AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-02-14, 12:23   Link #41
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 32
What to say about this? At first it seemed just average, but the end was awful.

While watching the first scenes, I thought there was something fishy about it, but until the half I didn't notice that this is just another MAGICAL-GIRLS anime!!! (and I really despise that kind of anime) Oh my god! If I had known, I wouldn't have watched it.

Anyway, I tryed to be objective. I appraise "Angel Rabbie" because, at least, tries to add new elements to a worn out genre: a post-apocaliptic world, a space station, "mechas", the girl uses different outfits depending on her needs and has "wannabe-martial-arts" fighting. And the music is catchy.

On the other hand, after scratching the surface, the base is still the same for this kind of anime: transforming (repeated) animations , a magic wand (oh my god) , stupid spells with stupid names and even more stupid and ridiculous bad guys. I don't give a damn if it's cute. And the animation was very poor for an OVA (but ok for a TV episode).

In the end, it's just that: a magical-girls anime. While the base of this genre keeps being the same, I won't like it. I guess that there's still a long way to go until something really original and good comes up.

If you like magical-girls, you may like it though...
GarBhaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 13:33   Link #42
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina
Oh man... I wanna be nice but really I thought it just flat-out sucked. The character designs are cute, sure, but the plot is literally mashed with so many cliches it isn't funny.

You got space angels, magical girl sequences, Earth in ruins, medieval settings... and your typical 'kawaii' anime heroine who IS LATE! OMG! WHO SAW THAT COMING? I DIDN'T. I'm not going to even mention the plot hole after commercial break where I had absolutely no idea what was going on. It's like a scene was cut out. Lasty just popped inside the stone face somehow and she was breaking down for some reason not quite clear!!

I was thinking about giving this anime another chance for the sake of the designs, but that quickly left my mind once Lasty, who looks about 13, had her transformation sequence where I think I said "Oh god no."
It's supposed to have those cliches...
Since it's a spin off of a spin off, I found it really funny and amusing.
And where exactly is this commercial break? When I watched it, the plot was consistent. If you're talking about Lasty destroying the floating fortress, she basically hopped on her Feather and rammed it into the fortress and then called Judgment upon the thing with a satellite laser.
Like otakujohn said, it's really up to your taste in anime. I personally like really cute girls going around doing not much at all (Galaxy Angel, etc) I generally don't like giant chest bouncing fanservice stuff, so no matter how much I look at Eiken (haven't yet, don't plan to), I won't like it.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 17:02   Link #43
Lina
moo.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
It's supposed to have those cliches...
Since it's a spin off of a spin off, I found it really funny and amusing.
I'm not sure what it's suppose to be spinning off, but I only found one scene funny so I don't consider it very comical...

Lil Nun Girl: And what is it you are planning to donate?
Lasty: *cheery background* Nothing at all!
Villain Lady: She's a demon!

I also notice that many claim that series with abundant amounts of fanservice are suppose to be 'parody's of other fanservice shows... (Like Mouse) I really don't think that's true. If it is, it's just as bad as the shows they are parodying! You can't properly parody fanservice with fanservice and expect it to be any better.

Quote:
And where exactly is this commercial break? When I watched it, the plot was consistent. If you're talking about Lasty destroying the floating fortress, she basically hopped on her Feather and rammed it into the fortress and then called Judgment upon the thing with a satellite laser.
It was the scene where Lasty is mesmorized or something by the stone face. It lasted a few seconds so I assumed it was because of the commercial cut off. Then suddenly she is inside of it (which turns out to be a spaceship) and she is having a dramatic discussion with the dark-skinned girl (I guess that lost angel they were talking about). You weren't the least bit confused, huh?
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 18:41   Link #44
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
I personally like really cute girls going around doing not much at all (Galaxy Angel, etc).
Please, don't dare to compare Galaxy Angel with Angel Rabbie. Galaxy Angel is a great show. It's wacky, absurd and has lots of good parodies from other anime genres. GA sure has a bunch of cute girls, but that isn't the reason why it makes you laugh.
To sum up, GA is very funny while Angel Rabbie isn't.
GarBhaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 18:47   Link #45
otakujohn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina
I was thinking about giving this anime another chance for the sake of the designs, but that quickly left my mind once Lasty, who looks about 13, had her transformation sequence where I think I said "Oh god no."
Whereas I sort of sat there mesmerized by the whole thing. I think I may have even re-watched it a few times....ROFL
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 18:59   Link #46
otakujohn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
this is just another MAGICAL-GIRLS anime!!! (and I really despise that kind of anime) Oh my god! If I had known, I wouldn't have watched it.
So I guess the seminal Pretty Sammy, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Mao-chan are out of the question eh?
Puni Puni Poemy maybe?
ooh ooh... I know. You might watch Nanaka 6/17 because she just thinks she's a magical girl..
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 21:26   Link #47
suguru
京都 ikitai~
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: massugu
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
Anyway, I tryed to be objective. I appraise "Angel Rabbie" because, at least, tries to add new elements to a worn out genre: a post-apocaliptic world, a space station, "mechas", the girl uses different outfits depending on her needs and has "wannabe-martial-arts" fighting. And the music is catchy.
I thought everything you mentioned above was a good, unique addition to the genre--while I'd never say it's the next CCS or anything, Angel Rabbie does have some unique points to distinguish it from the pack, and there are enough open questions at the end of the OVA that I think it'd be an interesting longer series. When you watch enough anime, everything gets derivative of something else (the "clumsy but well meaning and chronically late" heroine is in at least a dozen series). But overall Angel Rabbie was cute and it made me laugh, which is enough to earn it a place on my "buy if it gets to R1 DVD" list.

