AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky☆Star - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 197 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 127 28.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 71 15.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 3.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.67%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.22%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 1.34%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-03-30, 22:38   Link #181
TechnoToy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Am I the only one who thinks this series is total garbage?

4/10.
TechnoToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 23:44   Link #182
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
well, no -- there were 10 people who voted your score or less in the tally

But yeah, you're in the minority -- it might be more interesting to read if you could explain *why* you didn't enjoy it.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 02:55   Link #183
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 26
Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
it might be more interesting to read if you could explain *why* you didn't enjoy it.
True. I don't like people saying something sucks without any proper explanation.

I know a guy who hates it for being overly cute (chibi overdose). No wonder when he's only watching Death Note, Monster and stuff like that. Maybe this is a similar case?
__________________
:3
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 22:46   Link #184
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
True. I don't like people saying something sucks without any proper explanation.

I know a guy who hates it for being overly cute (chibi overdose). No wonder when he's only watching Death Note, Monster and stuff like that. Maybe this is a similar case?
That would be my initial guess.... people who only watch violent action shounen or very grim stuff often get disoriented by "slice of life", comedy, romance, or other forms of anime Browsing his other posts though, he seems to like or at least knows a variety of genre including AzuDa. I've seen a fair number of people who like AzuDa but just didn't find anything to like about L*S, so it is more complex than "don't like slice'o'life" -- which is why I like to read what they think even if I disagree.

But yeah... posting something is fabulous or sucks without any supporting info - they have basically wasted their own time in posting and possibly just cratered their credibility ....
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 00:05   Link #185
Yokai
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Speaking of people who don't like chibi art styles, I am usually one of these people. This show isn't the case for me, I loved it a lot. It really opened my eyes to not judging a show just by it's visual choices.

The first episodes I was a bit worried about the way it was going, it seemed that the jokes were limited, but it moved on at quite a great pace after the director switch. It wasn't necessarily that the show started out horribly, it just didn't have enough content and the jokes kept repeating all the time. It wasn't a good formula, even though comedy formula is to often times repeat jokes, because there wasn't enough spacing between segments and it wasn't always random enough to warrant a return of that joke. For example, often times shows like southpark will repeat a joke but take it a step further. This show would repeat too soon, and wouldn't take it any further. That is, until later in the series.

The art style is great, especially for this type of show. Looking at the thick lines used on eyelashes really reminded me of school-esque doodle drawings, where the thick line is just a flat headed marker stroke across the page. It was symplistic, which gave a very school esque vibe, but was also well animated. Things were all in all smooth, and were pretty stylized when heavy movement was taking place.

I am not a major otaku, but I still liked the jokes and how Kagami always gave the Konata otaku joke a twist back into the real world, stating how it is kind of stupid and unrealistic and really shows how motivation can be directed at the wrong place. The only problem I had really with the jokes was when they were edited or bleeped out, which got annoying especially at the gundam reference. I didn't know you could get into legal trouble for just mentioning a show, but I guess it could happen. Other than that, there was little to hate about the show. It had it's slower moments, but also kept a nice pace and kept you entertained with what the characters are doing.

I've heard a lot of bad rep when it comes to the Lucky Channel segment, but I found it alright the first episode, and then the other few episodes it just felt too much of the same. The idea wasn't poor, but I felt like they should have done what happened to lucky channel later in the show earlier, to keep things fresh and creative. There were moments that were genuinely funny, and other moments where it felt like the last 2 pages of a manga where it give a somewhat witty background about a character but doesn't really keep you that interested. The problem was also that when it did those boring character descriptions, it would take about 5 to 7 minutes of a episode, which is far too much wasted time.

This may be out of place here, but the English dub of the show wasn't too bad either. Did a good job keeping characters similar. The only voice in the English version I didn't like was the person who played Patricia, only because her voice didn't sound foreign but instead sounded poorly mic'd. The Japanese dub was great aswell, but I just thought it was worth noting that the English dub team did well enough that I felt like it was localized but also true to the original.

It isn't the best show in the world, but it was better than I expected going into it. I was recommended it by my Japanese teacher (of all people) and she said that at times it can be kinda of girly and cute but at the same time really tackles the otaku or anime fan audience. I didn't really get what she meant by that fully, but after a long while of hesitation, I watched the show and after that I really understood what she meant before. It is a series worth trying atleast the first 5 episodes or so, and then deciding completely how you feel about it. It's definitely a show that is better in one sitting, segment at a time. Like 4 episodes, stop, 4 episodes, stop.

I think the total rating would be 8 out of 10, just because there were those few annoying tendencies in the writing and the progression, however in no way is this meant to be a "poor" mark. I tend to rate things literally and something getting a 10/10 would be nearly impossible for me.

Looking that the rating, I feel like there may have been way too many 10s for this show, but to each their own I suppose. I just don't think it can be called perfect when it has quite a few flaws in progression.
__________________

Last edited by Yokai; 2009-04-01 at 00:28.
Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 23:51   Link #186
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 20
At first when I watched the series, I barely got ANY of the jokes, aside from the few more obvious ones. I really only watched it because it was calm and relaxing, and was just interesting to watch. Between then and now, I have watched a good 20+ anime series, and just recently, I decided on a whim to re-watch Lucky Star. And to my surprise, the humor made sense. From watching the anime series that I did, I learned a very great deal more about Japanese culture, and common anime scenarios (Eg boy and girl getting locked in gym storage room together), and due to that fact, I understood about 50-80% more of the humor. (I still didn't get some of the hardcore stuff)

Animation Quality: 8/10 don't have much to say here...

Script: 9/10 Didn't really have much of a script, but it didn't need one either

Voice Acting: 10/10 It was really good, really no downsides to it...

Editing: No idea, I've seen people post different things here, no idea what it is >.>

Emotional Involvement: 7/10 Maybe I'm just used to watching series with depressing storylines, but I really didn't get emotionally involved in this... other than the humor which pretty much made up for it I suppose.

Characters: 10/10 wide variety that you can relate to, from lazy and laid back to energetic and crazy

Overall: 9/10. Liked it a lot, always made my day to watch an episode and calm my senses. :]
Mr Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 09:31   Link #187
TechnoToy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
well, no -- there were 10 people who voted your score or less in the tally

But yeah, you're in the minority -- it might be more interesting to read if you could explain *why* you didn't enjoy it.
For me, characters play a huge role in how I rate an anime. I just found the characters in Lucky Star very intolerable. Everyone says how Konata is a great character, but I just found her annoying. Just the way she acted and the things she said kind of aggravated me. And unfortunately she is the subject of worship by man LS-tards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGbE9yLLA4 darkpanda008's comment). She is probably the main reason for my general disgust of this series (albeit the other character were a major annoyance as well).


It's weird, I am usually all for the kind of random and episodic anime, (like Nyoron Churuya-san and Azumanga Daioh) but Lucky Star didn't really appeal to me. Now for the people that are going to say "I bet you didn't watch past episode 4", I've watched the whole series, so I gave it a fair chance to redeem itself.

Sorry if I've peeved you off, but that's what I think. Let the flames begin.
TechnoToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 16:35   Link #188
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 26
Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoToy View Post
For me, characters play a huge role in how I rate an anime. I just found the characters in Lucky Star very intolerable. Everyone says how Konata is a great character, but I just found her annoying. Just the way she acted and the things she said kind of aggravated me. And unfortunately she is the subject of worship by man LS-tards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGbE9yLLA4 darkpanda008's comment). She is probably the main reason for my general disgust of this series (albeit the other character were a major annoyance as well).


It's weird, I am usually all for the kind of random and episodic anime, (like Nyoron Churuya-san and Azumanga Daioh) but Lucky Star didn't really appeal to me. Now for the people that are going to say "I bet you didn't watch past episode 4", I've watched the whole series, so I gave it a fair chance to redeem itself.

Sorry if I've peeved you off, but that's what I think. Let the flames begin.
There's no need for flame.

You just have a different opinion which you explained and which we shall respect. I'm sorry to hear you didn't find it enjoyable, though. Even more am I surprised that you named such anime series as AD or Nyoron, saying you liked them and still do not like LS. Well, I guess even such people do exist.
__________________
:3
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 20:34   Link #189
Yokai
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoToy View Post
For me, characters play a huge role in how I rate an anime. I just found the characters in Lucky Star very intolerable. Everyone says how Konata is a great character, but I just found her annoying. Just the way she acted and the things she said kind of aggravated me. And unfortunately she is the subject of worship by man LS-tards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGbE9yLLA4 darkpanda008's comment). She is probably the main reason for my general disgust of this series (albeit the other character were a major annoyance as well).


