AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-13, 17:29   Link #61
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
That backstabbing son of a ~~~~!!!

I can't believe that im hooked as well XD This must be one of those series that just makes me die waiting to see what happens next. Kaiji got majorly OWNED

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 17:42   Link #62
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
^ i told ya. got you hooked, as you did for me with SNH

this episode was truely what i was expecting so far: mindtrick and dirty deeds.
Basically completely called for, but so good as the potential of the plot is very nice already.

I really liked how they portrayed Kaiji as a complete "naive" first, considering that even funai mentioned that people got backstabbed in pushes. (and how the narrator insisted that he should realized it before)
It clearly demonstrates that Funai is some noobie hunter, and got some charisma and persuasions skills. (who said Hunter X Hunter ?)
Speaking of which, it is quite obvious that the cruise is too fishy to begin with: of course, things look rather as a giant con, as the money issue don't exactly resolve as what they might expect. That said, various points such like the lakc of explanations, the weird losers and such "veterans" going back give rather an impression that a much bigger plot is going to be set (obviously, involving slave merchant? psychology test? bleh )

The series is really interesting as how the potential of such stunts can go nuts, considering the game (absolutely not luck based here), but also the situation, which is a COMPLETE jungle, so the law of "the stronger devour the weak".
I'm pretty much surprised there wasn't any violence uproar and/or any theft and the like. Simply, this looks like the emerged part of the iceberg and a much bigger picture is about to be shown.

back to the episode 2, the end was even more appealing, as the situation looks ugly, yet Kaiji change of mindset is quite something, and the challenge DOES look like gambling their life.
Looking forward the next ep
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 17:54   Link #63
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I think Funai did the clever thing, Kaiji would trust him more if Funai warn him of conman.
IMO, while Kaiji is naive... i think he's pretty smart and honorable. He was already searching for a way to raise his chance of winning before Funai came in. I don't think he would go about conning other people but instead rely on his wit to get back.

He's a lousy liar/talker anyway... even idiots wouldnt believe him (especially with only 1 star left on his chest)

I like the open rule of the game, it lets the player to use alternative ways to win/survive (i.e buying stars and maybe cards?) Looks like next episode is going to be a showdown between Kaiji and Funai.
Old 2007-10-13, 17:54   Link #64
neoeagle

anyone has a issue whit playback i use both zoom and VLC.I still get some soem sences pretty darn slow, that sound and picture go unsync.AND I NEED to watch this Badly im hooked on these kinda series after akagi,
neoeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 17:57   Link #65
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I'm using the latest CCCP pack and WMP, no issue so far.
Old 2007-10-13, 19:23   Link #66
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Cool, I'm quite liking this series and look forward to episode 3.
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 20:05   Link #67
Slice of Life
eyewitness

This is very good stuff. But now, after I've seen that the games are not like I had expected (changing partner so you can't keep track on what has been played already) I wonder what the whole trip is good for. Before, I thought the yakuza were looking for smart gamblers with good nerves.

But who cares. One of the most riveting anime of this season.
Old 2007-10-14, 06:09   Link #68
Clarste
Human

Episode: Good, good, this is what I was hoping for after episode 1. I love this kind of stuff.

Although, if he'd thought about it all (which obviously he didn't) Kaiji should've realized he was being scammed when Funai suggested that they play the cards in the order R, P, S, R, P, S, R, P, S instead of R, R, R, S, S, S, P, P, P. In the latter order, even if you get scammed you'll realize with at least 5 cards, instead of being stuck with one (because it'd be impossible to cheat you after you both run out of rocks, although they could feign error on the last rock and make you waste one more). The only reason to suggest the former would be to scam someone.

Plus, it just seems more intuitive to me to do three in a row each. The more complicated cycling pattern reeks of trickiness, and it's easier to get confused even if you're being honest. Well, I'm not Kaiji though...
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 06:57   Link #69
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

If it makes you feel better, you can outsmart Funai in the video game released for PS(since well, you eventually know what he'll do). He'll do EXACTLY the same thing Kaiji does to him after he lost. Of course, you are not playing as Kaiji(he's in the ship, though)..
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 12:07   Link #70
tatsuzan

Is kaiji Similor to liar game??
OH NO...;;

The first series of kaiji manga was written in 1996 to 1999.
Liar game was in 2005.
Liar game is similor to Kaiji.

and Yu-Gi-Oh! also borrows some idea from Kaiji, for example
using star as a game coin.

Not a few people think kaiji's first series be one of the most greatest plot
of manga all time,and it took Kodansha manga prize in 1998.
tatsuzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 14:19   Link #71
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

'96 or '97?