I liked this and Galaxy Angel, but was bored to death by Bottle Fairies, although I think a lot of people would put all three in the same "cute but lacking substance" category--I guess it goes to show everyone has different tastes, especially when it comes to what's funny.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 21:37   Link #48
babbito2k
annoying white bat
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
...this is just another MAGICAL-GIRLS anime!!!...
Nope, it's just one of those fakes like the Pretty Sami show. Magical girls anime is for girls.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 03:02   Link #49
sothis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
anyone know if the tv series is being picked up by anyone? through 6 have already been shown in japan...
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 07:19   Link #50
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by otakujohn
So I guess the seminal Pretty Sammy, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Mao-chan are out of the question eh?
Puni Puni Poemy maybe?
ooh ooh... I know. You might watch Nanaka 6/17 because she just thinks she's a magical girl..
Well, it maybe a coincidence but I haven't watched any of those shows
(except for Puni Puni Poemi, a Excel Saga spin-off is a must). Don't worry, now that I know that they're that kind of anime, won't ever watch'em .

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Nope, it's just one of those fakes like the Pretty Sami show. Magical girls anime is for girls.
I guess you mean "intended" for girls. Sailor Moon (the pinnacle of magical-girls) has lots of male fans.
And even if it's fake, it isn't funny so there's no difference with the "originals".

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
...was bored to death by Bottle Fairies
Me too. I droped the series after the 2nd episode
GarBhaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 13:21   Link #51
Somedude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis
anyone know if the tv series is being picked up by anyone? through 6 have already been shown in japan...
Huh? Either you're confused or I'm confused.

I hadn't heard anything about an active TV series, nor have I been able to find any info on it.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 13:49   Link #52
otakujohn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
bored to death by Bottle Fairies

Bored me right to tears...I tied myself down and forced myself to watch it though...for some odd reason. Same thing with Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto. I think I watched Taruto just for the cute factor alone.

overall, I think Tenbatsu Angel Rabbie was just kind of shallow, pointless anime I needed after getting brain raped by KGNE. Sometimes pointless is good...It's pure guilty pleasure with no commitment. The casual sex of anime if you will.
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 15:11   Link #53
AnimeFangirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
I think pretty much the only thing I really liked about Angel Rabbie was the Tenbatsu song. Apart from there, I didn't really care much for it. It was boring, pointless, totally predictable and not funny at all. However it was mercifully short, I'll give it that. I just wasted 23 minutes of my time on that, I need something better.
__________________
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 15:56   Link #54
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Time Warp/Future
I actually like the Angelic Serenade game, but this anime... this is an affront to the game... I can't believe Kogado can made something this awful XD

Galaxy Angel is quite nice on the other hand.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 04:57   Link #55
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I actually like the Angelic Serenade game, but this anime... this is an affront to the game... I can't believe Kogado can made something this awful XD

Galaxy Angel is quite nice on the other hand.
Have you actually played Magical Twirler Angel Rabbie though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude
Huh? Either you're confused or I'm confused.

I hadn't heard anything about an active TV series, nor have I been able to find any info on it.
There's currently rumors of a TV series provided that the OAV did well.
However, there IS a novel coming out for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
GA sure has a bunch of cute girls, but that isn't the reason why it makes you laugh.
Uh... GA's cute girls doing wacky things is what makes me laugh. They're pointless, random actions and contribute almost nothing to some semblance of a plot, but it's amusing and fun to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina
It was the scene where Lasty is mesmorized or something by the stone face. It lasted a few seconds so I assumed it was because of the commercial cut off. Then suddenly she is inside of it (which turns out to be a spaceship) and she is having a dramatic discussion with the dark-skinned girl (I guess that lost angel they were talking about). You weren't the least bit confused, huh?
Erm... she recognized it for what it was (an ancient spaceship similar to the Angel Chamber she launched out of) and then just walked inside? She's not technically having a discussion with the Lukia since it's a projection of Lukia through some sort of computer device (think .hack).
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 21:41   Link #56
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Does anyone else aside from me notice that every release so far hasn't been from the DVD but just a ripped raw?
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 21:57   Link #57
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: A Mystery
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
I noticed cuz it had the "brought to you by/sponsored by" dialogue in it. What was the beginning about anyways before the title of the anime showed up?
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 00:04   Link #58
AnimeFangirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
I suppose that's what happened in the "War of Magic" thing Rabbie was mumbling about later on. It looked more like a scene from War of the Worlds than anything else. I totally didn't understand that bit: why did it happen, when, what stopped them, etc, etc. In fact, I think it's a crime that such an awful OVA should have such a cute theme song. Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu!
__________________
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 01:30   Link #59
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I suppose that's what happened in the "War of Magic" thing Rabbie was mumbling about later on. It looked more like a scene from War of the Worlds than anything else. I totally didn't understand that bit: why did it happen, when, what stopped them, etc, etc. In fact, I think it's a crime that such an awful OVA should have such a cute theme song. Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu!
The story is mentioned on the Tenbatsu webpage. Namely, there was a battle between the Heavens and the Earth, and Elemental Transformation Weapons were used, etc, etc, etc.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 01:44   Link #60
chickenfeather
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Send a message via AIM to chickenfeather
Sigh... I actually like the original version of the ending song... the ova version has rock music drowning out most of it... or mebbe its just my headphones...
chickenfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.