AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-10, 22:21   Link #201
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Kamina wasn't the entire show, though. Characters like Nia and Rossiu were equally necessary for the definition of the atmosphere. And let us not forget that Simon's relationship with Nia was as important as his relationship with Kamina.

Not the responsibilities of a man, the responsibilities of power and the consequence of your actions. The elder of Jeeha village was responsible for the orphans, Rossiu was responsible of humanity, Lord Genome was responsible for the Spiral Race and the Anti-Spiral was responsible for the Universe. Responsibility goes beyond the distinction of man, it's more about experience. Don't you notice the reinforcement of the idea "those that came before"?

This is kinda of a Super Robot quirk, don't you think? Girls in Diebuster and Gunbsuter were very loud, too.

How are they focusing on the interactions between men when Simon's most important relationship was with a female? They're actually taking screen-time from Kamina to give it to Yoko and Nia in the movies because Kamina is more important as a reckless and youthful dreamer than as a "man".
Well I'm a really lazy debater and I'm currently having an inspirational urge and is drawing something, so I'll not be discussing anymore on this one. If I do want to continue, my post would be huge though. Let's just say GAINAX failed to get its message across to everyone, especially since its a very Japanese view of what a man is, the entire message throughout the story.

But just one more thing:

And nowadays, people have forgotten about Hotbloodedness, or never even heard of it. Its something all true mecha fans should know though, normal mecha viewers don't really know about it. Its a very Japanese term, 'Nekketsu', all super robot pilots, masked riders etc. won't be themselves without it.

You mentioned Gunbuster and their girls being loud. Noriko and Lark were tomboys, but Kazumi and Nono weren't really loud and not tomboys. But all of them are Hotblooded, in fact, considered the most Hotblooded females in all mecha. I'll just say that for a man, Hotbloodedness is one important factor that adds to manliness.

Other than that, we failed to convince each other anything, GAINAX failed to carry its message of manliness across to you.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 23:08   Link #202
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Let's just say GAINAX failed to get its message across to everyone, especially since its a very Japanese view of what a man is, the entire message throughout the story.
Not really. Gainax's entire message through the story was generational conflict, growing old and the passage of time. They have repeatedly stated in the Gurren-Lagann feature in the Style Digital Magazine that Gurren-Lagann was a show about bridging the future and the past. "The wishes of the fallen and the hopes of those who are yet yo come..." like Simon himself said.

Here is some stuff from an old event in which they were interviewed:

"We wanted to show human aging in Gurren Lagann. We will get old. We will get wrinkles. We will, sooner or later, eventually die. But it's not a bad thing. It is human, and it is happiness."

"When you are young, you tend to say things like 'Who do you think I am?' but when you get older, you find it who you are no longer matters."

The meaning of Simon's "I'm nobody..." line:

"Until he asks that, he wonders who he is… he starts to say who he is but stops. But in that scene, the boy doesn't care who he is. There is meaning that he is talking with a boy. Gurren is Simon's story. And it continues with the boy. So the boy represents the next generation, and the next generation doesn't care who you are."

http://anime.miao.us/archives/2008/05/26/1416/
7Th is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 14:41   Link #203
Kristen
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Virginia Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Don't worry, it's probably meant to be a guy thing... I don't mean to sound sexist or anything, but the whole OMG ROBOTS EXPLOSIONS GALAXY SHURIKEN WHEE thing is traditionally male-oriented and all.
I guess you're right. I mean, I did want more of the interactions between Nia and Simon after they won over the beastmen, and I wanted more of the relations between the characters, like more development of Kittan-Yuko and Darry-Gimbly.

In the end, I guess it just comes down to the simple truth. I'm a girl, and girls like lovey dovey stuff. ^_^
__________________
Kristen is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 15:28   Link #204
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Gender differences are awesome.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2008-12-14, 22:56   Link #205
nutype
Future MD
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
almost everything about GL disturbed me. I kept watching just to see what everyone was raving about. I cant understand why any adult would like this series. If you in the age group of 8~14 okay sure but I cant see the appeal of this show to an intelligent and more mature audience.

*hurls galaxy at GL shippers*
__________________
April 07 2009, accepted into medical school! Graduating in 2013!

You may call me Dr. Nutype from now on thanks!
nutype is offline  
Old 2008-12-15, 14:17   Link #206
UnDeaD
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
almost everything about GL disturbed me. I kept watching just to see what everyone was raving about. I cant understand why any adult would like this series. If you in the age group of 8~14 okay sure but I cant see the appeal of this show to an intelligent and more mature audience.

*hurls galaxy at GL shippers*
Gurren-Lagann is best written and more sophisticated than any other mecha show in the last 10 years. Take as an example the first episode; we're introduced to Simon, an introspective boy that works as a digger to expand his underground village, and Kamina, a loud and reckless dreamer with crazy shades. In the first scene we witness Kamina getting Simon to help him with his attempt to ascend towards the world above, a place said to be nonexistent by their defeated and restrictive society, and thanks to this quirky set-up we're are introduced to the key ideas of the narrative.

Through Simon's own nihilism we are able to understand the current state of humanity, hopeless and without expectations; through the village elder we get a first hint at the main motif behind the antagonists the heroes will struggle against, superiors of wisdom burdened by their own responsibility and with the intention to do whatever it takes to ensure the survival and well-being of their protectees; through Kamina's hot-headed sense of justice and rebellion we discover the will of the youth, the hopes that still exist in those that will still be born. The narrative is brilliantly simple, with a refreshing straight-forwardness to its sense of meaning yet delivering most of it through subtext to keep it professional enough. Where other shows fail due to redundancy or excessive emphasis, Gurren-Lagann excels because it goes back to basics and strips all of the unnecessary crap that weights the genre down.
UnDeaD is offline  
Old 2008-12-17, 17:07   Link #207
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
almost everything about GL disturbed me. I kept watching just to see what everyone was raving about. I cant understand why any adult would like this series. If you in the age group of 8~14 okay sure but I cant see the appeal of this show to an intelligent and more mature audience.

*hurls galaxy at GL shippers*
You like Gundam 00 and Nena Trinity. Your opinion is worthless.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2008-12-18, 09:26   Link #208
Ottocycle
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 28
Building on, I do think that anyone who's not able to see through the subtext will plainly see nothing more than Good Wins Evil again and again in this show. The villains are defined and the good guys will take them down episode after episode. Of course, whoever's undiscerning enough to not see the subtext (the kids) will be enjoying the show just for that and the themes of perseverance, friendship, brotherhood and just plain ol' trying your best at everything you do. Meanwhile, those who are more perceptive will get that there are no bad guys in this show at all! The Bad Guys of this show are just Good Guys Who Gave Up Halfway And Chose The Easy Way Out. That was why this show was aired at a Sunday morning timeslot, to impart to the kids what the super robot shows and tokusatsu of yesteryear have been doing all along.

I think that adults will watch this show because they were the children of yesteryear. Rarely comes a show nowadays that embodies the above themes so freely without restraint that reminds them of the values which they could get on TV back then everyday. Another reason besides nostalgia, which can attract new viewers of today, could be that shows like GL are totally few and far between, and it is a massive breath of fresh air to all involved. No intrigue, no plotting(but a plot), no subterfuge and a whole lot of hope and optimism. Add in great characters, comedy, well executed interaction, and you have one hell of an ensemble cast where you just enjoy every role being around. If that's not an enjoyable show, I don't know what is.

I'm not good at talking good things about this show, but I do think it's one of the best and I felt a need to rebut the stand that GL is 'disturbing'. If it's inadequate then please feel free to point it out.
Ottocycle is offline  
Old 2008-12-18, 09:56   Link #209
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Building on, I do think that anyone who's not able to see through the subtext will plainly see nothing more than Good Wins Evil again and again in this show. The villains are defined and the good guys will take them down episode after episode. Of course, whoever's undiscerning enough to not see the subtext (the kids) will be enjoying the show just for that and the themes of perseverance, friendship, brotherhood and just plain ol' trying your best at everything you do. Meanwhile, those who are more perceptive will get that there are no bad guys in this show at all! The Bad Guys of this show are just Good Guys Who Gave Up Halfway And Chose The Easy Way Out. That was why this show was aired at a Sunday morning timeslot, to impart to the kids what the super robot shows and tokusatsu of yesteryear have been doing all along.

I think that adults will watch this show because they were the children of yesteryear. Rarely comes a show nowadays that embodies the above themes so freely without restraint that reminds them of the values which they could get on TV back then everyday. Another reason besides nostalgia, which can attract new viewers of today, could be that shows like GL are totally few and far between, and it is a massive breath of fresh air to all involved. No intrigue, no plotting(but a plot), no subterfuge and a whole lot of hope and optimism. Add in great characters, comedy, well executed interaction, and you have one hell of an ensemble cast where you just enjoy every role being around. If that's not an enjoyable show, I don't know what is.

I'm not good at talking good things about this show, but I do think it's one of the best and I felt a need to rebut the stand that GL is 'disturbing'. If it's inadequate then please feel free to point it out.
Indeed, Gurren-Lagann is great because it takes away all of the "contrivances" that weight down modern anime. Even the subtext is straight-forward. It’s simple and essentially timeless.

However, saying Gurren-Lagann has clever subtext has nothing to do with saying Gurren-Lagann is disturbing. Gurren-Lagann's subtext is essential and very classy; it just gives meaning to the struggle. It is just very poetical and makes the show a whole lot more satisfying. I believe that the way they reinforce the themes through old-school literary devices, subtle foreshadowing or natural parallels between sequences is what turns Gurren-Lagann into such an incredible experience.
7Th is offline  
Old 2009-01-26, 02:57   Link #210
TobiaSR32
Jedi Familiar
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Age: 29
Send a message via Yahoo to TobiaSR32
I freaking loved this show when I first saw it. Hooked right from the start on episode 1.

Gotta love a show that sinks it's teeth into you early and drags you along for one heck of a wild ride.
TobiaSR32 is offline  
Old 2009-01-26, 03:10   Link #211
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
almost everything about GL disturbed me. I kept watching just to see what everyone was raving about. I cant understand why any adult would like this series. If you in the age group of 8~14 okay sure but I cant see the appeal of this show to an intelligent and more mature audience.

*hurls galaxy at GL shippers*
Hmmm, are you an adult? Just curious.

Looking at your viewing tastes.... I'm wondering what your definition of "intelligent and more mature" might be. You might want to try a different tack or basis from which to assert. The show was pretty decent operatic science fiction, had an assertive go-get-em cast, action, romance, wasn't shy about tragedy. It wasn't King Lear, it wasn't the best thing I've ever seen --- but then again, I'd say it runs circles around a lot of the drivel Hollywood puts out for "adults". :P

I gave it a good high-adventure romp rating.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2009-02-01, 18:08   Link #212
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
almost everything about GL disturbed me. I kept watching just to see what everyone was raving about. I cant understand why any adult would like this series. If you in the age group of 8~14 okay sure but I cant see the appeal of this show to an intelligent and more mature audience.

*hurls galaxy at GL shippers*
ROFL, ow, it hurts to breathe....

I believe Kaisos Erranon phrased it quite well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You like Gundam 00 and Nena Trinity. Your opinion is worthless.
Seriously. While I won't claim to understand all of TTGL's intracacies (even though I've watched the series a million times), I do have an appreciation for the heart of the show and the themes that hold true. The fact that you would say this show is for kids makes me question whether you were paying attention, or even watched the show at all.


Though I will take the time to say I disagree when UnDeaD says this is the *best* mecha show in the last ten years.... if only because I liked Code Geass just as much and it seriously can compete in both epic scale (relatively speaking) and great storyline. However, just that's just me... I don't mean to start any kind of debate, so that's all I have to say on that matter.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline  
Old 2009-02-01, 18:18   Link #213
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
The only reason I would disagree with best mecha of the last 10 years is because just 10 years before TTGL is Gaogaigar. Which still holds as one of the best mecha anime in anime history.

Geass vs TTGL doesn't really work because its a real robot vs a super robot show, the atmosphere and how things work in both shows are totally different.

But for TTGL to stand against Gaogaigar, it would be an actual match. But if Gaogaigar was done with the same level of technology in animation as TTGL, Gaogaigar would win hands down. Even Gaogaigar FINAL already has animation and epicness that matches if not, better(for epicness) than the best parts of TTGL.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline  
Old 2009-02-02, 09:58   Link #214
UnDeaD
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The only reason I would disagree with best mecha of the last 10 years is because just 10 years before TTGL is Gaogaigar. Which still holds as one of the best mecha anime in anime history.

Geass vs TTGL doesn't really work because its a real robot vs a super robot show, the atmosphere and how things work in both shows are totally different.

But for TTGL to stand against Gaogaigar, it would be an actual match. But if Gaogaigar was done with the same level of technology in animation as TTGL, Gaogaigar would win hands down. Even Gaogaigar FINAL already has animation and epicness that matches if not, better(for epicness) than the best parts of TTGL.
GGG is a little bit too self-indulgent for my tastes. It's a super-robot show for super-robot show sake. And the writing is pretty iffy most of the time. It makes for cool entertainment but it is rather forgettable due its complete avoidance of any kind of strong content or literary devices.
UnDeaD is offline  
Old 2009-02-02, 10:12   Link #215
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeaD View Post
GGG is a little bit too self-indulgent for my tastes. It's a super-robot show for super-robot show sake. And the writing is pretty iffy most of the time. It makes for cool entertainment but it is rather forgettable due its complete avoidance of any kind of strong content or literary devices.
I'm guessing you're not a regular mecha fan.

Its weird because TTGL is more self indulgent, if I understood what you mean and more a super robot show for a super robot show sake than GGG. We may be seeing the super robot genre with different perspectives.

To us mecha fans, TTGL is a homage of the super robot genre, its spirit and meaning, taken to extremes. Being full of homages and Gainax self homages from the start till the end, TTGL is totally self indulgent. Being a showcase of homages, its a super robot show to honour the super robot genre, its for super robot show sake.

GGG was there to carry out a message and to us mecha fans, though remembered the awesomeness of the mecha and action it had, the greatest thing that was engraved in out memories was the message of courage.

Gaogaigar revived and recreated the greatness of super robot spirits with its hotbloodedness and sincere message. We mecha fans consider it one of the best mecha ever presented.

Anyway, did you watch GGG FINAL?

The mecha genre is like moe anime. Not everyone can love moe, though it attracts alot of love, same for mecha. And moe lovers can go into indepth analysis of character types, tsundere, yandere, darudere etc., we mecha fans also have a very deep insight of the genre.

There's something a true mecha fan have, I can only call it a 'spirit of steel'. We mecha fans recognise each other by sensing it from each other.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline  
Old 2009-02-04, 23:49   Link #216
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Gurren Lagann is a great series, its not the best but its close to the top in my opinion, the characters are well thought out, there is a general motif that is constant through out the show, theres a mix of playfulness, insanity, and seriousness through out the entire show. TTGL is great because it doesn't take itself too seriously, but some times is lets on that there are parts where its supposed to be deep and this stems from probably one of the best soundtracks of the year. I mean in episode 25 when Kittan is about to sacrifice himself and libera me from hell starts playing you can feel the intensity although I still kind of find it akward with the kiss between yoko and kittan because there relationship is only progress through one episode. Any way my point is Gurren Lagann has a large cast but each character is memorable, from simon and kamina, to boota. For those that compare G 00 and Code geass to this series are comparing very different things, though they share mecha genre they really aren't in the same vein. GL is over the top with "combining" and what not while code geass s1 probably has the best mech designs in last couple of years so these series use mecha in very different ways. In Gl mecha is used to propagate the idea of spiral energy where as in geass its used as a limiting factor on Lulu's geass. 00 is in it self more of a serious beast and unlike GL it doesn't have characters as outrageous as GL it has characters that seem more realistic in the sense that not everyone is overtop. Of course 00 is more a space drama and the shows tone seems to be that it takes itself really seriously whereas GL is really playful with the mecha design and just the nature of the story is one of parody
Nosauz is offline  
Old 2009-04-22, 16:43   Link #217
Yokai
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I would say this is the best anime of all time. I am almost disappointed by some of the posts in this thread. I understand some people's distraught by Kamina's slightly sexist words at the beginning when they first meet yoko , but the words he say are quite frankly mistranslated to death there. The reason why he calls her "woman" a lot is because he doesn't know here name, much like he calls Rossiu "Dekosuke." It isn't as much meant to be degrading Women, but instead plays more of a voicing of Kamina's attitude. His "Manly" attitude is what makes him a really great character though, because he is such an extreme that it makes him recognizable and easy to distinguish within the MANY anime attitudes. Also, it works as a tool for self-mockery that is frequent in the show, making fun of some of the most common of anime cliches.

