AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-01-17, 20:45   Link #2881
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

I'm a Muslim but not really a faithful one, lol XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
Regarding the fact that eating meat is bad and a few other things
well, I'm sure that's not Islamic belief. After all, Muslims have a religious event named Eid-al Adha. That is an event where we sacrifice cattle animals (Camels, cows, sheeps, and goats) and have their meat distributed to the poor for their food.

But, just like other religions, Islam also has many sects. I never heard of any which forbid eating meat, though.

Sorry if I'm being off-topic. Just trying to clarify things about my religion
Old 2011-01-17, 21:44   Link #2882
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

Agnosticism seems the most fitting.
In the Devil Town
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 21:54   Link #2883
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Elements of Taoism, Buddhism, Shinto, and Christianity make up my "religion".
Old 2011-01-17, 22:20   Link #2884
loveluna4

I've noticed a lot of people having a much loser personal definition of their spirituality (myself included). I think it's a good thing, personally. It seems like this generation has more people thinking for themselves. Much better than being preached to and told what to believe in like some mindless drone.

Or maybe it's just an otaku thing?
Old 2011-01-18, 00:48   Link #2885
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
But, just like other religions, Islam also has many sects. I never heard of any which forbid eating meat, though.
In the BC ages there must have been an exchange with Buddhists along the silk route, who practice vegetarian diets. Probably one of the lesser known sects...there is a ghost-catching deity in Taoist culture (one of Hades' warriors) who cannot be served pork, and temples bearing that deity are not allowed to serve pork to any of the gods within.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 01:12   Link #2886
David Watts
Stay Free

Send a message via MSN to David Watts
Im an episcopalian which is kind of like being a Catholic without the dogma and the belief in the pope
Old 2011-01-19, 09:14   Link #2887
Jjo

I was raised Buddhist, without all the extra stuff and mostly just the core beliefs. ^^;
Jjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 09:17   Link #2888
Taufiq91

A Muslim, but not really faithful and i dont shove my beliefs down other's throats, Thank God.

I'm gonna go to Mecca this March, and i'll have some Yotsuba & I to accompany me
Old 2011-01-19, 09:18   Link #2889
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue

Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
I am Catholic, but I hate to go to the church xD
Old 2011-01-19, 10:49   Link #2890
starrysky77

I haven't got a religion, really.
starrysky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 11:33   Link #2891
TWWK

Christian: raised that way, became agnostic while researching other religions (an no belief at all), and really became a disciple of Christ during my junior year of college
Old 2011-01-19, 19:49   Link #2892
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Sorry for going off-topic a bit.

Quote:
I only heard they forbid eating pork but other meat was acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
In the BC ages there must have been an exchange with Buddhists along the silk route, who practice vegetarian diets. Probably one of the lesser known sects...there is a ghost-catching deity in Taoist culture (one of Hades' warriors) who cannot be served pork, and temples bearing that deity are not allowed to serve pork to any of the gods within.
Well there are many sects of Islam that I still need to learn, but this is probably where I got my no-pork eating idea while we were studying in class.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 20:34   Link #2893
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well there are many sects of Islam that I still need to learn, but this is probably where I got my no-pork eating idea while we were studying in class.
That's true, but the prohibition of eating pork has been there since the religion is established, so it's not because of the cultural exchange.
Old 2011-01-19, 20:36   Link #2894
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
That's true, but the prohibition of eating pork has been there since the religion is established, so it's not because of the cultural exchange.
That's what I thought and was confused when someone said they forbid meat. If they forbid meat, then while I was studying on the religion it would say more then just "pork" to it involving the meat category. Must be in one of the many sections of Islam that I don't know.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 21:20   Link #2895
Seishin
私は、和のかがみのココロ

Send a message via MSN to Seishin
I am Pagan. My beliefs consist of many other religions, including Wiccan, Abrahamic, Native American Spirituality and many others.
Old 2011-01-19, 22:02   Link #2896
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I worship people.

Because we're evidently awesome.

I shall call it, Humanism.
Wait, no, that was already made. >.>
Hm...
Old 2011-01-19, 23:15   Link #2897
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveluna4 View Post
I've noticed a lot of people having a much loser personal definition of their spirituality (myself included). I think it's a good thing, personally. It seems like this generation has more people thinking for themselves. Much better than being preached to and told what to believe in like some mindless drone.

Or maybe it's just an otaku thing?

I'm one of many of those people. Spiritual but not religious. I have my spirituality influenced mostly by Christianity, Buddhism, and Taoism. I'd say in that order, too. I find truths taught in every major world religion, but I'm kind of agnostic. I wonder which of those religions is the most accurate; the truest of them all.

I try to uphold good moral standards. Most important of all is how I treat and regard other people, and other beings like animals. On that last part, I'm not a vegetarian, but sometimes I wonder if I should become one because of how it has one not supporting the meat industry. I don't know if I could make the move to that easily, though. I do like eating meat and that is the best way to get the protein you need.
Old 2011-01-19, 23:36   Link #2898
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
On that last part, I'm not a vegetarian, but sometimes I wonder if I should become one because of how it has one not supporting the meat industry. I don't know if I could make the move to that easily, though. I do like eating meat and that is the best way to get the protein you need.
I'm in a similar position, not so much because I worry about supporting the meat industry as I just feel like a bit of a hypocrite. I'm reminded of a friend of a friend (yeah, one of those stories...) who allegedly took his son out to a paddock on his 13th birthday, handed him a knife and said "right boy, you're old enough that if you want to eat meat you should respect it: either cut this sheep's throat or you never eat meat under my roof again."

Half of me thinks what a horrible thing to do to a kid, but the other half thinks that if I'd been put in that situation I'd probably be vegetarian today.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 04:22   Link #2899
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm in a similar position, not so much because I worry about supporting the meat industry as I just feel like a bit of a hypocrite. I'm reminded of a friend of a friend (yeah, one of those stories...) who allegedly took his son out to a paddock on his 13th birthday, handed him a knife and said "right boy, you're old enough that if you want to eat meat you should respect it: either cut this sheep's throat or you never eat meat under my roof again."

Half of me thinks what a horrible thing to do to a kid, but the other half thinks that if I'd been put in that situation I'd probably be vegetarian today.

That's horrible.... That's child abuse, and a kind of terrorism..... it's striking fear to a child. If he has to choose something, it should be done away from psychological torture.... Obviously, there is a bias in the part of the Dad....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 04:24   Link #2900
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

^ I'd say it's a good idea but I think the dad should've waited until he was a bit older.

Quote:
Sorry for going off-topic a bit.

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I thought and was confused when someone said they forbid meat. If they forbid meat, then while I was studying on the religion it would say more then just "pork" to it involving the meat category. Must be in one of the many sections of Islam that I don't know.
Um, I'm not entirely sure what the confusion is but just to clarify:

Muslims can eat but the meat must be made halal (lawful). If it's not made halal then it becomes haraam (forbidden). Due to various reasons pork is an exception that can not be made halal.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion