AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

View Poll Results: Nanoha StrikerS - Overall series rating
Perfect 10 47 16.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 17.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 57 19.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 62 21.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 44 15.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 2.73%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 3.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.02%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.34%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.07%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-26, 17:08   Link #121
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Heh, wow... after marathoning all three series in about a week, I was left pretty impressed with all of them. Wandering into this thread of negativity has been a bit jarring.

Taken for what it was, I thought StrikerS was darn good. It seems most of the hate seems to be for StrikerS failing to conform to fans' expectations.
The training section was 90% character development, but it's understandable if someone missed all that. The only characters I really felt shorted on were Caro, Zest, Lutecia and Etna Agito. Vivio... I'm not sure if I'd call her wasted potential or underdeveloped, as she didn't seem to have much of a character to develop for most of the series. Towards the end we see her beginning to develop a personality, but her emotional state is borderline infantile from the start. Most people wouldn't complain about lack of character development for an infant . Considering the amount of new characters introduced and the obligation to give older characters plenty of time as well, I thought they did a good job balancing it. Except for Arf. Not sure what happened there. I can understand people being upset about certain characters falling to the wayside, but honestly, how much contact is a person training recruits in a new ground unit going to have with an admiral, or a librarian, or a ship's captain off in dimensional space? I really doubt they'd call each other up to say hello on a regular basis, and if they did it doesn't need to be shown because it would be bad directing to give extra screentime to characters from the first two seasons when you have a dozen new ones who need developing. Nanoha having no contact with Earth was a little strange, but I'd be willing to believe that communicating with "non-administered world 97" would be somewhat more involved that dialing a telephone.
The battle scenes were a bit less inspired than those of the previous seasons (or are we just getting used to magical combat?), but I'm really much less about the action than characters or story. I'm pretty indifferent to who got to use what limit break and send a big wave of scary light and whom, although it is neat to watch, and I can't be brought to care about a character's fight unless I'm made to care about that character anyway. So, I'll take characterization over shiny battles if I have to pick. What I do enjoy is when a character's personality comes through in battle - like Nanoha taking out Quattro by blowing the ever-loving crap out of her through the bulkheads; that was priceless - and StrikerS had plenty of this.
I enjoyed the more complex plot (political intrigure in my mahou shoujo?) and appreciated that it wasn't just a straight line from start to finish. It was pretty much the same save-the-world-from-the-big-bad thing that happened the last two seasons, but that's okay. Nothing ground-breaking, but a well executed example of a classic formula that serves its purpose.

tl;dr: I think people are too concerned with a few specific things they wanted/expected out of StrikerS. Taken as it is, rather than how you thought it would be, it's a darn good show and continues the story in a sensible direction - soldiers eventually become trainers eventually become officers eventually become commanders eventually get a desk job. Obviously, with a more background position comes less focus, and to go against that sensibility would mean the franchise has really dropped the ball in what drew me to it in the first place: not pandering to fans if it means sacrificing overall quality.
Old 2008-04-26, 23:20   Link #122
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Hard time making heads or tails with this series. On the one hand, we get likable new characters, on the other hand, the developments within the series came off as sort of... bland.

Kind of blurred the line of being a "magical girl" series, and what put me off the most was the poorly implemented LOL, POLITICS bits. Perhaps the only thing "magical girl" was the genuinely evil antagonist this time around. Numbers were put in a little too late, and the training bugged me the most. Training could have been brief sessions, and they could have broadened the scope of their missions/objectives. I expected them running through the crowded streets chasing down perps, or busting some Mid-Childen mob boss's drug ring along the way. Music was just bad, bleh, and the use of colours. THE COLOURS. UGH.

HOWEVER, having the four forwards in the forefront of events with the aces sort of made it worthwhile. Although the terribly broken A+/S/S+/what have you had their own struggles, it was nice seeing the lesser end of the power spectrum deal with crises using their own wit and abilities. Subaru might not me rape incarnate like Nanoha, but she still has beam-spam in her arsenal. Well, her IS thingy aside. Tea as the strategist, Caro as support, Elio as midranged, etc. we had them, for the most part, working as a team to make up for being UNDER 9000. What was also nice were the little history tidbits, giving some relevance to the existence of the Saint Church doohicky, Agito as Signum's unison device, and cute uniforms. Also, it was at least interesting near the end of the series - the last third of it D: . Ending was satisfying.

Overall, fit in with my expectations. I tried to ignore the hype when S3 of Nanoha was confirmed after A's, and left them at "I'll be getting something new for the Nanoha series", as opposed to just "getting something new". With narrowed expectations, I'd give it AT MOST an 8/10. Not as polished as A's, took some time to kick in, but it was entertaining for 26 episodes. Also, lol "Massive Wonders", amirite?
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 00:05   Link #123
Kikaifan
Blazing General

All in all I liked StrikerS pretty well. I'm just too big of a fanboy for the characters not to enjoy the chance to watch them on further adventures. I liked Subaru a lot as the sub-main-character, and for all his one-dimensionality I enjoyed Scaglietti's character. The man made some funny faces.

In terms of animation I can't say I was too pleased. While the Subaru 'zerk and Nanoha-Vivio showdown looked pretty good, a lot of it was just crap. Hotel Augusta comes to mind.

Voices were good. I teared up for Nanoha and Vivio in 25. I don't care if you think I'm an easily-manipulated sap, go ahead and laugh.

Writing I have some issues with. I don't care about the military minutia too much (as I've said before in my mind they're all basically police anyway) but I think the season suffered from way too many subplots. For comparison, A's had none. There's the Book of Darkness, the main characters/TSA fighting the Wolkenritter as each attempts to direct its supposedly immutable fate against all odds, and that's it. StrikerS had a ton. This isn't all bad, since you're not going to be able to give every character significant personal investment in the main plot, but many of these- Zest's conflict with Regius, Scaglietti's interest in Fate and Erio, Signum's relationship with Agito, Vice's trauma over his sister, Lutecia wanting her mom's relic, anything involving Gin- were set up early but went through through minimal development and were usually resolved in one shot.

I think a lot of these could have been pruned away. Some have to be there- the forwards needed some real development as main characters, and Lutecia needed a sympathetic motive to play a proper dark magical girl to Caro and Erio, for example- but many were superfluous. Zest and Agito needed either more plot relevance or less, they felt too shoehorned in. Vice didn't particularly need a dramatic backstory and trauma to overcome. Subaru's showdown with Gin wasn't particularly more interesting than a showdown with any of the Numbers would have been. Schach was totally irrelevant.

Part of the problem is that the subplots are basically parceled out to individual characters, which doesn't leave much room for real development. A few larger subplots might have worked better. A subplot with the Church could have given Hayate, all of the Wolkenritter, and all the new Church-affiliated characters something to do instead of just tossing them people to fight at the very end. Making F a bigger deal would have had the same effect for Fate, Erio, and potentially Caro and Signum. A more developed subplot involving Scaglietti's origins with the TSA could likewise have fleshed out Zest's involvement, given Chrono and maybe even the Lotte twins something to do, and drawn in the Nakajimas.

A larger structural criticism of the plot is simply that Scaglietti should have been more active as a villain in the first half. Giving him sensible secondary goals beyond securing Vivio for the run-up to the Cradle operation and having him work towards them, come into contact with RF6, and sometimes succeed and sometimes fail would have done a lot to dispel the sense that the newb-training and Numbers/Cradle plots are essentially disconnected with one tacked on to the other.

Well, I guess that turned more into my hindsight-enabled suggestions. But like I said, I enjoyed the thing. Nanoha-Vivio plot was still good in my eyes, and the gang was all back for another round, which, for better or for worse, was what it was really all about.
Old 2008-05-05, 14:04   Link #124
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Thinking back to when I watched it (which was very long ago) I do think that the problem with this series all comes down to the shabby writing. The characters aren't bad but the really bad thing is that none of them were really explored enough and given much depth (I mean, Caro and Erio didn't develop at all throughout the series...what I saw from the start was what I got in the end). If the series had spent more time on development and less time on pointless events. But then again I think timing was also an issue here. Perhaps 26 episodes just wasn't enough to go through everything which is why it suffered so much. Imo this series could have gone on for at least another 13 eps which would have also made it much more entertaining (with more fights and such). The animation was horrible at times though...the lack of funds isn't good at all.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 18:25   Link #125
Bloodseeker

26 episodes was MORE than enough time.

There wasn't enough time for everyone to get their own little mini-arc like what Tia had (she was plenty developed; Subaru was plenty developed as well; also, Nanoha felt more developed and all around more likable here than in the first two seasons), but if they had skipped all of the pointless training (which didn't accomplish what training episodes in anime should accomplish) and lame foreshadowing and spent those 6 or 7 episodes where nothing memorable happened jumping headfirst into the story and giving the cast proper development, everyone of any importance (even the individual Numbers) would have had at least enough focus for us to get to know them well and to satisfy their fans.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2008-05-05 at 18:36.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 20:49   Link #126
Blue-Phoenix
Wanna be fiddle star

Send a message via AIM to Blue-Phoenix
Having stumbled upon StrikerS first I have to say my view of things is WAY different. To be honest the whole expanded 26 episode plot is always going to have plot holes and lack as much punch because the viewer has time to make solid predictions. Unlike the 13 episode plot that goes BAM! in you face because it has to.

It is hard to compare StrikerS to the first two seasons because of that.

So with a different mind set I have to say that I felt that StrikerS was really awesome. Of course some of our favorite carry-on characters were going to get shafted, this is mainly about a new generation of Mages stepping up to the challenge. Erio and Caro may not be well developed but thier role was, which I believe was the point. Tea and Subaru were made into solid characters, and this was a huge introduction to real world of magic.

A lot of the fuss is about unrelated sub-plots, but really how often does everything a whole cast of characters do become interlocking? Really the first two seasons were unrealistic about how intertwined destinys are, creating a narrow one track story. Perhaps that is what some people like, but I still enjoyed getting to see and learn about all the different worlds and people out there.

Not only that but what is wrong with having an exposition? That is good writing form.... the other seaons throw you head on into the story like an on-coming bus creating an exciting atmosphere, and a confusing one which is another reason as to why StrikerS may have seemed more boring. StrikerS is simply fundamentally different than A's and the first season.

Nyhaha, so with that said I have to give it a 10/10.
Old 2008-07-31, 08:44   Link #127
Petco

I was rewatching some episodes from Season 1 and 2 recently.

Even though I watched the episodes dozens of dozens of times already, it got me hooked again after I watched an episode for a few minutes.

Well, I am mainly rewatching season 2 right now(rewatched the last episode of season 1 though), watched the first 4 episodes again(and also episode 10).

I enjoyed Season 3 but after rewatching Season 1 and 2, there were somethings about the first 2 seasons that season 3 doesn't have:

Plot - Well, Season 1 had sort of a focus on the (developing) friendship between Nanoha and Fate. Season 2 had friendship also(befriending the Knights, etc).

Rewatching the episodes again, the focus on friendship is actually something that I really enjoyed about the first 2 seasons.

Season 3, well, it had Erio/Caro trying to befriend Lutecia. That plot was kind of underdeveloped or sort of rushed or tacked on, not sure the right word for it. I mean, all season long, there was nothing going on with Erio/Caro and Lutecia except for those 2 episodes(was it episode 24 or 23?).

StrikerS could have used more "befriending". Nanoha was kind of lacking in the befriending department in StrikerS, well, she didn't have much of anyone to befriend.

Well, there was Quattro(even though she was mean and insensitive, she could so be befriended by Nanoha).

Although StrikerS' plot wasn't set up for "befriending" like season 1 and 2 but they could have easily made it that way.

Instead of Nanoha befriending, we get, Nanoha being mothering(Vivio). I didn't really like that plot. Nanoha is 9, now she's suddenly 19, now a mother? I mean, I'm fine with 19yo Nanoha but she's growing up too fast.

Anyway, instead of Vivio being Nanoha's adopted daughter, I would have preferred if they made Vivio into some 19 year old girl, villain, which Nanoha has to befriend.

For example, Vivio could be instead changed to be part of the Numbers.

Well, I just don't like the idea of Nanoha being 9 in one season, then the next season, already 19 years old and a mother as well.

Speaking of numbers, Nanoha should also befriend the older numbers that stuck with Scaglietti and went to jail instead of joining Nanoha's side. Also to Due being killed off instead of befriended. Poor Due. Also, Hayate should have gotten a fight scene.

Also, I like 9yo(year old) Nanoha better than 19yo Nanoha(see below for reason).

Well, to recap: Nanoha should have been more befriendy in Season 3.

I enjoyed Season 3 but after rewatching (some of) Season 1 and 2 recently, it made me realize how much I miss 9 year old Nanoha and how much more befriendy 9yo Nanoha is compared to 19yo Nanoha.

Well, to simply put it short(and in conclusion): One of the things that I didn't like was the lack of "befriending" in Season 3. Yes, I actually wanted Nanoha to try to befriend Quattro.

This is actually why I dislike older Nanoha, she just doesn't seem to care about befriending as much as young Nanoha. Young Nanoha, she practically befriends anything in sight. She zooms on anything that can befriended, BAM, BEFRIENDING TIME.

Anyway, I am not sure anyone felt there was a lack of needed befriending in Season 3(Caro/Erio + Lutecia = too short, the sidestory felt a little "tacked" on if that's the right word for it).

Last edited by Petco; 2008-08-03 at 04:58.
Petco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 00:53   Link #128
yumichan808
tra la la la la~

wow, these reviews are soo long. but i just think that strikerS is probably one of the best season of the three. iono, i like nanoha, and i was kinda expecting more of nanoha, but it seemed to concentrate on the other four...
yumichan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 10:12   Link #129
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumichan808 View Post
wow, these reviews are soo long. but i just think that strikerS is probably one of the best season of the three. iono, i like nanoha, and i was kinda expecting more of nanoha, but it seemed to concentrate on the other four...
That was the main problem
Old 2008-09-26, 11:03   Link #130
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*chuckle* Other two really. Erio and Caro hardly got any screentime worth noting, the only of the four that got propper character growth were Teana and Subaru.
Old 2008-09-27, 01:44   Link #131
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Nyaa... I didn't liked Subaru, Tiana either, from the new characters on StrikerS, the only one that I really liked was Vivio
Old 2008-09-29, 01:25   Link #132
9taileddemon

I personally enjoyed Strikers quite a bit. I agree it wasn't A's quality but that would be asking a lot. So here we go!

Pros:

-I liked the four starters. I liked their character traits and quirks. Especially liked them after reading about the sound stages and reading the manga.
-Caro/Erio FTW
-Lots of robots to explode.
-Nanoha going white devil on Teana. Such an awesome scene.
-Nanoha going white devil on Quattro!!!!
-Quattro feebly trying to escape the giant Divine Buster.
-Reinforce was so cute. The unisons were also good.
-Jail. I just liked the guy. He was such a creepy power hungry maniac. Rather refreshing actually. I mean all the rest of the "bad guys" previously just were taking there love to extremes. Precia. Fate. Hayate's knights. Reinforce.
Jail though actually was much more evil type. However I did not dislike him for that mostly because he was created that way. Quattro though can go to hell.
-The numbers were pretty interesting the second time around after I started figuring out who the hell each one was.
-The Subaru/Tea character growth was well done in my opinion.
-Nanoha still rocks and destroys alll in her way.
-Vivio was so cute and the final battle against her was not too shabby.
-Vita at the end seemed so cool.

-The sound stages rock.

The Bad
-Lutecia. Nearly no development besides, "I want relic 11." Also the battle scene with her felt dull. I really wanted Voltaire and her giant bug to get into a huge mass destruction battle. Instead we are treated to them staring at each other for awhile.
-Hayate. How dare you give my favorite character so action!!!!!! And not even a transformation sequence. WTF! She did like nothing the entire season. I mean there were a lot of character that did not get much action. But she is one of the main 3 and got a lot of screen time. She just was not allowed to do anything.
-Too much stuff about the TSAB and its internal problems. The whole thing with the high council could have been removed and nothing would be changed. The Zest/Ground troops leader thing was well done but the rest was kind of useless.
-Limiters. Wasted screentime explaining about them and it made it so Hayate was rendered useless.
-The lack of Caro/Erio growth. Now there was a lot in the sound stages but not so much in the anime. They could have removed the above things and added more development for them.
-Cinque. Cinque is my favorite of the numbers. Strong. Kind. Cute. And only was around for like 2 episodes. ... ARGH!!!!!!!
-Chrono, Yunno, Arf. I understand why they were pushed aside but I still would have liked them to be in it a little bit.
-Vice's past and getting over his mistake. I don't care. I like Vice but your past does not interest me. Just stick to flying the helicopter.

Scenes that should have been included:

-Fate finding out about Nanoha Starlight Breakering Vivio. She would have gotten so pissed.
-More Caro/Erio
-Scene with Quattro in jail in a straight jacket murmering to herself about the pink light. :-)

There are a couple more but I can't think of it. I will edit this later when I remember.

Overall a little pruning to the story would have made it much better. The training really did not bother me at all so that alone makes me happier then most viewers. I am sure they will do better if they make a 4th season.

