AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-30, 21:27   Link #21
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Just a reminder of a website renewal. You can see some pics from the anime and some story/character descriptions.
It's kindda funny to see that they wrote 'Theme song performance by '[Kaiji with レッどぼんチリーず(Redbourn Cherries? Not sure..)]'. So the main character sings his own theme song..suits Kaiji quite well.
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 11:58   Link #22
Allamanda
Kiyu Fan

I'm quite excited to watch this series... as for the original manga we can't say Fukumoto excels in drawing but that makes the manga somewhat funny and hilarious... it's really hard to animate Kaiji...

ざわ・・・ざわ・・・
Allamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 14:46   Link #23
ruurguy

Anyone know if there will be any subbers for this series? The Triad was the only ones I think that subbed Akagi, and unfortunately I'm not sure if they are going to do Kaji. Is there any interest from other groups?
ruurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 15:03   Link #24
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 1:
Old 2007-10-02, 15:10   Link #25
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

The Triad is subbing Kaiji (yayz!)

Just finished watching episode 1. One word:

Spoiler for more?:

Last edited by sukreih; 2007-10-02 at 22:06.
Old 2007-10-02, 15:12   Link #26
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi no ken Jebus View Post
Spoiler for ep 1:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-02, 15:23   Link #27
gianna
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih View Post
I'm still concerned about the seiyuu,though. I cannot imagine Hagiwara Masato acting Kaiji..
Not at all - with their characters being so different we get to hear another tone He sounds good
Great first episode Good OP and ED too (and all the zawa zawas lol)
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 16:26   Link #28
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih View Post
The first part(the one that's being animated) of Kaiji starts off in February 1996. I think that was when Fukumoto started drawing Kaiji..
Aaaand just fyi, Kaiji is born somewhat around 1975.
Just something on this topic:
In the anime, the narrator does not specify what year the story takes place in.
And according to this pic:

Endou has a VAIO laptop on his desk. This can possibly mean the time period is more recent than 1996...(I don't think there was a slim VAIO laptop back in 1996) which does not affect the story in any way, but from this, I think the anime verion of Kaiji is somewhat around the 21st century.
Old 2007-10-03, 01:23   Link #29
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

OP if you're interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjgRLt2mRg

I wasn't as rabid a fan of Akagi as others, but I feel that Kaiji is kind of missing something when it removes that mystical quality and replaces it with... well... basically a dirty sniveling hobo. Maybe once the gambling actually starts Kaiji will become a bit more sympathetic a character but... meh.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 22:05   Link #30
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
OP if you're interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjgRLt2mRg

I wasn't as rabid a fan of Akagi as others, but I feel that Kaiji is kind of missing something when it removes that mystical quality and replaces it with... well... basically a dirty sniveling hobo. Maybe once the gambling actually starts Kaiji will become a bit more sympathetic a character but... meh.
Yeah, thing was he wasn't a dirty sniveling hobo enough..(I'm serious! Kaiji is more than that!) too bad they ommited most of the first part of the manga to save time. Kaiji is pratically a huge loser in life, and that's what makes his underdogedness(wait..is that a word?) more awesome. Once he starts gambling(when his life's at stake), Kaiji is the ultimate underdog who desparately clings on, to survive(thus the 'ultimate survivor' title..).

I don't know how well the anime will be able to express the manga, but at least watch til the end of the Espoire storyline And personally, I think it gets even better from that!I'm glad that people noticed from the first episode what a lowlife loser Kaiji is, because basically that's what he is. And even I who have Kaiji as my #1 favourite character from all Fukumoto mangas are saying this.

I was actually concerned that the anime Kaiji won't be loser-enough since even Akagi was a little different from the manga, but I don't think it would be much concern considering that the ending theme is called 'The Requiem for the Losers' . (I'm looking forward to a Kaiji AMV with Beck's 'Loser'.)..although, yeah...I would like to see more stupid Kaiji. (I'm not a sadist or anything!)

I did a quick assume(cuz I don't have the lyrics)- translation of the OP/Ed theme.. blame my ears if I'm wrong. Translation quality...don't even mention it. I'm a pro of sucky direct-translation.
Spoiler for lyrics:

Last edited by sukreih; 2007-10-05 at 20:33.
Old 2007-10-04, 21:35   Link #31
Kaoru Chujo
Kimura Juri

Shows promise. It's certainly different. I like the angular drawing style, which they manage to use pretty well to get people's feelings across. And I was really impressed by the seiyuu for Endou, the guy who signs Kaiji up. It turns out he is Uchida Naoya, who played Light's father in Death Note.

I also liked the OP, and particularly the ED, which is by a 55-year-old singer/film actor called Hakuryuu ("White Dragon"), whom Japanese Wikipedia says specializes in cold Yakuza roles. He plays a character called Tonegawa in this show.
Kimura Juri 木村珠莉 Joined Tokyo Voice Actors' Co-op in 2011, did voice-overs for corporate presentations. Anime bit parts 2013-14. Stars in Shirobako as Miyamori, will star in Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku (spring). Enjoys music, looking at Buddha images, reading. Used to work at a bookstore. Says she is a maudlin drunk. Age unknown.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi |
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 19:24   Link #32
luniz

sounds lame to me to be honest. a lazy hero, great. why should i care about a lazy slacker who has a mysterious talent that he only uses to save his rear?
luniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 20:06   Link #33
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I saw Triad's sub and found it at least interesting. For comparison, Akagi made me throw the towel after less than one episode. Kaiji personality is interesting, Akagi was annoying.

If I'll keep at it will depend on how much time they'll spend on the actual games because such scenes tend to bore me. Same with sports anime.No need for manga readers to tell me, I'll find out next episode anyway, I guess. (And the anime might do things differently of course.)
Old 2007-10-06, 00:40   Link #34
vocab

The first episode was great. It's gonna be just as intense as Akagi. I'm really enjoying the hell out of this series. I can't wait for more.
vocab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 09:43   Link #35
Echoes

What do you know, this wasn't bad. I didn't really expect much, but it looks sort of interesting. I'll give this a shot.
Old 2007-10-06, 13:19   Link #36
Pakxenon
popcorn

RESTRICTED ROCK PAPER SCISSORS LOL!!!

The episode has it all going... except for Kaiji himself. He's whiny and sort of emo about his life that's in shambles. So the main thing going for this anime would be the mindgames they play, not the character himself (Akagi had both). Can't wait for the next episode!
Old 2007-10-06, 14:19   Link #37
Hazies

Send a message via MSN to Hazies
I thought the first ep was alright, though I'm waiting for the actual gambling to start. Hopefully then we'll start to see some of Kaiji's mad skills, because this episode didn't seem to shed much light on what sort of talent he has.
Anywho, you can count me in as one of those people who is eagerly anticipating more of what will hopefully be an epic, mind-bending series like Akagi before it.
Hazies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 14:39   Link #38
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon View Post
RESTRICTED ROCK PAPER SCISSORS LOL!!!
I found this actually a very good idea. Because it looks like a game you can win if you're a bit more intelligent than you're opponents and keep cool. You have to keep track on which cards have been played already and do some simple statistical calculations. I don't know where this is heading of course but at least up to know it seems Kaiji will neither need an incredible amount of luck (like getting the right number at the roulette table whenever the plot demands it) nor a superhuman mind than can immediately understand, play, and win a strategical game with highly complicated rules like chess, say. It looks Akagi had both abilities that made him so annoying for me. YMMV.
Old 2007-10-06, 15:20   Link #39
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Very interesting show with a cruel satire of realism
I like the OP better, the ED was ok.

Kaiji is quite an interesting lead/loser.
Old 2007-10-06, 21:29   Link #40
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I saw Triad's sub and found it at least interesting. For comparison, Akagi made me throw the towel after less than one episode. Kaiji personality is interesting, Akagi was annoying.
I think you're the first person I know of that didn't like (or at least respect) Akagi's character.

Ep 1

This is interesting, but not exactly mind-blowing as Akagi was right from the start, and I think the difference is obviously the main character. I do like the fact that they haven't just gone for an Akagi clone here, since what made Akagi so appealing was his uniqueness, but it comes at this series' expense (after one ep, anyway, which is no way to judge an anime). The point ultimately is that the first ep has intrigued me, but hardly hooked me, while at this point in Akagi my eyes were already glued to the screen. Should be good, though. I love the art style Madhouse uses for Fukumoto's series.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I found this actually a very good idea. Because it looks like a game you can win if you're a bit more intelligent than you're opponents and keep cool. You have to keep track on which cards have been played already and do some simple statistical calculations. I don't know where this is heading of course but at least up to know it seems Kaiji will neither need an incredible amount of luck (like getting the right number at the roulette table whenever the plot demands it) nor a superhuman mind than can immediately understand, play, and win a strategical game with highly complicated rules like chess, say. It looks Akagi had both abilities that made him so annoying for me. YMMV.
It wasn't the fact that Akagi had superhuman genius that made him an appealing character, since obviously it's not difficult for a writer to have him make the right moves and credit it to a manufactured "genius". It was his attitude, the fact that his approach to the game was balls-to-the-wall, play with reckless abandon and do whatever you have to do to win (cheating included). It was the fact that he had no regard for the consequences of his actions that made him so fascinating as a character... the fact that it also made him a good mahjong player is just a (necessary) plot device.

Last edited by Sorrow-K; 2007-10-06 at 21:39.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen