AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: English dubs or Japanese with subtitles?
Sub-snob. I don't listen to dubs. Period. They give me a headache. 74 32.46%
There are a few good dubs out there, but I really prefer subs. 93 40.79%
Subs, though I enjoy boh. 24 10.53%
I like them both about the same. 13 5.70%
Dubs, but I enjoy Japanese with subtitles too. 14 6.14%
Subs are watchable, but I prefer to stick the with dubs whenever possible. 9 3.95%
I like to listen to shows in a language I can understand. I can't stand subtitles. Dubs all the way. 1 0.44%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-09-29, 08:47   Link #41
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Yay subs are winning!
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-29, 11:39   Link #42
Jechtsphere
The Black Swordsman

Send a message via MSN to Jechtsphere
Dub is always better if it is a good dub but I don't mind subs at all.
Old 2007-10-01, 07:42   Link #43
SolarNova
Alone in the dark

There are a few good dubs out there, but I really prefer subs.

Iv only just started getting back in to anime the past month, before then i last watched anime when it was on scifi channel in the Uk .. thats years ago, then scifi stoped showing it and that was that...then a few good ones came out on toonami, the best and only dubed anime i would buy now would be OutlawStar everything else iv watched i would prefer to get in Jap language-eng sub.

Worst dub iv heard so far is Robotech remastered ..omg was that awfull ..i dl'ed the entire robotech remastered series ( about 20gb ) only to find that it was eng dub and was burning a hole through my head listening to it ..so i stoped watching it after about 10 episodes lol.

So yea in short
Eng Dub = no way
Eng Sub = Yes
SolarNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 13:15   Link #44
stardf29

I picked the second option. For some reason I can't entirely explain, dubs generally grate on my ears. Maybe it's because the Japanese language sounds more "Asian" to me (I'm Chinese and grew up listening to a lot of it, though having lived in America for most of my life, I can't speak a word of it myself), and thus sounds more "natural".

Though I do watch dubs, for a reason I shall explain by changing the second option a bit to better fit my opinion:

There are (at least) a few good things in (almost) every dub out there, but I really prefer subs.

Usually, at least something comes out well in a dub, and those are nice to find. There's probably even at least one show out there that has a good dub pretty much all the way through, though I've yet to see it myself.
stardf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 21:17   Link #45
pinkishgirl12

subs

preferably subs...
pinkishgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 21:22   Link #46
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

I'm a sub snob. I do admit there are watchable dubs, but I will NEVER choose a dub over a sub.
Old 2007-10-08, 22:37   Link #47
Sassarai
Army of One

Most american voice actors have no feelings . Except David Hayter in METAL GEAR SOLID!

oh I also like Silmeria's voice actor in Valkyrie profile 2
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 03:15   Link #48
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post
I'm a sub snob. I do admit there are watchable dubs, but I will NEVER choose a dub over a sub.
There were a few cases for me where I preferred the dub. Mostly stuff like Trigun and Last Exile that had such a western setting it seemed completely wrong for the characters to speak Japanese. i.e. "Whaaat? That guy's dressed up like a British WWI fighter pilot. Why is he speaking Japanese? I'm so confused!"

Other than that I prefer subs.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 03:17   Link #49
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
There were a few cases for me where I preferred the dub. Mostly stuff like Trigun and Last Exile that had such a western setting it seemed completely wrong for the characters to speak Japanese. i.e. "Whaaat? That guy's dressed up like a British WWI fighter pilot. Why is he speaking Japanese? I'm so confused!"

Trigun was more like Japanese people trapped in a cowboy world to me.
Old 2007-10-09, 13:55   Link #50
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Definately only subs for ME
Old 2007-10-09, 20:35   Link #51
~ Lawliet ~

I can't stand watching dubbed anime for whatever reason. Only subbed anime I watch.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 23:08   Link #52
Hammy
slice of life otaku

i originally couldnt stand subtitled anime (mainly because i miss whats going on since my eyes are looking at whats being said), but with Lucky Star ive pretty much gotten used to it (though i still prefer dubbed if it exists)
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 17:14   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post

Then you're probably going to blow a circuit if you see Sukiyaki Western: Django. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61ySyaJQSE for trailer)

Its a Japanese homage to the Spaghetti Westerns with Clint Eastwood, which themselves were homages to the old Samurai Edo tales of wandering ronin of a Lone Ranger Robin Hood vein.

