AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-09-23, 22:55   Link #121
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia.
Age: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Realism can be entertaining... isn't that why the producers are so into (pseudo) reality shows in the last few years?

Rambo style action movies are no longer the fad now as well.
It'll come around again. Bond-esque movies are still very popular, and aren't too realistic.

Basically, Entertainment holds more value than realism. Realism adds entertainment value, but it's not the primary goal.
__________________
Zenemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 17:31   Link #122
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
God like gundam saves money man. If your gundam wont get damaged you dont need to spend more frame drawing them damaged. If you can blow away multiple suites at once not only you create the aura of godlyness you also save frames. And little kids get impressed by their awsome godlyness and buy the models. Mmmm money!!!! Fuck the real fans, money first
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 18:26   Link #123
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
well, if the gundams aren't godly, then you're looking at one of three options

1. wars are extremely small scale so they wouldn't be so outnumbered. problem with this is that it makes it less realistic that in a war there are so few soldiers

2. tons of gundams. either by constantly replacing the leads or a bunch of pilots. but then they aren't exciting.

3. lead char uses grunt. then that begs to question why on earth would he live more than 2 eps, unless he was a godly pilot, but then it would be the same problem.

any of these solutions result in lots of unbelievable plot holes, or just plain unexciting. making the gundams godly gives the pilots reasons to be human
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 19:30   Link #124
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
3. lead char uses grunt. then that begs to question why on earth would he live more than 2 eps, unless he was a godly pilot, but then it would be the same problem.
There's your answer...

I mean it works for other real robot shows, like Macross... And it isn't a problem because godly pilots do exist in real life.
__________________
Copyright 2002 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 20:48   Link #125
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Appearently godly ownage that Amuro/Cha managed to pull out from their godly suits no longer pleases the little kid That's imo what makes gundam and its respected rival godly. Through their pilots. Frickin little gakis these days wants massive explosions and aimbots =(. Another one is Isamu vs Guld. They both pilot kick ass machines, but what makes them really godly is their godly skills, for Isamu anyway =\
Nothing wrong with high performace machines as long as the skill of the pilot matches it. Those SSJ power ups aimbots etc can kiss my ass
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 21:44   Link #126
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Well from a production sense, it makes sense to make Gundams godly. They cost a great deal, and are seen as symbols as well, and are only assigned to the greatest pilots, meaning that you will spare no expense in creating those things and make them as powerful as possible.

Basically, consider what would happen if an F-22 Raptor had unlimited missiles in this day and age. That's essentially what a mid-series gundam like the Freedoms or the Wing Zero are. From a realism perspective, it makes more sense than your best pilot and best unit getting dispatched by two or three others in inferior units.

Also, keep this in mind: the greatest attribute of the godly gundams such as Wing Zero, Freedom, Epyon, etc... is their combination of speed and firepower. Recall that in EW, the Wing Zero really wasn't this uber tank. It's just a matter of pilots not getting hit, and when you fly a machine with mass ranged weaponry, using your speed is paramount.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 21:57   Link #127
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Well from a production sense, it makes sense to make Gundams godly. They cost a great deal, and are seen as symbols as well, and are only assigned to the greatest pilots, meaning that you will spare no expense in creating those things and make them as powerful as possible.

Basically, consider what would happen if an F-22 Raptor had unlimited missiles in this day and age. That's essentially what a mid-series gundam like the Freedoms or the Wing Zero are. From a realism perspective, it makes more sense than your best pilot and best unit getting dispatched by two or three others in inferior units.

