AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-22, 00:59   Link #101
Irwin1138
Tri Zába
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 26
"why he like to reveal his religion" OR "why he does not like to reveal his religion" ?
__________________
Irwin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 01:55   Link #102
Gemstar
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trinidad.....anyone get me out of here !
I think I am agnostic. But when I searched what is Agnostic I got " One who believes nothing which cannot be demonstrated by the senses. " The thing is I both believe in nothing and something. Does anyone understand what I am saying ? There can be a God and there also cannot be one. For every religion there is a specific type of God. And I cannot prove it, or can anyone can ? I cannot prove either if it exists or does not so how can I place judgment ? Anyway what do you call a person like me if there is a name ? Or like you don't have to find a name for me besides the name I was given when I was born !
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 02:14   Link #103
anti-random
We want chicken tonight
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Age: 23
I sorta get what you mean. So you believe in a higher being. Yes (maybe its the vibe I get). I guess people like you are called anything. Anyway, don't worry about i know tons of people who are like you, so its absolutely normal (in Australia anyway).
__________________

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 06:28   Link #104
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 27
im a catholic, but thats what my parents are, basically i am one because of them, i dont mind anyway, i believe in myself and believe God stands more for hope rather than something that you pray to to make things happen, i pray once in a while but then just to get some hope in a situation, i believe in a heaven and hell and in rebirth, i believe in karma and that you must do things yourself to get somehting done instead of praying and hoping it would happen, i dont believe in fate but also that you go through struggles to get stronger :3 meow
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 06:57   Link #105
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
I think I am agnostic. But when I searched what is Agnostic I got " One who believes nothing which cannot be demonstrated by the senses. " The thing is I both believe in nothing and something. Does anyone understand what I am saying ? There can be a God and there also cannot be one. For every religion there is a specific type of God. And I cannot prove it, or can anyone can ? I cannot prove either if it exists or does not so how can I place judgment ? Anyway what do you call a person like me if there is a name ? Or like you don't have to find a name for me besides the name I was given when I was born !
That's agnostic. Not knowing either way.

Atheism is firmly believing there is/are no God(s), while agnosticism is not being able to know/decide whether there is or not.

From Wiki, "Agnostics claim either that it is not possible to have absolute or certain knowledge of the existence or nonexistence of God or gods; or, alternatively, that while individual certainty may be possible, they personally have no knowledge. Agnosticism in both cases involves some form of skepticism."

Further reading if you so care:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theism

The three main groups of thought. Best to know the terms properly to correctly explain your beliefs in discussions like this. ^^
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 07:28   Link #106
capture
Saber's Husband XD
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to capture
I'm a catholic...

and yeah almost the same as Karuma's reason...

in deciding my destiny I don't rely on some miracle will happen to have a good destiny instead I rely on myself to struggle and reach it...
__________________
capture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 09:01   Link #107
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
@Asai

The atheism/agnosticism distinction is not so clear (as one can easily see reading the wiki pages) and I don't find it very useful. There are some things I really, really, firmly believe in, for example that the sun will rise tomorrow again, at a certain place on the horizon, and at a certain time. And even here, 'firmly' means to 99.999999999 percent and not 100! I do believe in the non-existence of gods but not with that certainity. I also don't give this "belief" a central role I construct my whole philosophy of life around (something which a true believer does). And I would outright deny that believing in nonexistence of gods is a belief in the religious sense at all, as it is often claimed. Technically this might make me an agnosticist (or not, depending on the exact interpretation of the terms in question). Still, I prefer to call myself an atheist and not an agnosticist since the latter term sounds, at least in the watered-down folk meaning, to wishiwashi, as if a dose of scepticm and hanging the whole question a bit lower means that one does not or should not have a 'serious' opinion at all.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 09:25   Link #108
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
@Asai
(or not, depending on the exact interpretation of the terms in question).
Therein lies the problem. The terms have variable interpretations, however for general purposes (such as a census or other 'official' labelling of religion) atheist = disbeliever, agnostic = indifferent.

I can easily call myself an agnostic, because I really don't care either way. If some religion is right in the end, great for them, if not, no loss for me. =p Wishy-washy is one way to put it, though.

I'll argue the point that an agnostic can't have a serious opinion, though. I've studied a lot of religion and made my choice 'to sit on the fence' based on that, it's not a matter of not being informed enough to have a valid opinion, just not knowing enough of solid, believable truth to follow a religious path. (ie. devoting my life to a god that may not doesn't exist seems silly to me) however I respect all religions and their followers equally.

Religion is a fascinating thing. One of the most interesting facets of humanity, due to the differing opinions, and the fact some people can be so devoted to something they have no tangible proof of is quite incredible to me. There has to be some kind of meaning behind it all, I think. Thus why I will patiently listen to all views offered.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 11:07   Link #109
Icehawk
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 32
No religion, I've been atheist for the last 6 years or so. My parents were liberal christians and as such was raised with a liberal christian mindset. However, even when I used to believe in the general mythos of christianity I was never much a fan of organized religion. It took alot of time and study before I was able to call myself an atheist but it was a very liberating experience when I finally could. Life, the universe, etc, all seems much more wonderous and interesting to me when its seen with a free mind without a religious filter in place.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 12:18   Link #110
Glance Reviver
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indonesia
Send a message via Yahoo to Glance Reviver
I'm a Muslim. Not a devout Muslim but a Muslim nonetheless.
Glance Reviver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 13:35   Link #111
Meaux
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
My parents are muslim, but I don't feel like one.
Instead I created my own religion.. =)

Not that I want to be the new Jezus or something.. :P It's just that I believe that everybody should have his own beliefs and not what someone else tells you to have..

