AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

View Poll Results: Nanoha StrikerS - Overall series rating
Perfect 10 47 16.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 17.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 57 19.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 62 21.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 44 15.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 2.73%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 3.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.02%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.34%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.07%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-13, 19:04   Link #201
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
26 episodes is only a problem when you pace the series the way it is. Even in the Sound Stages, some of the filler scenes really drag out unnecessarily, even if they have the freedom of doing so since it's sound-only. To be fair, the pacing of StrikerS was not horrible, but it had no need to do the way it was done either. Repetitive foreshadowing, glossing tricks and structuring only works when you're dealing with a really large scale and a lot of intrigue, but StrikerS doesn't even scratch that in terms of plot and world-building. For one, did we even need the scene where they explained the history of how Jail got the Cradle and the prophecy discussions? The former barely shed anything to add to the depth of the conflict other than 'lol Belka' and the latter just piled 30 tons of bricks called 'horrible leadership and nepotism' on Hayate.
I personally don't think the whole prophecy thing was that bad. Frankly, the way they set up the series it was necessary. Without the prophecy behind them Riot Force 6 would have never been created. There would have been no real need for that division and they would not have had any idea that anything bad was going to happen. Without knowledge of the future nobody would ever have allowed Hayate to bring together her monster friends all in one division.

Heck. The only reason they ever realized that Jail was the villain was because he left a freaking calling card. For all the government knew, Jail was still perfectly loyal.

The brains I still hate and the whole finding the cradle really doesn't use that much screen time so I really don't care.

So much more they could have done though with proper organization.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 20:06   Link #202
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivio Testarossa View Post
Sure, yuri isn't the "selling theme" of Nanoha, unlike Mariamite, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist as you say...

In season 1, Nanoha wants to save Fate no mater what (even when others would of abandoned Fate)

Nanoha goes on about how beautiful Fate's eyes and hair are...

They both blush in each other's presence...

Therefore, NanoFate exists!
So, the fact of Having Sam tring to protect Frodo at all cost, means that there is Yaoi in The Lord of the Rings? XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
I personally don't think the whole prophecy thing was that bad. Frankly, the way they set up the series it was necessary. Without the prophecy behind them Riot Force 6 would have never been created. There would have been no real need for that division and they would not have had any idea that anything bad was going to happen. Without knowledge of the future nobody would ever have allowed Hayate to bring together her monster friends all in one division.

Heck. The only reason they ever realized that Jail was the villain was because he left a freaking calling card. For all the government knew, Jail was still perfectly loyal.

The brains I still hate and the whole finding the cradle really doesn't use that much screen time so I really don't care.

So much more they could have done though with proper organization.
I agree with the point of the Brains, I was forced to check in Wikipedia before seing StrikerS to understood what the Hell the brains were, and even now I'm a bit confused

They were the "heads" of the TSAB? Because I didn't sence any point of Duo (another wasted character) killing them
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 20:14   Link #203
BPHaru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
So, the fact of Having Sam tring to protect Frodo at all cost, means that there is Yaoi in The Lord of the Rings? XP
You picked a bad example ^^U
Go to Google Images, search for "frodo sam", look at the first page... and run.

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
BPHaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 20:18   Link #204
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
You picked a bad example ^^U
Go to Google Images, search for "frodo sam", look at the first page... and run.

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
I mean that if any points to a yaoi relation on the book only by having Sam protecting Frodo, no fanarts
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 20:31   Link #205
BPHaru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
I mean that if any points to a yaoi relation on the book only by having Sam protecting Frodo, no fanarts
Personally I don't see any intentionality of the author to imply that, but since it seems like there is a fanbase of them, probably they could point to you every little detail that can make you think otherwise, maybe without so much effort considering that is easy to turn that friendship and dedication for a goal into something else in my opinion. Therefore if such ambiguity were to exist, then I think they are free to call it yaoi or whatever they want, but personally I don't see it.

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
BPHaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 23:49   Link #206
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
Nanohaverse pairings of any kind have an adjective list that reads:

Tenuous;
Associated, not Causal;
Ergo vis, non quid es;
Joining dots on a really faded Sunday Times paper;

...and goes on. And yet research suggests that shipfits exhibit a significant increase the burden of morbidities in the otaku population. So go through all that, and only kill yourself?

Do your heart a favor. Stop shipping.

*Authorized by the Cadian Health Department, Asuki*
__________________
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 02:49   Link #207
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
I personally don't think the whole prophecy thing was that bad. Frankly, the way they set up the series it was necessary. Without the prophecy behind them Riot Force 6 would have never been created. There would have been no real need for that division and they would not have had any idea that anything bad was going to happen. Without knowledge of the future nobody would ever have allowed Hayate to bring together her monster friends all in one division.
The prophecy was, however, badly managed. All it really served to do was give RF6 a reason to exist and let us know that the TSAB knew they were going to get attacked.

