AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Nanoha StrikerS character
Fate T. Harlaown 221 64.43%
Nanoha Takamachi 163 47.52%
Hayate Yagami 91 26.53%
Signum 100 29.15%
Vita 93 27.11%
Reinforce Zwei 76 22.16%
Lutecia Alpino 32 9.33%
Jail Scaglietti 18 5.25%
Erio Mondial 41 11.95%
Caro Ru Lushe 44 12.83%
Teana Lanster 85 24.78%
Subaru Nakajima 87 25.36%
Ginga Nakajima 53 15.45%
Vivio 84 24.49%
Other 46 13.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-17, 09:05   Link #101
GingaSubaru
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerranReaper View Post
Good point
Really? LOL, i dont think so
GingaSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 10:13   Link #102
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
I would support Jail if he had been a better villain, ie, smarter and less insane. Brainy evils are worth supporting.
Man, Jail was more like a bad atempt to imitate the Joker (and the Joker is an epic villan)

The thing who disgusted me about Jail, was the fact that he hasn't any backlog, motivations or story, the mad villan who only wants to destroy the world doesn't works on these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerranReaper View Post
Good point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingaSubaru View Post
Really? LOL, i dont think so
A sugestion guys, when you say things like those, try to explain your motives to backup your arguments
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 10:53   Link #103
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Though if the plotlines could be tweaked again, having Erio go against Lutecia/Zest during the hotel incident would kickstart the Lutecia/Erio/Caro angle earlier even if it means having Erio banged up badly against the powerhouses.
Oh nonono, nothing that long term

Simple moments in combat that really showcase his speed and lightning abilities that he's so credited for. Remember good old Rurouni Kenshin? Yeah stuff like that...

"You're fast Yeerk Garyuu, but I'm faster."
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 10:55   Link #104
TerranReaper
I am of the Blood Ravens
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: XB-0 Hresvelgr
Send a message via MSN to TerranReaper
Jail is just your typical villain and that psycho certainly has issues. but the main reason i resent him is because he is just too plain as you said. now will you excuse me, I'm gonna shoot jail again
TerranReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 11:42   Link #105
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerranReaper View Post
Jail is just your typical villain and that psycho certainly has issues. but the main reason i resent him is because he is just too plain as you said. now will you excuse me, I'm gonna shoot jail again
"Hand over Cartridge to TerranReaper"

Aim between the legs please
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 18:49   Link #106
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Man, Jail was more like a bad atempt to imitate the Joker (and the Joker is an epic villan)

The thing who disgusted me about Jail, was the fact that he hasn't any backlog, motivations or story, the mad villan who only wants to destroy the world doesn't works on these days
Actually they do give an explanation for him don't they? He was created by the TSAB leaders as a clone of a person who lived back when Al Hazard was around. They wanted him to go and make the artifical mages and combat cyborgs so that the TSAB could get a stronger military force. They branded him a villain so that the research could still be done without the TSAB getting in trouble for their breaking their own rules.

However, to make sure that he followed orders, they went and developed him with infinite ambition. They hoped this would keep him busy until he had an amazingly powerful force. However, his ambition became so great that he did not want to follow their rules any more and instead wished to create whole worlds for his research. He basically wanted his research to change the entire universe.

Since the TSAB was still the police force of the universe he searched for a way to get rid of them. He found the Cradle and then set forth his entire plan with making his own force of Combat Cyborgs, creating Vivio, awakening the Cradle, then CONQUER!!!

That is what I understood about Jail from the anime. Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that I have this basicallly correct.

Is that enough backstory?
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 01:42   Link #107
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
Actually they do give an explanation for him don't they? He was created by the TSAB leaders as a clone of a person who lived back when Al Hazard was around. They wanted him to go and make the artifical mages and combat cyborgs so that the TSAB could get a stronger military force. They branded him a villain so that the research could still be done without the TSAB getting in trouble for their breaking their own rules.

However, to make sure that he followed orders, they went and developed him with infinite ambition. They hoped this would keep him busy until he had an amazingly powerful force. However, his ambition became so great that he did not want to follow their rules any more and instead wished to create whole worlds for his research. He basically wanted his research to change the entire universe.

Since the TSAB was still the police force of the universe he searched for a way to get rid of them. He found the Cradle and then set forth his entire plan with making his own force of Combat Cyborgs, creating Vivio, awakening the Cradle, then CONQUER!!!

That is what I understood about Jail from the anime. Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that I have this basicallly correct.

Is that enough backstory?
Perhaps, I admit that you helped me to understeand StrikerS a lot with this explication (althoug I do not remember it from the anime, it was probably some of the many times I falled asleep watching it) you deserv some cookies for that

So, if Jail is a "clone" from some guy and these brains wanted him to create an army of Artificial mages, it means that 7arcs complicated themselves with the plot more than I espected

I mean, wouldn't be more easier to make the investigation on the artificial mages by themselves?! Do they really needed a "clone" to make the research? Plus, if these "brains" were so brillant, the idea of making a subordinate with "infinite ambition" doesn't sounds like a good idea, couldn't they just make him 100% loyal to them? And if the brains were the TSAB leaders, couldn't they use their influence to make the research without the police getting involved? You know? They could make a corrupted TSAB, mafia

But still, even with the things cleared, Jail still is far away of been a "decent antagonist" (personally I think that Quattro was better villan than him)

I still think that Jail is notting more than a poor try to imitate the phsyco villan The Joker
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 01:50   Link #108
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
I still think that Jail is notting more than a poor try to imitate the phsyco villan The Joker
Why the Joker ?

I don't recall any remote similiarities that would point to the Joker.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 02:02   Link #109
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Why the Joker ?

I don't recall any remote similiarities that would point to the Joker.
The fact of Jail tring to be phsyco, the long seasons of "Evil Laughs"

His intention to destroy everything with the Cradle, no matter that he could die also, his stupid crazy smile (in the Joker is not stupid, is evil XP) And they even look somehow similars in aspect

__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 02:38   Link #110
Tormenk
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gaf's Room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
The fact of Jail tring to be phsyco, the long seasons of "Evil Laughs"

His intention to destroy everything with the Cradle, no matter that he could die also, his stupid crazy smile (in the Joker is not stupid, is evil XP) And they even look somehow similars in aspect
I'm not sure about Jail trying to play psycho but he does laugh evilly sometimes. Which is quite common among villian characters.

First off, Jail's primary intention was to have a space where he could conduct his research freely. He tried that with the Cradle, whereby once it reaches orbit he could hold everyone on Mid-Childa hostage.

Disregarding the physical similarities (which I don't see much of), the two characters' motivations are completely different. Jail is a man of ambitions which is why we see him do so much ie Numbers, Relic weapons, artificial mage aka Vivio, making gadget drones, collecting Relics and then resurrecting the Saint King and the Cradle, at the same time implanting his insurances into the Numbers.

While I admit I do not know the Joker's history as well, if the Dark Knight was anything to go by to accurately portray a successful long-running villian like the Joker, he does not have "plans". The Joker doesn't care about money, he terrorizes the city for laugh and kicks with "social experiments", just to sow mass chaos and see how people react.

Compare to Jail who has so much more plans to future his own cause, I really don't see how the slightly-nutty scientist is in anyway an imitation to the purple clown.
__________________


"A life without change is akin to death."

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 02:51   Link #111
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
I'm not sure about Jail trying to play psycho but he does laugh evilly sometimes. Which is quite common among villian characters.

First off, Jail's primary intention was to have a space where he could conduct his research freely. He tried that with the Cradle, whereby once it reaches orbit he could hold everyone on Mid-Childa hostage.

Disregarding the physical similarities (which I don't see much of), the two characters' motivations are completely different. Jail is a man of ambitions which is why we see him do so much ie Numbers, Relic weapons, artificial mage aka Vivio, making gadget drones, collecting Relics and then resurrecting the Saint King and the Cradle, at the same time implanting his insurances into the Numbers.

While I admit I do not know the Joker's history as well, if the Dark Knight was anything to go by to accurately portray a successful long-running villian like the Joker, he does not have "plans". The Joker doesn't care about money, he terrorizes the city for laugh and kicks with "social experiments", just to sow mass chaos and see how people react.

Compare to Jail who has so much more plans to future his own cause, I really don't see how the slightly-nutty scientist is in anyway an imitation to the purple clown.
Well, I'm not very good remembering exactly details but In StrikerS I never senced the true intentions of Jail, never

Fist we have his gadgets and the numbers tring to get some lost logia, then we have Vivio, then the destruction of 6, then we have the Cradle, I was really confused, it seemed that Jail was just the usuall Phsyco cientist who wants to destroy the world

Now, yeah, probably I exagerated a bit comparing Jail with the Joker

You can't balem me, the Joker is my all time favourite villan

__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 02:08   Link #112
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
Well the joker is pretty freaking awesome. I believe he may indeed be the greatest villain ever.

He is like the embodiment of anarchy and chaos. Which makes him awesome.


Jail however actually did have goals and reasons for why he was doing stuff besides "Chaos is fun" Too bad they were not presented as well as they could have been. Stuff it in the barrel of other things that made the series not as good as it could have been.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 20:07   Link #113
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: City of Angels
K.... I haven't finished watching this series but so far I gotta say.... Reinforce Zwei IS just precious .... also Nanoha went wayyyy up in ranking (at least for me) when she blasted Teana Lanster during the first mock fight ....... gosh I loved that part..... I'll keep on watching and report back.... but so far Reinforce Zwei cuteness will be hard to top.... the only thing that would change my mind is if Nanoha becomes some sort of killer (very unlikely to happpen)....
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 23:48   Link #114
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atop a hill of words.
Nanoha never kills.

Nanoha only befriends.

(Just that it hurts a lot)

Remember that
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 19:28   Link #115
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: City of Angels
k.... so just finished watching Nanoha and gotta say..... I stand my ground on Zwei being one of my fave characters and I add Signum + Agito ..........and ..........Vivio + the 2 mamas (Nanoha and Fate) ..... that was just precious


Good anime but as always a bit shallow on the story dept .....
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 19:58   Link #116
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fate's futon ofc
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Fate..by like millions & billions of light years.
__________________



ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 07:49   Link #117
KimmyChan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
My favourite character is Nanoha Takamachi of those listed - She's great
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 13:16   Link #118
Yurichan
...
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via MSN to Yurichan
fate and nanoha~
Yurichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 02:46   Link #119
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
What I maen is that Nanoha has not darker aspects in her personality (only her idea of making friends) because since season 1 she appeared having a perfect live, sided by a perfect personality who really made her look quite unreal and hard to identify with.

In the other hand, Fate appeared showing really strong emotions in terms of her relation with her mother (If you analyse, this could be a similar case in many families) so, Fate looked more "human", more people could dentify with her so, she was more popular than Nanoha, and could steal the show from Nanoha if not for the so plane that she looked on StrikerS
Moved from the Q&A thread to avoid of topicness
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 03:47   Link #120
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
What I maen is that Nanoha has not darker aspects in her personality (only her idea of making friends) because since season 1 she appeared having a perfect live, sided by a perfect personality who really made her look quite unreal and hard to identify with.

In the other hand, Fate appeared showing really strong emotions in terms of her relation with her mother (If you analyse, this could be a similar case in many families) so, Fate looked more "human", more people could dentify with her so, she was more popular than Nanoha, and could steal the show from Nanoha if not for the so plane that she looked on StrikerS
I find it far more easy to identify myself with Nanoha, to be honest. Considering I pretty much have a perfectly happy life. If anything, Nanoha leading a normal life would make her far better to relate to then Fate's dark one, as I don't imagine many of the people watching Nanoha having been tortured by their parents.

But this has very little to do with personality. As I said, I know Fate has a darker background, but her personality is as saintly and flawless as Nanoha's. Examples in case: Forgiving her mother after a long period of torture, selflessly trying to take care of lonely children, and so on.

I personally think Fate's popularity has more to do with her being a shy-moe. Shy-moes tend to be very popular, and unlike most shy-moes, Fate is one that is also actually useful (unlike shy-moes like Miyazaki Nodoka, who only serves an occasional purpose, or Hyuuga Hinata, who hardly ever serves a purpose at all).

Shy-moe + kickass = Deadly Combination.

... Which, conversely, explains why unlike many I don't really like Fate that much. I'm not a fan of shy-moes. Never have been.
__________________

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-04-03 at 03:58.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.