AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-22, 01:02   Link #1
Psycho Power J
Taking in Life's hits

A "Second Look" thread would be something for people to discuss the things that they noticed from rewatching the series. Things that were missed or never really noticed in the first place might be something that hopefully, brings a different perspective of the series.

Like how Pan Kojou / Bread Factory was actually first mentioned by Tsukasa in the 2nd episode. This made me think that's it's game played by the Hiiragi twins when they were younger. On episode 3, the invitation card that Konata got shows that Yui was married to Kiyotaka Narumi, the same name as the brother of the protagonist in Spiral. This could be a possible reference to the series, since Madoka, Kiyotaka's wife in Spiral, is a member of the police force just like Yui is. Both Kiyotakas also never appear in the anime series other than being referenced to.

There's actually quite a number consistent details in the designs of the environment that I didn't really give much attention at first. Like the rooms of the crew. Notable things are the picture of flowers over of Kagami's bed and stuff toys which always include a dolphin over Tsukasa's. Tsukasa also has two identical white teddy bears on each side of her pillow. Konata has a fox on top of a book pile next to hers. And Tsukasa has a stuffed sleepy version of the intermission kitty. Yutaka has the wide awake one. Kagami also keeps a cactus in her room, which is a strange thing to have unless you consider her prickly exterior.

Which brings up another thing. Out of the main 4, Miyuki's room was the only one that was never shown in the whole series (at least, not one with a bed). I guess that shows just how much attention was paid to her. Even Hiyori's room was shown in more detail.
Old 2007-09-22, 01:53   Link #2
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I'm trying to piece together a timeline, but I'm too lazy to recap all the little details in every episode right now. This is all coming from memory and Wikipedia outlines.
More to come.

Several things I would like to ask:
- I'm pretty sure the 4 main charas started the show in their first year. At which episode did they transition to their second?
- And when to the third?

Spring
Episode 1: Unknown, probably mid-April
Beginning of second year for the 4 main characters

Episode 2: April 29 - May 12
Golden Week and tests the week after

Summer
Episode 3: May - June
Summer uniforms

Episode 4: June - mid-July
Hiiragi twins' birthday on July 7

Episode 5: mid-July - late-July
Summer Festival

Episode 6: August

Autumn
Episode 7: early September
End of Summer Break

Episode 8: September - October 22
Sports Days take place on Sundays

Episode 9: late-October - mid-November
Exams?

Last edited by Claies; 2007-09-22 at 10:53.
Old 2007-09-22, 02:01   Link #3
Teiran
NPC
*Author

Konata's gym clothes are labeled "2-E" in episode 1, so I'm fairly sure the girls are at the beginning of their second year as the anime opens.

They seem to begin their third year in episode 15 (in which Kagami is yet again placed into a different class; Yutaka, Minami, and company enter Ryouou; and the voiceover for the Yoshimizu Kagami Theater title card changes to "3-nen, B-gumi?").
Old 2007-09-22, 02:34   Link #4
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

I believe the show opened in the second year.

BTW, Can I post my ref post for EP 1 to 13 here? I plan to re-watch and write them again, and for me, they're things I've not researched out before. I plan to have a ref post for every episode of LS.
Old 2007-09-22, 12:38   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Damn...there goes my entire fanfic premise.
Gotta think about it again.
Old 2007-09-22, 23:41   Link #6
Psycho Power J
Taking in Life's hits

What was your fanfic about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
I believe the show opened in the second year.

BTW, Can I post my ref post for EP 1 to 13 here? I plan to re-watch and write them again, and for me, they're things I've not researched out before. I plan to have a ref post for every episode of LS.
Sure. I want to see the things that may have been missed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Episode 4: June - mid-July
Hiiragi twins' birthday on July 7
Was this ever mentioned in the series? I keep thinking it's from one of those manga bios, since I don't remember seeing this in the anime.
Quote:
Episode 8: September - October 22
Sports Days take place on Sundays
They do? I thought it was on regular school days. That would suck, since they'll have to go to school for practically two weeks straight

Quote:
Episode 9: late-October - mid-November
I'm pretty sure it's from November to December, just before the winter break.
Exams?
Old 2007-09-23, 02:19   Link #7
Teiran
NPC
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Power J View Post
Was this ever mentioned in the series? I keep thinking it's from one of those manga bios, since I don't remember seeing this in the anime.
Yeah, this is in the anime, too, but it's fairly easy to miss. Konata says something to the effect of "oh yeah, weren't you guys born on Tanabata?" to the twins in episode 3, and Tsukasa confirms it--"you remembered our birthday." Then, in a later exchange:

Konata: Did you know that you guys' birthday is Ponytail Day?
Kagami: But why July 7th?
Old 2007-09-23, 02:53   Link #8
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
What was your fanfic about?
Basically, Lucky*Star Alternate...with a lot of stuff. I thought the anime skipped an entire year or something so I planned to monopolize the girls' entire second year in the plot, but turns out I'm a bit off.

Looks like it's going to be alternate timeline, literally.

Quote:
They do? I thought it was on regular school days. That would suck, since they'll have to go to school for practically two weeks straight
They actually spend an entire week preparing for sports days, both practicing for the matches or organizing or whatever. Classes are canceled for that preparation period, and students spend the entire school day just practicing.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's from November to December, just before the winter break. Exams?
I don't know when the exams are in a standard Japanese academic term. I tried searching, but no dice. Academic terms in Japan and Korea, (those are all that I found for the ones I bothered to look up) are different from the rest of the world in that they start and end at Spring instead of the Summer.

Last edited by Claies; 2007-09-23 at 11:38. Reason: Not the Philippines! (thanks, isteb-isteb)
Old 2007-09-23, 05:03   Link #9
isteb-isteb
Intergalactic Superhero

well here in the philippines, classes start around june. i don't know about other places, but that's usually when summer ends for us here. summer break starts in april and ends in may. we don't have junior high here, so right after 6th grade, we hit our first year of high school. your average first year high school student here is around 13 years old.

yeah i watched the whole series last night and i noticed that exchange about tanabata being ponytail day... it reminded me of kyon's preference for ponytails in the series "SHnY". i bet 90% of you guys know already, but a whole lot of important events in that story revolve around tanabata.
Old 2007-09-23, 12:17   Link #10
PirateSkittles
Organization of Cute

When rewatching the series, I don't remember at which episode, but I noticed that the Hiiragi twins were watching "Detective Kunkun" on TV. I rewatched it right after I finished Rozen Maiden Overture, so I found it weird and funny that the twins would watch Kunkun too. xD;

I know that the twins' birthday is mentioned in the series, but are any of the other characters' birthdays also mentioned in the anime? I noticed some dates in their character bios, but where were they taken from?
Old 2007-09-23, 13:33   Link #11
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateSkittles View Post
When rewatching the series, I don't remember at which episode, but I noticed that the Hiiragi twins were watching "Detective Kunkun" on TV. I rewatched it right after I finished Rozen Maiden Overture, so I found it weird and funny that the twins would watch Kunkun too. xD;
I don't remember they've ever watched that. Which EP was it? If we know that we can tell you which TV show parody they were watching. 90% of the time they're making fun of an actual Japanese TV show.
Old 2007-09-23, 13:40   Link #12
X207
Gamyūsa

so far for me its noticing references to anime i hav recently seen after they initally aired such scenes. ie ep 4 kanon taiyaiki lateness excuse
Old 2007-09-23, 18:04   Link #13
animefanrk2k

Send a message via AIM to animefanrk2k Send a message via MSN to animefanrk2k
Actually, I started watching from episode 1 again just recently, and something caught me on episode 3:

When Konata makes the reference to Wedding Peach's Angel Salvia and Angel Daisy, she starts her comments off with the line "Yume ga ippai. Furil ippai." That's the first two lines in Yumemiru Ai Tenshi, the opening theme to Wedding Peach. (I know, since it's a pretty catchy song. XD)
Old 2007-09-23, 22:29   Link #14
Psycho Power J
Taking in Life's hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Basically, Lucky*Star Alternate...with a lot of stuff. I thought the anime skipped an entire year or something so I planned to monopolize the girls' entire second year in the plot, but turns out I'm a bit off.

Looks like it's going to be alternate timeline, literally.
How about first year? Just before they all get together. We know how Tsukasa and Konata met, but nothing about everyone else's.
Quote:
I don't know when the exams are in a standard Japanese academic term. I tried searching, but no dice. Academic terms in Japan and Korea, (those are all that I found for the ones I bothered to look up) are different from the rest of the world in that they start and end at Spring instead of the Summer.
I found this website here:

http://www.tij.ne.jp/en/course1.html

It seems that exam times are July, September, December, and March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animefanrk2k View Post
Actually, I started watching from episode 1 again just recently, and something caught me on episode 3:

When Konata makes the reference to Wedding Peach's Angel Salvia and Angel Daisy, she starts her comments off with the line "Yume ga ippai. Furil ippai." That's the first two lines in Yumemiru Ai Tenshi, the opening theme to Wedding Peach. (I know, since it's a pretty catchy song. XD)
You're right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPLIx-UinQs

Now I'll end up spending my time watching the different openings and endings.
Old 2007-09-25, 02:02   Link #15
Pell14

I saw konata holding a mag featuring fate stay night. i noticed that one on the first look although
Old 2007-10-14, 21:44   Link #16
Miabot

I just watched episode 6 and spotted a reference to Pita Ten I'd never spotted before~

Kagamin: Does this food really warrant so much praise?
Konata: Not really. Not enough to make you run into the ocean in a loin cloth.
Closed Thread