Some people say there's no depth to the story of the show, but obviously they haven't given the show a full watch. The entire ending half of the show is about how humanity is the enemy of all things, but can also avoid the end of all by following the path of human evolution. It's a very truthful and motivational plot idea.

And really, one of it's greatest benefits is that I could get ANYONE to watch the show and know they will enjoy it. Kids, adults, whoever: It is all universally enjoyable. The plot is simplistic, but has some extra layers of complexity. This simplicity is amazing, and it's much better than some other animes plot methods such as Code Geass, where the plot seems to try to be Death Note style "clever and thought intensive" but instead just seems to make up it's clever twists with things that could never happen in reality, and the story gets convoluted. Gurren Lagann is very simple but still has depth, which is REALLY where it shines. If I were to pick one animated piece that should represent the future of all animation, it would definitely be this show. It out-trumps anything I have ever seen before, and it really blows my mind with it's clever GOOD vs EVIL but not REALLY story.
__________________
Yokai is offline  
Old 2009-04-24, 23:49   Link #218
stardf29
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Coming in quite late to the show, but thanks to my school's anime club, I've been able to watch this show.

I'd have to say, as far as action-based shows go, this one is the best out there. No other show has gotten my adrenaline pumped up so many times, especially in the second half. Quite simply, it is full of awesome. Scratch that... it is made of awesome.

As a bonus, it's actually pretty deep on a psychological level, too.

10/10, easily.

I don't know about favorite anime ever... but that's mainly because I watch a huge variety of anime genres and it's really hard to compare this show to something like Toradora or Dennou Coil (other shows watched in anime club this semester, both of which are also 10/10 shows in my opinion). As far as I've seen, it's the best at what it does, and ultimately, that's what counts for me.
stardf29 is offline  
Old 2009-06-11, 11:30   Link #219
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I guess I'm not into Super Robot shows after all. To be honenst when I read a bit of the plot, I thought it was going to be deep. I didn't realise it was a it was your typical shounen, so I was kinda dissappointed. But I figured I'd give it a try anyway.

The latter part of the first arc and the entire second arc were the only parts I actually liked. The last episodes were a real chore for me. And I really didn't like how Simon dressed in those last episodes. He looked like a male stripper. And is it just me or did Yoko's breasts get larger in that arc? I gave it an overall 6.

Last edited by Haak; 2009-06-27 at 10:49.
Haak is offline  
Old 2009-06-14, 18:58   Link #220
kingkittan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
hands down greatness the best mecha show ive seen in a long time the show was just full of greatness great characters,fights,robots,deaths,and plot i can honestly tell you i dont have a single friend that didnt shed a man tear when kamina or kittan died. there lives were ended with on of the most memorable moves of all time the giga drill break forget gokus kamehameha or yuskes spirit gun the giga drill break was epic every time it wasnt overused and gave you chills every time the other great thing this show created was one of the most famous anime catch phrases ever "who the hell do you think i am" the show was great it made you laugh,cry, and cheer i give a even though it is one of my favorite i think they should made it longer and better explain the back story of the dead team gurren members but every one died in a glorious way behind kamina and kittan lordgenome had the best with his ending move lazengann overload all in all the show was great and i recomend it to all anime fans
kingkittan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.