AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-10-16, 06:18   Link #21
malaujai

Does anyone know if anymore MP4 releases will be made by any group?

I downloaded the first episode in MP4, but the filename does not have a group's tag on it and I cannot remember who released it. Also, I have yet to see an MP4 release of episode 2 so I hope it is not a dropped idea.
malaujai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 06:39   Link #22
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
That's from Anonymous. They've already released ep 2 in mp4 format.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 10:33   Link #23
Navitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
My 1.5 GHZ Willamette ran most MKV encoded files without any problems.... The real problem is that most users have so much bloat/spyware on his or her computer that even a Q6600 wouldn't be enough to run a H.264 file.
Finally someone speaks words of pure reason, Thank You~!. Any time someone says they cant run a h.264 or at least 720p and there CPU speed is well above 1.5Ghz. Telling them to optimize there codecs and players isnt the thing to do, having them run HiJackThis is the best way they can get help.
Navitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 10:42   Link #24
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
That's an easy statement to make when your own machine isn't struggling.
I'm not going to say that there isn't anyone who's pc won't struggle, because there will be. But IMO you'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of PC hardware performance anyway. According to Apple the 720p requirements are in line with what would be considered reasonable for a low end PC by todays standard.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide...endations.html. Now from our time in the tech forum I've heard of very few (if any) people running PC's with lower specs than this. Most I've come across are running the last gen p4/Athlon's or Dual cores.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 10:54   Link #25
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

I would have to agree. All those who came to complain in the channel about the large filesize and formats released all had 2ghz CPUs or more. The majority had p4 3ghz, and the rest had dual cores. Both complained about their computers lagging when running our releases.

Specially the low end dual cores should know that if they want to be able to run a HD h264 encode decently, it's best that they install coreavc. As opposed to libavcodec, which only rapes one of your cores and leaves the other idle, coreavc will make use of both cores for processing, and thus the performance will improve.
Old 2007-10-16, 15:48   Link #26
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navitron View Post
Finally someone speaks words of pure reason, Thank You~!. Any time someone says they cant run a h.264 or at least 720p and there CPU speed is well above 1.5Ghz. Telling them to optimize there codecs and players isnt the thing to do, having them run HiJackThis is the best way they can get help.
Clockrate was Intel's old marketing line - it isn't about that anymore. Clockrate does play into it, but processor architecture (efficiency) is far more important. The example I have is very old by now, but it shows the point anyway: I could underclock my Pentium M 1.6 GHz laptop to 600 MHz, and it could play, with no trouble, fansubs that my 1.2 GHz Athlon system would struggle with.

Software mismanagement likely does play into it as well, but when a person with a Pentium 4 complains of lag, it isn't necessarily due to malware. The P4's "Netburst" architecture was garbage; that person may be at the limits of what a Pentium 4 can do unless they want to massively overclock it to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan
I'm not going to say that there isn't anyone who's pc won't struggle, because there will be. But IMO you'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of PC hardware performance anyway. According to Apple the 720p requirements are in line with what would be considered reasonable for a low end PC by todays standard.
These are all subjective. If my old Athlon system hadn't started to struggle with regular internet applications, I wouldn't have upgraded it. Anime fansub playback has nothing to do with that. So then, if I were using a system that couldn't play fansubs, I might just be miffed at the fansub community and I'd be left with no choice but to not watch fansubs. As it is and as I mentioned in your thread, I upgraded the system to a Sempron - an economy-class processor and setup that I funded myself and thus reflects a college student budget (barely - I've seen people using worse). I don't know whether it can handle 720p because I've never tried, but I certainly would not expect it to.

What it really comes down to is whether you want to start alienating people. Having been a fansubber for two years I can tell you that subbers are motivated by all sorts of different things. For me, I liked the idea of bringing anime to people. 720p and all this other high-definition stuff is great for quality, but I would not want to alienate anyone, if at all possible. If groups want to do dual-releases that's perfectly fine by my philosophy. If groups want to go high-def only, since I can play it with my laptop I don't have any real reason to complain, either. However, the use of a struggling processor is still relatively fresh in my mind, so I sympathize with those who would like to watch the latest and greatest anime releases and yet lack the technology and the funds to do so. I don't know whether you've been in that position yourself, but I'd imagine that if you have, you can understand what I'm talking about.
Old 2007-10-16, 17:27   Link #27
problemedchild
_

The Willamette is the first generation of Netburst based Intel Processors. I could play back any MKV file on that computer as long as it wasn't 720p. Of course, anyone who has such a crappy computer most likely won't have a need for 720p fansubs, so arguing about this is pretty much moot.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 11:02   Link #28
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
Sup guys,

