AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-15, 08:22   Link #81
DownloadingData

One of the best shows for me this season.

I laughed so hard during some parts i had to grasp for air.
DownloadingData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 09:13   Link #82
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Whee, a real group (well, two, A-E&Saizen -- done a lot of good work in the past!) finally released it. Now I can finally start watching this properly. <3
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 10:42   Link #83
Karnot
Banned

Saizen & A-E sub is out...and funnily enough - they overdid it with the styling.
The show is in pastel tones, and they chose to make a light brown border on the subs. Mostly it blends with light brown of character's hair, or light orange of the floor and stuff.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 10:46   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

figures... right after I finish downloading the other one under slow throttle mode.... :P

but then again, it sounds like the new groups have mucked up basic palette choices.... sometimes I feel like giving community college coupons out for basic "art in the interface" design courses (or some course where they teach people about interface design color selection).
Old 2007-10-15, 11:13   Link #85
iczelion74
Lost Soul

Chiaki images, you have them? I want them.
iczelion74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 11:49   Link #86
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_hair View Post
A sub file has been released, for those of you who can't wait. Timed to the [S^M] Minami-ke 01 RAW.avi file.
Has one been released for those of us who can't wait for the sub for Ep 02?
Old 2007-10-15, 12:32   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay... actually watched first episode.

We've got three somewhat archetypal but interesting personalities in 3 sisters.
Haruka == motherly but a bit slow; Kana == ADHD (Miu 2.0); and Chiaki == a daylight version of Anju (from the series Karin).

I think I'm most fond of Chiaki "Anju Mk 2". Her ghastly subtle revenge on her sister in the love letter arc was sublime brilliance and Kana never had a clue. Ah well, I hope lover-boy is persistent.

The pacing of the show seemed to be somewhat erratic but I get the impression that is on purpose as it directly relates to the "Life Speed" that each sister lives at.

Animation and directing is interesting and a bit eccentric --- the director seems to be trying to do some really interesting things on a shoestring budget. Some very subtle sexy moments with each sister were portrayed -- emphasis on the subtle and non-distracting

Soooooo, are there no parents? Is there a manga explanation for the missing (frankly, I'd like to see the parents that have to cope with these three).

Some clear homages to AzuDa and I.M. though I've not seen the manga and those homages may be part of the source material as well.

Fansubbing notes:
The "Anonymous" sub used a white font with black edging, softened edges -- a bit harsh but not eye-twisting.
However, the "a-e&saizen" sub .... the brown edging was *really* hard on the eyes against the color palette of the episode. I like the idea of the edging for clarity --- but something a bit darker (but not black) would have been better. Its just a Bad Idea to use font colors that are too much like the predominant background.

I'm a bit of a fan of using color marking to identify the speaker (at least the main characters) but I recognize that adds extra work and some planning.
At the moment, I give Anonymous a few more points for font/color choice.

Both groups efforts at translation are acceptable, conveying the spirit and "the way they might say it in english" without adding too much that wasn't intended. Each has certain translations that I prefer (i.e. I like the 'Anonymous' harsher translation of Kana berating her younger sister when Chiaki arrives home -- more "true to the moment" ... but I prefer the 'a-e&s' version of the initial breakfast prep scene and its inclusion of what Kana was chanting).
Its a Good Thing when its rough to choose

So outside of the font color issue, either sub is fine with me though the 99MB file size (a-e&s) versus the 212MB file size (anon) is a definite choice shifter in my case.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-10-15 at 12:56.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 12:57   Link #88
Ayanami9870
ANBU Editor/QC
*Fansubber

Exclamation

I've noticed two posts regarding the dialogue subtitles being too light brown in the A-E Saizen version. I agree, it is usually better to maintain readability with a darker text border so long as it's not pitch black for a show like this. I'll pass the suggestion along.
Ayanami9870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 13:10   Link #89
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks, outstanding subbing (timing, translation, etc) ... I'd hate it if my wife gave up on it just because she found it too hard to see (astigmatism).
Old 2007-10-15, 14:17   Link #90
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I didn't think that the sub was too hard to see, but does anyone think that it's a bit too large? Perhaps you should make the subs similar to the karaoke subs, because I really like those.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 14:34   Link #91
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Soooooo, are there no parents? Is there a manga explanation for the missing (frankly, I'd like to see the parents that have to cope with these three).
Nope, no parents in sight. Tho there's an uncle of something, who comes once in a while.
Another thing is, even tho they seem to be loaded (what with the HUGE apartment) - they do laundry and cooking and stuff. And parents could probably hire someone as well.

Quote:
I hope lover-boy is persistent.
You have no idea.

Quote:
those homages may be part of the source material as well.
They are.

Quote:
I like the 'Anonymous' harsher translation of Kana berating her younger sister when Chiaki arrives home -- more "true to the moment"
Yeah, i especially like the "bitch" part, even tho it may be stretching it...

Quote:
Correct answer: The sole of the foot.
Say wha ? You can actually see the sole of someone who sits ? That task would reqire x-ray vision, i gather.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 14:39   Link #92
U<3Anime
Boo!

Just watched episode 2 and it's definitely more dialog intensive. Had no clue what they were saying most of time, so most of the jokes were lost in translation. I really want to know what pissed Haruka off. Is it because her friend shouts out the colour of her panties? Haruka can actually be quite scary when she gets angry ^^; The only part i bursted out laughing was when Chiaki imagines a giant white teddy bear and has a black stripe on his body. That part is so random xD Seriously want the subs quick, I'll even take the sub file if there's one.
Old 2007-10-15, 15:54   Link #93
Dop
Mmmm....

Just seen the first episode, and I really liked it.
It may be trying to be "Azumanga Mashimaro" (I mean, come on. Kana is definitely what Miu would be like at a later age) but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

It's on my list of things to watch this season, for sure.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 17:10   Link #94
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks for the info, Karnot... hmmm, I may need to go acquire the manga if this sort of hilarity continues.
Old 2007-10-15, 17:17   Link #95
Leedizzle

Anyone know the piece that they used during the chase scene?
Leedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 18:57   Link #96
hat_hair

http://rapidshare.com/files/62834051..._ep02.ass.html

There's the episode 2 sub file. Again timed to the [S^M] raw.

Also, for added ease of use, as an image. Download, re-name to a .rar file, and extract the file.
Spoiler for Subs embedded as image.:

As an aside, I hate Japanese puns.
hat_hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 19:59   Link #97
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I'm not sure what to make of this anime just from the first episode so I'll keep watching it a bit more to see if it's good or not. It made me grin at some scenes but not something that made me go laugh out loud. Kana is dumber than a rock that's for sure.
Old 2007-10-15, 20:12   Link #98
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Im really looking forward to watching this series, as I'm always a big of fan of Comedy so that's a plus for me
And the ending and Opening are extremely catchy another plus!
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 23:54   Link #99
5il3nc3r

So i heard there is going to be two versions of Minami-ke? Same VAs?
5il3nc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 00:54   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I saw the ad for two versions of Minami-ke, the next one to air in jan 08. Some slight color variations and a minor style difference. It *looks* like the next Minami-ke will be a sequel but this whole 'dual studio' thing is just rather odd. No idea on the VAs but different ones would be even odder.

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life