AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-07, 21:21   Link #21
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Laila (the blue-haired girl) is not actually related to Taitou, but they were raised as siblings. I'm surprised that this was revealed in the first episode, because it took until Chapter 4 in the manga for it to be revealed, and Laila is actually aware of it in the anime (she's not in the manga), and they even talk about it openly, which makes me wonder if Taitou will have the same emotional scars that he does in the manga...

It's safe to say that the anime probably will be very different from the manga. This first episode alone has a lot of information that the manga took a few chapters to get to, and I'm impressed with just how much they were able to fit into the first six minutes- and without making it feel rushed too. Though I prefer the pacing of the manga, I'm looking forward to seeing how the story develops in this.

Last edited by CSakuraS; 2007-10-07 at 23:23.
CSakuraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:55   Link #22
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiseki_gurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwubanime View Post
Hmm, is the blue haired girl his sister, or a possible love interest??
I can assure you she is his sister .
Yes, but as Laila has said, they aren't related by blood and she is happy about it. yeepeee! Forbidden romance... or at least there is a potential for it. How much of this potential will be realized is another question considering this is a shounen series. Romance in shounen series is as rare as two turtles' doing it. Good find Sonhex!

Screenshots for episode 1:

Looking forward to the 2nd episode.
Old 2007-10-07, 23:00   Link #23
kiseki_gurl
:.:A2M Staff Member:.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSakuraS View Post
Laila (the blue-haired girl) is not actually related to Taitou, but they were raised as siblings. I'm surprised that this was revealed in the first episode, because it took until Chapter 4 in the manga for it to be revealed.
Oh how convienient I stopped after 3 chapters of the manga. And I guess I need to work on my Japanese because I didn't catch Laila saying that . Sorry for giving out the wrong info.
kiseki_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 23:21   Link #24
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiseki_gurl View Post
Oh how convienient I stopped after 3 chapters of the manga. And I guess I need to work on my Japanese because I didn't catch Laila saying that . Sorry for giving out the wrong info.
The manga starts getting more serious with chapter 4. Chapter 5 in particular left me pretty shocked at the end (I won't say more). Though I'm wondering whether the anime will even have the events of chapters 3-5 considering Housei didn't have a seal on his hand when we see him in the first episode, and there's no profile for his master on the official website...
Old 2007-10-08, 15:37   Link #25
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I was a little doubtful, but it did turn out pretty well. It was certainly entertaining and well done; it's not going to redefine the shounen genre but it's a worthy addition and pretty entertaining...

Spoiler for ep 1:

On the Acme Shounen Cheese-o-meter (1 being a fresh Nanoha's First Season Mild Edam, and 100 being Dragonball Z's Frieza Arc Stinky Stilton that's been left in a cellar for a decade) Hero Tales scores a Strong Mature Cheddar, with a slight aftertaste (I did laugh when Taito's shirt exploded. Unlike Ed he won't be able to alchemize that back into shape. I hope Laila is a good seemstress ).

Good first episode, looking forward (and hoping) this develops into something worth following for what's bound to be a long run (26 or 50/52 at least).
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 15:55   Link #26
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Go ahead and dash my hope. Nothing wrong with that particular theme in anime. If this show somehow does include the theme in the course of the series, the show will be so balsy without even having the word "Ball" on the title of the series. Yes, it will be even more balsy than Dragon Ball.

"No spanners or sex appeal" just killed me.

Quote:
On the Acme Shounen Cheese-o-meter (1 being a fresh Nanoha's First Season Mild Edam, and 100 being Dragonball Z's Frieza Arc Stinky Stilton that's been left in a cellar for a decade) Hero Tales scores a Strong Mature Cheddar, with a slight aftertaste (I did laugh when Taito's shirt exploded. Unlike Ed he won't be able to alchemize that back into shape. I hope Laila is a good seemstress ).
Well said. Cheddar it is!
Old 2007-10-08, 16:25   Link #27
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Spoiler:
My first though was 'OMG it's Aang!' when Taito did that lol. I've been watching that show too much lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Go ahead and dash my hope. Nothing wrong with that particular theme in anime. If this show somehow does include the theme in the course of the series, the show will be so balsy without even having the word "Ball" on the title of the series. Yes, it will be even more balsy than Dragon Ball.
Sorry dude, but it's just an innocent crush. Note how Laila did not blush when Taito shoved his crotch in her face. Er...did I just write that... Actually I think Laila doesn't want to sleep with Taito she wants to kill him. First she head-butts him when he's recovering from life threatening injuries then she tries to push him off a cliff. Forget incest, she's an evil homocidal maniac. I bet those herbs were poison too...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 16:52   Link #28
Westlo
Lets be reality

This looks interesting, I initially decided to pass on this after checking out the PV but I've decided to change my mind. Probably going to be 52 eps in length yeah? Nice OP btw.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 20:11   Link #29
Kirarakim

The first episode was entertaining but I already like the manga more. The backgrounds and music are very nice but the character designs look really odd in the anime.

I am not happy with either Laila or Taitou's voices. But Sakurai Takahiro as Ryuukou makes up for that. He was perfect (at least in the little we saw of him).

Finally the animation was nothing to brag about but I did think the fight scenes were pretty fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Probably going to be 52 eps in length yeah? Nice OP btw.
Apparently only 26 episodes are mentioned so far. Of course that could change. I am just happy there is an actual episode count.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 22:04   Link #30
DangerMouse

The first episode seemed pretty exciting even without being able to understand much Japanese besides words here and there, I liked the setup/setting though and the characters shown so far, hopefully this show can pull through with some great material. And as a fan of FMA it's great seeing more of these style designs in a new setting and the show seems to be pretty dense with lots of seemingly important characters. The drama with the enemy's ability at the end was pretty engaging for a first episode as long as the damsel in distress thing doesn't happen overly regularly. I loved the framing of the action sequences in the first episode, so I'm hopeful we'll get some nice action as the show continues and the real battles start.

To those who've been talking about the manga, even though the anime is apparently not following it to the letter as you say, I'd like to ask a question since I don't mind reading such a general spoiler about this since it would be pretty cool if Laila actually gets development and might get some decent participation in the adventure with some decent material of her own.

Laila is pretty prominent in the OP/ED and the "main-cast montage" so I'm assuming she's actually going to stick around for the adventure which I wasn't expecting given she was listed down with the family on the official site so I thought it'd be sort of an occasional visit when the cast comes home Winry-like-situation, so that's a nice surprise? Unless ofcourse that isn't accurate or something else happens extremely early in the story to change this unique dynamic after a few chapters?

Basically I'd just like a reality check on whether or not Laila is going to be interesting to watch like in the first episode interactions with her brother and how she wasn't head-numbingly skill-less or clueless/freaking out and even taking a fighting stance despite being weak compared to the special characters and tricked in the scene where she was attacked (vague to avoid spoilers). Can I hold out hope that she'll be interesting and maybe get some decent involvement as a side-kick or something or helping and arguing with "brother" and making plot discoveries (a bit like Winry towards the end of FMA) or should I lower expectations down to the more common role of a plot device for some character growth out of a Taitou or a love interest of someone?

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-10-08 at 22:39.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 22:38   Link #31
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
To those who've been talking about the manga, even though the anime is apparently not following it to the letter as you say, I'd like to ask a question since I don't mind reading such a general spoiler about this since it would be pretty cool if Laila actually gets development and might get some decent participation in the adventure, like perhaps Al even if it's to a much lesser extent this time, who had rather good material even when the focus was usually on Ed and Ed was usually the one to handle the tougher opponents.

Laila is pretty prominent in the OP/ED and the "main-cast montage" so I'm assuming she's actually going to stick around for the adventure which I wasn't expecting given she was listed down with the family on the official site so I thought it'd be sort of an occasional visit when the cast comes home Winry-like-situation, so that's a nice surprise? Unless ofcourse that isn't accurate or something else happens extremely early in the story to change this unique dynamic after a few chapters?