Also, keep this in mind: the greatest attribute of the godly gundams such as Wing Zero, Freedom, Epyon, etc... is their combination of speed and firepower. Recall that in EW, the Wing Zero really wasn't this uber tank. It's just a matter of pilots not getting hit, and when you fly a machine with mass ranged weaponry, using your speed is paramount.
There are two types of godlyness imo. 1. Totally volunerable machines, high performance, piloted by the craziest pilots ever (Nu/Sazabi. Zeta, Neue Ziel YF19/22 etc etc). 2. Totally invincible or neraly invincible machines, retardedly insane firepower without accuracy of the pilot, piloted by wanna be fakers (Freedom/sFreedom Wing00/01/00custom/heavyarms).
Only the first type I consider godly. 2nd type is just for show and selling model kits. Sadly you sir seem to be fond of the 2nd type.
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:32   Link #128
Cereldi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
the new series gundams seem less godly since it makes sense to down grade them when its 2307. Its great how the don't really start the series with some dude hops into a machine he has never seen b4 and pilots it like a pro (reffering to pilot of the RX-78 and Strike gundams) however, i have a feeling that these gundams will get a bit godly later on in the series
Cereldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:42   Link #129
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereldi View Post
the new series gundams seem less godly since it makes sense to down grade them when its 2307. Its great how the don't really start the series with some dude hops into a machine he has never seen b4 and pilots it like a pro (reffering to pilot of the RX-78 and Strike gundams) however, i have a feeling that these gundams will get a bit godly later on in the series
Amuro had to read manual while figuring out how to pilot his gundam. Kira on the other hand lol, programmed it in split seconds! I think I'd stick with amuro. Kira's just a amuro wanna be faker. Dont get me wrong. Gundams are suppose to be high performance. But there's a line you gotta draw. You don't wanna make gundam a WMD that any little kids could pilot. More powerful machine requires more skillful pilots. Not like all the sudden you just drop to brain dead intelligence level, click a button goes into WMD mode and just blow everyone away. I have no problem if the super mode is limited in duration and actually require skills to pull off. Things like F91's shadowing or Rx-93's fin funnels.

As for the new gundams we just saw. Only friggin virtue has the potential of turning into a brain dead WMD like wing gundam, and I hope it doesnt
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:49   Link #130
Cereldi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
Amuro had to read manual while figuring out how to pilot his gundam. Kira on the other hand lol, programmed it in split seconds! I think I'd stick with amuro. Kira's just a amuro wanna be faker. Dont get me wrong. Gundams are suppose to be high performance. But there's a line you gotta draw. You don't wanna make gundam a WMD that any little kids could pilot. More powerful machine requires more skillful pilots. Not like all the sudden you just drop to brain dead intelligence level, click a button goes into WMD mode and just blow everyone away. I have no problem if the super mode is limited in duration and actually require skills to pull off. Things like F91's shadowing or Rx-93's fin funnels.

As for the new gundams we just saw. Only friggin virtue has the potential of turning into a brain dead WMD like wing gundam, and I hope it doesnt
lol ahh a valid point indeed , holy crap never knew Amuro with spelled that way
Cereldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:53   Link #131
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereldi View Post
lol ahh a valid point indeed , holy crap never knew Amuro with spelled that way
huh?
アムロ=a mu ro
He's got a different name in the english version? Wouldn't suprise me though
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 23:10   Link #132
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
There are two types of godlyness imo. 1. Totally volunerable machines, high performance, piloted by the craziest pilots ever (Nu/Sazabi. Zeta, Neue Ziel YF19/22 etc etc). 2. Totally invincible or neraly invincible machines, retardedly insane firepower without accuracy of the pilot, piloted by wanna be fakers (Freedom/sFreedom Wing00/01/00custom/heavyarms).
Only the first type I consider godly. 2nd type is just for show and selling model kits. Sadly you sir seem to be fond of the 2nd type.
i love playing devils advocate so here it goes. herro was a very experienced well trained killing machine. he showed excellent prowess in all the machines he piloted from a grunt to wing zero. of course he faired much better in the wing zero but he showed he was no amateur with a mobile suit