It's weird, I am usually all for the kind of random and episodic anime, (like Nyoron Churuya-san and Azumanga Daioh) but Lucky Star didn't really appeal to me. Now for the people that are going to say "I bet you didn't watch past episode 4", I've watched the whole series, so I gave it a fair chance to redeem itself.
What, specifically, do you dislike about the characters or find annoying? Many people like Konata because she is either a lot like yourself, an extreme opposite which makes it funny, or a mix in between (which was the case for me.)
__________________
Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 02:36   Link #190
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokai View Post
What, specifically, do you dislike about the characters or find annoying? Many people like Konata because she is either a lot like yourself, an extreme opposite which makes it funny, or a mix in between (which was the case for me.)
Well, I can see how you would hate Konata. She definitely does take advantage of her friends to some degree and she teases Kagami. Sometimes it can get on your nerves, but Konata does have plenty of moments where she is picked on or the tides are turned on her. I usually find those moments more funny since she's the boke in this situation.

But, I do kind of agree that you will see a few characters in Lucky Star you really don't like. I can't stand Minami and Yutaka.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 16:13   Link #191
Yokai
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Well, I can see how you would hate Konata. She definitely does take advantage of her friends to some degree and she teases Kagami. Sometimes it can get on your nerves, but Konata does have plenty of moments where she is picked on or the tides are turned on her. I usually find those moments more funny since she's the boke in this situation.

But, I do kind of agree that you will see a few characters in Lucky Star you really don't like. I can't stand Minami and Yutaka.
Well if Konata wasn't over the top with it, it wouldn't be funny, it would just be a slacker. The fact that she ALWAYS asks for homework and tries to legitimize it is part of the hilarity of the character.

Also, you don't have to agree with a personality of a character all the time. The fact she is different really represents real life more than if they were all morally goody-two-shoes. Ex. Light Yagami is a horrible person in morality, however that doesn't mean in any means he is a bad character. I feel Konata's the same, in a less extreme matter of course. I feel her Otaku-ism is childish, consumerist, and downright wrong at times, however that doesn't mean she isn't a funny character. In fact, it is that and Kagami's, the character who is supposed to pinch you and bring you back to reality, response that makes the show funny.

I really dislike people judging characters by their moral traits or decisions: That is what makes them unique characters. If they all were morally similar, it would be as though they are the same character.

Again, I don't think this show is "perfect," but I feel it definitely does a good job being funny without trying to push jokes around. The real joke in the series is how characters interact with one another, and that can only work if the characters are extremes of something. Miyuki is incredibly clumsy, Kagami is incredibly organized and rarely makes real mistakes, and Tsukasa is a bit of a mix between both Konata and Kagami.
__________________
Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 04:03   Link #192
Akka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I loved the show, and spent a very, very good time watching it.
I like well-done slice'o'life (okay, I tend to like about anything that is "well done"), and I had a great chemistery with the "special trip" it takes to enjoy Lucky Star.

I'm among the people who had a ball watching the girls talking about "how do you eat this ?" for a third of the first episode. I know many were driven off by this, but for me, I laughed and had a blast.

The whole otaku/geek constant shout out were also extremely funny. Konata is definitely someone I can relate with when it comes to gaming and the non-consumerist part of manga/anime fan.
It was perhaps a bit heavy-handed on Haruhi after a while, to the point it started to become a bit like thin-veiled publicity, but there was enough jokes about it to keep it fun and good-natured.

The characters were mostly pleasant : Konata is fun and, as said above, someone I can really relate with. Most of the rest of the cast is at least sympathetic (only Yui was a real bore, in fact).
Kuroi was the kind of teacher that only exists in a dreams (a good-looking teacher with a heart of gold and who spend her free time playing games ? Come on, if that's not the ultimate combo, I don't know what it can be...). And Kagami... well, she's redefining the notion of "cute".

