AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-09-03, 01:19   Link #21
jpwong

Sounds like a video card problem, especially if you're still processing.

Does your board still POST?

Do you have another video card you can try? Maybe onboard video?

If you're still POSTing properly, your MB is probably ok, and it's just a videocard issue.

If you're really worried, try logging in blind, you should hear the windows startup sound which means your computer is fine except for your video card.

Or if you have it setup, remote desktop into it, if you can, you're fine.

If you are still logged in on that PC, you can always hit the switch users shortcut key (Win+L) and you should hear the switching users sound.
Old 2007-09-03, 08:29   Link #22
Collageboyman

Umm are there bad reviews about nvidia 7600gs 512mb agp video cards?
cause that will be the replacement card...
Collageboyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 14:22   Link #23
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

don't bother with 512m it's not going to make a massive difference over a 256mb. The core and bus can't utilise the additional RAM effectively enough to make a big difference

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/c...12/index02.htm

Well, what to say to that? At least, Chaintech 7600GS 512 MB has proved no worse than its 256 MB version. We thank Chaintech for that. But.. does it really make sense paying extra for additional memory capacity? In our view, it doesn't. With the equality of prices, the 512 MB makes sense to buy only for boasting among your friends, but you won't see any advantage in performance.

If you are planning to buy the 512 7600gs, it'd be a better idea to get the 7600gt as that is generally 20-30% faster than a 7600gs and the same price as a 512 7600gs

But still I'm of the opinion that I'd avoid AGP upgrades, but still if you want to go ahead I'd probably stick with the far cheaper 256mb 7600gs, and use the $50-60 saved to start your next system.

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-09-03 at 17:56. Reason: some additional info
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 01:16   Link #24
toru310

Yeah my pc is alive again!! well as for geforce 7 series..the shop has none of it they said that the agp card from 6 - 7 series are out of stock even went to 3 different pc shops but they also have none..now my graphics card is FX5500 and I was like whats the difference...ahem are there some difference with FX5200 and FX5500??? well bottom line is atleast its cheap I mean its only 45$...Well I guess I have to build a new pc with PCI interface then...
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 00:53   Link #25
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

typical specs for fx5500
Spoiler for fx5500:

FX 5200 specs
Spoiler for fx5200:

Most important specs here are the memory clock and the core clock. The 5500 is faster but not by much, not having any benchmarks available to me I'd estimate maybe 10% faster on paper. In terms of real world performance I'm not sure.

But as well as that, your PC is still great for Movie playback, it's just not a gaming platform. But if you don' plan on playing Oblivion or Crysis you'll be fine.
Old 2007-09-06, 09:52   Link #26
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
typical specs for fx5500
Spoiler for fx5500:

FX 5200 specs
Spoiler for fx5200:

Most important specs here are the memory clock and the core clock. The 5500 is faster but not by much, not having any benchmarks available to me I'd estimate maybe 10% faster on paper. In terms of real world performance I'm not sure.

But as well as that, your PC is still great for Movie playback, it's just not a gaming platform. But if you don' plan on playing Oblivion or Crysis you'll be fine.
I agree... Unless you have PCI-E, your choices will be limited in regards to speed and choices of technology nowadays.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 10:08   Link #27
toru310

Wow..atleast theres some little change..anyway since my VGA died from dust etc I'll be adding a fan on the side so that some dust can get out rather than the VGA sucking all the dust and over heat again..So anyways I saw a free plug for the fan is it ok to use it? Its connected with the hard drives...will it overpowered the power supply if I install one?
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-06, 11:16   Link #28
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

If you can find a suitable fan, you should be okay. How many watts does your power supply produce? I cannot imagine a fan causing too many problems. Then again, depending on the site of the fan. I would be careful about adding too many fans. I see a single rear-side case fan and that could be the problem that produces bad airflow. I would make sure you do not have your computer on the floor, on carpet, and make sure it is sealed properly. The best sealed case promotes airflow.
Old 2007-09-06, 20:23   Link #29
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Unless you add a million fans, you shouldn't have any issues with power draw. However, as matradley mentioned, be careful about the airflow. You don't need to be a physics expert about it, but be aware that you do want air to circulate through your system. If you're pointing two fans at each other, in opposite directions, you're massively disrupting the airflow - it's possible that components could be improperly cooled. I have two fans facing in opposite directions, at opposite ends of the case, but one is at the top of the case while the other is at the bottom. It's unlikely that either fan's airflow is impacting the other. Just be smart about it.

I would mention, fans aren't going to help with dust. It boggles the mind how so much dust gets in (and it gets everywhere); just go in every year or two (maybe more often, if you live in a really dusty area) with a can of compressed air and carefully remove the dust. Some newer cases include filters that cover the fans, which should help to keep dust out. But I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that even cases like those have dust in them.
Old 2007-09-07, 08:27   Link #30
toru310

Thank!,
Side topic but this must be answered..don't want to make any new threads..

Anyways I was editing a mpeg video on my pc using virtual dub..I was waiting for it to finish and suddenly low hard disk space showed and I clicked ok and looked at the file I was shocked it was 4gb and my remaining space was only 4.8gb so I immediately deleted it and I restarted my pc because I got so freaked out...after the restart I looked at my system drive and I saw something weird the remaining space is now 6gb which means I gain some space..now what the explanation for that...will I lose some files or get them corrupt?? OMG...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-07, 09:18   Link #31
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
Thank!,
Side topic but this must be answered..don't want to make any new threads..

Anyways I was editing a mpeg video on my pc using virtual dub..I was waiting for it to finish and suddenly low hard disk space showed and I clicked ok and looked at the file I was shocked it was 4gb and my remaining space was only 4.8gb so I immediately deleted it and I restarted my pc because I got so freaked out...after the restart I looked at my system drive and I saw something weird the remaining space is now 6gb which means I gain some space..now what the explanation for that...will I lose some files or get them corrupt?? OMG...

Spoiler:
It is hard to say what had happened. It might be a case of the Pagefile.sys purging itself on restart after you deleted that 4 GB file. You could always do an "Error Check" on your disk to make sure that there are no lost chains or errors.

Spoiler for Error Checking:
Old 2007-09-07, 10:02   Link #32
toru310

Thanks I'll do that in the morning...its night here...thanks!
Old 2007-09-07, 18:04   Link #33
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Thanks I'll do that in the morning...its night here...thanks!
If that does not make a difference, go to:

1. START;
2. Run;
3. Type 'cmd'l;
4. Type 'chkdsk drive: /f /x /r
5. Agree to start at next reboot

Spoiler for Chkdsk:
Old 2007-09-08, 02:52   Link #34
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Also stop freaking out. Unless you don't have backups then feel fee to do so. Even then if your HDD isn't fried you're still fine. A PC isn't as fragile as you think. Remember its a logic based system, everything has a cause and effect and therefore a solution.

Also what about all your temporary internet files? I've got mine set to delete every 30 days, and sometimes that can be upward of 750mb. I doubt a hard reset would wipe out close to 2gigs of data and still be able to boot up properly
Old 2007-09-08, 04:14   Link #35
toru310

Ahh I see....

Question when ever I turn on my pc and loads the os and stuff the hard drive makes noise for a while and then it goes back to normal..is that normal or is that hard drive failure that will happen in the future...?? if so I have to transfer my bittorrent files and books marks...
Old 2007-09-08, 04:41   Link #36
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Question when ever I turn on my pc and loads the os and stuff the hard drive makes noise for a while and then it goes back to normal..is that normal or is that hard drive failure that will happen in the future...?? if so I have to transfer my bittorrent files and books marks...
During OS loading, the hard drive is constantly accessed. If it's making sounds that it never made before, it could be indicative of a dying HD. But if it only makes those sounds when loading the OS, then forget it. Try to make your HD perform a lot of access and you should hear something similar.
Old 2007-09-08, 07:31   Link #37
toru310

@Ledgem It only makes the sound when it loads the os, doing some heavy access etc I don't seem to hear any similar sounds... Which means its ok based on what you said...thanks..
Old 2007-09-08, 12:52   Link #38
jpwong

The sound you want to be worried about is if your HD starts making clunking sounds. This will be very different from normal operating sounds and sounds like someone's taking a soft mallet to the hard drive. This is generally immediatly followed by the PC locking up and BSODing.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-08, 20:46   Link #39
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

When I was studying for my A+, I found this website regarding hard disk sounds that you do not want to hear. Check out Hitachi's website of bad hard drive sounds - http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowt...c?OpenDocument . The sound you could be hearing could be a fan. I have heard some power supply fans begin loud but become quiet after loading the OS.
Old 2007-09-09, 04:23   Link #40
toru310

Everyone thanks for the info!! To be safe I'll be buying a new 160 gb hard drive as my system drive...and put the 40gb hard drive in an enclosure..can't wait!!!..

A little side topic...my brother will be throwing away a 20gb seagate hard drive that works and I'm planning of putting it in an enclosure but the hard drive is partitioned by two..so far I know how to format a drive..I don't know how to merge a drive in window mode..any tips? And that will serve as my non anime storage wohoo!