AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-11, 08:09   Link #1
Earth_Wyrm

Comedy for multiple folks

I'm a committee member in the Anime Society at my University, and with term beginning soon, it's about time that a line-up was decided for what it is that we're going to show in the first semester - I think that it's a good idea to include a comedy somewhere in the line-up, but unfortunately comedy is a genre of Anime that I know absolutely nothing about.

I have been considering 'Lucky Star', assuming that I can get hold of the full running before the start of term - but from reading forum posts I'm not sure that it has the kind of impact to engage a small group of people who might not be paying attention the whole time or who might not be big enough otaku to get a lot of the jokes.

Last year 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' and 'Karin' were shown, and I think Karin went down somewhat better - 'Haruhi' being somewhat hit and miss on the members that found it funny, those that found it funny thought it was brilliant, but those that didn't find it funny... looked bored.
In particular, with Karin, the narration segments (with the puppets) at the beginning of each episode consistently got a few laughs as well as the slightly racy Opening Sequence, and Boogie-kun - People seemed to either love Winner-Kun or hate him, but in either case he was pretty funny.

But now I think that I'm rambling a bit; in short, any suggestions for a comedy that'll appeal to a group of people?

Edit:
Oh, in addition, all people watching these shows will be almost certainly be in the age region of 18-23

Last edited by Earth_Wyrm; 2007-09-11 at 08:11. Reason: More info
Old 2007-09-11, 08:28   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would definitely throw in a suggestion for Seto no Hanayome (ongoing, 26 episodes in total, 3 episodes left). The male lead (Nagasumi) almost drowns in the first episode, but gets rescued by a mermaid. As it turns out, the mermaid girl (San) is the daughter of the local mermen yakuza and the laws dictate that if a mermaids personality is revealed, either the human or the mermaid has to be killed. Problem is - San declares she will kill herself if Nagasumi is killed, because that diefies the whole purpose of her saving him. Solution ? A marriage ^^

Hilariousness ensues. Now, i am not a big fan of comedy, but this thing has me rolling on the floor. It is brilliantly over exaggerated batshit crazy humor. I Haven't laughed so hard for a good while. No need to be an otaku to understand the humor or anything - just kick back and hold on to your guts, because this thing WILL make you laugh if you have a funybone at all
Old 2007-09-11, 09:02   Link #3
darksider

I'd recommend Potemayo, the comedy-for-all-age anime at its best, though the translation quality can be a little bit of problem.
I guess you don't have to be an otaku to get jokes based on references like "Some Like It Hot" or "Bro-something Mountain" right? And, as is the universal truth for every quality comedy, you can enjoy the show not knowing any of the references at all.
Old 2007-09-11, 09:08   Link #4
Earth_Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I would definitely throw in a suggestion for Seto no Hanayome (ongoing, 26 episodes in total, 3 episodes left). The male lead (Nagasumi) almost drowns in the first episode, but gets rescued by a mermaid. As it turns out, the mermaid girl (San) is the daughter of the local mermen yakuza and the laws dictate that if a mermaids personality is revealed, either the human or the mermaid has to be killed. Problem is - San declares she will kill herself if Nagasumi is killed, because that diefies the whole purpose of her saving him. Solution ? A marriage ^^

Hilariousness ensues. Now, i am not a big fan of comedy, but this thing has me rolling on the floor. It is brilliantly over exaggerated batshit crazy humor. I Haven't laughed so hard for a good while. No need to be an otaku to understand the humor or anything - just kick back and hold on to your guts, because this thing WILL make you laugh if you have a funybone at all
This sounds like the exact sort of thing that I'm looking for
Quirky (A Mermen Yakuza? ), 'batshit crazy' and a guaranteed laugh. I've never heard of it either, so hopefully there wont be anyone in the society suffering from having already seen it. Looks like the torrents are fairly strong too for the Ayako subs.

I'll check out Potemayo too, thanks Darksider. Hopefully the translation quality wont be too much of a problem.
Thanks a lot for the quick replies, these suggestions help me a great deal.

