AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Old 2008-03-12, 09:57   Link #401
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ok I saw the movie on crunchy and for me it was just bad. Horribly abridged story that threw away much of the intepersonal relationships that was absolutely critical to the tale. Half the characters were either cameos, personalities flipped up, or did not even appear in the story.

The movie tried to retell the tale that cannot be told UNLESS you have those relationships that forms the core of the tale. This is why despite the focus on Nagisa the story made absolutely no sense to me. The plot progression was like a flash of light and made no attempt to bridge the gaps. The character development came out of the blue at some points, most notoriously the one between Nagisa and Tomoya.

And I hated the characterization. Nagisa is unbearably optimistic, a complete turnaround from her character. Tomoya was relegated to an empty and passive observer, a complete deviation from self in the anime and game. If I didn't know the game and anime I'd be bored with them. Don't even get me started on Tomoyo, Kyou and Sunohara.

To me it was a failed attempt to begin with. Air did it right because you could tell the core of the tale with just the Misuzu, Yukine and her mother. You cannot tell Clannad's tale centering on Tomoya and Nagisa alone.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 09:58   Link #402
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Personally I'd suggest to get ahold of a copy of CLANNAD PC full voiced version now that it has been recently released and wait for the English patch, which is pretty close to completion though :/
Suggestions on where one can order that? PM me if you think that is too much of an "advertisement"...
Old 2008-03-12, 10:16   Link #403
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

The most common sites people use for importing Japanese games in this forums are himeyashop and paletweb, so it's not much of a trade secret
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 13:02   Link #404
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Ah, thanks for the answer. The anime will not be going on for too much longer, so I will finish that first.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 22:42   Link #405
Ray Huynh

A nubby question ><

How much would the DVD collection edition for the clannad movie cost me and what are the contents besides the movie itself?
Old 2008-03-14, 01:34   Link #406
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

is it true what i hear about the last ep being released in oav format?
germanturkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 02:30   Link #407
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Huynh View Post
A nubby question ><

How much would the DVD collection edition for the clannad movie cost me and what are the contents besides the movie itself?
there are actually 2 additional versions along with the regular one:

Special Edition:
  • Movie DVD
  • Bonus DVD (TV and Movie preview promo)
  • Drama CD "Furukawa-san chi futatabi"
Collector Edition:
  • Movie DVD and Movie Blu-ray disc
  • Deluxe booklet (Script of the movie, storyboard, etc).
  • Drama CD "dango dango dango"
  • Telephone Card
As far as I could see around, Special Edition worth approximately $80 (without shipping), while Collector edition worth roughly $100 (though most online ship puts a discount on that item).

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
is it true what i hear about the last ep being released in oav format?
Not exactly: it will be a dvd only episode.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 11:16   Link #408
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
there are actually 2 additional versions along with the regular one:

Special Edition:
  • Movie DVD
  • Bonus DVD (TV and Movie preview promo)
  • Drama CD "Furukawa-san chi futatabi"
Collector Edition:
  • Movie DVD and Movie Blu-ray disc
  • Deluxe booklet (Script of the movie, storyboard, etc).
  • Drama CD "dango dango dango"
  • Telephone Card
As far as I could see around, Special Edition worth approximately $80 (without shipping), while Collector edition worth roughly $100 (though most online ship puts a discount on that item).

Not exactly: it will be a dvd only episode.
DVD only ep?! You're joking!!!! SOMEONE will have to order that for us!
zeth006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 17:43   Link #409
Deathscyther

So will episode 23&24 be filler or so to say?
Because it's said that episode 22 is the final episode of the season.
Old 2008-03-14, 17:46   Link #410
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscyther View Post
So will episode 23&24 be filler or so to say?
Because it's said that episode 22 is the final episode of the season.
Episode 23 is called "The Events of Summer" and continues the story, though it could count as filler. I have no idea what Episode 24 is about. (Maybe a fanservice OVA?)

I really don't know why they're cutting it short like this... I hope it's for a surprise announcement of Haruhi 2...
Old 2008-03-14, 17:48   Link #411
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I really don't know why they're cutting it short like this... I hope it's for a surprise announcement of Haruhi 2...
Off topic: You know badly that's gonna derail our thing? Not that I mind an announcement about the second coming.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 17:48   Link #412
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Off topic: You know badly that's gonna derail our thing? Not that I mind an announcement about the second coming.
Well, considering the only reason we're so popular is because there's no announcement about the second coming...
Old 2008-03-14, 18:23   Link #413
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Episode 23 is called "The Events of Summer" and continues the story, though it could count as filler. I have no idea what Episode 24 is about. (Maybe a fanservice OVA?)

They wouldn't announce Haruhi 2 in Clannad's last episode. It's a different company.
Old 2008-03-14, 18:32   Link #414
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
They wouldn't announce Haruhi 2 in Clannad's last episode. It's a different company.
Same animation studio, though.

That wasn't my point, though. Winter season ends the week of Clannad 23's broadcast, because it's a week behind all the other shows. If they weren't doing something in spring season, they could just show Clannad 24 the week after, since spring season begins... the second week of April, I think?
Old 2008-03-15, 05:35   Link #415
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

I had a question . Which should i watch first?

Movie or the series?

Does order matter at all?
Old 2008-03-15, 05:37   Link #416
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
The series is most likely the best choice to begin first, as it is a largely better ride to get touch with the huge character cast.
Also, watching the movie first will most likely dampen and spoil your series ride, even worse if the second season is confirmed for Clannad TV.

In most case, I would really suggest anyone not to watch the movie, until they are done with the TV series, while without minding being spoiled.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 15:12   Link #417
Knight
Eternal Love

So I've played all the school life routes in the order the guide on page 3 gave and unlocked the After Story after I finished with Koumura's route (I had previously played Nagisa's route first before any other route). I decided to replay Nagisa's route just in case I would miss out something in the After Story because I played her route before Fuko's. After I was done with Nagisa's route again, an untranslated option pops up with something about the After Story in its content. What is the option asking? I assumed it was asking if I wanted to unlock the After Story again with the things I did again in Nagisa's route so I clicked the left option (assuming that option was 'yes'). Also, is there a more updated guide other than the one on page 3?

And my last question is, I've heard people talking about episode 24 would be some sort of OVA. Is this true? If so, can someone provide me with a source that confirms this?
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 04:17   Link #418
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Woah, wait a minute!
I thought Clannad was going to be a 24 episode season?
Wow, I guess they just summarized everything into what little time they had and just went straight to the point on what Clannad is truly about.
So now I've been hearing about a second season telling the "After~" story and bonus episode(s) in the last volume of Clannad...is this true?

I haven't been keeping up with Clannad...so far I've only watched up to episode 20...thanks to Brawl. (this is a first for me not to keep up with one of the animes that I usually would watch seasonally.)
Old 2008-03-20, 07:48   Link #419
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
And my last question is, I've heard people talking about episode 24 would be some sort of OVA. Is this true? If so, can someone provide me with a source that confirms this?
The TV series runs for 23 episodes. The regular story ends with episode 22 (which airs 21st March), the 23rd episode (which airs next week on the 28th March) will be a special entitled "Summer Vacation Chapter".

There is a 24th episode but this is a DVD only episode, this will be released on the 16th July 2008 on the last (8th) DVD.

You can confirm this with sites such as ANN, AniBD, Wiki, and no doubt the Official Site (but I can't read Japanese so can't confirm).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 04:11   Link #420
brocko

Just a quick question about the Toei Movie (I'm purposely avoiding the thread in fears of spoilers btw), does it cover more or less than what the TV series did? If i did watch it after episodes 22 of the TV series would it spoil any potential After Story content for the potential rumoured '2nd season' of Clannad TV?

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2008-03-21 at 07:21.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote