AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

View Poll Results: What Grade will you give for Da Capo??
4-5 Star (Heart warming, Breath Taking) 63 51.22%
3-4 Star (Great!!) 29 23.58%
2-3 Star (Some flaws Detected) 22 17.89%
1-2 Star (Not interested...) 4 3.25%
This is one damn lousy series 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-03, 11:40   Link #521
baka
Apathy

Send a message via AIM to baka
before i went out and got this series i was wondering what several of you thought of this series ? Even just opinions would be very much appreciated.
Old 2004-04-03, 12:19   Link #522
7thMethuselah

Well a short description: the series deals with Nemu her brother Junichi and their friends. The main plot revolves around the Nemu, Junnichi and Junichi's niece Sakura. Sakura returns to japan after 6 years and goes directly after Junnichi. However she is not the only one that wants to be with him. During the plot you also get introduced to several other girls. Basically they all more or less have something for Junnichi and they all not "completely" normal (you'll understand what that means after a few episodes).

So it's a romantic anime, at first it starts out rather light with quite some humor involved in it as well, later on it gets really serious as the several relationships between the characters start to develop. Also keep in mind it romance/magic anime, while the magic part is not significantly present it plays a very big role. The most beautifull thing about this anime is the several relation Junnichi develops with these girls, if you like a heavy drama or romance anime, try it out I'm sure you'll love it.

PS Keep in mind the last minutes of each episode are either a videoclip or some side episode, just skip these they are worthless and are nothing more than filler material. So most episode are in fact only about 15 minutes, the last 4-5 episodes have the full 25 minutes.
Old 2004-04-03, 12:34   Link #523
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka
before i went out and got this series i was wondering what several of you thought of this series ? Even just opinions would be very much appreciated.
Opinions on Da Capo? Well, I really liked it a lot - definitely a memorable show that leaves you wanting more, I thought. Although the characters may seem a bit stereotypical at first, they are still well-played and interesting. The first half of the show is more light-hearted - it's sort an opportunity to get to know the characters. Then, in the second half, things turn a fair bit more serious and dramatic and the plot really drives until the very end. Compared to other shows in the genre, this show surprised me with the guy choosing a girl in the middle of the show, rather than at the very end. The last 6-8 episodes deal with the aftermath or the consequences of his choice, which was very well played out. Definitely the relationships that Junichi has with all the girls is what makes the show so interesting, and regardless of which girl is your "favorite", I think you'll still at least accept the way things turn out. And while I won't give anything away, I wasn't disappointed in the ending at all. All in all, Da Capo is definitely one of my all-time favorite animes, and highly recommended if you like romance/drama.

Also worth mentioning that (and 7thMethuselah also mentioned this in his post while I was typing this), most of the episodes themselves are about 16 minutes or so, with a 5-minute side-story. Opinions on the side-stories vary, but if you don't like them, you can just skip them. (My opinion: some of the side stories I liked, some not so much, but if you're watching a whole bunch of episodes in one sitting, I'd just skip the side-stories and come back to them later. They're worth watching, I think, but they seem to break the flow when you're watching a bunch of episodes in a row.)
Old 2004-04-16, 15:31   Link #524
KBTKaiser

*checks listings, blinks, rubs eyes to make sure he isn't dreaming. checks again, blinks, rubs eyes, goes to another website before keeping himself calm.*

Soldats finished Da Capo...XD XD XD
Old 2004-04-16, 18:18   Link #525
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser
*checks listings, blinks, rubs eyes to make sure he isn't dreaming. checks again, blinks, rubs eyes, goes to another website before keeping himself calm.*

Soldats finished Da Capo...XD XD XD
I always thought Soldats was the better version, because they encode the video at 29.97fps. It's smooth-scrolling, unlike the sometimes jerky AonE&HQA version. But both are okay in terms of everything else, I'm just nitpicking I guess.
Old 2004-04-27, 19:15   Link #526
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

My long rant...

