AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 200 81.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 11.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 5.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.41%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-10, 11:52   Link #201
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think Soujiro does like young girls... Maybe not sexually, but they make him go all "moe!". It has nothing to do with him being an otaku, he just likes loli. And he's unapologetic about it.
[*butts in*] Well in that sense... who *doesn't* like young cute girls?

//leaves it at that XD
Old 2007-09-10, 12:38   Link #202
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't.

Certainly not to the extent he does.
Old 2007-09-10, 13:04   Link #203
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

well in a few episodes back he's jealous of the pervert in the new that is harassing girls, one reason why Konata doesn't look up to him, but copies his Otaku ways.

I conclusion he really likes young girls. Though middle aged(40'sh) he's still a handsome guy and he also has a loli face.
Old 2007-09-10, 13:32   Link #204
darksider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
well in a few episodes back he's jealous of the pervert in the new that is harassing girls, one reason why Konata doesn't look up to him, but copies his Otaku ways.
Ah, you're talking about ep.14? That is one of the very few but critical mistranslation the fansubber made.
What he said actually was "Man, you should be jealous of me."
And, it looks like he's satisfied with all the girls around, and of course it won't be respected anyway.
Old 2007-09-10, 13:38   Link #205
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksider View Post
Ah, you're talking about ep.14? That is one of the very few but critical mistranslation the fansubber made.
What he said actually was "Man, you should be jealous of me."
And, it looks like he's satisfied with all the girls around, and of course it won't be respected anyway.
Oh! It's a miss translation. Well now my respects have gone higher for Mr.Izumi if that's the case. Konata should do more father daughter bonding, makes him more
respectable. Just don't show him any new loli material or anime LOL
Old 2007-09-10, 14:02   Link #206
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's why.... you shouldn't always just assume the translation is correct or even close. Missing a tense or a qualification of the base statement is easy... but then there's also the "information that never originally was there" (changing dialog entirely to avoid using a footnote to explain a reference, for example).
Old 2007-09-12, 05:33   Link #207
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

The second half of this episode was pretty interesting and really emotional for a high-spirited and fun show. It had that kind of tone that was shown in Kanon. Although it was good to learn some background information about Konata's parents and especially for Konata's mom, Kanata.
so in this episode, the reason Kanata passed away was because she gave birth?
10/10
Old 2007-09-12, 08:16   Link #208
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
so in this episode, the reason Kanata passed away was because she gave birth?
We've discussed about this quite a bit in the past few pages, so you might wanna check those out. The reason she passed away isn't clear at this moment, but it could have something to do with birth complications or some type of pre-existing complication that she had. Giving birth is always hard for small women like Kanata, so I think that gives us a good hint as to what caused her death.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-12, 08:22   Link #209
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

can that imply also with Konata and Yutaka? Since their small...no wait had got a neighbor before with 7 children and she's only 4'10 or something...
Old 2007-09-12, 10:05   Link #210
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Another thing that shocked me about EP22 other than Kanata, is the fact that Konata FOLLOWS PRO BASEBALL. She actually knows about last year's Japan series. She actually watched Yu Darvish and the Fighters defeat the Dragons? I can't get my head wrapped around that. She's supposed to be the baseball-hating otaku! My theory is that Soujirou watches it (I think EP20 or 21 has him watching baseball while Konata tinkers with the VCR), so Konata, being so close with her dad, watches with him out of love only. But STILL, it's unbelievable, and still doesn't explain how she keeps up with Nanako-sensei's favorite team, the Chiba Lotte Marines. I guess everyone in Katsukabe HS should be cheering for the Marines since their Ace pitcher came from their school, but still.. Konata? Maybe again Soujirou cheers for the Marines and she follows them with him; I know that it's a habit for Giants-hating folks in the greater Tokyo area to cheer for the Marines (no one really care for the Yakult Swallows) But STILL, KONATA WATCHING BASEBALL? HAS THE WOLRD GONE MAD?

EDIT: changing his name... I used to know a guy named Souichirou so...

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-12 at 12:34.
Old 2007-09-12, 10:58   Link #211
darksider

Ah, one thing, his name is Soujirou.

And about the baseball... I don't think Konata hates baseball really that much (as long as it doesn't interfere with her hobby), and information about baseball is sort of unavoidable if you watch TV in Japan. And, how can you watch the anime you want if you don't know when the baseball game ends?
Old 2007-09-12, 12:47   Link #212
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksider View Post
Ah, one thing, his name is Soujirou.

And about the baseball... I don't think Konata hates baseball really that much (as long as it doesn't interfere with her hobby), and information about baseball is sort of unavoidable if you watch TV in Japan. And, how can you watch the anime you want if you don't know when the baseball game ends?
Knowing and watching the game are two different thing though... a lot of people in the US knows about football, but that doesn't mean they'll sit an entire afternoon watching big men hitting each other. Being a sporty girl I'm sure she knows all about the rules, but I can't see her enjoying it. I'm actually surprised to see Soujirou watching it actually, being an old time otaku himself. In a school with baseball teams, the social hierarchy works similar to the US - the jocks gets all the attention (and girls), while the nerds (otaku) gets picked on by the jocks. The hatred for baseball and baseball player starts young for the male otaku.

But I guess as you age, you go with the flow... it's like how you start to sing enka when you're older... it just goes with age I guess. Plus the Marines did win the 2005 series with the popular ex-Met manager Bobby Valentine at the helm (I still subscribe to his "Bobby's Way" newsletter), and they did get a lot of new fans after that. Bobby asked the 2005 WS winner White Sox for a "True World Series" that year by playing against his Lotte Marines, and MLB declined. The entire nation of Japan was grateful for that, and Nanako-sensei was talking about that - MLB champs are not true world champs until they've played the Japan Series champ. I sincerely agree with that notion. You can't say you're world champs unless you've actually played the world.
Old 2007-09-12, 14:38   Link #213
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I've been asking that "World Series" question since I was a little kid....

(hey, dad, where are the teams from the OTHER countries?)
Old 2007-09-12, 16:24   Link #214
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I've been asking that "World Series" question since I was a little kid....

(hey, dad, where are the teams from the OTHER countries?)
They have Canadians!

And that's news to me, I had no idea Bobby Valentine managed in Japan, he certainly had quite the up and down experience here in New York. Some random scandals aside he did coach them to the 2000 Subway Series (New York vs New York World Series) so it was a decent tenure. However, I highly doubt the MLB would agree to have the World Series champions play the Japan Series champs, they stand to lose too much if the MLB team loses. On a side note, is there much difference in the rules between American and Japanese professional baseball? I would assume not, baseball is pretty straightforward, but you never know.
Old 2007-09-15, 09:48   Link #215
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Well, considering that the anime's world is pretty up-to-date with the current releases ( I.e.: Code Geass, FMP! TSR and Sigma ), I'd say they try to create a "As it happens" type of world. It's probably late august/september as of episode 22, but don't quote me on that.
There was an earlier episode that could be dated to April 2007 - the episode was set in April (Start of the school year) and a Kiddy Grade Ignition poster appeared on Konata's wall. Not to mention the Haruhi concert which gives an exact date for the episode that featured in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
And in Episode 22, there's a scene showing Soujirou working on a laptop while Kanata brings him some tea and a few onigiri. Laptops weren't invented at the time too, probably, so I'd guess they are more concerned with giving the viewer a pleasant experience than being always 100% historically correct.
I remember having a laptop-like device quite a long time ago which my parents called a ワードプロ. It had a screen and I think one can save a document. That might have existed back then. It also had a printer if I remeber correctly.
I have an NEC8201 portable computer that comes from Japan, and dates to the early 80s. I think there was something similar from HP or Sharp or someone like that which had a built-in printer similar to that on a cash register.
Old 2007-09-20, 00:50   Link #216
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

Being gone for about two weeks I finally get back to watching the remaining eps of the series...

ep.22....its been a while since an anime made me cry. This ep has its great moments...a lot of it.

Kanata-san, although you've only "appeared" just this once you'll not be easily forgotten.
Old 2007-09-20, 16:20   Link #217
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
On a side note, is there much difference in the rules between American and Japanese professional baseball? I would assume not, baseball is pretty straightforward, but you never know.
Didn't catch this until now.. gomen. Pro baseball in Japan are pretty much the same as the US, with a few minor differences like they allow the use of aluminum bats and everyone bow to each other after the game. They also count strikes before balls. HS baseball are different in that you are allowed to tie after 15 innings, and if tie breakers is needed you play the game again next day. Everything else is pretty much the same; that's why Japan Pro players can play in the majors right away if they're good enough.
Old 2007-09-20, 16:58   Link #218
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I find the most fascinating thing about japanese baseball is the audience participation
Old 2007-09-20, 17:07   Link #219
darksider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I find the most fascinating thing about japanese baseball is the audience participation
And many Japanese find it to be the most annoying part...
They are all too noisy when you just want to watch the game.
Old 2007-09-20, 17:33   Link #220
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
And many Japanese find it to be the most annoying part...
They are all too noisy when you just want to watch the game.
... Kind of like "The Wave" *groan*

Don't get me started

Just Play Ball!

So, who wants to take Kona-chan to her first ballgame?

Last edited by Ahasuerus; 2007-09-20 at 17:34. Reason: forgot the Quote
Closed Thread