But it is a religion.. But it's too complex to explain it in 1 post, it involves a theory about the creation of God, and with that.. I created my own God.. =) Also.. My English is not very perfect, so it makes it kinda hard to explain.. =)
Meaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 14:13   Link #112
Glance Reviver
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indonesia
Send a message via Yahoo to Glance Reviver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
My parents are muslim, but I don't feel like one.
Instead I created my own religion.. =)

Not that I want to be the new Jezus or something.. :P It's just that I believe that everybody should have his own beliefs and not what someone else tells you to have..

But it is a religion.. But it's too complex to explain it in 1 post, it involves a theory about the creation of God, and with that.. I created my own God.. =) Also.. My English is not very perfect, so it makes it kinda hard to explain.. =)
Interesting. So what do you call this new religion of yours? Mind sharing your theories with us?
Glance Reviver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 18:57   Link #113
User65554
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I don't really have a religion. I guess I'm an atheist, which really is odd, as both my parents were raised catholic, but did not raise me to any religion.

I guess really I belive that everything has a scientific explenation, and at times that can seem like a slightly irrational belief.
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 19:02   Link #114
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
My parents are muslim, but I don't feel like one.
Instead I created my own religion.. =)

Not that I want to be the new Jezus or something.. :P It's just that I believe that everybody should have his own beliefs and not what someone else tells you to have..

But it is a religion.. But it's too complex to explain it in 1 post, it involves a theory about the creation of God, and with that.. I created my own God.. =) Also.. My English is not very perfect, so it makes it kinda hard to explain.. =)
Depending on how loosely you define a religion, a new religion is born everyday in our modern consumerist society. Hence, yeah, I agree with Vexx, whatever you choose to believe in, I hope it's at least entertaining for you, and ultimately useful for others as well.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 19:03   Link #115
Gemstar
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trinidad.....anyone get me out of here !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
Therein lies the problem. The terms have variable interpretations, however for general purposes (such as a census or other 'official' labelling of religion) atheist = disbeliever, agnostic = indifferent.

I can easily call myself an agnostic, because I really don't care either way. If some religion is right in the end, great for them, if not, no loss for me. =p Wishy-washy is one way to put it, though.

I'll argue the point that an agnostic can't have a serious opinion, though. I've studied a lot of religion and made my choice 'to sit on the fence' based on that, it's not a matter of not being informed enough to have a valid opinion, just not knowing enough of solid, believable truth to follow a religious path. (ie. devoting my life to a god that may not doesn't exist seems silly to me) however I respect all religions and their followers equally.

Religion is a fascinating thing. One of the most interesting facets of humanity, due to the differing opinions, and the fact some people can be so devoted to something they have no tangible proof of is quite incredible to me. There has to be some kind of meaning behind it all, I think. Thus why I will patiently listen to all views offered.
I agree, listening is a good thing you are helping them because they have your ear but you don't have anything. In other words you are helping them without receiving anything, that in itself if was a religion would sound like a good religion to me. Since Atheist is more on the dis-belief side and Agnostic is not on any side then are they religions. What does the word religion exactly mean. The way how I interpret it is a form which people gather to worship a God for faith belief and spirit. To me it's not about winning or losing and given the name Agnostic, before I even heard of that word I didn't know I was that but since I know the word I am labeled that. I was my name before that word came about. It requires too much effort to actually figure out what is religion and why people do it. The best I can do for a topic like this is just explain myself how I operate around people who is in religion and people who speak about it. Did I say the saying people with opinions just go about arguing ? Without any opinion there would be no argument right just you and yourself, expressing yourself and being yourself. How great is that, you being the person you were meant to be, born to be.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 23:51   Link #116
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Takeru Send a message via Skype™ to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
Seems like there is a high ratio of Atheists/Agnostics. I wonder if this is a high concentration these days in most areas? Not to be direct, I find a lot of Atheists within our group - anime otaku.
Funny you should say that. I actually reside in the most church-filled city in Colorado. And looking at the phone book, there are over 80-something different denominations and religions here. And I'm not one of any. Even though I'm dragged to the 2nd largest every sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Note on creating religions: It should be as entertaining as spaghetti.
My cousin actually created a "mock" religion he called "Go-ism" to where it worshiped different kinds of cars.

did someone have a birthday? I swear you were 49 just the other day.
__________________
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 00:38   Link #117
innominate
hiatus almost permanent
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
*offtopic*
Quote:
did someone have a birthday? I swear you were 49 just the other day.
A happy birthday to Vexx too, from me. =D

*on topic*
Um, spaghetti, as in, the church of fsm? =o.

There's something that intrigues me, though: Is there such a religion that believes in the existence of (a) god, but at the same time accepts the existence of other gods from other religions, in the sense that their gods and those 'other gods' co-exist in accordance to this religion despite the possible conflict of belief (with the other religions)?

gah; T_T what kind of words am I using...
__________________







& paint the world in muddled smudges
like spilled ink over canvas;

innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 01:09   Link #118
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
^ Then you would be thinking closer along the lines of Pantheism.

I'm no expert, but I believe that is how Hinduism works.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 01:20   Link #119
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Pastafarian, at the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 02:33   Link #120
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Let's keep this thread relatively serious and on topic please. Any further mention of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (or other similar cults/religions) will just get the entire post deleted. If you have a problem with this then PM me, do not post about it here.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.