AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-11, 20:27   Link #1761
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 29
I'm Protestant.

Not really much else to it than that.
__________________

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 21:13   Link #1762
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In a kingdom where I drive everyone insane!!
Age: 21
I was born and raised as a Wiccan.

The rituals, classes, and drumming lessons are really fun!
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 22:02   Link #1763
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 20
Agnostic. I'm not completely atheist, I do not dismiss the possibility that there is a god, or some greater being out there. I do believe the Big Bang theory to be very plausible sounding.

But overall I just try not to think about it. And if there is a god, I don't think he expects us to do bad things and then just pray for forgiveness. I just think that we need to live a fulfilling life, and be a courteous person.
Mr Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 22:06   Link #1764
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Lots of atheists here(reminds me of japan). But I think most of the people who declared they're atheists are, in truth, actually agnostics. I mean... since all our scientific explanations regarding the origins of the world are all based on theoretical assumptions, denying the possibility of a supernatural being existence is a bit hard. Then again, Existence of God could possibly be a scientific theory itself. I, myself, think agnosticism to be the most intellectual/scientific stand.
Lack of evidence's never stopped theists. Why should atheists be held to a higher standard?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 22:12   Link #1765
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Lack of evidence's never stopped theists. Why should atheists be held to a higher standard?
I wasn't complimenting atheism/agnoticism. I was playfully looking down at how its so limited by (current)science. Its the most scientific stand(cross intellectual), therefore, people who follow it are so bounded by lack of intuition. Symbolisms may not be the most factual or practical explanations, but I believe it holds greater wit beyond simple(current)human comprehension---science(current). Don't get me wrong, science's value is great but it really is too limited to (religiously) depend on.

EDIT: (to the person who rep'd me) I apologize for not being clear.

Last edited by Cipher; 2009-09-12 at 21:23.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 23:37   Link #1766
LusterFlare
Lost.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bland View Post
Agnostic. I'm not completely atheist, I do not dismiss the possibility that there is a god, or some greater being out there. I do believe the Big Bang theory to be very plausible sounding.

But overall I just try not to think about it. And if there is a god, I don't think he expects us to do bad things and then just pray for forgiveness. I just think that we need to live a fulfilling life, and be a courteous person.
Well said. That's pretty much the same for me.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 11:28   Link #1767
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Christian.

That's about it, really.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 13:00   Link #1768
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Scientologist because in my opinion god and jesus are made up stories from the past to scare people from doing bad things. and other stuff. Humanity has been swindling each other since the stone ages.
Wait... what??????? labeling other religions as "made up stories" and then declaring yourself a member of a group that... ???? .... well, okay, good luck with that idea.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 13:34   Link #1769
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wait... what??????? labeling other religions as "made up stories" and then declaring yourself a member of a group that... ???? .... well, okay, good luck with that idea.
Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. Care to share why you think of Scientology as more credible, Kyero Fox?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 13:54   Link #1770
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Lots of atheists here(reminds me of japan). But I think most of the people who declared they're atheists are, in truth, actually agnostics. I mean... since all our scientific explanations regarding the origins of the world are all based on theoretical assumptions, denying the possibility of a supernatural being existence is a bit hard. Then again, Existence of God could possibly be a scientific theory itself. I, myself, think agnosticism to be the most intellectual/scientific stand.
I'm an atheist.
And certainly not agnostic. If someone says they are an atheist, they usually are, excpet if they have never heard of the correct term, which happens, but isn't the rule.
Even if there was a God - note the subjunctive -, I don't think I'd like him much. The only "religion" I found appealing so far is atheistic satanism, but it's been a while since I've really concerned myself with it, and so I can't say for sure how much I agree or disagree with its philosophy anymore.
Other than that, I don't believe in any kind of absolute moral theory. I subscribe to the one I can agree with, but I don't think there's a God out there who either nods in approval or prepares to torture me for my choice for all eternity.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 14:00   Link #1771
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Yeah, I don't see how scientology actually proves anything. I mean, is the proof that our lives are controlled or descend from alien experiments and what not any more tagible than the existence of God? I doubt it......
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 16:27   Link #1772
Xvoki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Age: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFrani View Post
I was born and raised as a Wiccan.