The good way out weighed the bad so 8.5/10
9/10 when I add in manga and sound stages.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 21:23   Link #133
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Well I didn't like this season compare to the other two.

I first watch this season first when it aired w/o knowing that it was a sequel. I dropped it after the first episode.

then later on I heard that the the two series before it was pretty good so I checked it out and I loved it.

So after that I go back into watching this season, but I keep on waiting for it to get good and it never did.

Sure there are some cool moments such as Mock battle ep.8 and the Berserk Subaru.

But most of the time I'm expecting something and it never happened and that there are times that I wonder why bother showing stuff...

example:
- I was waiting for Subaru to use her IS on a fight after she when berserk. especially during her fight with her sister when she was losing.
-The 3 "brains" that that runs TSAB... I was like WTF when they show this. I mean I would think they would have use the FATE project to created clones of themselves to control TSAB from behind the scenes instead of putting their brains inside of a jar unprotected so that they can be killed off almost as soon as they are introduce.
-The whole prophecy thing drags out too long. how much effort does it take to tell someone "I think TSAB HQ will get attack in the near future"
-Yuuno showing up for a little bit in the earlier episode just to say "Nanoha/Yuuno still exist" and then rarely heard from again. (They could have have an episode in which he take care of Vivio for a day or something)

Wow the more that I think about it the more I find stuff that bothers me.

One last thing: I really don't like how Vivio's eyes are in different colors. If they don't have a reason(ie. Seeing ghost, sharangon, shooting laser beam, ect.), they really shouldn't make it like that. It was cool at first in Final Fantasy X, but now it's just annoying.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 22:24   Link #134
9taileddemon

I wonder if the whole 3 brains in jar thing was an homage to Cyborg 009. I mean the whole thing was completely pointless but if it was an homage then I guess that makes it okay. Still think they wasted time on it.
Old 2008-10-08, 01:37   Link #135
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

here lies the flaw in StrikerS. They had a lot of ideas to go on, but I guess they were dragging the story so far along that by the time the later episodes were made they just couldn't find enough screentime to conclude/work on them.
Old 2008-10-08, 10:44   Link #136
Jimmy C

I got that feeling too. I get it rather often with Asian productions, not just anime.
I've experienced it myself during my school years. In exams they asked, "write an essay/story of n words on this topic/title" I take my time to set things up so that I have enough words to meet the quota. Then, I realise I only have a quarter of the time left and I'm only 1/3 through my projected progress, rush and finish. NOT the way to manage any kind of production in your working life.
The chinese have a saying for this kind of results, "tiger's head, snake's tail"
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:48   Link #137
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I got that feeling too. I get it rather often with Asian productions, not just anime.
I've experienced it myself during my school years. In exams they asked, "write an essay/story of n words on this topic/title" I take my time to set things up so that I have enough words to meet the quota. Then, I realise I only have a quarter of the time left and I'm only 1/3 through my projected progress, rush and finish. NOT the way to manage any kind of production in your working life.
The chinese have a saying for this kind of results, "tiger's head, snake's tail"
You just reminded me of my cursed essay.
Old 2008-10-08, 22:56   Link #138
9taileddemon

Don't know what the reason was for some of the lack of idea development. All I really know is that it was annoying.

Sigh.

I think the entire series would have been made better by taking some of the stuff from the sound stages and putting it into anime and cutting down on the training time. If they had done that I think there would have been a much better reception to the anime.

If a season 4 is made I hope they will read these forums and see where to fix things.
Old 2008-10-09, 10:33   Link #139
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
Don't know what the reason was for some of the lack of idea development. All I really know is that it was annoying.

Sigh.

I think the entire series would have been made better by taking some of the stuff from the sound stages and putting it into anime and cutting down on the training time. If they had done that I think there would have been a much better reception to the anime.

If a season 4 is made I hope they will read these forums and see where to fix things.
Well, that would be great, if they come and took our advices

I think that a season 4 would be better if it's placed not after StrikerS but before it, like say Nanoha's live in Higschool and her initiation in the TSAB, man that would be so cool
Old 2008-10-09, 11:33   Link #140
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

During High School all of the characters were apart doing their own thing, so a High School setting would probably not be the best of settings to take. Not to mention that during that time Nanoha's main job is her job as a Tactics Instructor, which means we'll get an entire season filled with training episodes, with the occasional five minutes of High School.