AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-09, 14:37   Link #1
DanielSong39

Which studio has the most rabid fanbase?

Candidates:

Kyoto Animation - the king of moe; wonderful eye candy. Suzumiya Haruhi, in particular, is noted for its fervent fanbase and equally bitter detractors.

J.C. Staff - known for its quirky comedy, character interactions, and tan-based color pallets. Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile in particular seem to be eagerly supported... but a bit of an acquired taste, perhaps?

Sunrise - One word - Gundam. Enough said.

There are a lot of good studios out there but these three seem to really stand out in terms of fanaticism. Feel free to add your own suggestions.

FYI, my favorite is Nippon Animation (World Masterpiece Theater works) - but it just doesn't have an energetic fanbase.
Old 2007-10-09, 15:55   Link #2
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Well, I think KyoAni fans are the most annoying. I don't know about how RABID they are. I mean, they're pretty fervent about defending their shows, but they are open to other series.

Sunrise/Gundam fans are much less annoying, but usually like ONLY Gundam series. See what I mean?
Old 2007-10-09, 16:01   Link #3
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I'd say Kyoto Animation, since it's the newest of these studios to really pick up a devoted fanbase, so it's currently riding a surge of dark horse popularity (well, no longer dark horse, but...). It also seems to have picked up the greatest new share of anti-fans in recent years, or at least vocal ones. At the very least, they seem to have quite a rabid anti-fan group as well. And since they only come out with just one or two new shows each year, you can bet there will be quite a bit of attention over each one, as the fanbase would not be spread as thin over so many series. Then again, they do currently possess several very popular franchises, which also seem to split the fanbase on occassion, lol.

And this is coming from a Kyoto Animation fan, too, lol.
Old 2007-10-09, 16:21   Link #4
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

I heard that gundam fans can be a nuisance to some people's career (see Yukana), that much power coming from a fanbase is scary.
Old 2007-10-09, 18:34   Link #5
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi Send a message via Skype™ to Seishi
Kyoto Animation in recent years, but Sunrise historically. Also, note that I <3 both these studios. KyoAni I have some issues with (expensive licensing), but a lot of their fans seem to overlook it anyway. Sunrise has GUNDAM GUNDAM, but they've also done so many other awesome shows that aren't talked about as much, such as Escaflowne.

Also, Sunrise is my favourite studio.
Old 2007-10-09, 19:10   Link #6
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Sunrise does have lot of rabid fans because of Gundam, and these Gundam fans are kinda divide into two group, UC fans and CE fans. Of course KyoAni does have lot of rabid fan because of Haruhi and Lucky Star. I personally like Sunrise for Gundam and my favorite show GaoGaiGar. Also what about Gainix? it seems that lot of people love their show but hate the studio, is that some what true?
Old 2007-10-09, 19:28   Link #7
7Th
Mixtape

KyoAni and Sunrise.
Old 2007-10-09, 20:16   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

Gainax but KyoAni have been on the rise lately. I really wouldn't say Sunrise either, the vast majority of their Gundam fans would ignore something like Zegapain.
Old 2007-10-09, 20:33   Link #9
~ Lawliet ~

KyoAni without a doubt.
Old 2007-10-09, 20:44   Link #10
BakaOnna

Definitely KyoAni... to the point where any adaption that's considered not good by fans will get branded as "must be redone by KyoAni." Annoying, to say the least.

I've never been into the Gundam franchise so I don't know about Sunrise. All I heard is they have a tendency to revive their dead characters.
Old 2007-10-09, 20:55   Link #11
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Gainax, even after 12 years, is still pulling in the money with Eva and it's not like Gundam where there have been multiple universes.
Old 2007-10-09, 21:15   Link #12
Thingle
Banned

Production IG. I am a rabid fan of theirs.
Old 2007-10-09, 21:21   Link #13
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
I'm surprised no one brought up Studio Ghibli (aka The House That Miyazaki Built).... It may not have what one would call a "rabid" fanbase, but lets not pretend like anything the studio puts out isn't the most talked about thing in anime up to its release.

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
Old 2007-10-09, 21:26   Link #14
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruz1014 View Post
I'm surprised no one brought up Studio Ghibli (aka The House That Miyazaki Built).... It may not have what one would call a "rabid" fanbase, but lets not pretend like anything the studio puts out isn't the most talked about thing in anime up to its release.
I'm even surprised no one mentioned BONES yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternalBrain View Post
Production IG. I am a rabid fan of theirs.
Yeah boy! Production I.G. rules. I love Ghost in the Shell: SAC. My soon to be favorite, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit.
Old 2007-10-09, 22:12   Link #15
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Don't tell me all of you forgot BONES

FMA, Ouran, Wolf's rain, Eureka 7, Scrapped princess, Darker than black
none of those clicked? none?!

wooops, XD
fanbase wise, i would say kyo-ani anti-fanbase wise, i would still say kyo-ani (in japan atleast)

^ Touhoues for president. ^
Chinese Saimoe 08 Congradulations to C.C. and Shana for winning Chinese Saimoe 08

Last edited by cicido; 2007-10-09 at 23:01.
Old 2007-10-09, 22:27   Link #16
DanielSong39

The point of the thread isn't to discuss the quality of the studio, but rather the nature of the fanbase.

Bones is a quality studio - but the question is, does it have its share of fanatics? You know, the people who paint their face and bodies blue and show up shirtless in a game with freezing temperatures?
Old 2007-10-09, 23:19   Link #17
-Breakthrough-

KyoAni -- Haruhi, Air, Kanon, Clannad, Lucky Star.

Sunrise -- GUNDAM and Code Geass.
Old 2007-10-09, 23:29   Link #18
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

As said before, Kyoto Animation, historically Sunrise.

The amount of bastiching over "mah first animu" is outrageous. Take Gainax v. Sunrise...Evangelion is a decent show, Bebop is a good show, neither is outstanding - yet the fans of both shows are so destructively violent and defensive when it comes to criticism and both go at each others throats.

Now, imagine all this magnified by ten. That's Kyoto Animation's situation right now - people like their shows simply on brand-name.
Old 2007-10-09, 23:53   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
The point of the thread isn't to discuss the quality of the studio, but rather the nature of the fanbase.
I'm rather missing the point of this exercise. What difference does it make how rabid a studio's fans are? Other than giving people a chance to say "Kyo!" "No, Bones!" "No, Sunrise!" Since you're the OP, Daniel, perhaps you can tell us why you asked this question in the first place?
Old 2007-10-10, 02:21   Link #20
Branduil
Typesetter
*Fansubber

KyoAni, Gainax, and Sunrise, in no particular order.
Closed Thread