AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-09-28, 12:40   Link #1
CronicHazel

Send a message via ICQ to CronicHazel Send a message via AIM to CronicHazel Send a message via MSN to CronicHazel Send a message via Yahoo to CronicHazel
KM Player? y/n?

Alright, a couple months ago, i recently stumbled across another internal-codec media player (uknow, like VLC) and I haven't given it a try as it looked just pretty generic. Now that I come back to it, it appears to be doing quite well. I installed it, and it is by far one of the most complete and gorgeous players ever, and makes VLC look like a piece of shite. Has anyone tried this yet? :/ Or are there any issues with it that i'm currently unaware of. XD

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/index.php
Old 2007-09-28, 12:54   Link #2
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
The KMPlayer (Acceptable Player)

Attempts to use its own internal filters for everything. With this, it seems to work somewhat, but fails on several things like advanced subtitle effects (styles, positioning, etc), seeking with asf/wmv files (can cause blocking), mkv splitting in several cases (when it plays with three video windows it is quite spectacular though), and probably a lot more.
Also various evil components were sigted within the program directory, which may or may not cause huge drama, though seemingly they will only get used at user preference, except for some outdated and slightly broken Gabest filters on which this player seems to rely a lot.
Furthermore, it has a tendency to load random files starting with "a" from the same directory if you open "a.mkv" for example, which can result in some rather funny scenarios too (unless you manually turn off the loading of any additional files completely).
All in all, it tries quite hard for the components it uses, but that still doesn't make it a working solution in its default setup.
You need to change a whole lot of settings to make it actually ignore the internal stuff and just use the default DirectShow filters, along with several settings for playback to work properly in general (like aspect ratio), but it seems to work mostly fine after that.
Using Haali's renderer seemed to cause some rather weird issues (multiple graphs loaded at the same time) in this player.
Audio normalization is also enabled by default, which may or may not cause rather funny sounds to come out, users are free to experiment with it for themselves.
Switching video renderer during playback causes it to rebuild the graph (necessary), seek back to about the same time where it left off, and continue playing (even if it was paused before). The main thing it misses is changing back to the correct tracks too.
Also when using external filters it doesn't seem to have a menu or keys explicitly for changing tracks, so you will have to poke that Haali icon manually or the Filters menu entry for it.
Trying to install without all the included stuff will result in a neat Korean interface. Language files seem to be hidden under "KMPlayer Extender File" (description says "Files for video/audio effects."), which also gives you a near 15 MB bonus in install size.
CCCP with MPC/ZP or mplayer is still your best choice though. ^_^
Old 2007-09-28, 13:04   Link #3
CronicHazel

Send a message via ICQ to CronicHazel Send a message via AIM to CronicHazel Send a message via MSN to CronicHazel Send a message via Yahoo to CronicHazel
Ah, looks pretty glitchy to me still, i suppose. :3 Much thanks for the info!

but do you happen to know how this compares to VLC? Cause I need to find a reliable internal-codec player, for whenever I build or reformat a comp, and I don't feel like installing a codec pack yet. (even thought it undeniably will happen sooner or later xD ) And yeah, I don't like VLC that much ;/
Old 2007-09-28, 13:30   Link #4
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronicHazel View Post
Ah, looks pretty glitchy to me still, i suppose. :3 Much thanks for the info!

but do you happen to know how this compares to VLC? Cause I need to find a reliable internal-codec player, for whenever I build or reformat a comp, and I don't feel like installing a codec pack yet. (even thought it undeniably will happen sooner or later xD ) And yeah, I don't like VLC that much ;/
VLC has its own problems too, like bad softsub support, some odd bugs here and there (and more stuff, but I'm too lazy to link or copy-pasta from the CCCP wiki)...

If you want a player which uses its own internal filters, then try mplayer.
Old 2007-09-28, 16:25   Link #5
Nicholi
King of Hosers

KMplayer makes baby Jesus cry...and Gabest. They can fuck off and die with their buggy player.

Does it work? Maybe a bit. Does it work as well as using the CCCP (with a player that doesn't suck balls), not yet as far as I know. The main issue last I recall is its fucking insane usage of internal filters which are not as easily turned off as say...MPC. In my mind, it's like BSPlayer but worse. Have fun .

VLC would unfortunately in this case be a better choice, even with the absence of working subtitle support. But really who is VLC's half-brother? MPLAYER! Use that instead. All in all your best choice would be CCCP with a sane player (two are packaged), I don't know why you keep ignoring a good choice.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-29, 01:48   Link #6
CronicHazel

Quote:
I don't know why you keep ignoring a good choice.
Who the hell said I was ignoring a good choice? I was merely looking for a decent media player with internal-codecs, not ignoring codec packs. Stop acting like a douchebag.
Old 2007-10-21, 03:35   Link #7
Trail

KMplayer uses mplayer, which is totally awesome. It certainly is better than VLC.

However, I use SMplayer myself. THey both can have the same engine, but i like SMplayer's interface more.
Old 2007-10-21, 08:56   Link #8
Milvus

Well, not exactly. KMPlayer on Linux is a KDE frontend for MPlayer.
The KMPlayer on windows is a DirectShow Player with internal filters, as described by CCCP wiki.

First one is quite a excellent player, since it's MPlayer based.
Second one has pro and con...
Milvus is offline   Reply With Quote