AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-11, 19:24   Link #4981
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Bob Kraft helps his girlfriend audition for a movie role

Warning: This video could self-destruct at any time. There were dozens of copies at YouTube all of which have been removed.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:37   Link #4982
monir
cho~ kakkoii

As she says in the video, "Okay.. that is burned in my memory. You can stop now."

monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 03:48   Link #4983
Samari
World's Greatest

That was weird...

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 08:52   Link #4984
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Vikings RB Adrian Peterson charged with resisting arrest but no hint of what crime...

What the hell? There is something very suss about this one.

Meainwhile in Baltimore, Rice, Reed and Flacco are still holding out.
Old 2012-07-12, 12:06   Link #4985
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I honestly thought the Freeh report was going to use kiddie gloves.

My gf is a Penn State alumni, and I came this ---><--- close to going there for grad school, so we've both been saddened by how it all played out. I was never a big fan of Paterno (thought he should have retired 12 years ago), but he was always larger than life for my gf. She's been grasping for an excuse to continue idolizing him, and the Freeh report didn't do her any favors.

It's about the only issue in our five years of dating that we both unofficially decided we weren't going to talk about anymore.

Edit: Concerning the Adrian Peterson issue, I suspect it is a case of an off-duty police officer making a very boneheaded decision after what was likely a long night moonlighting as a security guard. As things stand now, it appears this off-duty police officer asked Peterson to leave a nightclub that was closing, then asked him again (by now, probably frustrated-justified or not-over having to ask a second time), and then when Peterson allegedly shoved him, I'm betting the off-duty police officer's temper snapped (keeping in mind this was likely the tail end of his shift), and he let his bravado from his day-job as a police officer do his thinking for him, by telling Peterson he's under arrest. Which is also why it'd be no surprise why the actual charges haven't been revealed yet. The police department is probably trying to figure out a way to make this all go away without big publicity, while also protecting one of its own from a rather boneheaded, hot-tempered, move. The best thing would be for the charges to simply be dropped. I'm sure the police officer in question has already had the 'talk' from the 'management'. Unfortunately, due to Peterson being a celebrity, things could get messier. I just hope the police officer doesn't suffer for this one lapse in good judgement, just because of the press and public opinion as this all unfolds.

Of course, all this is just speculation.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 15:37   Link #4986
Athena
The Power of One

Penn State hit with unprecedented penalties for Sandusky scandal

Wow. Just wow.
Old 2012-07-23, 15:53   Link #4987
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
The NCAA would look silly and illegitimate, if they didn't do anything. So, this sort of punishment was expected.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 18:31   Link #4988
GDB

Still, they shouldn't have revoked the wins (the issue wasn't on the field), and they shouldn't have revoked scholarships. That's punishing the students instead of the faculty.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 18:50   Link #4989
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Still, they shouldn't have revoked the wins (the issue wasn't on the field), and they shouldn't have revoked scholarships. That's punishing the students instead of the faculty.
I agree they shouldn't take the wins away from the Athletes. They were not even directly involved in the scandal. They should revoke the wins of the coach and the couching staff. The Scholarships, I don't even know why they are revoking the number given out. It is for future students, they are not involved in any scandal. The punishment should be base only on the Football program as well those involved and administration.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 18:58   Link #4990
Athena
The Power of One

The wins were what shocked me too. I think that because this case made so many headlines that the NCAA did more than necessary in order to keep its image.

The coaches are one thing, but how would a former player from Penn State feel? I mean, itskind of a bit sad as a decision for them.
Old 2012-07-23, 19:55   Link #4991
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I didn't play for Penn State, but if all of my high school football wins were 'revoked' I could care less. You still played and experienced those games. It's more of a symbolic move to keep Paterno out of the history books.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 20:12   Link #4992
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Let me preface what I am about to say with this: I supported the firing of Joe Paterno, but highly disagreed in the manner in which it was undertaken. I am all for cleaning house in PSU's administration after what they let happen over a course of several years. That said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
The NCAA would look silly and illegitimate, if they didn't do anything. So, this sort of punishment was expected.
No, I'm sorry; that is just flat not true. Punishment of this magnitude is beyond belief. What makes it so much worse is that the school took it without a fight (and, I believe, actually WANTED it...).

The NCAA has absolutely no jurisdiction here whatsoever; but, because our absolutely brain-dead administration signed a consent decree, we're stuck with it no matter what.