Talk about a cultural feedback loop.... released in September in Tokyo - no idea when it'll hit DVD. The original actors all speak in Engrish with subtitles in japanese.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-10-18 at 17:39.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 18:38   Link #54
aldw

Generally don't mind either as long as it's well done and depending on story and presentation.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 19:24   Link #55
Shadowfox79
High5 attack: Lose 5555HP

Send a message via AIM to Shadowfox79
It really depends on the series and the crew of voice actors hired for the dubbing.

There are a bunch of talented voice actors now for anime and video games. However, back in the early 90's or before, there wasn't much of a budget for dubbing anime, so of course usually dubbing back then was less then spectacular.

However, with how more mainstream anime has become here, more people are actually buying dvds, hence more budget for quality voice actors. And keep in mind, with the rise of the popularity of anime, comes potential for more voice actors as it may rise some interests for anime-fanatics to become voice actors, or ppl who are quality voice actors now see the anime and video game dubbing as a successful environment for the career.

But back on the topic, ya, it really does depend on the show. There are shows that just plain suck at their dubbing, and others where I will actually prefer the dubbing over the subs (3 great examples are Cowboy Bebop, IGPX, and Ghost in the Shell : SAC)
Shadowfox79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 19:52   Link #56
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I don't mind subs, in fact I used to be a sub elitist way, way back, but lately most Japanese voice acting have left me underwhelmed whereas english voiceacting have done the opposite. Case in point, most ghibli films (most, as I haven't watched all of them yet), Ergo Proxy, Le Chevalier D'eon, GiTS:SAC, Full Metal Alchemist, Kino's Journey, etc. Not to say the subs for those series are awful, I just enoyed the dubbed voiceacting a lot more.

Also, I agree with the OP that a lot of people seem to be stuck on the whole "ALL DUBS SUXXXOR!1!" mantra when they haven't even given the newer dubbed series any chance. I'm not saying you can't dislike dubs, just that it makes my eyes bleed when people throw around overgeneralizations that all dubs suck when the only dubs they've watched are those from the '90s or some such. Times have changed, people!
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 20:08   Link #57
Shadowfox79
High5 attack: Lose 5555HP

Send a message via AIM to Shadowfox79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I don't mind subs, in fact I used to be a sub elitist way, way back, but lately most Japanese voice acting have left me underwhelmed whereas english voiceacting have done the opposite. Case in point, most ghibli films (most, as I haven't watched all of them yet), Ergo Proxy, Le Chevalier D'eon, GiTS:SAC, Full Metal Alchemist, Kino's Journey, etc. Not to say the subs for those series are awful, I just enoyed the dubbed voiceacting a lot more.

Also, I agree with the OP that a lot of people seem to be stuck on the whole "ALL DUBS SUXXXOR!1!" mantra when they haven't even given the newer dubbed series any chance. I'm not saying you can't dislike dubs, just that it makes my eyes bleed when people throw around overgeneralizations that all dubs suck when the only dubs they've watched are those from the '90s or some such. Times have changed, people!
I totally agree with you, times have changed. Its quite harsh to overgeneralize anime to having bad english dub because quite a few series years before had bad dubs. Like I said before, more quality voice actors have risen to take up the dubbing job, and for the most part, they succeed. At least succeed in that they're better than before, thats my point. If you dont like subs, well thats fine if you gave the dub a try.
Shadowfox79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 21:15   Link #58
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I always give the dub a try. I will say there are more dubs nowadays that don't make me want to jab icepicks in my ears -- but its still a rarer thing. The last few I've tried have been passable except that there's almost always one total casting fail.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 21:45   Link #59
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I always give the dub a try. I will say there are more dubs nowadays that don't make me want to jab icepicks in my ears -- but its still a rarer thing. The last few I've tried have been passable except that there's almost always one total casting fail.
Every now and then I'll give a dub a try. I usually regret it though. The last one I gave a try was AIR. I switched back 2 seconds after hearing Yukito and Misuzu.

The only decent dubs I've found are on series likely to get put on CN. Series that aren't likely to make it on don't seem to have the same effort put in to the dub.
Old 2010-12-29, 10:09   Link #60
Toddler Naruto
Playful Explorer

I prefer english dubs, but I will watch an anime english subbed if an english dub does not exist.

By the way, I pretend that all Animax-Asia dubs don't exist, since they are very terrible dubs.

Note: ElvenPath said it was okay for me to post in here.
Toddler Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote