AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-31, 20:10   Link #1
toru310

what is this is it a hard drive failure? or a powersupply falilure??

While watching anime the video kind of blinks and its not the file because i replayed it and its ok and its goes blinking again..after taking a the clip on cam and uploading it in the computer It hanged and after that well I turned it off wait 5 seconds and its ok again but saying "start windows normally" part. Now I don't know if its hard drive failure,psu or even the heatsink or what so ever I don't know need help..heres some clips of the blinking and hang...

The blinking weirdness

The hang...

the scripping sound is me trying to move the mouse..
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 22:06   Link #2
jpwong

If your heatsink failed, your computer wouldn't just hang I don't think, it would shut down completely since you'd hit the failsafe limit on your CPU temperature.

Hard disk failure is ussually fairly obvious. Has your drive been making loud sudden clunking noises? That's the most obvious indication that a hard drive is about to bite the dust.

You might want to post all your computer specs, it's hard to say if it's something like a PSU being taxed if we have no idea what sort of hardware you're running, and what sort of PSU you have in the first place.

Have you tried playing the video on a different media player? Does it still blink?
Old 2007-08-31, 23:31   Link #3
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

CPU Heatsinks don't fail, the little fan that sits on top does. The heatsink itself is just a aluminum/copper piece of metal that sits on your cpu. The only way that could fail is if you removed it or you've dropped you PC and it's not sitting properly on top of your processor. Even then your cpu would have to be over the operating temperatures (usually around 70C+ depending on you processor) before it starts acting up and will shut itself down.

XP realises that you've done a hard reset (ie didn't shut down properly) that is why it is asking you if you want to start windows normally along with 5 or 6 other choices generally Safe mode is for debugging the issue. Try to log in normally. HDD failure is a noisy annoying failure.

I have my doubts that its an overloaded PSU, have you installed any new hardware like what we spoke about a while back in addition to your existing gear? It'd be very very unlucky to have 2 PSU failures within a matter of months

Now I can't really hear the audio but when playing the file is it stuttering? both the audio and video?Or is just video dropping out? Are you running any processes in the background? If that is an h.264 file they are quite taxing for older processors (P4 right?) so having a lot of processes running in the background is probably not a good idea.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 23:42   Link #4
jpwong

Unless you have a lower end P4, I don't see processing power being an issue, though I'll agree if a lot of background tasks are being run, you could just run yourself dry.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 01:50   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The blinking video is likely related to a codec or media player problem. Does the blinking occur on all videos, or only certain ones? Is there a pattern to the ones it's occuring on? What do you use for media playback (media player and codecs/FFDShow version)?

As for the hang, I didn't really get a good sense of what was going on from that video. If it's what I think it is, then your system was temporarily overloaded and/or your WinXP install is old/cluttered. Doing a full reinstall might fix it, but I'd save that as a last resort until we rule out anything hardware-related.
Old 2007-09-01, 01:57   Link #6
toru310

Sorry I'll revise what I said..

First of all the blinking thing..yeah I still hear sounds cause I'm wearing a head set while watching and its clear...

Second after the hang I restarted it and well I didn't even go to bios mode..so I cut of the power and waited some seconds and its started again..if its a hard drive problem the bios should show but it didn't, this may look like a PSU failure..

As for the video its .avi and the codects is the CCCP thing..

Ermm for the installation of new hardware well theres none...

I just turned on the pc and watched some 1 episode and then the blinking started....I grabbed my cam and took the video that you just watched and after that it hanged....

I'm not sure if its a CPU failure because I didn't do any hard processes just watch anime while the bittorrent is downloading like what I usually do...

Finally if its harddrive failing damn! I'm going to buy a new hard drive and then transfer all 15gb of files...

And the funny thing is I'm not panicking because its my finals this week and its hell..
Old 2007-09-01, 10:21   Link #7
jpwong

Try the video on a different media player.

Does it do this for only XVID encoded videos? Or does it do it for all videos?
Old 2007-09-01, 16:48   Link #8
arcadeplayer987

What HDD do you have??

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 19:02   Link #9
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Try playing on VLC Player because the codecs are isolated on that player. If the problem disappears while playing VLC Player then it's the codecs you installed on your PC that's screwed up and you need to reinstall the codecs. If it happens with VLC as well, then it's hardware.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 19:33   Link #10
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura-sensei View Post
Try playing on VLC Player because the codecs are isolated on that player. If the problem disappears while playing VLC Player then it's the codecs you installed on your PC that's screwed up and you need to reinstall the codecs. If it happens with VLC as well, then it's hardware.
Hmmmm so reinstalling codecs can fix the blinking problem?? my player is BSplayer and it has not given me a problem for the past years...And my hard drive is seagate...

How about the hang? did I just overloaded my CPU? well now it hanged 3 times..

Last night my while watching a dvd in my pc it hanged and all I can see is this weird colors...And before I watched the dvd I made a video in moviemaker and burned it in nero vission 2...can that be the reason why my pc hanged??? heres a clip is this an overloaded cpu, screwed hard drive or what the hell is that? ctually the weird thing is that the ethernet connection is still working I mean its still downloading since my bitttorret is on and well I restarted it...since I got frustrated..

Heres the clip http://youtube.com/watch?v=7jeGjSRKuy4 and well you have to brighten your monitors a bit cause its a little dark but that what happen when it hanged...it could be VGA overheat or something..

Edit: And here is the same clip with the same player with the same untouched codecs..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H61VRVCdSSk

Last edited by toru310; 2007-09-01 at 20:16.
Old 2007-09-01, 21:01   Link #11
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
Hmmmm so reinstalling codecs can fix the blinking problem?? my player is BSplayer and it has not given me a problem for the past years...And my hard drive is seagate...

How about the hang? did I just overloaded my CPU? well now it hanged 3 times..

Last night my while watching a dvd in my pc it hanged and all I can see is this weird colors...And before I watched the dvd I made a video in moviemaker and burned it in nero vission 2...can that be the reason why my pc hanged??? heres a clip is this an overloaded cpu, screwed hard drive or what the hell is that? ctually the weird thing is that the ethernet connection is still working I mean its still downloading since my bitttorret is on and well I restarted it...since I got frustrated..

Heres the clip http://youtube.com/watch?v=7jeGjSRKuy4 and well you have to brighten your monitors a bit cause its a little dark but that what happen when it hanged...it could be VGA overheat or something..

Edit: And here is the same clip with the same player with the same untouched codecs..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H61VRVCdSSk
With the image of your picture scrambling, it would appear that either your video card's GPU is in fact over heating or you have a lose cable. About the freezing, it could occur on many occasions. I believe you made a thread a while ago posting all of your running processes. Perhaps you could list your current ones:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
btw. to list all services you want to run "cmd" and then type the command "tasklist -svc". This will list all the tasks even those hidden services encapsulated in svchost processes. Then you just need to copy paste what is listed in the window and post it here (right click mouse -> choose select -> now a cursor is in the window -> hold the left mouse button and draw the rectangle selection area over the text you want to copy -> left click -> now the text is copied and you can paste wherever you like... either in an editor or directly in the forums)
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 22:40   Link #12
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
With the image of your picture scrambling, it would appear that either your video card's GPU is in fact over heating or you have a lose cable. About the freezing, it could occur on many occasions. I believe you made a thread a while ago posting all of your running processes. Perhaps you could list your current ones:
Looks like a GPU issue. Ensure that your monitor is plugged in firmly. How old is your graphics card? It may be on its way out; could be due to age, or it could just be a faulty one. The good news is that, unless you want the latest and greatest graphics card and/or you want something for gaming, a replacement would be rather cheap.

It doesn't necessarily explain the hanging and/or the video drops, but it could be related and/or the cause.
Old 2007-09-02, 00:32   Link #13
jpwong

Before you go and buy anything, might I suggest you open the side of your case and see how much dust buildup you have?

If you have enough buildup, it will affect heat disapation, and it could be a simple fix of just haveing to suck out all the dust off your parts.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 05:38   Link #14
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Vmyname>tasklist -svc

Image Name PID Services
========================= ====== =============================================
System Idle Process 0 N/A
System 4 N/A
smss.exe 612 N/A
csrss.exe 664 N/A
winlogon.exe 688 N/A
services.exe 732 Eventlog, PlugPlay
lsass.exe 744 PolicyAgent, ProtectedStorage, SamSs
svchost.exe 904 DcomLaunch, TermService
svchost.exe 1000 RpcSs
svchost.exe 1092 AudioSrv, BITS, CryptSvc, Dhcp, dmserver,
ERSvc, EventSystem,
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice,
TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
InCDsrv.exe 1116 InCDsrv
svchost.exe 1260 Dnscache
svchost.exe 1384 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient
aswUpdSv.exe 1480 aswUpdSv
ashServ.exe 1528 avast! Antivirus
spoolsv.exe 1752 Spooler
GoogleUpdaterService.exe 1880 gusvc
nvsvc32.exe 1940 NVSvc
explorer.exe 312 N/A
ashMaiSv.exe 1696 avast! Mail Scanner
SOUNDMAN.EXE 1788 N/A
rundll32.exe 2032 N/A
ashWebSv.exe 176 avast! Web Scanner
ashDisp.exe 236 N/A
daemon.exe 256 N/A
InCD.exe 204 N/A
apdproxy.exe 288 N/A
jusched.exe 868 N/A
ctfmon.exe 2136 N/A
msmsgs.exe 2208 N/A
GoogleUpdater.exe 2292 N/A
Rainlendar.exe 2344 N/A
Rainmeter.exe 2372 N/A
Ymsgr_tray.exe 3300 N/A
alg.exe 3308 ALG
svchost.exe 3384 stisvc
firefox.exe 420 N/A
BitComet.exe 4032 N/A
cmd.exe 2692 N/A
tasklist.exe 284 N/A
wmiprvse.exe 488 N/A

C:\Documents and Settings\myname>

@Ledgem well I'm going to buy a new VGA if its the video card issue..and its only 1.5years old..

@jpwong ermm never really opened my pc when it came out of the shop for the PSU replacement..and it has a fan on the front and maybe it sucked so much dust.

If my pc's going to fail better buy a new pc with a dualcore then..

Update..can I ask what if you did this..your pc is on and then you turn off your monitor then you turned of the power then your remove the plug of the VGA connector and you put it back on...what will happen? well because when I did that and place it back again It hanged....

Ok ok this is getting frustrating...darn it.. anyways I got isolated from transferring my precious files from the other drive because I fear the hang will do its job again.....and the good thing is I'm not panicking hehehe.. but I do want to solve this problem...

Last edited by toru310; 2007-09-02 at 05:57.
Old 2007-09-02, 12:51   Link #15
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

I do not see ^ much of anything that is abnormal. Since we are discussing GPUs, has the computer been moved around a lot recently? Perhaps just re-seating the card could fix the problem. I have seen some cards almost fall out of the slot when I open up the case. If not, we will keep trying to figure out something.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 15:26   Link #16
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I'm more inclined to say that it's either the video card or processor, though there are hints that it could be something else.

1.5 years is quite a lot for a video card. In fact, once my video card hits 18 months (aka 1.5 years), it's when I start preparing for my video card to give out. Hardware don't last years and years on end anymore. Once one to two years have passed, that's when the hardware starts showing its age.

As for the processor, I think it's that only if the processor isn't powerful enough. That's why some of us have asked for the specs on your computer. We want to eliminate the possibility that it could be due to lack of hardware required.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 17:45   Link #17
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
1.5 years is quite a lot for a video card. In fact, once my video card hits 18 months (aka 1.5 years), it's when I start preparing for my video card to give out. Hardware don't last years and years on end anymore. Once one to two years have passed, that's when the hardware starts showing its age.
Really, I've had my video card for 5 years, and it's still running fine. It might be outdated in terms of running the latest and greatest video games, but it's had no problems whatsoever.

You may want to take a look at Windows Event Viewer. There's a tiny possibility that it's logging whatever is causing you to lock up.

But it would still be nice to know, your CPU & clockspeed, total RAM, your video card model, since they may be factors.
Old 2007-09-02, 18:41   Link #18
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Actually, I'm not the one having locking up problems. If my video card fails, running a graphics-intensive program would cause my computer to restart. Considering that your video card is five years old, it was around the time that quality was much better than the video cards of today.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 20:37   Link #19
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm running a PNY (I think) GeForce 4 ti4600 from 5-6 years ago and it seems to be fine. Then again, I never subjected it to heavy gaming, and I'd say that I keep my system nice and cool. I can't speak for the quality of hardware today vs. back then, though. All I know is that a friend's GeForce 4 MX gave out 1-2 years after he had it, and when it did his monitor was outputting some weird colors and distorted lines before finally he wasn't receiving any signal at all. It's luck of the draw, in a way - yours might have been in a faulty batch. It's always a gamble, but you can generally increase the odds of having better luck by going with higher prices/companies with better reputations.
Old 2007-09-03, 00:16   Link #20
Collageboyman

Hi Migu here, Now I can't access my pc because I just plug and plug out my Monitor cord now I can't even see any screens but the PC is still processing This might be a VGA problem...If it really is a vga problem I will be buying a new VGA card..I guess the nvidia 7600gs that I was talking about before will do since my finals will be over...

Question how can I determin if my mother board is toast?
Collageboyman is offline   Reply With Quote