AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-08, 03:09   Link #101
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I believe the show is done already... it finished at 13.....
Old 2004-04-18, 13:35   Link #102
Fritzy7208

Is Gokusen any good?

Can anybody tell me if Gokusen is any good i've heard a lot of things about it that it's a pretty good anime? Does it have a good storyline at all?
Fritzy7208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 15:36   Link #103
jennwenn

YES! Gokusen is awesome. Its hilarious with romance, action, comedy, and best of all - yakuza! Yankumi is the coolest gangster teacher ever. I recommend it. There is a good plot (not just a 'GTO rip-off') and great characters that develop as the series goes on.

I love how the character design makes their facial expressions seem extra-funny. Check out the manga too, being scanlated by ushi.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 19:06   Link #104
donna8157

Now that Gokusen has been licensed .. with only 3 episodes left!! .. is there anyone who is going to sub it?
donna8157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 19:08   Link #105
Secca
nya`
*Artist

It's a conspiracy, i'm telling you. 3 episodes left heheh. ^^
Old 2004-04-27, 19:11   Link #106
donna8157

Hehe.. yeah it seems like it. I guess the only way to get it would be to buy the entire series. The same thing happened with Chrno Crusade! Grrr ..
Old 2004-04-28, 00:08   Link #107
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna8157
Now that Gokusen has been licensed .. with only 3 episodes left!! .. is there anyone who is going to sub it?
I'm sure someone will prolly still sub it no matter what. AZN or ^_^ who were once AJ. AJ were subbing it before then stopped suddenly. They might pick up on it again maybe. And please dont ask me where to get them if they or another group decides to finish up the series. Google is your friend when it comes to these things. ^_^ Also if your gonna dl anything licensed I suggest you buy the DVD's when they are available I know I will. Support the Anime industry.
Old 2004-04-29, 02:18   Link #108
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
yeah, I'm looking forward to dvd releases of this one.

honestly when we started subbing it, I don't think anyone expected it to get licensed. Even in our own crew, there was a lot of expectation that nobody would like the series because of the unique art style, regardless of how good the plot is.

Last edited by complich8; 2004-04-29 at 08:16. Reason: (poorly placed 'mental-dialogue' comment deleted by author, replaced by something more relevant)
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 03:07   Link #109
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I wish I knew what forum rules you fear you are breaking. Please feel free to continue as long as you don't start saying that you are going to keep on subbing it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 09:19   Link #110
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I wish I knew what forum rules you fear you are breaking. Please feel free to continue as long as you don't start saying that you are going to keep on subbing it.
I'll continue a (very slightly) more composed train of thought, now that I've got a bit of sleep between the last post and now .... (even though I could definitely stand some more of the same). This'll probably be less of an abrupt "train fell off the bridge" and more of a "train slammed into a mountainside" session, just for some advance warning (thus may break rules about "staying on topic" -- though I don't think there's a rule for coherency last I checked (which was about 5 minutes ago -- nonsense and lack of clear structure are two different things), so it may still be ok ).

Sometimes I wonder about the impact of fansubbing (and gokusen's license in particular makes me wonder about it). I guess I wonder if the dvd-purchasing audience as a whole would likely go out and buy some series with an odd name and unique artwork (like gokusen or narutaru). But then with the ubiquity of fansubs I don't think their effect could really be measured in a meaningful way.

Stuff like RoD and GitS stands on the impact the ovas/movies created and the market hype, and will succeed in colossal ways no matter what (barring being pigeonholed by the license holder, or butchered to hell). These things are prelicensed for a reason: everyone knows they'll be solid.

Then there's stuff in the Gundam series vein... you know a serious gundam series is going to follow the same basic set of rules, and is going to have the same mass appeal to mecha otakus throughout the world that it had 3 or 4 years ago the last time they made a serious gundam series. But I can see why they don't prelicense that stuff ... because there's still the potential for something to go horribly wrong (eg: SD gundam *shudders*)

But there's stuff that's completely new and independent. I think it could be taken as a testament to the strength and appeal of a series when a company licenses it while it's still airing. It's a statement "we're confident in this series, it'll fly in the US and we'll help it do so." At least that's how I like to interpret it. It gives me a feeling that the dvd companies are tuned-in to the community.

