AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-13, 16:47   Link #281
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I thought about the non-reaction to the regained eyesight thing....

Do any of you think that maybe....

Spoiler:
Old 2008-01-13, 17:31   Link #282
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I thought about the non-reaction to the regained eyesight thing....

Do any of you think that maybe....

Spoiler:
As a writer, you should explain weird things, or give the viewer hints that you will explain them later. Neither was done here, so it's a bit unpleasantly confusing to us.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 17:46   Link #283
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
@ Chiibi ~ very unlikely...even something like that an explination is needed rather than making the viewers "assume" that it might have occured.

@ mandarb916 ~ thx for that piece of insight This setup now reminds me of higurashi where a certain family was also looked down upon.

+ 1

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 19:25   Link #284
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
IMO they need to come out with the big secret behind the Hayami hate soon. With this kind of buildup I'm already feeling like it's going to be a letdown in terms of believability. The whole idea that she goes along with, and even encourages this behavior is pretty retarded. Other than this group insanity it seems like it might be a pretty decent show.
agreed..how can someone go along with this kind of abuse to herself......yes pretty f'ing stupid and retarded, even the teacher too - what the hell??....and they better have some decent reason behind it

i'm still dissapointed with him having eyesight.....GRRRRRRRR
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 20:20   Link #285
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
IMO they need to come out with the big secret behind the Hayami hate soon. With this kind of buildup I'm already feeling like it's going to be a letdown in terms of believability. The whole idea that she goes along with, and even encourages this behavior is pretty retarded. Other than this group insanity it seems like it might be a pretty decent show.
Actually this comic is working around on one of those rural area ritual taboos that is not documented but possibly still practiced today.

Murahachibu, onikko and other ritual discrimination can still be in existance without any knowledge by outsiders. That's one of the scary parts of a closed rural village(anywhere around the world).
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 00:51   Link #286
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
agreed..how can someone go along with this kind of abuse to herself......yes pretty f'ing stupid and retarded, even the teacher too - what the hell??....and they better have some decent reason behind it
The story takes place in jr. high/middle school which is still part of mandatory education in Japan. I'm sure if it were HS, Hayami would have been denied entry into school. That said, because it's part of mandatory education, they're forced to take Hayami in as a student, more or less, as part of the 20% situation. Still, being an outcast, she's treated as such. By treating her at the same level as the other commune folk, those people would end up being outcasts as well and thus face the same problems as Hayami. Basically covering their own behinds....though there's probably more to that, in this particular story.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 00:59   Link #287
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
The story takes place in jr. high/middle school which is still part of mandatory education in Japan. I'm sure if it were HS, Hayami would have been denied entry into school. That said, because it's part of mandatory education, they're forced to take Hayami in as a student, more or less, as part of the 20% situation.
i dont see how the teacher can stand seeing one of the student getting her a$$ beat...we will find out the situation soon hopefully
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 01:04   Link #288
stewie0814

Hmm yeah, it was pretty weird how everyone took as a given that the guy could see (did i miss something?). Other than that, episode was alright. I still find pretty sad/disturbing/weird how everyone hates hayami, guess they'll explain later on
stewie0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 01:18   Link #289
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Actually this comic is working around on one of those rural area ritual taboos that is not documented but possibly still practiced today.

Murahachibu, onikko and other ritual discrimination can still be in existance without any knowledge by outsiders. That's one of the scary parts of a closed rural village(anywhere around the world).
Well it's not so much that it's actually happening but rather the extreme level of the abuse that seems like it's stretching things. It's one thing to dislike, shun, avoid, ignore, etc. someone, it's another thing entirely to kick their ass daily. That kind of thing is just sadistic, the people not doing anything about it are almost as bad.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 01:21   Link #290
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
i dont see how the teacher can stand seeing one of the student getting her a$$ beat...we will find out the situation soon hopefully
Refer back to the first post on this particular page I made in regards to "Murahachibu". Teacher or not, in these types of areas which fall under "Sonraku" (literal translation = fallen village/town) or the Japanese equivalent of a hamlet, fair treatment of murahachibu can potentially alienate the person giving the fair treatment, thus, regardless of right or wrong, they'll generally take the easy way out. In H2O, this is probably a case of "mite minu furi"...basically see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

@zippicus
I don't really think the anime itself is stretching things too much. There have been a few cases over the 60+ years since the end of WWII where victims of murahachibu have commited suicide, snapped and committed murder, etc. They haven't been limited to adults or adolescents, but in some cases entire families as well. It's not a pretty side of Japanese culture and it's not something that reaches the western world easily as it takes place deep in the heart of the Japanese countryside.
Old 2008-01-14, 01:29   Link #291
CooKie D.

