AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: English dubs or Japanese with subtitles?
Sub-snob. I don't listen to dubs. Period. They give me a headache. 74 32.46%
There are a few good dubs out there, but I really prefer subs. 93 40.79%
Subs, though I enjoy boh. 24 10.53%
I like them both about the same. 13 5.70%
Dubs, but I enjoy Japanese with subtitles too. 14 6.14%
Subs are watchable, but I prefer to stick the with dubs whenever possible. 9 3.95%
I like to listen to shows in a language I can understand. I can't stand subtitles. Dubs all the way. 1 0.44%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-09-23, 17:38   Link #21
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
I grew up watching dubs, but ever since I became a fansub watcher,; I've started to enjoy subs more. Even so, i don't mind watching a dub if I know the licensor has a good track record . Still, I tend to prefer subs not just because I like things in their native language, but I also hate the feeling of knowing I got something second handed and late. I'm one of those ppl who likes to be informed of things before everybody else. It is the main reason why I love fansubs.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 17:53   Link #22
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
It depends. If their dialog gets the message across, I will go by the voice acting between the English version and the original Japanese version. I will watch the version with the voices that fit the characters the best and acting.
Old 2007-09-23, 19:53   Link #23
Salamandra

I prefer dubbed unless it's done badly. Most of the anime I watched is subbed, but when I get dubbed, I'm usually fine with it. The only time when the English version was particularly bad was in Gantz, where Kei's voice has to be the most annoying thing ever made... although I only heard it in English after hearing it in Japanese.
Old 2007-09-23, 20:27   Link #24
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
I think that watching anime subbed is generally the best way to go, since the show is presented to you as close as possible to its original intended format (some subs can be badly done and make some things lost in translation). I do think that there are some excellent dubs out there. IMO, Fullmetal Alchemist's English track outdid its Japanese counterpart. However, anime is Japanese, and watching anime dubbed can lessen the cultural flavor one gets from watching anime in its original language.

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 21:52   Link #25
ArCainum

Okay, i cant help but mention FMA, probably the best dubbing i have seen to date.
ArCainum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 22:07   Link #26
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Subs no doubt, i'm not weeaboo or anything, but honestly there are too little VAs that can achieve the emotional acting thats on par with Japanese Seiyuu, and anime absolutely NEEDs that kind of quality voice-acting to make it enjoyable for me. I'm not saying there are no good VAs, off the top of my head, Yuri Lowenthal(Sosuke, Haseo) and Vic Mignogna (Edward Elric) are the only ones that can perform up to the standards set by Japanese Seiyuu, and i've yet to hear any good English female VAs, the best is Michelle Ruff and she's still a long way away from being to act out the emotions correctly
Old 2007-09-23, 23:02   Link #27
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruz1014 View Post
However, anime is Japanese, and watching anime dubbed can lessen the cultural flavor one gets from watching anime in its original language.

Yeah sometimes it helps to have dubs when OTHER nationalities/cultures are represented. If you watched black lagoon, you know how awkward that got near the end (you got a japanese man translating english for a russian woman who is..actually also speaking japanese all the time. Then you got revy telling a guy in bad engrish that she doesn't speak japanese, then goes on talking in japanese for 20 minutes :P). Also it is nice to have an american sound american, a jamaican sound jamaican/black man sounding black etc etc sometimes.

Last edited by DazarGaidin; 2007-09-24 at 18:45.
DazarGaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 01:41   Link #28
TheMP3000
You got to envy this guy.

Send a message via AIM to TheMP3000 Send a message via MSN to TheMP3000
Subs are watchable, but I prefer to stick the with dubs whenever possible.

If I have the option of a dub, I'll watch it. In which case, I'd hope it does.
If I have the option of just japanese plus subtitles, I'll watch it because I want to see the series irregardless.

For example, I'll buy Simoun, despite Media Blasters' sub-only release, but I'll put up with it because I want to see the series.
TheMP3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 04:02   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Meh.. I prefer most any cinema in the original language - live action or animated.
Das Boot, Stalingrad, Crouching Tiger, Shaolin Soccer, Bergman films, whatever.

However, my wife has astigmatism and often the idiots doing the typesetting use the most horrific fonts... so she ends up with a headaches so sometimes I grit my teeth and deal. Once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised but mostly I end up thinking *I* could read the script more naturally than whomever they're paying to do it.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 04:54   Link #30
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
Of course, I'm not American, so the American dubbing is often overly obnoxious. I've talked to a lot of American friends and they don't suffer quite the same problem since the accents aren't as noticeable to them. But talking to other Australians and some Euro friends, they understand my plight quite well.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm Australian as well, and whenever I listen to American dubs I find myself marveling at how jarring the voices sound (so many hard 'r's' and vowels). That said, I think any dub using cast with strong local accents would be just as jarring (eg. broad Australian accent = foul).

I watch subs mostly. Mainly because the japanese cast appears to have better acting chops. Maybe its the differences they have in recording (solo vs group) that makes the whole thing flow more easily.
And one by one back in the Closet lays.
--Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 11:41   Link #31
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

If it's a space western type of anime, I think dubs are better...Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun come to mind.

Other than that, subs.
Old 2007-09-25, 12:35   Link #32
Denton
D.U.C.K

Send a message via MSN to Denton Send a message via Skype™ to Denton
I prefer subbed, because I prefer to hear the original-voices (doesn't matter which language it is). But then I live in Sweden, and have watched shows with subs all my life, so I'm pretty used to it. It also is a great way to learn new languages. \o/

I watched Love Hina with english dubs though, simply because I found the voice for Keitaro and Kitsune more appealing.
Old 2007-09-26, 00:12   Link #33
shiro83

Some things may be translated erroneously in dubs/subs. With Japanese voices from the seiyuus (i.e. in subs), it is still possible to pick up the correct version. With dubs, this is not possible.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 07:30   Link #34
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
voted for the first option
id rather take the original period :3
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 17:33   Link #35
User65554
Disabled By Request

Well, as a rule I prefer to watch anime in english, but if the dub is awful, in voices, translation or whatever (or if I deem it to be so), or if it is simply unavalible, then I watch the original with english subtitles.
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 17:40   Link #36
hideFan

I normally watch the dub first... because when I watch subs first I tend to be like "EW THATS AWEFUL! D:" but I tend to like the added in jokes of dubs XD Im weird, I know.
Old 2007-09-26, 18:17   Link #37
Thrasher187
Spellcaster
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Thrasher187
I prefer subs, although I enjoy both just the same. What little japanese I know, I learned from watching subs. (^_-)
Thrasher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 12:09   Link #38
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Sub...I don't like the dubs...they're horrible...bad translations and everything...and most of the voices are like AHHH!..But soon, I won't need sub and I'll watch the raw...cuase I's be learing Japanese in schoo XD
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 18:52   Link #39
Omfgbbqwtf

Can't really stand dub at all. Although I did watch my first anime dubbed, but after discovering the awsomeness of subbing, I quit downloading dubbed anime. The original voices are just way better. I also get to learn a little bit of japanese watching subbed version. So far.. the porgress is going at a turtle speed, but.. better than nothing.
Omfgbbqwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-29, 04:31   Link #40
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Subs all the way..

Dubs are awful, Though i liked the Onegai Teacher dub!

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote