AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-11, 18:01   Link #2541
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm pretty sure Ending just stated the Problem of Evil argument. It's been discussed to to death already, by philosophers and Internet lurkers alike. Lets just not go there.
Annoying argument, anyway. Just because a deity doesn't stop evil doesn't mean it can't. It may mean it chooses not to--and if we're talking Christianity here, that would be the correct assumption. The "good book" itself offers plenty of evidence to prove the evil of the god it exhalts.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 18:45   Link #2542
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Mmm, I've always thought that if there is a sentient creator figure (God), he definitely isn't benevolent to the point of interfering. I think if God exists he must be some kind of scientific experimenter: he sets up a nearly infinite sphere with certain conditions then watches the results play out on their own.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 19:14   Link #2543
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Even if there is a godlike force out there, I don't know why people tend to be obsessed with the idea of a conscious god, a being like a human that makes decisions that affect our everyday lives.

If there is such a force, I doubt the ability of the human mind to truly be able to conceptualize such a force in any detailed manner anyhow.

This is why I tend to find eastern philosophy and religions to be "better" if that is the right word (Though I'm an agnostic leaning towards atheism).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 19:42   Link #2544
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Even if there is a godlike force out there, I don't know why people tend to be obsessed with the idea of a conscious god, a being like a human that makes decisions that affect our everyday lives.

If there is such a force, I doubt the ability of the human mind to truly be able to conceptualize such a force in any detailed manner anyhow.

This is why I tend to find eastern philosophy and religions to be "better" if that is the right word (Though I'm an agnostic leaning towards atheism).
I'm pretty similar. I don't think that defining "god" as an entity really makes any sense. If god is infinitely complex which they would have to be to create the universe, then it really can't be an entity. Distinguishing god from the universe then, I also think of as pointless because it must be an internal, incomprehensible force that encompasses everything. The universe fits the bill on its own.

From what I've read early Buddhist schools seem more or less compatible with atheism in most of the major philosophies. Later Buddhist schools though, as they spread seem to have been changed substantially intermingling with cultural elements of different societies.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 21:34   Link #2545
sergho
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Curious... do you *wear* something that says "I'm religious"? I've never seen *any* one in a coffeeshop "accosted by an atheist" out of the blue. I have, otoh, been routinely "accosted" (usually nicely) by people attempting to save souls (that is, follow their special version of "Truth", patent pending).

And remember --- 90% of people waving a flag for some belief or non-belief probably can't argue their way out of a paper bag. They've just joined a team on some murky arm-waving or soundbite. Others were just born in a belief and haven't done any deep analysis.
i guess the word got out in the coffee that I was religious. i do my homework there and we all talk.

atheists have a compulsion to talk about god, more than i
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 21:37   Link #2546
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
I believe that there are Powers That Be that are greater than us humans and are responisble for this universe. I don't have any interest in naming them or telling other people what to think. I'd rather treat my fellow humans with respect and tolerance, try to be a good person every day and try to be a good force in the world. I'll let the Powers That Be do what they need to do.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 02:56   Link #2547
Gazpacho
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
No religion, like most Japanese.
Gazpacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 07:15   Link #2548
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY, USA
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
I am undecided.
__________________
Sin of Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 08:59   Link #2549
O.D.
Lurking Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Ever since I was small, I was fascinated at how the world works, at how all the little particles gather togheter to form what we all call reality. However, I never really found any convincing answers in the Cristian Orthodox religion, in which I was baptised (against my will). And so, as I grew up and started viewing science, logic and philosophy as being far more realistic than the religious teachings, I gradually turned away from the Christian doctrine.

Now, I guess I'm pretty much agnostic (well, with a good deal of respect for the religions of Japan). I actually find Shinto much more interesting than the teachings of kirishitan-ism. ^^
O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 09:01   Link #2550
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beach shores!
Hmmm believe in one god. Believe in his son Jesus Christ. Through them can you truly be happy. By praying(if lost), you will feel better. But, I'm a bit shaky with religion stuff. Especially when I meet those extremists who force thy opinions down on me. I do not mind what religion you go by however. Even if it's about killing yourself, that's all you. But for now, my religion is live life to the fullest and always ask for/thank the Lord's support when I feel insecure, lost, etc and always stay optimistic and inquisitive in life.
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 09:16   Link #2551
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY, USA
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin of Memories View Post
I am undecided.
Actually I should not say this...


I do not believe that there is an almighty power like a God, but I believe there is a higher power, in some form. No matter what being, they cannot be omnipotent. Nothing in this world is perfect and everything has its flaws. This higher power does not have the ability to create nor destroy, but only observe. That is its purpose. I also believe that your soul takes a rest in an place far from the reach of others were we meet up with our dearly departed. That is what I believe.