I'm going to read a few reviews on these (mostly just because I enjoy reading reviews), but of course, I'm still open to more suggestions.
Old 2007-09-11, 09:09   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Comedies don't travel as well as other forms because many of the jokes are tied to shared cultural contexts as you've no doubt seen watching Lucky Star.

The shows below are all in the 24-26 episode range except where noted.

Starting first with high-school comedies we have School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh. In SR all the main characters are in love with the wrong people; you can imagine where that goes. Azumanga is a quieter show, more of a "slice-of-life" comedy, and no boys ever come into the picture (except for a pervy sensei). Both these shows have been quite popular for a few years now; both are licensed.

However given the age range of your audience you might want shows where the main characters are out of high school. In that case I'd offer four choices, Nodame Cantabile, REC, Welcome to the NHK!, and Hataraki Man.

Nodame takes place in a professional music academy; the characters are all the same age as your audience. There are the occasional 3-4 minute performances of classical music scattered throughout so if you think your audience won't sit still for four minutes of Rachmaninoff this might not be your best choice. While it might be seen as a romantic comedy, it's much more about personal growth and perserverance. One of the best shows of the past year.

REC is a romantic comedy about a wannabe female seiyuu who ends up living with a Japanese salaryman after a fire destroys her home. It's not LMAO funny, but sweet and funny. The show is full of references to Audrey Hepburn films. Since REC has shorter-than-average episodes it might be fun to watch an episode or two and then watch the Hepburn film mentioned in the show. Alternatively you could watch this entire show in one or two evenings since there are only ten episodes.

If your audience is willing to watch something with a darker motif, Welcome to the NHK! concerns a "hikkikomori," a young man in his early twenties who has closeted himself away from the world. One day he meets a rather unusual young woman who offers to cure him of his problem. This show has some very hilarious moments and some very serious ones as well (one story arc concerns suicide, for instance).

Finally, Hataraki Man concerns the travails of a 28-yo woman working as an editor in a Japanese publishing house. She tries to balance career aspirations, office sexism, and a sputtering romance with another workaholic. Again more of a slice-of-life show than a flat-out comedy, but there are still some quite funny sequences throughout. (11 episodes)

All of these except NHK are unlicensed and available here.

My last suggestion is the incredibly wacky Jungle no Itsumo Hale noche Guu. The main characters are kids living in a jungle village filled with strange characters and strange creatures. Nevertheless this show is definitely in the LMAO category; Guu might be the best comedic character I've ever seen in an anime, and her voice actress nails a very demanding role. This series is licensed.
Old 2007-09-11, 09:23   Link #6
4Tran

If you're trying to get more people to find a show funny, your best bet might be to go for the more accessible comedies. Lucky Star is a rather bad choice for this since it relies very heavily on otaku in-jokes and a lot of people don't find it very funny at all. If your audience already found Haruhi to be hit and miss, this might be an even worse show for them.

A better choice might be Azumanga Daioh, as SeijiSensei suggested. It's humor is often extremely simple and has a very broad appeal for most people. Interestingly, it probably works better for people who've already finished high school despite being about high-school girls. Another interesting choice would be Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. It also has a very simple style of humor that just about anyone can find funny. It really helps that both these show can be just hilarious at times, with an infectious style of humor; they should play quite well in a group environment.
Old 2007-09-11, 09:46   Link #7
Earth_Wyrm

REC sounds like it might fit the bill if the episodes weren't quite so short. It might be useful at the end of the year though, when having something to fill in the few weeks that remain gets difficult - too late to start a new series, too early to halt society meets. I'll put that down as something warranting further investigation.

Hataraki Man... I watched an episode of that a couple of months back and, honestly, I didn't like it at all. Maybe I was expecting the wrong things, but it didn't strike me as funny at all. Maybe it would help if I'd worked in an office before...

Nodame Cantible is a show I've been following in private, I think it's great but I don't think that the long orchestral pieces would work very well outside of private watching - or maybe they would with the current membership (last year's members), but I can't predict what the freshers will think.

Hale & Guu is something that I've caught a few episodes of, and thought that it was really funny - unfortunately the amount of funds that we receive from the Student's union is effectively 0, so the cost of getting the entire show would fall on my own hands - not something I can afford as a student. The same sort of thing applies to the NHK.