I really did expect the NCAA to do something, even if it was wholly outside their jurisdiction. The public pressure was too much. But what Mark Emmert did defies all logic. I would be marginally okay with this if schools that ACTUALLY VIOLATE NCAA regs from now on get far worse punishment.

This will absolutely destroy the town of State College. The University IS the town. Many small businesses here banked their entire year on the 3 months of high sales from football crowds. Hundreds of student athletes owe their scholarships to football. Rodney Erickson said he wanted this school to lose its misguided focus on football and become an academic school... Well, Rodney, no thanks to you, but Penn State IS a world-renowned academic institution. Be realistic; we will NEVER be a Harvard or Yale, or even a Northwestern or Virginia, in terms of academics. But what we have been, are, and I hope to God we can continue to be, is a very strong public university with many world-renowned programs, such as in Nuclear Engineering, Meteorology, Supply Chain Management, and others. But... by actively seeking to kill our football program, you have ensured that the entire University and the entirety of Centre County will suffer greatly. This isn't about football, you're right; it's about the lives of thousands of honest, hard-working people in this area and young kids who pay big bucks to come here.

I would've been okay with the financial sanctions, a 2 year bowl ban, ~5 schollies a year, and that's about it. Anything more than that is ludicrous (and, really, as I said before, ANY punishment from the NCAA is ridiculous insofar as the NCAA has absolutely no jurisdiction on these matters; Penn State did not violate a single NCAA rule).

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 21:31   Link #4993
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Let me preface what I am about to say with this: I supported the firing of Joe Paterno, but highly disagreed in the manner in which it was undertaken.
Indeed, in hindsight they should've included a swift kick to the ass.

Quote:
The NCAA has absolutely no jurisdiction here whatsoever; but, because our absolutely brain-dead administration signed a consent decree, we're stuck with it no matter what.
doesn't that mean they have jurisdiction?

Quote:
I really did expect the NCAA to do something, even if it was wholly outside their jurisdiction. The public pressure was too much. But what Mark Emmert did defies all logic. I would be marginally okay with this if schools that ACTUALLY VIOLATE NCAA regs from now on get far worse punishment.
Implying that violating NCAA regulations is more serious than covering for child rapist for over a decade while he continues to rape kids

Quote:
This will absolutely destroy the town of State College. The University IS the town. Many small businesses here banked their entire year on the 3 months of high sales from football crowds...by actively seeking to kill our football program, you have ensured that the entire University and the entirety of Centre County will suffer greatly. This isn't about football, you're right; it's about the lives of thousands of honest, hard-working people in this area and young kids who pay big bucks to come here.
Tough luck, that's how the world works. It's no different than when corporations fail in real life, communities that depended on them will suffer.

Quote:
I would've been okay with the financial sanctions, a 2 year bowl ban, ~5 schollies a year, and that's about it. Anything more than that is ludicrous (and, really, as I said before, ANY punishment from the NCAA is ridiculous insofar as the NCAA has absolutely no jurisdiction on these matters; Penn State did not violate a single NCAA rule).
So basically, a slap on the wrist. Yup, Penn Stater definitely don't value their football program above everything else

And no, maybe Penn State didn't violate any specific NCAA statute, but they failed the far more important one of basic human decency.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 22:30   Link #4994
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I still think a one year ban of the sport, at least, in addition to what was handed out, would have sent a real message. Letting football go on, and the B10 allowing them to continue their tv revenue, just continues to perpetuate the very thing that allowed these atrocities to happen in the first place: the football money machine is too big to fail. And, while Penn State won't get Bowl money, B10 schools still get 20+ million a year as part of the collective payout for the season, so it's not like Penn State is going to be hurting for revenue.

The whole insane argument about not violating NCAA rules is...just like...wow, these apologists don't get it. The people who wrote those rules never imagined they'd have to spell out, "don't protect a pedophile to protect your football cash cow". That's the entire point of why the NCAA did something they've never done before.

As a Badger alumnus, Penn State is lucky they're playing us at home this year. Oh, much talk will be made about being classy, blah blah blah, but anyone who's spent real time in the student section at a ball game knows the real attitude permeating the bleachers.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-07-23, 22:44   Link #4995
Neki Ecko
The Night is still young

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Penn State got alot more worry about those NCAA sactions right now besides the bigger hammers is coming and if the Department of Education/DOJ wants to push the issues with Clery Act, they can lose alot more money and let not forget that PSU is a CIC/AAU member, they would probably act as well between those those two, they get alot of money from them. Yall get the picture
Old 2012-07-23, 22:51   Link #4996
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
B10 schools still get 20+ million a year as part of the collective payout for the season, so it's not like Penn State is going to be hurting for revenue.
Penn State's share of the B10 revenue is also forfeit for the next.. 4 or 5 years, forgot, B10 is also going to put it towards programs that benefits children.

Quote:
The whole insane argument about not violating NCAA rules is...just like...wow, these apologists don't get it. The people who wrote those rules never imagined they'd have to spell out, "don't protect a pedophile to protect your football cash cow". That's the entire point of why the NCAA did something they've never done before.
pretty much
Old 2012-07-23, 23:20   Link #4997
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Penn State's share of the B10 revenue is also forfeit for the next.. 4 or 5 years, forgot, B10 is also going to put it towards programs that benefits children.
All I've seen is that they don't get their share of Bowl revenue ($13 million). Which is completely separate from the estimated $24 million each member of the B10 gets due to the B10 network, etc.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-07-23, 23:26   Link #4998
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
All I've seen is that they don't get their share of Bowl revenue ($13 million). Which is completely separate from the estimated $24 million each member of the B10 gets due to the B10 network, etc.
Ah, I see... that sucks then :/
Old 2012-07-24, 02:16   Link #4999
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Let me preface what I am about to say with this: I supported the firing of Joe Paterno, but highly disagreed in the manner in which it was undertaken. I am all for cleaning house in PSU's administration after what they let happen over a course of several years. That said...

No, I'm sorry; that is just flat not true. Punishment of this magnitude is beyond belief. What makes it so much worse is that the school took it without a fight (and, I believe, actually WANTED it...).

This will absolutely destroy the town of State College. The University IS the town. Many small businesses here banked their entire year on the 3 months of high sales from football crowds. Hundreds of student athletes owe their scholarships to football. Rodney Erickson said he wanted this school to lose its misguided focus on football and become an academic school... Well, Rodney, no thanks to you, but Penn State IS a world-renowned academic institution. Be realistic; we will NEVER be a Harvard or Yale, or even a Northwestern or Virginia, in terms of academics. But what we have been, are, and I hope to God we can continue to be, is a very strong public university with many world-renowned programs, such as in Nuclear Engineering, Meteorology, Supply Chain Management, and others. But... by actively seeking to kill our football program, you have ensured that the entire University and the entirety of Centre County will suffer greatly. This isn't about football, you're right; it's about the lives of thousands of honest, hard-working people in this area and young kids who pay big bucks to come here.

It's so, so difficult to even begin to muster any sympathy with any of your views even if I can see the point of your argument.... I wonder if you would still say the same if situations were a bit different where you, or someone dear to you went through such traumatic event. I remember from one of your earlier post in the thread where you were calling one of the poster with opposing view an "ignorant" and then went on to lecture him about how the area around PSU was literally a cow-park... And that, it is where it is because of the work of a lot of good, hard-working people.

Well, it's time to go back to that root and re-learn/re-teach, sports (Football) is not bigger than life. A shift in culture needs to happen. I could care less whether NCAA (with all its hypocrisy) has any authority to dish out such punishment. I still think it's not enough. I could also care less about who should be blamed about this. The responsibility and the consequence need to be burdened by everyone. No one is above it.

I also sincerely hope it will serve as a constant reminder for every school in the nation that sports program cannot outweigh human decency. You've my admiration for your courage to stand by your views, but none of my sympathy.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 03:54   Link #5000
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I also sincerely hope it will serve as a constant reminder for every school in the nation that sports program cannot outweigh human decency. You've my admiration for your courage to stand by your views, but none of my sympathy.
Part of me wonders how other organizations will respond/adapt to this. After all, the scandal and the degree of punishment afterwards is a new precedent.

Will these athletic programs (particularly football) be more secretive? If yes, then there would be increased pressure to keep similar crimes hidden. Especially with NCAA football representing big money these days, that money leads to some image of "power". From the Penn State scandal, do note that low level workers, like janitors, were afraid to be whistle-blowers in fear of their job security.

The real crime is on the organizational leadership for having a nonchalant approach towards Sandusky's crime, until it was brought up in the open. Thus, the punishment is fitting.

Will these athletic programs be more responsive towards reporting criminal behavior? If yes, then this would be a very positive direction, which leads to greater (and easier) accountability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther
The NCAA had all the jurisdiction here, when it comes to "officiating" university athletics.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports