AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-06-26, 12:02   Link #1
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Chocolate Underground (come fight for your just desserts!)

*bugles play solemnly in the background*

"Towards the end of the Seika era, in order to regulate unhealthy foods that threatened to turn society into nerdy, obese bookworms, the Chocolate Prohibition Act was passed. Chocolate factories armed themselves with chocolate chip cookies to protect their favourite desserts from the evil clutches of Jane Fonda fanatics. The conflict between the two factions continued to escalate. In the 51st year of Seika, a pudgy girl dropped out of the set of Real Drive and plunged herself into the battle without letting her mother and (chibi) father know."

*the above didn't really happen, of course, but dammit, I wished it did*

Well, the first subbed episode of this ONA is finally out and available at your usual sources. Frankly? I don't know what to make of it.

I mean, what's got into Production I.G all of a sudden? Two shows in a single year about the same theme but with different subject matters? Chocolate Underground may revolve around everyone's favourite dessert (actually, I prefer vanilla, but I'll let it slide for the moment), but I'm not sure if it's going to give anyone a sweet tooth, to be honest. The whole premise behind the show seems even more whacky than Toshokan Sensou, if that were possible.

Anyway, here's more information about Chocolate Underground:
Quote:
"From 5 o’clock this evening, chocolate is illegal."

It is an amazing law. The story takes place in some present-day country. The Good For You party has won the elections and announced the Chocolate Prohibition law. They prohibit all sweet things, including chocolates, because they are harmful to one's health.

"We can’t stand such an absurd rule."

Two boys, Huntley and Smudger, stand up to fight against the law. With help from Louise and other friends, they begin to bootleg chocolate.
According to ANN, there are only 13 episodes, each about 5min long, playing twice a week. Apparently, the anime is based on a book called Bootleg by Alex Shearer.

So far, nothing much has happened. And since no one has even bothered to start a thread, I gather there wasn't much interest in this show in the first place. As for me, I'll probably watch a few more episodes to see what happens.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 14:39   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The whole premise behind the show seems even more whacky than Toshokan Sensou, if that were possible.
Considering your the only person I know who seems to understand what Toshokan Sensou is about, this comment makes me fear for the worst about Chocolate Underground.

By the way, the word you probably wanted is "wacky." "Whack" means to hit something so I guess a "whacky" show would be one with a lot of fisticuffs, or a lot of slaps with harisen (paper fans).
Old 2008-06-26, 17:18   Link #3
ujiuji

There was a children's show made by the BBC a few years ago of the same story. Pretty good family entertainment. High-jinks and some pretty tense situations to keep the kids happy and a bit of satire for the adults. There were three fifty minute episodes. More information at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre.../bootleg.shtml
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 18:23   Link #4
Slice of Life
eyewitness

The general idea of the anime is now more subversive than ever and an excellent opportunity to teach one's children a couple of important points. But "5x13 minutes" is like a death sentences to the anime.
Old 2008-06-26, 18:34   Link #5
karasuma

Ha... where they find these topics?!? First there is library war and then here we have Chocolate underground..
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 18:55   Link #6
gaguri

Nothing special in first episode. Not even cute or funny.

This episode sucked.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 06:24   Link #7
ritalman

Send a message via MSN to ritalman
I agree. I qualified it as "major puX0rz" to a friend.
ritalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 17:40   Link #8
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Actually I liked it. Episode 2 has the 2 boys finding a clue to the chocolate stash.

I'm totally amazed that this is viewed on a cellphone in Japan. It's like how Tweeny Witches was broadcasted only shorter episodes.
Old 2008-06-29, 16:45   Link #9
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
I watched the first 2 episodes a couple of days ago. I think it's rather anonymous, though the main topic is really original.
It's not that I didn't like them, but I didn't feel anything; however, it's true that it can't be judged with only 2 eps and that nothing has started yet, but being it so short and with only 13 episodes doesn't help.

If I were to choose a short easy-watch I'd go for Chi's or Fireball, instead.
Old 2008-06-29, 16:59   Link #10
xia

yeah the first episode was just "eh." I guess with only five minutes to develop a story you're not going to have an episode that is "omg epic!"

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 00:29   Link #11
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku Send a message via Skype™ to Koroku
Book is better >_>

I'm not impressed after 3 episodes...
Old 2008-06-30, 08:47   Link #12
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

This is Toshoukan Sensou (Library War) with chocolates.

I think it's interesting, but FIVE minutes? When the hook was about to come up for the story, it just ended. For something like Chi's Sweet Home, it makes perfect sense. But this show really needed the whole OP/ED + 20 minutes of anime for the full effect.

Then again, you don't know how small the market would be for an anime like that even if they pumped a lot of budget into it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 12:44   Link #13
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku Send a message via Skype™ to Koroku
A movie!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
The previously announced Chocolate Underground anime adaptation of Alex Shearer's Bootleg novel will be heading to Japanese theaters this January. The satirical novel follows two English boys who create a bootleg chocolate factory after their country bans chocolate. The theatrical version will add 20 minutes of new footage and present the entire project in widescreen format.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...pan-in-january

Wow, 20 extra minutes. That's like... 4-5 episodes!! :O
Old 2008-09-11, 13:12   Link #14
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
This is Toshoukan Sensou (Library War) with chocolates.

I think it's interesting, but FIVE minutes? When the hook was about to come up for the story, it just ended
That my Thoughts After Seeing This anime ...But I'm Enjoying it
Old 2008-09-12, 13:06   Link #15
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I quite enjoyed this anime, but I do think it's waaay too short. A movie version coming is definately good news.

The plot isn't amazing, but it's a nice relaxing anime to watch.

I love how the animators designed england. I can just point out everything wrong with the anime. Louise is seen wearing a school uniform, and she's 17. At year 12 (which I believe she is) does not wear school uniform. Huntery and Smudger is seen at school without school uniform, if they are younger then Louise, they must be wearing school uniform since they should be under year 12 . AND the door knob is wrong...and the lamp post is wrong. A woman working in the chocolate store does not look like the queen...she should look more like a Greggs woman D:

They got one thing correct, and that's the zebra crossing ^_^''
Old 2008-09-19, 00:14   Link #16
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Episodes 8 & 9 subs are out, for those that are waiting

Old 2008-09-19, 18:11   Link #17
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
This anime is hilarious. But it takes quite skewered mind to enjoy this.
Old 2008-10-11, 00:49   Link #18
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

And it's now completely subbed. Hope you guys enjoyed it
Old 2008-10-11, 04:41   Link #19
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈΈ is the Best !!

Thank you For Finishing Sub The anime...I Really Enjoyed Watching it
Also The End Was Good