First of all Sety, the original airing was not 1920x1080. I think it was some strange 1440x1080 format. However, it is not true 1080. Prolly some station upscale.
Thank you for the information. I wasn't entirely sure on that it was just an assumption, as far as I knew they were using a odd resolution for the series and for one thing I just wanted to aim for whichever had the best rip. (Eye candy reasons obviously)

Either way I just love the fact that for the people who do have the capability to play high quality rips actually have the option to do so. Its not as if other people don't have an option to watch the series in a quality that suits their computers performance either.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 16:15   Link #29
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

I'd like to correct myself. I shouldn't comment on this stuff anyway since I'm not an encoder ;p
But the transport stream was encoded in 1440x1080. However, it seems that if you actually play it, it can resize to 16:9, since the 1440 is deformed or whatever.
So yeah, it would result in a 1080 release.
However, sources tell us it's an upscale.

Last edited by ScR3WiEuS; 2007-10-19 at 10:15.
ScR3WiEuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 19:58   Link #30
Anavel
Sieg Zeon!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to Anavel Send a message via MSN to Anavel Send a message via Yahoo to Anavel
Which fansub is the best, translation wise? I was going with Nyoro~n, but I then found this: http://www.darkmirage.com/2007/10/22...lation-errors/

Last edited by Anavel; 2007-10-25 at 09:25. Reason: Spelling!?
Anavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 23:18   Link #31
Fuzzy_Bunny

LOL i read that.... so hilarious....nyoro~n completely #$%& the plot lol....
Fuzzy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 01:03   Link #32
Anachronism
Into Infinite Obscurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anavel View Post
Which fan sub is the best, translation wise? I was going with Nyoro~n, but I then found this: http://www.darkmirage.com/2007/10/22...lation-errors/
Wow, I watched episodes 1-3 from Nyoro~n but after seeing this I'll be switching to Conclave-Mendoi instead.
Anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 01:34   Link #33
mikyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronism View Post
Wow, I watched episodes 1-3 from Nyoro~n but after seeing this I'll be switching to Conclave-Mendoi instead.
I'll stay with anon ^^
mikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 03:08   Link #34
Anachronism
Into Infinite Obscurity

I just watched the Conclave-Mendoi release of episode 1 and I have to say the difference in video quality is very impressive compared to Nyoro~n.
Anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 08:05   Link #35
zerron

Is anonymous late with ep 3 or something else happend ?
zerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 07:22   Link #36
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerron View Post
Is anonymous late with ep 3 or something else happend ?
It seems at the moment that Anonymous dropped Gundam 00 for whatever reason.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 09:10   Link #37
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronism View Post
same with me......
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 09:33   Link #38
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
According to Apple the 720p requirements are in line with what would be considered reasonable for a low end PC by todays standard.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide...endations.html. Now from our time in the tech forum I've heard of very few (if any) people running PC's with lower specs than this. Most I've come across are running the last gen p4/Athlon's or Dual cores.
I know its kinda late but seeing those specs makes me go lol. Talk about ancient specs for my computer.
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 00:33   Link #39
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
I'd like to correct myself. I shouldn't comment on this stuff anyway since I'm not an encoder ;p
But the transport stream was encoded in 1440x1080. However, it seems that if you actually play it, it can resize to 16:9, since the 1440 is deformed or whatever.
So yeah, it would result in a 1080 release.
However, sources tell us it's an upscale.
It should be 1080p anamorphic, just like DVD usually encoded at 720x480 but played at 16:9 or 2.3:1 aspect ratio. The player would resize from the encoded resolution to the correct aspect ratio without performance impact.

Anyway I'm watching from TV-Japan RAW with MPlayer 1.0rc2 (support multicore decoding for h264), ffdshow-tryout from mid-september 2007 snapshot should work too. In dual core T5600 laptop it eats 20-70% CPU per core in 1.0GHz speed (I'm using conservative power management mode that only kick the speed to 1.8GHz when cpu usage above 80%)

I have to admit watching Gundam 00 from RAW is a challenge to improve my japanese. I can only understand about 30% and must often look at dictionary. While school themed anime or even Romeo X Juliet I can understand 80-90% without looking at dictionary.

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence

Last edited by kucigaromeo; 2007-10-25 at 00:34. Reason: completing info
kucigaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 09:18   Link #40
Anavel
Sieg Zeon!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to Anavel Send a message via MSN to Anavel Send a message via Yahoo to Anavel
How many fansubs are there so far? Just 3?

And I just remembered something. I think Nyoro might have done the same thing to Gurren Lagann. When I was watching their fansubs, somethings didn't make sense, and occasionally swearing would be used.