Oh, and I found the episode pretty predictable - Funai was an obvious con, and the purpose of the money which Tonegawa didn't talk about was apparent.

What I wasn't expecting was Kaiji to go crazy, holy wow I thought he'd take it sitting down. He collapsed in a heap! D:

Knowing that "everyone betrays Kaiji" it's only a matter of time before Andou and Furuhata back-stab him as well, but hopefully he'll step on them before-hand. He's not exactly being a nice fellow, which was what I thought at first, recruiting the two into his team - it's a union of desperate men.

Also, how do I spell Gentei Janken? All I have is 限じゃんけん.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 15:09   Link #72
tatsuzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
'96 or '97?

Oh, and I found the episode pretty predictable - Funai was an obvious con, and the purpose of the money which Tonegawa didn't talk about was apparent.

What I wasn't expecting was Kaiji to go crazy, holy wow I thought he'd take it sitting down. He collapsed in a heap! D:

Knowing that "everyone betrays Kaiji" it's only a matter of time before Andou and Furuhata back-stab him as well, but hopefully he'll step on them before-hand. He's not exactly being a nice fellow, which was what I thought at first, recruiting the two into his team - it's a union of desperate men.

Also, how do I spell Gentei Janken? All I have is 限じゃんけん.
Original manga use Katakana for janken, because if used hirakana,it would have too soft nuance.

so, it spell "限定ジャンケン".
gen 限(rimit)
tei 定(established)
janken ジャンケン
tatsuzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 16:17   Link #73
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Thank you.

Reading up on Hyoudou (or should we call him Kazutaka?), he seems very simmilar to Washizu, only much younger. But something interesting came up - he's also in charge of a financial consulting firm.

Hmm. Washizu was born in 1890, Hyoudou around 1925. Hyoudou would have been in his twenties when Kyousei Consulting was formed...could he have been Washizu's partner?! I see no other way for it to be possible, considering in Fukumoto's universe the only way (shown thus far) for "twisted" folks like that to have gained so much money and influence would have been on the tail-coats of Washizu.

Then again, Washizu was much, much richer than Hyoudou. Hyoudo has several billion yen in 1997...Washizu had around five billion yen in 1963, before the floating exchange rate and the massive inflation

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-10-14 at 17:54.
Old 2007-10-14, 16:48   Link #74
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Send a message via MSN to The Chaos
hay!! I Just had seen Ep 2
This really good show but THat Funai I didn't like him from begining
kaiji he is true(bakkkkka) but i hope I see Him smart in the next Ep
REALLY GOOD SHOW
The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 18:49   Link #75
Hazies

Send a message via MSN to Hazies
Well, that 2nd episode was pretty good. Looks like this will be an entertaining thinking-man's series, which pretty much solidifies Kaiji's status as one of the top shows this season for me. Different from Akagi, but not in a bad way: I find myself focusing more on the actual gambling and strategy this time around.
Hazies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 22:54   Link #76
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Wow, finally a non-cliche anime that is good. I've never watched this type of anime before but i am hooked. The first episode was interesting but I was glued to the screen all throughout the second episode. I'm looking forward to the third!
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 13:54   Link #77
gianna
gigi

sukreih... Don't know what to say about that He really lucked out lol

Another good ep -- especially some of those scenes that seemed akward in the manga worked out better - like the draw bridge
And it was fun seeing Kaiji win for a moment
Even though it can be to his own benefit it's really something to see him helping two others -- It doesn't seem like Kaiji would trick them Curious to see how he is going to advance himself now
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 14:20   Link #78
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I haven't seen three yet, nor will I until Triad puts it out, but from what I dug up Kaiji's escape from Espoir will be very satisfying for most people. Brick-shatting too.
Old 2007-10-16, 15:16   Link #79
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna View Post
sukreih... Don't know what to say about that He really lucked out lol

Another good ep -- especially some of those scenes that seemed akward in the manga worked out better - like the draw bridge
And it was fun seeing Kaiji win for a moment
Even though it can be to his own benefit it's really something to see him helping two others -- It doesn't seem like Kaiji would trick them Curious to see how he is going to advance himself now
According to Kaiji: Coincidence and mistakes
Spoiler for episode 3:

According to the interview in 'Otona Anime', the producer for Kaiji mentioned that 'he will make the series to the end'. So is he implying that part2 and 3..and more(since the manga is at part 3) will be made as well? Still not sure, but sure hope so
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 17:13   Link #80
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

The manga is finished, isn't it? I thought Kaiji grows old with some wealth under his belt and a lot of wisdom...?

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen