AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-09, 02:39   Link #41
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Princeton University
^indeed, hair is a pain lol

congrats on 3rd page lol
__________________
Ice Climbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 03:52   Link #42
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Well, I think the vector does indeed looks a bit unnatural but unable to find where... If it's the color like you say, I pretty much just use the Color Picker Tool, so... a hint please? Or do I just adjust the color until I find the one that I like?
Oops! sorry, I was talking about the place were the color is, not about the color itself. >_<!



Some bits of hair are missing shadow color, while in others the color jumps the line completly. I know that this is a very picky observation, but this is one of the first things I try to see in any trace or vector I happen to come across.

Mind you, I think the colors you picked work very well, so no worries there.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 18:03   Link #43
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
^indeed, hair is a pain lol

congrats on 3rd page lol
Thanks ... Yea... it definitely is a pain. Currently I don't know how to do them well yet. Do you know how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Oops! sorry, I was talking about the place were the color is, not about the color itself. >_<!



Some bits of hair are missing shadow color, while in others the color jumps the line completly. I know that this is a very picky observation, but this is one of the first things I try to see in any trace or vector I happen to come across.

Mind you, I think the colors you picked work very well, so no worries there.
Ah.. you spot them ... Well, I think I'm gonna switch my order of tracing from now on. Instead of Coloring -> Shadow -> Outline, I'll go for Coloring -> Outline -> Shadow. The former order doesn't work very well (for me) since when I use the path tool (pen tool in photoshop) and trace a line, it would be off a bit, or part of the line would be off by a bit, despite the fact that path the tool I use more than all others combined! >_< (since I only know render, simple animated gif, and kind of for vector)

There were actually even worse spots, but I fixed them because they were a lot more noticeable...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback about that, as well as your comment on the color.

My utmost grief about this vector is that Shana doesn't look as red! >_< There goes half the moeness. (not to mention it looks a bit strange when I see it scaled down...)
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-01-09 at 20:56.
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 04:35   Link #44
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Well, been about forever since I update this thread... Anyway, here is a preview of my 3rd attempt at vector, since I'm too lazy to finish it and am also looking for feedback. I actually started it right after the 2nd vector and was close to finish a few weeks ago, but I kept delaying doing it (in other word, since a few weeks ago, I didn't make much progress, laziness ftw -_-).

Here's the close-to-finish vector:


And here's the source:


I haven't done the eyes, the shadow on Shana's hair on her far left and right, the lightnings on her hair, the shadow on the ribbon on Shana's left arm, and her legs, the lightning on ribbon and two legs, and I probably am not going to do the pendant. Anyway, the lines are slightly jaggy so I'm wondering what to do to make them not so. Plus, looking at the tear, I feel like I'm going to have trouble vectoring it , so I'm looking for some tips.

Thanks in advance.
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 18:01   Link #45
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Here's the close-to-finish vector:


I haven't done the eyes, the shadow on Shana's hair on her far left and right, the lightnings on her hair, the shadow on the ribbon on Shana's left arm, and her legs, the lightning on ribbon and two legs, and I probably am not going to do the pendant. Anyway, the lines are slightly jaggy so I'm wondering what to do to make them not so. Plus, looking at the tear, I feel like I'm going to have trouble vectoring it , so I'm looking for some tips.

Thanks in advance.
I think I prefer the skin color of your previous Shana vector; Then again, it may end up looking better after you apply the shadows and the blushing on her face.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 03:00   Link #46
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Well, then... finally finish that vector... after like 9-10 months lol <_<



Sort of gave up several months ago (gotta stop creating too many layers for even small things). My super organizational skill made me give up, so I just picked this up again yesterday. xcf here to see how bad it is.

Pendant is missing; same to the bit of hair on Shana's right leg and her right side of the face. Didn't do the tears (don't know how to ). And, thanks to my super accurate and controlled path-tool skill, a whole bunch of areas that are quite off (if it's not noticeable, it's okay, I guess ).

I wish I can create more natural looking eyes and blush, but I don't think those are bad.
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-11-19 at 22:07.
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 03:27   Link #47
othera
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia,Queensland
<3 all the shana avatars

Great job
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 04:05   Link #48
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Welcome back, and grats on finishing that vector.

You're not the only one who works on and off for his vectors. /pokes Daniel : O
__________________
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 04:35   Link #49
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
Well, then... finally finish that vector... after like 9-10 months lol <_<
Valky took me 13 months to complete........... I still rulez zupreme!



Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
Sort of gave up several months ago (gotta stop creating too many layers for even small things). My super organizational skill made me give up, so I just picked this up again yesterday.
You should stick to this... me thinks. If you plan to do more complex vectors in the future, this can help you lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
I wish I can create more natural looking eyes and blush, but I don't think those are bad.
The blushing seems to be done quite well IMHO. As for the eyes, I sometimes use independent gradients (as the base color) for a fancier look. Using a new layer for every color and shape is something that also works well (Read: more freedom to make changes).

I mean, I am always using those tricks when doing the eyes of the Clannad girls and have grown quite fond of the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
Welcome back, and grats on finishing that vector.

You're not the only one who works on and off for his vectors. /pokes Daniel : O
Amen to this!

pokes Riker!
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 02:35   Link #50
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by othera View Post
<3 all the shana avatars

Great job
Ah, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
Welcome back, and grats on finishing that vector.
Thank you. (is this where I say "zomg!! Riker visited my thread!!?" )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
You're not the only one who works on and off for his vectors. /pokes Daniel : O
I actually planned to give up vectoring this several months ago because of the organization mess. For some reason a few days ago I was able to pump up some energy and ignored trying to organize all that, then I finished the vector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Valky took me 13 months to complete........... I still rulez zupreme!
Dang... I knew I should have waited longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
You should stick to this... me thinks. If you plan to do more complex vectors in the future, this can help you lots.
Will do... but the pace I'm going, I'm probably not going to do any large vector any time soon, if ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
The blushing seems to be done quite well IMHO. As for the eyes, I sometimes use independent gradients (as the base color) for a fancier look. Using a new layer for every color and shape is something that also works well (Read: more freedom to make changes).

I mean, I am always using those tricks when doing the eyes of the Clannad girls and have grown quite fond of the end result.
I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

New vector in progress...


This time outlining first instead of coloring since outlining's the most painful.
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-11-15 at 12:48.
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 12:24   Link #51
LovePhoenix
Biggest Nerine fan~!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Egypt
Wow, awesome! You really have some great animated avvies there. ^^
__________________
www.snowflowergames.withme.us

Visit our site and join the fun~!
LovePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 17:36   Link #52
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
^Thanks for the compliment.

Update on the vector:


Outline - 5-6 hours
Color - 1 hour and 45 minutes

I think the color is off, though.

Only shadow, highlight, and face left. @_@
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 19:31   Link #53
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Do you have the source image for your vector at hand?
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 22:16   Link #54
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Do you have the source image for your vector at hand?
Here

__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 00:11   Link #55
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Well, it's no wonder you feel the colors are a bit off since the colors in the screencap are just like that too. If you have another Shana pic with better quality and colors (skin in particular) you could use that as your base and take the colors from there.

With a quick "Color Overlay" you can skip re-coloring the already finished parts and simply change the color values to the new ones.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 00:19   Link #56
Aya_Lyka
Silent Writer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Other Realm
Age: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to Aya_Lyka
great one teachopvutru, the vector is really looking nice. i hope it turns out good.
Aya_Lyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 09:12   Link #57
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago,IL, USA!!!!
Age: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
hi!! Welcome back. And nice vector too.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 02:49   Link #58
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Well, it's no wonder you feel the colors are a bit off since the colors in the screencap are just like that too. If you have another Shana pic with better quality and colors (skin in particular) you could use that as your base and take the colors from there.

With a quick "Color Overlay" you can skip re-coloring the already finished parts and simply change the color values to the new ones.
Ah, thanks. I would rep you again if there wasn't a limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya_Lyka View Post
great one teachopvutru, the vector is really looking nice. i hope it turns out good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post
hi!! Welcome back. And nice vector too.
Thanks for the encouragement...

In any case, I just completed that new vector. I believe it to be my best attempt at vectoring so far.

Blushing version:


No Blush version:


Once again... Alastor didn't receive much love.

Time spent (roughly):
Outline: 5-6 hours.
Coloring: 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Shadow and Highlight: 1 hour. (possibly more, can't remember)
Facial expression: 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Editting: 2 hours... (beside changing the color, there were a lot of places where the colors are off the line <_<. Couldn't fix all of those places, though...)

Total time spent: around 10 hours and 45 minutes to 11 hour and 15 minutes. (I'm a slow tracer )

Used as color reference:


Things I do a bit differently compared to last time:
-Actually tracing the outline instead of just stroking.
-For shadows and highlights, I use each respective original color instead of black and white with Soft Light blending mode and low opacity.
-Feather selection when filling colors inside iris instead of guassian blur the whole thing.

Aye, mostly I find this time of vectoring more enjoyable than the last (since I didn't have an organization mess this time ). Would get intense headache from around 2 hours of sitting to vector, though (nearly wanted to kill myself when I did the outline).

... and aye, probably won't be able to wake up for school tomorrow @_@ (or today rather).
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-11-19 at 22:03.
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 06:28   Link #59
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post

In any case, I just completed that new vector. I believe it to be my best attempt at vectoring so far.
Hell yes, It truly is your best so far!

Good work!
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 21:06   Link #60
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Aye... this is just wrong. Imageshack no longer shows the full size pic (unless you right click and View Image)... <_<

You know another image hosting site that also does thumbnail?
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.