AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-03-20, 02:49   Link #81
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Aha I will do that , thanks for the suggestion/help once again ^^
Old 2008-03-23, 12:12   Link #82
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is it just me or is OSpell only good for 10-15k of data...
I've always wondered if this was just a fluke on my end.
Old 2008-04-01, 14:20   Link #83
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Opera passes Acid3 with a score of 106!

Opera has found that there is a secret easter egg in the acid3 test that enables you to get to 106/100. Article here.
Okay, that was obviously an April Fool's joke, but it is worth mentioning that last week Opera released a build of Kestrel that has passed the acid3 test with a 100/100 perfect score. You can download Opera's perfect acid3 build here. Please note that this build is not stable, so it should only be used if you want to see this:
The current Opera 9.5 build is their best yet and you can get it here. It's acid3 score is only 76/100, but the performance is excellent.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 17:18   Link #84
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

News: Kestrel Beta 2 is almost ready to be released!

In case anyone wants to check out the most recent progress with Kestrel, there's a nice new build. This build seems pretty nice, though the "delete" button for messages and RSS looks a bit odd.

Kestrel has recently added something I've been dying for: Notes Synching! While it was nice to have my bookmarks synchronized across computers, getting my notes synched is even better. If you want to synch your notes, this build is wonderful.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-04-24, 13:10   Link #85
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

New update: Opera 9.5 Beta 2 is released. Yay! Finally a beta of Kestrel that doesn't work like an alpha.

In other news Dragonfly will be released in another 12 days. Dragonfly is being hyped as the ultimate in developer tools so that Opera can finally laugh in the face of all the Firefox fans who insist that their browser is better because they have great developer plugins. Of course we haven't seen these tools yet and nobody can tell us how they compare to Firefox's plugin, but Opera has a really good record of delivering.

Old 2008-04-24, 16:56   Link #86
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

So is it any good?! I've seen a lot of regreshion in the builds and honestly I've never had much faith in beta and rc builds, and bad experience with other apps recently.
Old 2008-04-24, 17:35   Link #87
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Beta 2 is a pretty good build actually. It hasn't crashed on me yet and they seem to have taken care of the memory leak that was really bugging me the last few builds. Mostly I'm just happy to see them presenting a public beta that isn't as trashy as beta 1, which was almost unusable.

Anyway, it does synchronize notes between different systems and that is invaluable to me. I really love having access to all of my notes regardless of where I am online. To me, that is even nicer than bookmark synchronization.

On the downside, I did have to update Ospell again.

Old 2008-04-24, 18:03   Link #88
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I dont know about coding n stuff but this version is fast and smooth . Even OSpell runs faster . Go Opera

GB's wise Insight

Quote:
Opera is like MPC

People who like using softwares as as it / plain n simple use VLC (FF) and on the other hand people who like to tweak and customize use MPC (OPERA)
Old 2008-04-24, 19:11   Link #89
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I hate to break it to you but Opera IS the VLC player of web browsers.

Don't you like Opera because its an all-in-one wonder? doesnt it have all the options you want already built in?

btw, having an option of making pretty flowers pop up each time you start is not a tweak.

this quote is taken directly off the wiki
Quote:
Opera was designed to run on low-end and small computers, and with a commitment to computer accessibility for users who may have visual or mobility impairments.
Is Opera bad? No, Opera is a great browser. Mouse gestures are fun.
but if you're going to put down firefox at least learn whats wrong with firefox first.
Old 2008-04-24, 19:27   Link #90
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Potatochobit is right; GB's wise insight fails. Opera has all the options built in just like VLC has all the codecs built in. By contrast, Firefox needs plugins to work properly just like codecs need to be installed. Next time find an analogy that works.

Old 2008-04-24, 21:03   Link #91
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
By contrast, Firefox needs plugins to work properly just like codecs need to be installed.
Bad analogy, firefox doesn't need things to make it run, and installing them will just make it worse, usually. It's like when you eat something with little extras (like mustard or some sauce). Ideally you should be eating the food not so much the extras... even so some people like eating a LOT of mustard and things like that, though for many of us that would leave a bad taste in our mouths.

As for the analogy, Opera is neighter VLC, Mplayer or MPC, its a ZoomPlayer. Independent with nice skinz that doesn't crash on systems where MPC does.

- We should probably stop; by explaining everything with an anology to something else we move in circles.
Old 2008-04-25, 15:54   Link #92
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Bad analogy, firefox doesn't need things to make it run, and installing them will just make it worse, usually.
Hmm... I wouldn't know about that. Currenty I'm trying out Konqueror (which uses the engine Safari is based on) and I'm kinda missing a lot of my plugins from Firefox... Stuff like TabMixPlus, Download Statusbar, Adblock... Well, the latter is already included in Konqueror, but I need a working hostnames file for it to be useful for something. And Opera's missing it completely, manually blocking things doesn't cut it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 17:42   Link #93
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Opera does have add-blocking. I mentioned it in a tutorial I wrote a long time ago...
Old 2008-05-07, 23:17   Link #94
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

By the way, Opera has recently released a preview of their new developer tools: Dragonfly.

If any website developers are reading this, I'd really like to know what you think about Dragonfly.

Old 2008-06-05, 19:34   Link #95
fujipon

A new snapshot build has been released today, along with a new official skin by the Opera team accompanying it. I really love the new look they're going for.
fujipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 20:12   Link #96
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Ah, thanks for reviving this thread - I'd wanted to mention that the main site now has their primary banner as "Opera 9.5 coming soon" - very exciting, I can't wait.
Old 2008-06-05, 23:42   Link #97
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
I've been playing around with Firefox 3.0 RC2, and I just installed Opera 9.5 Beta 2, and I must say, Opera does feel snappier. I'm not criticizing Firefox (I love it and use it), but I think I'll be using Opera for my general browsing, and Firefox for special needs. I tend to switch between both over time. Both are excellent browsers!

Both had memory leaks in prior versions, but with the latest ones, it seems it's pretty much fixed =] I'm having fun tweaking and customizing Opera.

EDIT: I just minimized Opera, and the memory usage dropped to 50,000 K! I think I'm going to be happily surprised by Opera as time goes on
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 12:12   Link #98
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

The new look for Opera is surprisingly sexy. A lot of people who've never used Opera, or the folks who've refused to use it because they don't like the way it looks (and won't skin it) are gonna get over their phobia.

Opera now has malware protection also! This just keeps getting better and better.

Oh, and the current build runs really sweet also. I completely endorse trying the latest build. It's getting quite stable now and more of the bugs are squished.

Generic Asian Guy: The current build is even snappier and the memory usage is down more also.

Old 2008-06-06, 13:45   Link #99
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I like the new skin, but think the old one is better momentarly.
The current experimental version needs to be worked on a little, but the potential is there.
Old 2008-06-06, 13:59   Link #100
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I love the new skin it looks fabulous I liked it how they even changed the installation picture . Personally I like it better than the old one Black is more of my color than blue

Tags
browsers, opera, software