Given most of the rest of the cast are the ones with symbols on them and as such are seemingly prominent as good fighters, basically I'd just like a reality check on whether or not Laila is going to be around for a while and if she's going to be interesting to watch like how she wasn't embarrassingly skill-less despite being weak compared to the special characters. Is she just there for a plot-point involving Taito or will we actually get a decent character out of her and perhaps even some decent involvement from her even as a side-kick or helping and arguing with her "brother" and making plot discoveries (like Winry towards the end of FMA) or something or is she just essentially a plot-device for some character growth out of Taito or something along the lines of just a love interest for someone?
Spoiler for Spoilers for the manga:
Old 2007-10-09, 00:17   Link #32
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSakuraS View Post
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-10-09 at 00:30.
Old 2007-10-14, 22:57   Link #33
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Second Episode

There's more focus on Ryuukou this time, yay! He certainly does come off as a straight-laced, constantly serious type. Which fits his character, but I think I prefer him in the manga where he gets lots of fun facial expressions. But I'll still hold out hope for him becoming more of a spazz once Taitou and Laila get him to loosen up a bit.

Background art is still beautiful, fight scenes are still fluid, the BGM is epic and makes me hungry for Chinese food. This stuff feels more effective when it's animated; all the blood spurting made me wince. D:

Overall, another solid episode.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-14, 23:22   Link #34
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

I'd disagree there. Animation quality took a huge hit this episode. They tried to cover it up with cuts in direction, but any pretexts towards choreography were completely gone and lots of use of still cels to show movement made my artistic blood very very angry. They're definitely trying to use clever direction to cover up the cracks, but... meh.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:32   Link #35
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
I'd disagree there. Animation quality took a huge hit this episode. They tried to cover it up with cuts in direction, but any pretexts towards choreography were completely gone and lots of use of still cels to show movement made my artistic blood very very angry. They're definitely trying to use clever direction to cover up the cracks, but... meh.
Really? There were a few times that I thought the character designs slipped, but otherwise I didn't notice much difference. Then again, the fights in this episode were either short or very one-sided, so I wasn't looking for any impressive choreography.
Old 2007-10-14, 23:42   Link #36
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

A few things really stood out... like when they'd go from running at eachother to a staff being planted in someone's forehead... or the cuts away from punches to just show explosions. It's not stuff you don't see in any/all shonen shows, but I'd so much rather see people actually punch the ground, rather than cut away as they're dashing and then show an explosion from the impact while Movie Editing Tool #28 renders falling dust around them for the 18th time. It's the difference between showing motion, and showing that something has moved. Active or passive voice if you want a narrative parallel as I diverge off into my own little tangential world.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 05:56   Link #37
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Yeah for ep1 subbed!
Old 2007-10-15, 14:10   Link #38
DangerMouse

Hopefully the show will continue to build up well.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-10-15 at 14:59.
Old 2007-10-15, 15:13   Link #39
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Im looking forward to this series as I really like Hiromu Arakawa after FMA. But this is catching my interest. So i think Ill give it more episodes
Old 2007-10-15, 17:38   Link #40
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_K View Post
Im looking forward to this series as I really like Hiromu Arakawa after FMA. But this is catching my interest. So i think Ill give it more episodes
I too was drawn to this series thanks to Hiromu Arakawa's FMA that turned out fantastic. Obviously, I was initially drawn to this after seeing those sweet character designs again on the Japanese homepage shortly after it was announced, and as a bonus it's turned out that I'm enjoying the start, even more so now that I can understand the first episode.

As there doesn't appear to be a final episode count I'm definitely going to give them a few episodes for set up as there's no telling if this is a longer series like FMA or 26 or something like that.

I also hope to be fair to the series in any preconceived expectations since obviously following up a huge show like FMA and a studio like Bones is going to be rough and no doubt tough to follow at least until the plot is built up, however I feel they did a damned good job with episode one. They did a very nice job making the art style of the show in the background and character art nicely appealing. And so far I'm really hooked on the music they've got going and I enjoyed Tweeny Witches' soundtrack (my only other series that I've watched that he/she has done music for, atleast on ANN's list of anime) so I'm expecting the music to stay very good.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-10-15 at 20:46.