But then there are a lot of things around that air completely, get fansubbed completely and as fansubs are very successful, and then a couple months later or a couple years later when they don't look like they'll ever get licensed and are down in the dustbin waiting for the janitor to come and dump them for good someone picks them up, dusts them off, and decides they're worth a second look (see also: azumanga daioh, kodocha, ippo). It's clear that the presence of fansubs in these situations, and the success and popularity of these fansubs, didn't incite the licensors to go and actually try to get the license (pretty much everyone I have asked who followed the fansub community at the time, which amounts to all of maybe 10 people, had seen at all of azumanga daioh long before it ever got licensed, and bemoaned the tragedy which was its sad state of unlicensedness).

So I guess really my line of thinking is ... other than adv's stated position (at a con a while back, that fansubs are just a direct pipe to producing chinese and hk pirate copies), are the dvd companies really aware of the market they're selling to? Are we the market they're trying to sell to at all, for that matter?

I think this was asked to Jerry from bandai back around the creation of #askjerry and the whole "ok, stop subbing gits and gseed, everyone" thing, but like any official rep of any well-known company he was a bit mobbed so nobody really had time to get any more of an answer than "we know what's good" from him.

So is anyone really listening to us? When we say things like "I'd love to see narutaru licensed" or the ever-drooling population screaming "nooooo dont license my naruto eye needz my fix!!1!one!!" and as importantly, how does this relate to the relevance of fansubs in the US. Would gokusen (or ippo, or any other strange-styled series) have been licensed if we (as a community) hadn't fansubbed it? Would it have as much promise on dvd as it does now? Will people be satisfied with fansubs and decide that it's not worth buying the dvds? If dvd companies aren't paying attention, are they missing out? If they are paying attention and acknowledged the role that this part of the community may play, would they be legitimizing an inherently illegal practice, giving us carte blanche that they fear they may have to revoke (and have difficulty revoking, at that) at the behest of the original producers in the not-too-distant future? In other words, even if they are listening, could they admit it without getting themselves into worlds of trouble? Why can't I stop asking largely rhetorical questions?

Bleh ... I'm going to read this next time I wake up and wonder what the hell I was thinking hitting the "submit message" button. Call it 'a window into complich8's mind' if you want to . Thanks for the encouragement NoSanninWa -- you are the rock that cracked the dam that subsequently shattered and released the river that flooded out the homes of thousands (or at least the dozen-odd people still reading this thread)
Old 2004-05-02, 18:39   Link #111
donna8157

Hmm. that's really interesting. Maybe it is due to the large amount of downloads of the series that helped prompt Gokusen to become licensed. I know that because you guys have been subbing it, I am now looking forward to buying the series on DVD. As for whether or not I would buy the DVDs if I had the entire series on hard drive, I think I still would buy it since I like it that much. I think there is a large community out there that downloads series and do not buy it after it's released in the US, but I think that there is a greater amount of people that actually do buy licensed anime DVDs.

Are any other people here going to buy Gokusen when it comes out on DVD?
Old 2004-05-06, 01:29   Link #112
Weirdanzeige
Anti-You

Damnit!!!! Since When Has It Been Licensed?! >_<
Old 2004-05-06, 01:46   Link #113
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdanzeige
Damnit!!!! Since When Has It Been Licensed?! >_<
A few weeks ago I think. If you don't know yet the live action isn't licensed and ep3 just came out not too long ago.
Old 2004-05-06, 10:16   Link #114
Weirdanzeige
Anti-You

yeah I know, but judging from the seeding and leeching status that's displayed on AS, I won't be getting it any time soon. Besides, I'd rather get 1-2 first....

yeah, I can wait, since I bet the Live Action most likely won't be licensed any time soon *looks at G.T.O live action* :P
Old 2004-06-30, 23:03   Link #115
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Liked the last few eps of this. There was a very odd moment in the last episode - a big payoff in the sort of violence the show kept trying to tiptoe around. It was fun and ironic.

A tiny scene at the very end hinted that although Yankumi already has somebody she likes, someone else is thinking about her...

Overall the anime came off as sort of a novelty/comedy deal, a bit different than the manga. I am not sure at this point if anything would cause me to rewatch it.
Old 2007-10-09, 15:38   Link #116
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Man no one has touched this forum in some time. Can someone provide me with the full title for 'Gokusen'. I know 'Gokusen' is the short conbination word but I know it has a longer heading. If anyone knows pass it along. Thanks.

Oh and what is called when they combine words like that? For example 'KareKano', 'Saikano', 'Gokusen', etc... I know there's a term but I forget.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote