AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 44 50.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 31.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 13.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-09, 13:42   Link #121
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Y'know, I was thinking about that at the time - I don't like the idea of Minami being an Eagle either. Really more like an elephant to me, sort of majestic, kind of shy. On the other hand, I think that really reflected more Yutaka's perception of Minami than Minami herself. Each of Kagami's observations showed insight into the person (except Miyuki, but that was obviously the gag), but Minami's showed insight into herself.
Old 2007-08-09, 14:03   Link #122
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Was that Minami as eagle?? I took it as angelic (angel of mercy)... .more like Setsuna-cool I guess.
Old 2007-08-09, 15:52   Link #123
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i like the idea minami as an eagle...as you can see she is full of pride and dominance in a mysterious sort of way :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-08-09, 16:04   Link #124
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She isn't prideful or dominating. A bit aloof, maybe. She's really more shy than anything.

Also, do the Japanese see the eagle as westerners do?
Old 2007-08-09, 19:27   Link #125
archanfels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She isn't prideful or dominating. A bit aloof, maybe. She's really more shy than anything.

I believe so, as Oscar Von Reuental from Legend of Galactic Heroes(a quite influential work), one of the most prideful characters out there, is constantly described as a black eagle.

That being said, I agree that eagle is more of a reflection of Yutaka's perception of Minami than Minami herself, and Yutaka, as innocent/naive as she is, just wanted to pick something "cool" for the best friend she looks up to.

Also agree w/ many of you that out of the new cast Misao is outstandingly adorable (in fact I've liked her since her first appearance), the hairstyle, the attitude, the fang, the voice! and the situational 3 seconds rule, wish to see her more
Old 2007-08-09, 22:21   Link #126
Hazelshock
Touch the bread and die

anyone know what date does episode 19 air?

Old 2007-08-09, 22:38   Link #127
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

EDIT
^ Usually Sunday, no?

Wait a minute, I thought I posted my thoughts on this ep? I guess I forgot to click the post button. >_>

Episode was great. I'm too lazy to retype everything though lol, but Kagami stare was the best.

But is Hiyori really a Fujoshi? I thought that term only applied to the yaoi fangirl aka Patty. Hiyori seems to be into shoujo-ai (imagining her friends in that relationship), but she's very familiar with shounen-ai lingo. Are the books in her shelf lean more into either side, I wonder...

Speaking of which, they should show Kona, Hiyori, and Patty going to comiket and highlight the differences on what they shop, lol.

Good thing about Guerrand subs is that if the character's faces are on the very bottom, they have the courtesy of actually putting the subs up top. That's what bothered me in every fansub group lol.

In terms of AFK dropping the subs, it may be put in hiatus for all we know. I mean, I'm a big fan of animal yokocho which is seemingly dropped, but I know it still gets episodes here and there. So LS might be on the same boat. After all, IIRC AFK is basically a one man group (one person does the three T's and the two E's but they have some people here and there for QC and distro). It's tough enough to do that for one series as a multi-person fansub group, but two series being done by one person? I think AFK is just more interested in SZS right now, so if anything LS is on hiatus.

Then again it may really be dropped, like some series of AFK's before it. Maybe Bayoab can give us some insight, though it looks like he hasn't been in this part of the boards as of late.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-08-09, 23:58   Link #128
crall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Good thing about Guerrand subs is that if the character's faces are on the very bottom, they have the courtesy of actually putting the subs up top. That's what bothered me in every fansub group lol.
It's kind of Ironic, but this is actually one of the few things with the Guerrand subs that annoy me.

I understand why they did it and a applaud them for the initiative. But, for me, it doesn't work.
It might be that I lack an ability that most people have, but when the subs are placed that far away from the "action" I find it difficult to see whats happening on the screen.
As a result I had to pause and rewind a couple of times in ep 18, and ignore the subs the second time I watched the scene, just to see what actually happened.

This isn't that big of a deal and considering the overall quality of the subs, especially for a speed sub, I'm more than happy with their work.

As there's no real point in me regurgitating what people have already said. I will abstain from giving my view on ep 18, even though this is the ep 18 discussion forum.

Last edited by crall; 2007-08-10 at 00:12.
Old 2007-08-10, 00:21   Link #129
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not certain but I know that Samurais keep Hawks (I don't think there are bald-headed eagle in Japan) as hunting pets. I don't know if there are noble attributes to them; it's probably something worthy looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archanfels View Post
I believe so, as Oscar Von Reuental from Legend of Galactic Heroes(a quite influential work), one of the most prideful characters out there, is constantly described as a black eagle.
I think that's more because the entire LGH saga is modeled after the German culture, and Germans, like other western civilization, get their idea of the proud Eagle from the Romans. Every Roman Army Standard has the Eagle on top (which Hitler copied).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^ Usually Sunday, no?
I think it's Sunday night at midnight or Monday morning.

Quote:
But is Hiyori really a Fujoshi? I thought that term only applied to the yaoi fangirl aka Patty. Hiyori seems to be into shoujo-ai (imagining her friends in that relationship), but she's very familiar with shounen-ai lingo. Are the books in her shelf lean more into either side, I wonder...
Her Fujoshi status was confirmed when she countered "seme" with "uke". She's into way more than BL... There are Yaoi doujin hidden in her secret hiding place I'm sure. She probably was at COMIKET 88 like Kona, but she was there during Yaoi day wearing a mask.

I really wish there are more Misao and the BL first graders in future episodes.. their adventures are way more interesting....