Hello everyone

I always thought one reason takuma regained his sight (someone said he was born blind... In episode one I recall Takuma said he couldn't see since "That time", presumably after a train accident? ) was to win Hayami's trust... In episode one he felt shocked after Hayami told him he couldn't "do" anything, after which Otoha let him see again.

If he still couldn't see now, Hayami would still be distant from him, and he wouldn't be able stand up for her. Then a lot more people would complain about how episode two went "nowhere" (With all the events that did happen, some people are still complaining about the pace )

As for those who felt one of the attractions was a blind male lead, no worries, Otoha said it was a temporary thing, so I expect him to go blind again; only this time, Hayami won't be so distant. They might even stand up together against her oppressors

Last edited by CooKie D.; 2008-01-14 at 02:55. Reason: wrong spelling
CooKie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 01:45   Link #292
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooKie D. View Post
As for those who felt one of the attractions was a blind male lead, no worries,
with a female voice actress, no less
Ami Koshimizu is working very hard this season
Old 2008-01-14, 03:41   Link #293
Ahlunn
mEloixity

The 2nd episode was ehh... way off from the first one... thats for sure. I can't really describe it, but I was totally drawn in by the first episode but now I'm even getting a feeling of dropping it. However, the only character in the show that's still keeping me interested is Otoha, anyone agree? XD

I hope she gets more screen time :P
Ahlunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 08:03   Link #294
arkxkra
全力全開

omg, the situation is damn not fair to Hayami. the way they do to Hayami and the teacher don't care, WTF! Is Hayami carry bad luck to people who close to her or something?
Old 2008-01-14, 10:26   Link #295
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooKie D. View Post

As for those who felt one of the attractions was a blind male lead, no worries, Otoha said it was a temporary thing, so I expect him to go blind again; only this time, Hayami won't be so distant. They might even stand up together against her oppressors
Technically I think a lot of people are disappointed that he regained his sight so soon. The draw to the series for myself and many others was the blind male lead, its not like you see a lot of that in anime so in a way it was something new. But it was destroyed with him regaining his sight by the end of episode 1. Granted its not going to last, but it depends on the time flow in the series its self. Otoha did not give a time she just said make good use of it. The writers could decide to leave him with his sight for the entire series and after everything has been resoved take it away in the last episode. Watching work through the problems without having sight would have been more meaninful. I would have waited till at least episode 5 or 6 when something happens that requires him to have sight. The series is still fun to watch (except for the random beatings of Hayami) but it did lose a couple of points with me on th eyesight issue.
Old 2008-01-14, 10:53   Link #296
Willcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Technically I think a lot of people are disappointed that he regained his sight so soon. The draw to the series for myself and many others was the blind male lead, its not like you see a lot of that in anime so in a way it was something new. But it was destroyed with him regaining his sight by the end of episode 1. Granted its not going to last, but it depends on the time flow in the series its self. Otoha did not give a time she just said make good use of it. The writers could decide to leave him with his sight for the entire series and after everything has been resoved take it away in the last episode. Watching work through the problems without having sight would have been more meaninful. I would have waited till at least episode 5 or 6 when something happens that requires him to have sight. The series is still fun to watch (except for the random beatings of Hayami) but it did lose a couple of points with me on th eyesight issue.
Yeah, I'm one of those who are offended/shocked by the sudden return of eyesight and the non-reactions from everyone else in the anime.

It would have been more interesting if he remained blind for a few more episodes, but I think if the writers/animation team did that, the whole uniqueness of the 'blind' aspect would have been lost or weakened. Sure I don't mind a few fanservice like in Ep1, but I bet if Takuma was still blind, going across the bridge to see Hayami would have taken too long (he'd have to feel his way across the bridge), he would have never noticed the area was her living space, the fanservice scene at the waterfall would not fit (he'd still be blind) and the tour of the town wouldn't have happened.

Yes it is very disappointing that there was no explanation, but at the same time, it leaves us asking why and wanting to watch more. Like another anime I am watching (True Tears), there are some "Huh?" "Wth?" moments or seemingly lapses in plot flow, explanation etc but hey, you can only do so much in a 12 or 13 episode series. If AIR came out in the end as pretty good, I think I can tolerate True Tears and H2O.
Willcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 12:28   Link #297
CooKie D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcrusher View Post
Yeah, I'm one of those who are offended/shocked by the sudden return of eyesight and the non-reactions from everyone else in the anime.

It would have been more interesting if he remained blind for a few more episodes, but I think if the writers/animation team did that, the whole uniqueness of the 'blind' aspect would have been lost or weakened. Sure I don't mind a few fanservice like in Ep1, but I bet if Takuma was still blind, going across the bridge to see Hayami would have taken too long (he'd have to feel his way across the bridge), he would have never noticed the area was her living space, the fanservice scene at the waterfall would not fit (he'd still be blind) and the tour of the town wouldn't have happened.

Yes it is very disappointing that there was no explanation, but at the same time, it leaves us asking why and wanting to watch more. Like another anime I am watching (True Tears), there are some "Huh?" "Wth?" moments or seemingly lapses in plot flow, explanation etc but hey, you can only do so much in a 12 or 13 episode series. If AIR came out in the end as pretty good, I think I can tolerate True Tears and H2O.
Willcrusher pretty much wrote down what I wanted to say
As surprising as it was that he got his sight by ep 2, how much more could the story have progressed had he stayed blind? He clearly couldn't stand up for Hayami, so that part of the story would have prety much stagnated.

I think he made use of this (hopefully) temporary sight just so he could win her trust. Even if (or when) he goes blind again now that he's gotten close to her the situation won't be the same as the beginning, when Hayami didn't want to involve him.

I agree about the no reaction on the villagers part though; even with a time skip, it does feel wierd that nobody seemed at least surprised he's not blind anymore.

I also agree that if Takuma keeps his sight for most of the series that it would be disappointing. That would make the "blind male lead" thing be just a marketing ploy to get people to notice the series; after which it turns out to be another "drama anime"
CooKie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 15:23   Link #298
bball_machine

Has anyone visited the visual novel's website?
http://www.makura-soft.com/h2o/

There's some chibi thing in the downloads section. I can't read Japanese much, so I don't really know what it is. I tried to download it, but the zip file is empty? Did anyone manage to get the file to open?

Thanks.
bball_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 17:26   Link #299
Kaoru Chujo
Komatsu Mikako

The "Countdown Movie" is a set of eleven cute little flash animations featuring chibi versions of the game characters. Every one of those "download" links at the bottom of the Download page seems to link to a mirror site of the same thing. I used the middle one for drabbit.net and it worked.
Komatsu Mikako 小松未可子 b88.11.11 (age 26). 2010: Heroman (Joey). 2011: Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (Mizuki Kotori). 2012: Bodacious Space Pirates (Kato Mariko), K (Neko). 2013: Sunday Without God (Ulla Hecmatika), Nagi no Asukara (Miuna). 2014: Soul Eater Not (Eternal Feather), Aldnoah Zero (Inko), Ao Haru Ride (Shuuko), Nisekoi (Seishirou). 2015: Junketsu no Maria (Priapos), Gangsta (Ginger), Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Hotaru), Ushio to Tora (Asako), Danchigai (Yayoi).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2015 anime previews | summer 2015 anime previews - schedule
character/seiyuu pages: Hibike! Euphonium | Akagami no Shirayukihime | Joukamachi no Dandelion | Charlotte | Gangsta | Gatchaman | Rokka no Yuusha | Aoharu x Kikanjuu | Non Non Biyori
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 23:34   Link #300
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I actually totally disagree about the eyesight - I'm glad he got it back so quickly. I think the blind lead thing had the risk of ending up as a gimmick, and undercutting everything else that happens in the series. The situation is interesting enough as is, and the most useful part of the blindness issue is probably the issue of how and why he got his eyesight back anyway.

I enjoyed the second ep a lot, and the premise more or less has me hooked in. It's hard to believe there's no one at the helm of this show with "Sola" in their pedigree - I continue to find it eerily reminiscent, from character development to backgrounds to BGM and right down to general vibe.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, kadokawa, magic, makura, romance, school life, seinen, zexcs