The former wasn't really needed, prior to the prophecy we already had a reason for RF6's existence: Hayate wanted a unit designed specifically to stop Lost Logia and prevent situations like the Jewel Seed and Yami no Sho from occurring.

The later they could have done without, and would have improved the story. If the TSAB didn't have a warning that the Bureau would be attacked, then the attack on the Headquarters would have been a complete surprise attack, making the Bureau as a whole look far less incompetent for having such a shoddy defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
Heck. The only reason they ever realized that Jail was the villain was because he left a freaking calling card. For all the government knew, Jail was still perfectly loyal.
Not exactly, Jail was already a known dimensional criminal long before StrikerS.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:05   Link #208
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Not exactly, Jail was already a known dimensional criminal long before StrikerS.

In fact, I think he assisted Precia somehow, don't?
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:18   Link #209
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
They had a mutual relationship, Precia wanted to clone Alicia, Jail had the technology to clone her, but not to copy her memories. Precia discovered the technique for memory cloning, which created Fate. Jail then perfected Precia's discoveries himself to 'revive' Zest and create his back-up selves.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:37   Link #210
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The former wasn't really needed, prior to the prophecy we already had a reason for RF6's existence: Hayate wanted a unit designed specifically to stop Lost Logia and prevent situations like the Jewel Seed and Yami no Sho from occurring.
It's obviously just a story-device for RF6 to disband after Jail is defeated. The moment they revealed RF6 had a different purpose other what she told Nanoha and Fate, it was obvious that episode 26 = RF6 disbands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The later they could have done without, and would have improved the story. If the TSAB didn't have a warning that the Bureau would be attacked, then the attack on the Headquarters would have been a complete surprise attack, making the Bureau as a whole look far less incompetent for having such a shoddy defense.
It's not so much a warning, but Jail attacking the HQ was indeed unexpected by Regius because they were in-cahoots. If anything, it made Hayate and co. look FAR more incompetent because they were expecting the unknown long for a long time, even something that they were aware that they might have to be the first line of defense until the Navy is forced to intervene and had their preparations in accordance to the general rules that applied to the events they were guarding and yet they still failed, horribly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
They had a mutual relationship, Precia wanted to clone Alicia, Jail had the technology to clone her, but not to copy her memories. Precia discovered the technique for memory cloning, which created Fate. Jail then perfected Precia's discoveries himself to 'revive' Zest and create his back-up selves.
I don't think so. From what it's said, Precia was the one who took Jail's concepts and research papers on Project F-memory copying and adapted it to Alicia's cloning of Fate.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:49   Link #211
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
The former barely shed anything to add to the depth of the conflict other than 'lol Belka' and the latter just piled 30 tons of bricks called 'horrible leadership and nepotism' on Hayate.
I feel a pressing need to point out that the TSAB doesn't give two shits about nepotism or otherwise doesn't consider it to be overly detrimental. Even Regius, supposedly the most capable bureaucrat and most "realistic" military schmuck in the TSAB--on top of being obsessed with law and order--employs his own daughter as an aide.
__________________

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:59   Link #212
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
But to resume

Jail and Precia never worked together, right?
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 13:08   Link #213
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It's obviously just a story-device for RF6 to disband after Jail is defeated. The moment they revealed RF6 had a different purpose other what she told Nanoha and Fate, it was obvious that episode 26 = RF6 disbands.
Could have been done so much better though. The prophecy was hardly needed for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It's not so much a warning, but Jail attacking the HQ was indeed unexpected by Regius because they were in-cahoots. If anything, it made Hayate and co. look FAR more incompetent because they were expecting the unknown long for a long time, even something that they were aware that they might have to be the first line of defense until the Navy is forced to intervene and had their preparations in accordance to the general rules that applied to the events they were guarding and yet they still failed, horribly.
Storyline wise, it makes sense in the greater picture, but at that moment it didn't make much sense considering we weren't aware of their cahoots. This could have been solved with a scene explaining just why they were so surprised by the attack, though that would mean revealing several more plot bunnies as well as taking up more unneeded screentime. Not having a warning solves both issue: Regius is still surprised because of cahoots, Hayate & Co. look less like idiots for being caught unaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I don't think so. From what it's said, Precia was the one who took Jail's concepts and research papers on Project F-memory copying and adapted it to Alicia's cloning of Fate.
Jail specifically notes that Precia perfected the technique, and that Fate was the first product of the memory-transfer clone technique though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
But to resume

Jail and Precia never worked together, right?
Actively? No. They merely used each others work.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 18:53   Link #214
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
We may have been given the reason, Hayate always wanted to have her own division, but do you really think that anyone in the government really would have given a care about what she just happened to want? Of course not. While nepotism may have been allowed such as Regius' daughter, RF6 was a completely different thing.

RF6 was putting together a force that probably could have done tons of damage to the TSAB on their own if they had wanted. They needed a real reason to allow it to be created. And again, besides knowledge of the future, it wasn't going to happen.

As for the warning about the attack on HQ, it was used so that everyone would focus on HQ and forget that RF6 was being left almost completely unprotected. That would then lead to the whole scene with Caro summoning Voltaire and Vice's crappy flashback, and the injuring of Zafira and Shamal who would eventually show up to help save the day against Otto.

If you have any other suggestion besides knowledge of the future that would make the TSAB put together such a dangerous group I would love to hear them. I do agree that it was not done very well, but I just don't see another solution.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 14:37   Link #215
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
I agree with the point of the Brains, I was forced to check in Wikipedia before seing StrikerS to understood what the Hell the brains were, and even now I'm a bit confused

They were the "heads" of the TSAB? Because I didn't sence any point of Duo (another wasted character) killing them
The brains were the "heads" of the TSAB?

...

I never even figured that out. I just always thought they were there.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 14:40   Link #216
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tokyo 3, Japan
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
The brains were the "heads" of the TSAB?

...

I never even figured that out. I just always thought they were there.
The brains-in-tubes were not 'officially' in charge of the TSAB. Rather they were a secret group who watched from the shadows and used their connections to manipulate certain events to fulfill their own ideals. Think of them like SEELE from Evangelion.
__________________
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 00:15   Link #217
ZeroIchiNi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
The brains-in-tubes were not 'officially' in charge of the TSAB. Rather they were a secret group who watched from the shadows and used their connections to manipulate certain events to fulfill their own ideals. Think of them like SEELE from Evangelion.
When they showed up I was beginning to think that the show would pull the "Let's make everyone think the same" evil plan.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 18:55   Link #218
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
The brains-in-tubes were not 'officially' in charge of the TSAB. Rather they were a secret group who watched from the shadows and used their connections to manipulate certain events to fulfill their own ideals. Think of them like SEELE from Evangelion.
No I think they actually were the head of the TSAB. They were the High Council. All of top executives had to report to them. They may not have had 100% control but they still dictated almost everything that went on within their jurisdiction. I think they may also have been like the founders of the TSAB itself. So would't they have a lot of power?

Just what I inferred form the few useless scenes they were in.

Could have been done so much better though. And why brains? So it is less of a shock when Due kills them? It is more creepy seeing brains in tubes get killed then old people get killed. And again, why were they necessary?!!?!?!
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 19:21   Link #219
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tokyo 3, Japan
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
No I think they actually were the head of the TSAB. They were the High Council. All of top executives had to report to them. They may not have had 100% control but they still dictated almost everything that went on within their jurisdiction. I think they may also have been like the founders of the TSAB itself. So would't they have a lot of power?
The only one we see reporting to them is Regius since he is involved in the Scagletti conspiracy to import combat cyborgs into the TSAB. Of course this is done is the very ominous manner of darkened room with screens representing each of the High Council members with "Sound Only" on each. If they were a genuine ruling council to the TSAB, they wouldn't need for the secrecy nor such a sneaky means to accomplish their goals. Plus the only person who knew of their location was their assistance who maintained their machinery.

A council does govern the TSAB, which is the same one that gathered at Ground Force's HQ for the meeting right before the attack by Jail and his forces. That council consisted of the 3 legendary admirals and heads of each TSAB section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
Could have been done so much better though. And why brains? So it is less of a shock when Due kills them? It is more creepy seeing brains in tubes get killed then old people get killed. And again, why were they necessary?!!?!?!
The 'brains' as you refer to them were a means to develop the plot of bringing in combat cyborgs into the TSAB. Originally outlawed due to how they are 'produced,' Regius wanted to bring them into Ground Forces due to his beliefs that GF get shafted so to speak with all the Aces and powerful mages being deployed in other divisions. Thus they were the ones backing Regius and using him as their puppet of sorts to bring both of their goals to fruit. Not to mention they were over a century old which would explain the brain in jar look. The human body can only survive for so long and it was probably easier for them to stay alive with machines supporting their brains rather than their entire bodies. Plus it would have less of a trail to lead back to them with no need for food or other needs other than power and maintainable (which only their aid was able to do). Again I refer you to SEELE from Evangelion. Though they weren't brains but wrinkly old men who become a refreshing beverage. Yummy
__________________
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 22:41   Link #220
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
Hell, early in the anime, the brains were using silhouette avatars of wrinkly old men waiting to be turned into a yummy beverage from the NASA space program.
__________________
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.