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-10 at 01:00.
Old 2007-08-10, 00:25   Link #130
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelshock View Post
anyone know what date does episode 19 air?
The first airing is in Chiba Sunday night at midnight, Japan time (as I see AVPlaya has already said). That's 11am Sunday in the eastern US.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-08-10 at 02:09.
Old 2007-08-10, 01:06   Link #131
Psycho Power J
Taking in Life's hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually.. I have ADD (not ADHD), diagnosed by a neurologist. Despite the "zone out" issue ... ADD types have the ability to *hyperfocus* (some scientists think Newton had ADD because of his personality, quirks, and the ability to completely absorb himself in a math problem for days at a time). -snip-
Actually Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is the same thing as Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder, which is the newer revised term. Hyperactivity appears associated with attention deficit to varying degrees. But rather than Attention Deficit, it's better to call it an Attention INHIBITION Disorder.

It's like having a radio with a screwy tuner. Sometimes, you're barely tuning into a station and broadcasts from different frequencies overlap with what you're listening to. Other times, it's spot on and you receive the signal crystal-clear.

And while Konata seem a good candidate for ADHD, MIYUKI is probably the one that fits it the most. From her habit of hyperfocusing when reading, to losing track of things whenever her attention is occupied by something else, she fits the bill. It's obviously inherited, so she's probably like that ever since she was young.

While forgetting things in the microwave rarely happens (it did happen) to me because of the signal when it stops, I've left the stove on more than a few times and cause more than one fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
I also don't agree with Minami being an Eagle... she doesn't seem to be full of pride to me, like an Eagle would, but she's rather self-conscious and probably the nicest girl in the show. Not at all aggressive, just a bit of a loner. She seemed more like a shy furry type animal to me.. not sure which one... Yui-nee-chan is more like a Tigress than a Leopard to me.. Leopards are slender and graceful creatures who likes solitude... Yui-nee-chan ain't graceful, and she sure as hell doesn't like being alone.
Minami doesn't fit any kind of a predator. She's more like a reindeer to me. A bit skittish, but has physical power.

Tigers are just as much a loner as leopards are. Yui seems more like a seal to me. Get depressed without her mate and likes lying around basking in the shore.
Old 2007-08-10, 05:24   Link #132
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Those animal are simple anime steorotypes that not relate to the actual caracter personality. See Konata logic for Miyuki. Yutaka just thinks her girlfriend is cool and mysterious thats why the eagle.

The general thread carry on this but....who is Taniguchi writing to? He is making a huge speech and the BAM cellphone cellphone and Akira-sama yells at him, jaja so funny.

Ahh this romance is pretty cute. Surely Shiraishi and Fukuhara are dating on real life. And they seem to be since episode 15, someone mencion that Tsukasa found Shiraishi atracctive at the concert.

I personally dont think Tayuri is gay, she si more like "Arrgh, I cant think this of my friends"
Old 2007-08-10, 05:53   Link #133
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I know AVPlaya asked to end the subject here, but this is just a quickie:

Quote:
Again, that depends on how you interpret the term. Professional translators of fictional texts will avoid leaving terms untranslated. They will not replace untranslatable terms by completely different terms of similar cultural status however.
Yes, they will, depending on the source text, the target language and the target readership. The way you approach a translation depends a lot on the context of the translation itself. And professional translators aren't people that always translate when possible or that have a single approach to a given subject--they are those who understand when it's okay to do so and when it is completely unnecessary and even hurtful for the final product.

(BTW, I'm studying English translation myself, so I have some idea of what I'm talking about )

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-08-10, 10:01   Link #134
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Power J View Post
And while Konata seem a good candidate for ADHD, MIYUKI is probably the one that fits it the most. From her habit of hyperfocusing when reading, to losing track of things whenever her attention is occupied by something else, she fits the bill. It's obviously inherited, so she's probably like that ever since she was young.

While forgetting things in the microwave rarely happens (it did happen) to me because of the signal when it stops, I've left the stove on more than a few times and cause more than one fire.
This is actually what I thought as well. My wife frequently sticks things in the microwave and wanders off to do something, forgetting it for several hours. Just as bad, she will frequently walk off in the middle of preparing dinner "for a few minutes" and not come back until hours later, during which time I finished whatever she was cooking and turned off everything.

And don't even get me started on how often I have to check the kitchen, just to make sure she hasn't left a burner or the oven on.

Anyway, to sum up, Miyuki seems more like she's actually suffering from ADD.
Old 2007-08-10, 12:04   Link #135
truehappiness

Lucky Star 17 and 18 are now out subbed by a.f.k.!

Drama over nothing!

UNSPEAKABLE
Old 2007-08-10, 12:20   Link #136
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

eyup.... as I suspected in ep 17 thread.... there was a prank in progress about the licensing. I don't mind the pranks. I'm more annoyed by the response to them --> as the "omigod is that true? Aiee!!" waves of people who seem to believe anything they read because someone said it on the net.... Remember, when someone claims something that seems amazing or scary, always ask for the cite or reference and verify it. Note: verification does not mean asking other random people....
Old 2007-08-10, 14:21   Link #137
Calawain
Gaijin

The magic of the internet, someone makes something up and it spins way out of control until people start believing that it's true. Now if someone watched both subs and could compare them for us that would be neato~
Old 2007-08-10, 16:03   Link #138
arias

Nice episode, but very visibly animated by either a B-team, or under serious time constraints. Worst animated episode of the series for me - which is still a darn high standard.
Old 2007-08-10, 19:41   Link #139
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Holy crap. I can't believe I missed this one.

Spoiler for Middle finger!:
Old 2007-08-10, 20:31   Link #140
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Holy crap. I can't believe I missed this one.

Spoiler for Middle finger!:
You must not wear glasses.
When I still wore glasses, I pushed them up with my middle finger all the time, as do many. It's just easier, since it's the longest one.

Don't be surprised, though, if you ever see people in several Asian countries pointing with that finger.
Closed Thread