I just finished watching Da Capo, and I'm a little late, but I was totally blown away. I enjoyed the series completely. It was a little silly at the beginning (though I got used to it and found it quite amusing), but the second drama-filled half totally killed me. I went through KGNE without too much emotion (though I enjoyed it enormously), but Da Capo blasted me on the drama scale.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to choose who my favorite girl is. I really liked Nemu and was kinda rooting for her the whole time, but I also really understood Sakura, Yoriko, and Miharu (though I thought Moe-sempai was pretty hot ). It almost killed me watching the endings for Yoriko and Miharu. (especially Miharu, since she for one doesn't get to keep the memories that she cherishes so much).

Interestingly, I don't harbor any harsh feelings for Sakura. Though everything is her fault, she can't control it, and I felt terrible near the end when she kept hitting the tree and hoping it would die. You also can't deny the brother-sister-like bond that she has with Asakura and the whole "blood-is-thicker-than-water" motif that ran through the series.

Lastly, this was the first series I've ever watched where I wasn't annoyed with the lead male character. Asakura was pretty sharp of wit, kind, and responsive (definitely a departure from the hopeless, worthless protagonists we see often in similar series). That was definitely refreshing.

Overall, the series was incredible. I thought I was pretty tough b/c KGNE didn't faze me that much, but DC was something new. The magic and lavish animation style was breathtaking, and the drama was very well done. I doubt I'll be seeing a series this well-made for a while.
Old 2004-04-28, 11:13   Link #527
WeeJie354
D.N.Angel FoReVeR

Ambience Blue....u miss out one more girl.... shirakawa Kotori........
Old 2004-04-28, 18:53   Link #528
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

eh... he... he...

Srry, Wee.

I actually missed two characters-- Kotori and Mako. Mako was kinda cool, but she had the whole Futaba (GrnGrn) thing going for her, and I didn't see her as a very important character. Also, I was hoping I wouldn't have to say this, but I really didn't feel much for Kotori. To me, she was just another supporting character without too much of an emotional role in the series. Other than the fact that she was a pretty good singer, I was just kinda eh... about her. Sorry.

:: Dodges hail of rocks from Kotori fans :: Gomen nasai!!!
Old 2004-04-28, 19:04   Link #529
TronDD
Team the box!

I liked Kotori, but you're right, she didn't really get as much focus as the other girls. She had a good story and I think she was very likable but she didn't stand a chance.
Old 2004-04-29, 15:36   Link #530
Itlandm
Porcupine

In vaguely related news, my co-workers now know, err believe, that I'm a weirdo because I kept humming Kotori's theme song for like five hours straight. Yay. So where can I buy it?
Old 2004-05-03, 02:25   Link #531
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I finished da capo a while ago, but here's my take on it

Don't you think all the girls are NOT NORMAL? Here we have a cat-maid, a sister, a 12 year old kid whos actually 18, a school idol that could read minds, a robot girl, and a cross between otohime (love hina) and the osaka girl from azumanga. Then we have the most NORMAL character in the anime: Mako.

That's why mako is the best, and she'll stay my fav girl character for a while...except for akane from kgne.

Suginami is the epitome of man. 'nuff said.
Old 2004-05-03, 04:22   Link #532
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart

Don't you think all the girls are NOT NORMAL? Here we have a cat-maid, a sister, a 12 year old kid whos actually 18, a school idol that could read minds, a robot girl, and a cross between otohime (love hina) and the osaka girl from azumanga. Then we have the most NORMAL character in the anime: Mako.

That's why mako is the best, and she'll stay my fav girl character for a while...except for akane from kgne.

Suginami is the epitome of man. 'nuff said.
Now that you say it I come to think of it
Weird ladies
Old 2004-05-03, 04:43   Link #533
FeiFongWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
I always thought Soldats was the better version, because they encode the video at 29.97fps. It's smooth-scrolling, unlike the sometimes jerky AonE&HQA version. But both are okay in terms of everything else, I'm just nitpicking I guess.

I wanted to pick up a batch of Soldats just to see if the quality was beter in terms of video and sound... only thing keeping me from doing that, is that Soldats doesn't have a batch torrent for this anime, you have to get each episode one by one, and often there are no seeds. Make them come in batchs and there won't be much of a seed promblem, since when you have a lot of people downloading a batch at once, most the time you don't need a seed to finish since everyone has enough pieces to complete the download. Example... Daa!Daa!Daa! always like 20 plus people download the batch torrents thats why sometimes when I think about seeding for it when i don't see a seed, I check with Azureus, and I notice that is has like a 2.80av or 3.80av even with no seed. Bigger the batch the beter! To bad for people without high-speed internet though
Old 2004-05-03, 04:53   Link #534
Itlandm
Porcupine

Then again, how many anime characters are even remotely normal in the first place? ^_^ Look at the girls in Kanon, to take a similar series, most of them are pretty unusual. Even the fairly realistic "To Heart" featured a robot maid!
Old 2004-05-03, 05:03   Link #535
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:

Don't think about it too hard, dude. It is just a fantasy romance anime.
Fantasy == anyhing magical is possible
Old 2004-05-03, 20:23   Link #536
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

oh my this thread has become HUGE!!!

27000 posts! i hope the moderators make a separate Da Capo thread (like kgne)

Mako was my fav character. Not only is she normal, but she actually has a reason to go out with Asakura. Seems to me all the other girls love jyuunichi because he's got the pimping smoothness gene in him.

sad that suginami doesn't get a girl...
Old 2004-05-04, 00:09   Link #537
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Yes it is indeed huge and it should of gotton its own forum long ago but that wasn't the case. Since Da Capo has finished airing and not a lot of discussion is taking place like before it will not get its own forum. Asakura is just one lucky bastard I say and stupid at the same time. He could'v got sweet little Kotori but what did he do... he rejected her when she confessed and poured out her little heart to him on their schools rooftop. Baka Suginami is a freak he doesn't deserve a girl.
Old 2004-05-04, 01:03   Link #538
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

oh?

Suginami is cool because he knows everything...
Yeah, it's kind of sad that kotori got dumped...she's the school idol goddamnit!

Ending question:

When jyunichi runs in the last episode, and he meets Nemu in the end, does that mean jyunichi picks nemu? or is it a very open ended ending? (hence the title)

and is Asakura jyunichi spelled J-y-u-n-i-c-h-i or j-u-u-i-c-h-i?
Old 2004-05-04, 03:27   Link #539
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
oh?

Ending question:

When jyunichi runs in the last episode, and he meets Nemu in the end, does that mean jyunichi picks nemu? or is it a very open ended ending? (hence the title)
Well he already made his choice before that final scene. Thats why he rejected Kotori and all the other girls who happened to have feelings for him. So its certain he picked her but as for whether they will continue having a lovers relationship or going back to brother and sisterly love is hard to tell. That part they left wide opened.
Old 2004-05-04, 20:47   Link #540
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
Asakura is just one lucky bastard I say and stupid at the same time. He could'v got sweet little Kotori but what did he do... he rejected her when she confessed and poured out her little heart to him on their schools rooftop. Baka Suginami is a freak he doesn't deserve a girl.
Lol. I actually found Asakura quite likeable as a main character. He was pretty honest, straightforward, and he wasn't verbally/socially inept like a lot of other main characters of this genre. Compared to Takayuki (whom I despise not for his decisions but because of his complete lack of linguistic capabilities), he was actually pretty clever and diplomatic.

As for Suginami, at first I was convinced that he was just about the oddest and gayest (not meant in an offensive way) supporting male character ever, but by the end, I thought he was hilarious. And he can call aliens and pull Matrix moves on Mako . Suginami is too suave for a girl
Closed Thread

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, kemonomimi, magic, romance, school life, seinen, zexcs