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereldi
Its great how the don't really start the series with some dude hops into a machine he has never seen b4 and pilots it like a pro (reffering to pilot of the RX-78 and Strike gundams)
again devils advocate. he was the ultimate coordinator and had his genes messed with so one could assume that he is much smarter and much more capable of things we couldn't even imagine. EDIT: sorry this is referring to kira and the strike


*puts up flame shield and waits*
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 23:25   Link #133
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
i love playing devils advocate so here it goes. herro was a very experienced well trained killing machine. he showed excellent prowess in all the machines he piloted from a grunt to wing zero. of course he faired much better in the wing zero but he showed he was no amateur with a mobile suit




again devils advocate. he was the ultimate coordinator and had his genes messed with so one could assume that he is much smarter and much more capable of things we couldn't even imagine. EDIT: sorry this is referring to kira and the strike


*puts up flame shield and waits*
Skilled killing machine eh? Suppose that also involves him tearing up some letters and whispering shit such as "Omaeokorosu" Does that skill manifest in that shit ol spinarama crap wing zero pulls all the time? Or is it his skill he finally managed to lock onto that piece of big ass space debrie and blow it away? Comeon even Kou Uraki and Anavil Gato did better than him in that long ass sword fight he had with riri's bro. Sills? lol comon
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 08:16   Link #134
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
ive never said that he was the best gundam pilot. in fact ill admit i have only seen two series, seed and wing. my point was that herro wasn't completely useless. i have already stated the wing zero improved his skills greatly, but he was able to fair well in other suits besides the godly zero. if your looking for a grunt suit to take out a gundam, your crazy. that will never happen. but if he can go in between suits and able to actually fight then he's got some skills.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 10:36   Link #135
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Don't forget Wing Zero's ZERO system, which if you're not driven to insanity through its use gives you direct interface with the machine and gives you superhuman reactions.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 11:40   Link #136
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
There are two types of godlyness imo. 1. Totally volunerable machines, high performance, piloted by the craziest pilots ever (Nu/Sazabi. Zeta, Neue Ziel YF19/22 etc etc). 2. Totally invincible or neraly invincible machines, retardedly insane firepower without accuracy of the pilot, piloted by wanna be fakers (Freedom/sFreedom Wing00/01/00custom/heavyarms).
Only the first type I consider godly. 2nd type is just for show and selling model kits. Sadly you sir seem to be fond of the 2nd type.
Both of your types are effectively the same.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 11:47   Link #137
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Both of your types are effectively the same.
oh yeah? my memory is little hazy but tell me since when does Rx93 or sazabi or all those units I listed have no brainer WMD like zero. Hell even with Neue Ziel's size you don't get anything nearly as stupid let alone that spin ol rama shit. Let's compare Nu and sFreedom. since when does Nu spam no brainer death rays like sFreedom does every 5 seconds in some episodes? Does YF-19/22 have WMD at all? no, they go at each other with pure skill.
If you fail to see what I am getting at, then there's nothing else I can say
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 11:48   Link #138
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
oh yeah? my memory is little hazy but tell me since when does Rx93 or sazabi or all those units I listed have no brainer WMD like zero. Hell even with Neue Ziel's size you don't get anything nearly as stupid . Let's compare Nu and sFreedom. since when does Nu spam no brainer death ray like sFreedom does every 5 seconds in some episode?
If you fail to see what I am getting at, then there's nothing else I can say
You forgot about the big flash of newtype energy?
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 12:01   Link #139
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
"You forgot about the big flash of newtype energy?"
Do those automatically grant your gundam brain dead WMD? The wiredest one I've seen was zeta when Camille the cry baby gone psycho. Even that, fails to compare to the awsome stupidity of wing zero, freedom and sfreedom.
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 12:09   Link #140
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
Do those automatically grant your gundam brain dead WMD? The wiredest one I've seen was zeta when Camille the cry baby gone psycho. Even that, fails to compare to the awsome stupidity of wing zero, freedom and sfreedom.
Why do you consider them stupid?
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.