'Azumanga Daioh!' is something that I've watched all the way through already and like a lot - I'm also fairly sure I can borrow it from someone who owns it all. I think that most Anime fans have watched it all already though, so it might be better putting it as a 'classic' Anime later in the year.

'School Rumble' as I understand is licensed and in the process of being released - Unfortunately, I can't put on a show where all the episodes aren't already available either as unlicensed or as licensed and fully released.

Is it necessary to know the characters from FMP! to 'get' Fummofu!?

---

Phew. These forums move so much faster than I'm used to. Thanks for all the replies everyone. ^^

Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much, or being too finicky - but it's better to be that way than the reverse, isn't it?
Old 2007-09-11, 10:00   Link #8
Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth_Wyrm View Post
I'd say you don't need to already know them. Some of them have pretty extreme personalities so you can catch up easily. But that adds to the fun
Old 2007-09-11, 11:03   Link #9
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

I would really agree with the following that has been mentioned. School Rumble, and Fumoffu and Seto no Hanayome.

As for fumoffu, it was the anime that started everything for me. And i found the first episode just as funny as any other without having any knowledge about FMP at all. It was actually so great that i started watching anime

Some i would like that aren't mentioned yet

Love Hina
Today in Class 5-2(bit short)
Zero no Tsukaima
Great Teacher Onizuka

And one a friend suggested me was Midori no Hibi(i haven't saw it myself yet. But perhaps it's something your looking for)

And meh, i wouldn't do Lucky Star... Unless they are all diehard Otakus Especially the first episode was quite boring and a bit to random, though the show gets better after the first few episodes.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2007-09-11, 11:07   Link #10
4Tran

Quote:
The only characters that it's really important to know are Sousuke and Kaname. You find out as much about their personalities in the first (half) episode as you really need to. You seem to be British, so you might get even more of a blast from Fumoffu. The humor is entirely dependent on Sousuke as the ultimate straight man who sees the entire world (his highschool) as a battlefield. It's a style of humor that I find quite reminiscent of British comedy.

Quote:
Phew. These forums move so much faster than I'm used to. Thanks for all the replies everyone. ^^
It really helps that you've got a good idea what you're looking for, and that you told us how you're planning to present these shows.
Old 2007-09-11, 11:59   Link #11
Earth_Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
I'd say you don't need to already know them. Some of them have pretty extreme personalities so you can catch up easily. But that adds to the fun
I actually have most of the FMP! collection sitting on my shelf, so I'm personally quite familiar with the characters and I know that there were some episodes of that which had me in stitches the first time I watched (The "Coincidence" gag and how Sousuke treated everything as some sort of military assignment). As I understand, Fumoffu! dispenses with the Mecha and is a straight-out High School Comedy, is that right?
For my personal benefit; How do characters like Tessa tie into it?
It's been out a while now, so I can probably find the DVDs at a reasonably affordable price somewhere... Even if I don't decide to show it, I might pick it up for my personal collection, if I can find it at a good enough price. (Actually, I just looked, and I can get it cheap )

Quote:
As for fumoffu, it was the anime that started everything for me. And i found the first episode just as funny as any other without having any knowledge about FMP at all. It was actually so great that i started watching anime
I guess that's pretty much the best confirmation possible that it can be enjoyed without having seen FMP!

Midori no Hibi? That could work from the summaries I've read of it before, thanks.

I've never heard of Zero no Tsukaima, but just reading the premise on Wiki made me laugh. She summons a Human commoner? Gwahah. It's licensed though, and I can't find it at rightstuf - is it yet to be released?

As for Love Hina, the conversations that I've had with a few members seem to suggest that we haven't got that many Akamatsu fans - quite the opposite in some cases (My own included)

I've heard quite a lot about Great Teacher Onizuka, but have never really checked it out. Either way, it's a bit too long a series to show at 43 episodes. We're already drawing pretty close to the borderline with Death Note at 37. I suppose I should have stipulated that 12-35 is about the episode number that's preferred.

Last year we were pretty strict about showing only 13 or 26 episode things, but found out that by the end of the year it became difficult to fit things in neatly, so we're being a bit more lax on that this year - but still trying to be about the same region. 52 episodes, for example, would be way too many unless it were a completely separate series (i.e. Jigoku Shoujo and Jigoku Shoujo: Futakomori - Last year we showed the first series, but not Futakomori)

4Tran - Picking up on the fact that I'm British? You're pretty astute.
I wonder what it was that gave it away?

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.
Old 2007-09-11, 12:39   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I didn't like the ecchiness of Today in 5-2 considering the characters are about eleven years old. They're way too sexualized for their age. I hear the manga is better, though.

Maybe 4Tran noticed that you wrote "the amount of funds that we receive from the Student's union is effectively 0."
Old 2007-09-11, 12:41   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
4Tran - Picking up on the fact that I'm British? You're pretty astute.
I wonder what it was that gave it away?
Quote:
unfortunately the amount of funds that we receive from the Student's union is effectively 0
Was a good clue.

BTW, FMP Fumoffu was a huge hit at my Anime Club (Reading Uni) so I would recommend this as well.
Old 2007-09-11, 12:56   Link #14
Earth_Wyrm

Seems like Fumoffu! is getting a lot of recommendations, I'll pick it up. Especially useful to hear it went down well at your uni, xris
May as well pick up the last two volumes of FMP! while I'm at it... for the sake of completing the series more than anything else.

I guess it probably was the 0 that did it.
Old 2007-09-11, 16:37   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! should definitely be considered and second, third, and fourth by me. Mahoromatic and Nodame Cantabile are what I would show also, even though Mahoromatic contains ecchi.

The problem I find with Lucky Star is that satire and parody of Japanese culture might not be funny for non-native audiences, and this is best exemplified by the food jokes in episode 1.
Old 2007-09-11, 16:57   Link #16
Earth_Wyrm

Yeah, I've had so many recommendations now in this thread that I've got quite a lot of room for choice. It's great, thanks everyone.

I'll still be picking up 'Lucky Star' for my personal viewing though.
Old 2007-09-11, 17:08   Link #17
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! should definitely be considered and second, third, and fourth by me. Mahoromatic and Nodame Cantabile are what I would show also, even though Mahoromatic contains ecchi.

The problem I find with Lucky Star is that satire and parody of Japanese culture might not be funny for non-native audiences, and this is best exemplified by the food jokes in episode 1.
I hated that joke it was boring, so that's why I thought Lucky Star sucked. But I am thinking of giving second chance, I still don't get why people like it so much I mean there has to be a reason. Anyhow back to the topic, Fumoffu is perfect for the choice imo and maybe Kerro Gunso but I really doubt that it's going to make lot of people laugh.
Old 2007-09-11, 21:06   Link #18
devildog23
Summerlurking

Dang...All the good ones were suggested already. I'll just second the ones I think were really funny and good. School Rumble is probably one of the best bets, its also one of the funniest anime out there. Seto no Hanayome had me laughing pretty hard in the recent episodes, especially from 20 up. The first episodes were really funny as well. It was a great start that kept me interested throughout. Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu is a hilarious anime, and its probably the best bet here. I laughed so hard in the first few episodes, tears came out of my eyes.

Some comedies I don't think were suggested and I think might be good are

If you don't mind romance, these three include it
Nagasarete Airantou - Ongoing
Hayate no Gotoku - Ongoing
Chobits
Gintama
Old 2007-09-11, 21:36   Link #19
MagicMango

I'd recommend Ouran Koko Host Bu, but chances are, most people have probably seen it. Would Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series count as a comedy anime? Though I doubt it, nothing has made me laugh harder than this redubbed version of everyone's favorite childhood (maybe even current) card game.
Old 2007-09-11, 21:44   Link #20
Earth_Wyrm

The ongoing shows you listed, Devildog, can't be shown because they're ongoing (I make an exception for Seto no Hanayome since it's so close to completion.)
Chobits has likely been seen by most already.
I'll have a look at Gintama though, thanks for the suggestions.

Ooh... how could I forget Ouran? I've even watched all of it!
I'll add that on my list of Anime to consider.

I'm not sure showing anything Yu-Gi-Oh! would go down well.
Closed Thread