I also believe that one can share his or her memories and experiences with those of the departed by visiting that said person's grave. Even if you do not speak, they hear what you want to tell them. It is like their personal mailbox ^_^

I have no religion as I find religion (any) flawed in some way or other, thus I believe those 2 things.
__________________
Sin of Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:40   Link #2552
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I'm pretty indifferent. I'm a "wait and see" kind of person. I don't care what happens after death! Probably just going to be a void of nothingness where we can't feel, see, hear, or think.
__________________
Nadeko_Sengoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 20:39   Link #2553
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY, USA
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
I do not care what happens after death either. To me there is no heave or hell, only another world.
__________________
Sin of Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 21:16   Link #2554
Kaelidoscopes
Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Under my bed; eatin' my tater chips.
"Spiritual, but not religious."
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Kaelidoscopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 16:37   Link #2555
Lord Uiruu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 21
atheist am i
Lord Uiruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 21:53   Link #2556
Chrisjon
In 7/4 tyme
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Pit
Age: 21
I am a deist.
__________________
Chrisjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 22:26   Link #2557
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Age: 33
See my signature below!
__________________
Primary Faith: Christianity Secondary Faith: Holoism
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 16:40   Link #2558
idiffer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 25
Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin of Memories View Post
Actually I should not say this...


I do not believe that there is an almighty power like a God, but I believe there is a higher power, in some form. No matter what being, they cannot be omnipotent. Nothing in this world is perfect and everything has its flaws. This higher power does not have the ability to create nor destroy, but only observe. That is its purpose. I also believe that your soul takes a rest in an place far from the reach of others were we meet up with our dearly departed. That is what I believe.

I also believe that one can share his or her memories and experiences with those of the departed by visiting that said person's grave. Even if you do not speak, they hear what you want to tell them. It is like their personal mailbox ^_^

I have no religion as I find religion (any) flawed in some way or other, thus I believe those 2 things.
the whole concept of a higher power loses meaning, if its not omnipotent. the whole concept of god and god-like entities, such as atman, tao and so on is that they are in fact perfect. so perfect that they have no form, you cannot perceive them. they are nothing and everything AT THE SAME frickin time. they are in the past, present and future AT THE SAME frickin time. read up these things a little. i really doont like ppl saying things like "i can form my own opinion without stupid books or ppl telling me what to do". well, this may be a guess on my part. but the symptoms are there.
using logic, you come to the conclusion that either there is an endless cycle (this created the world, that created this, x created that) or there is god, which is all and didnt need creating for he always was and always will be.
(btw i'm not referng to the christian god. just in general)
__________________
My posts seem retarted? I invoke the freedomof choice upon thee to choose one of the below.
a) Iím batshit insane or mentally challenged. Nyan!
b) Wasu~p?! *brofist*
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 17:05   Link #2559
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
the whole concept of a higher power loses meaning, if its not omnipotent. the whole concept of god and god-like entities, such as atman, tao and so on is that they are in fact perfect. so perfect that they have no form, you cannot perceive them. they are nothing and everything AT THE SAME frickin time. they are in the past, present and future AT THE SAME frickin time. read up these things a little. i really doont like ppl saying things like "i can form my own opinion without stupid books or ppl telling me what to do". well, this may be a guess on my part. but the symptoms are there.
using logic, you come to the conclusion that either there is an endless cycle (this created the world, that created this, x created that) or there is god, which is all and didnt need creating for he always was and always will be.
(btw i'm not referng to the christian god. just in general)
For someone boasting about his religious education, you're pretty narrow minded on what constitute a God, aren't you? The Greeks were famous for having very human like Gods (powerful but imperfect and limited), and they're hardly unique.

Also, your logic is pretty spotty. Why should there be a creator at all? And why can't time have a beginning?

At last, I can bloody well form an opinion without a stupid book or person to tell me what to do. I've never heard of a religion that didn't boil down to "because I feel it's so" as its basis, and I don't need other people to feel. I can do it on my own, for all the good it does in unraveling the mysteries of the universe.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 17:27   Link #2560
idiffer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 25
Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
For someone boasting about his religious education, you're pretty narrow minded on what constitute a God, aren't you? The Greeks were famous for having very human like Gods (powerful but imperfect and limited), and they're hardly unique.

Also, your logic is pretty spotty. Why should there be a creator at all? And why can't time have a beginning?

At last, I can bloody well form an opinion without a stupid book or person to tell me what to do. I've never heard of a religion that didn't boil down to "because I feel it's so" as its basis, and I don't need other people to feel. I can do it on my own, for all the good it does in unraveling the mysteries of the universe.
i know, but the greeks were primitive. their religious system as their philosophy (well, aristotel for example) were pretty simple and down to earth. how can you settle for this - a god just appeared at the beginning of time out of nowhere wearing a robe, looking very human and decided to create the world.
yes, everything stems from what you feel is right, but the more you know, the more it narrows down. u think its just a coincidence that so many religions share alot of the same concepts?
and if there is no creator, i would like to see your worldview of how that would be like, please. nothing is impossible, but i am interested.
__________________
My posts seem retarted? I invoke the freedomof choice upon thee to choose one of the below.
a) Iím batshit insane or mentally challenged. Nyan!
b) Wasu~p?! *brofist*
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.