The rituals, classes, and drumming lessons are really fun!
I've always wanted to be a wiccan, sounds like great fun.
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 17:29   Link #1773
ZeBird0
In a tree
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The States
Age: 20
I'm Agnostic... Don't believe, but I'm not going to argue like an atheist.
__________________
ZeBird0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 18:07   Link #1774
Draw it blank
Lazy Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to Draw it blank
I'm Christian...
Prety boring right?
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because it uses spoiler tags, please read the forum rules.
Draw it blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 19:10   Link #1775
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Deist. You didn't see this coming, did you?
Basically, I believe in a higher power but not in a personafied uber God or miracles messing around with the world like a very bad plot twist in a scenario. I believe we people try to better or improve, even just for profit. Thus setting an ideal ultimate goal is like reaching to deification. Sounds close to atheism but in fact leaves room for an external power called hive mind (public relations, ideals, propaganda) to set the minds of people like a hive towards the same goal. Actually, that is more of a philosophical than a religious opinion but then again someone can follow the philosophical notions of any religion without converting to it.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 21:33   Link #1776
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
I'm an atheist.
And certainly not agnostic. If someone says they are an atheist, they usually are, excpet if they have never heard of the correct term, which happens, but isn't the rule.
Even if there was a God - note the subjunctive -, I don't think I'd like him much. The only "religion" I found appealing so far is atheistic satanism, but it's been a while since I've really concerned myself with it, and so I can't say for sure how much I agree or disagree with its philosophy anymore.
Other than that, I don't believe in any kind of absolute moral theory. I subscribe to the one I can agree with, but I don't think there's a God out there who either nods in approval or prepares to torture me for my choice for all eternity.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "in a vague sense, atheists are very similar to theists." They both centralize their discussions and arguments on emotional appeal. They both have "faith" of believing and not.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 21:55   Link #1777
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "in a vague sense, atheists are very similar to theists." They both centralize their discussions and arguments on emotional appeal. They both have "faith" of believing and not.
I've heard that argument before.
To me, however, that would mean everyone has faith. If I tell an agnostic there might be an invisible pink tiger sitting behind them who will eat them as soon as they fall asleep, and they don't try to do something about it, they must have some kind of "faith".
I'm not just basing my arguments on emotional appeal, but on what, in my eyes, seems logical. There might be a God. There might be a pink panda sitting behind me and reading every word I write. I might be part of an Alien computer game.
There is a possibility, but no proof at all. If there is a God who wants to teach us about morality, where does this morality come from? Was it there before God? Then what do we need him for? Did God create morality? What gives him the right to decide what is "good" and what is "evil"?
I can't believe in a higher power more than I can believe in perverted ghosts watching me shower.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 22:03   Link #1778
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
I've heard that argument before.
To me, however, that would mean everyone has faith. If I tell an agnostic there might be an invisible pink tiger sitting behind them who will eat them as soon as they fall asleep, and they don't try to do something about it, they must have some kind of "faith".
I'm not just basing my arguments on emotional appeal, but on what, in my eyes, seems logical. There might be a God. There might be a pink panda sitting behind me and reading every word I write. I might be part of an Alien computer game.
There is a possibility, but no proof at all. If there is a God who wants to teach us about morality, where does this morality come from? Was it there before God? Then what do we need him for? Did God create morality? What gives him the right to decide what is "good" and what is "evil"?
I can't believe in a higher power more than I can believe in perverted ghosts watching me shower.
Pardon me, but I don't quite get what your position is. First you acknowledge the possibility of God's existence then you say you don't believe?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 22:08   Link #1779
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Pardon me, but I don't quite get what your position is. First you acknowledge the possibility of God's existence then you say you don't believe.
I don't believe, but I can't be certain.
Even most religious people acknowledge they can't be 100% sure they are right. If they could, they wouldn't just have faith anymore - they would have to be basing their assumptions on undeniable proof, or have turned their faith into something else all by themselves.
Similary, if I was certain there is no God, I would be able to proof it, which isn't the case. However, I'm as sure that there is no God as I am sure that there are no weird ghosts stalking me or invisible pink cats sitting on my shoulders.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 22:11   Link #1780
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
I don't believe, but I can't be certain.
Even most religious people acknowledge they can't be 100% sure they are right. If they could, they wouldn't just have faith anymore - they would have to be basing their assumptions on undeniable proof, or have turned their faith into something else all by themselves.
Similary, if I was certain there is no God, I would be able to proof it, which isn't the case. However, I'm as sure that there is no God as I am sure that there are no weird ghosts stalking me or invisible pink cats sitting on my shoulders.
Wouldn't that uncertainty be agnosticism?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.