All in all, a VERY good serie. I give it a deserved 8, and unlike most people who reason only in "10" or "0", I consider a 8 a very high rating.
Quote:
I really dislike people judging characters by their moral traits or decisions: That is what makes them unique characters. If they all were morally similar, it would be as though they are the same character.
That's quite contradictory (and doesn't make lots of sense).
If all characters aren't similar, then it stands to reason than they won't be liked the same. Precisely because they do vary. Also, NOT judging a character on his morality is absurd. You find someone is "sweet" or "a jerk", because of this. Of course you can be entertained by a jerk character (Haruhi, Haruhi, do you hear me ? She was, BTW, the main problem - even though she's the wole point - of the serie for me, precisely for this reason), but that doesn't mean you have to actually like her
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 12:50   Link #193
Konatafan
Lucky Star Maniac
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my own little anime world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
And Kagami... well, she's redefining the notion of "cute".
Especially when she's sporting a ponytail
Konatafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 13:34   Link #194
Akka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konatafan View Post
Especially when she's sporting a ponytail
I must have been blinded by her overall cuteness, I don't remember the ponytail moment.
When was it ?
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 13:39   Link #195
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoToy View Post
Sorry if I've peeved you off, but that's what I think. Let the flames begin.
No, actually I appreciate the explanation. My peeve comes with people who can't explain their opinions or who simply make assertions as if they were self-evident facts.

(hint: my poking stick is usually engaged by someone who ends each post with the "brilliant QED" - "end of story, discussion, etc"; they usually the ones with the most logic holes )
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 23:55   Link #196
Konatafan
Lucky Star Maniac
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my own little anime world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
I must have been blinded by her overall cuteness, I don't remember the ponytail moment.
When was it ?
I think it was in episode 3?when they are talking about National Ponytail Day.
Konatafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 03:51   Link #197
Akka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konatafan View Post
I think it was in episode 3?when they are talking about National Ponytail Day.
Ah yes !
Too bad it was barely for a few seconds (Tsukasa's very short one was quite cute BTW) ^^
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 10:59   Link #198
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokai View Post
I really dislike people judging characters by their moral traits or decisions: That is what makes them unique characters. If they all were morally similar, it would be as though they are the same character.
I just wanted to say that I agree with this statement, and consider it one of the more difficult things to stick to in general as a fan. There was someone here who absolutely hated Konata's dad Soujirou because she didn't agree with his morality, and her dislike generated many posts likening him to a sexual predator or a rapist. I on the other hand, also disagree with his morality, but I found him funny and just enjoyed his small presence in the series.

I think that outlook will lead to a happier viewing experience of any show. (Gotta admit though, Yagami Light sure did challenge me.)
__________________

"As one becomes more virtuous, one becomes a tsundere."
Kagami~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 14:35   Link #199
porous_shield
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
My enjoyment of the show went down considerably when they started introducing all the new characters. I always though Yukata and Minami were a bore, great characters for the others to work off of, but they should have spent less time in the spot light. Patricia and Hyori had their moments and I wish time was taken away from the other girls and placed on them. I'm not saying I disliked the show, but I started skipping over parts.

I rarely dislike a character based on morality or worldview, I may hate them, but I don't dislike seeing them in the anime. The only times I dislike a character are when they are utterly annoying, Mokoto in Minami-Ke as do Mikoto in Mai-Hime. I can't think of any character reaching their peak of annoying in Lucky Star.
porous_shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 14:45   Link #200
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by porous_shield View Post
My enjoyment of the show went down considerably when they started introducing all the new characters. I always though Yukata and Minami were a bore, great characters for the others to work off of, but they should have spent less time in the spot light. Patricia and Hyori had their moments and I wish time was taken away from the other girls and placed on them. I'm not saying I disliked the show, but I started skipping over parts.

I rarely dislike a character based on morality or worldview, I may hate them, but I don't dislike seeing them in the anime. The only times I dislike a character are when they are utterly annoying, Mokoto in Minami-Ke as do Mikoto in Mai-Hime. I can't think of any character reaching their peak of annoying in Lucky Star.
That was the main issue I had with them. Yutaka and Minami were just so very one-dimensional and a good amount of time was focused on them. The first years didn't have a great amount of charm than the 3rd years did because they didn't have too much to work with. Many of there conversations consisted on...

Yutaka is cute and innocent, Minami is embarrassed about herself for some...reason, Hiyori is unlucky and perverted, and Patricia is an otaku from America.

They didn't have too many moments where they had simple conversations. Nothing really just sort of "pops" with them. The pros about Hiyori and Patty though is that who they are doesn't define them. Just because your an otaku doesn't mean we know your personality.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.