AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 26 13.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 27.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 61 32.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 34 17.99%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 5.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.53%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-15, 08:51   Link #281
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
We'll have to wait and see, don't we?
As far as we know, there's not even a need for artillery if the AEU and Union exclusively rely on air to ground battles.

As for the HMMWV, good analogy, though my original point still stands.
I don't see what's the point of that statement. The argument that was made that in comparison to the aerial mobile suits was that the Tieren still can fill other roles. Especially the ground pounding unit. It uses more than simply a machine gun and a blade.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 09:42   Link #282
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I don't see what's the point of that statement. The argument that was made that in comparison to the aerial mobile suits was that the Tieren still can fill other roles. Especially the ground pounding unit. It uses more than simply a machine gun and a blade.
Simple. If you can perform some roles efficiently enough, you can negate others. The end result is still the same--you kill enemy mobile suits.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 10:08   Link #283
firestingerx

yep totally agree. love the weapons-attachment on the gundam. but they're a little scary, Celestial Being. I mean, they actually fought off both warring sides... what if the Celestial Being took action at a point in time when the aggressor's victim overpowers the aggressor themselves...wouldn't that bring more harm

but nice storyline comin our way , anyway
firestingerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 13:59   Link #284
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Ahh so it begins the negative rep over personal opinions. Usually I keep pretty quiet but.............. Look and its happen to numerous people here, this is not directed at everyone. If you disagree with someones opinion over their post that is your right respect others opinions and respond accordingly the Rep system which has been stated so many times its hurts is not meant to settle disputes over opinions of the show. If you have a disagreement back it up with facts and state your side. STOP ABUSING THE PRIVLEDGE again its not directed at everyone its mainly for the narrow minded who can dish it but cant take it.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2007-10-15 at 14:11.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 14:47   Link #285
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I was not super impressed with this episode but im cutting a lot of slack since its still early in the series. I did however the talk about the particles interesting and what exactly powers the Gundams. As always now that high tech machines have appeared each corp is going to do everything they can to get a hold of one. I have no doubt that we will at least see 1 or 2 Gundams later down the road from each Corp.

I was actually surprised that Celestial Being made there 2nd move so fast and in a pretty hot firezone. Again the religous undertones piss me off but its not like i cant live with it as long as it does not overshadow the true plot or hinder progression in the story. Right now it seems like all fighting is one sideded none of the other groups have any MS that can touch a Gundam. So the fighitng is not that awinspriing to me given how weak the others are.

I see potential in the series if it avoids some of the mistakes GSD made but since GUndam is always geared towards the same auidence it might be hard to overcome that since going in a different direction might be seen as unsafe and hurt profits in DVD sales later on. Studios stick to pretty much what they know will sale even if running the risk of being repetitive.
In all honesty, I think the nations just have no Counter-Gundam plan in place. Either overwhelming force or better technology will probably make up the difference. So far I haven't really seen any indication that this series follows Seed logic where if an entire platoon of 50+ mobile suits came at the Gundams they would get blown to smithereens. It's just that right now the Gundam's are fighting limited numbers of troops, in formation, with better intelligence and experience, with full flight capability that the other units lack AND with the element of surprise thanks to the GN Particles. It pays to be prepared, which is what the HRA, Union and AEU will need to be.

I realize that I keep reiterating this point, but I don't think anybody is really considering or addressing it. I hope somebody will add to it or improve it or at least something.

I'll also lay out the different kinds of armor and shielding we've seen in Gundam so people aren't confused:

Universal Century:

Gundarium: The standard for all mobile suits post OYW. Can hold up to Vulcan and some small projectile fire, but not to beam weaponary or heavy projectiles like Bazooka's and missiles. One well placed beamshot is usually enough to wipe it out.

Anti-Beam Coating: Does nothing like what the name says. Instead makes a unit look shinier. A scam product that seems to only protect against near misses.

I (Ionesco)-Field Barrier: Projects a latice field that dissipates minovsky particles, including those in beam weaponary, up to a certain density. Does not guard against immediate and up close attacks.

Beam Shield: A small compact shield that acts like a miniature I-Field Barrier and can also cut.

After Colony:

Gundanium Alloy: Plot Armor

Cosmic Era:

Phase Shift Armor: I'm not sure of the actual science behind this despite the fact I've seen the whole series and studied the technology, but it somehow seems to shrug off projectile based weapons fire when it's up. I'm guessing it vibrates or something to dull the impact of the blast, but I'm not sure.

Whatever The Akatsuki Thing Has: Invincibility to all beam weaponary and can even reflect it back at the unit attacking.

Mirage Collioid: Small cameras around the whole body of the unit calculate and project the image of what is on the opposite side of a unit to to small monitors on the side of the unit one sees, rendering it all but invisible to far away units.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-10-15 at 15:12.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 15:42   Link #286
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
snip
Fail in several categories.

UC Anti-beam coating: what the Hyaku Shiki and V2 Assault have. ablative armor can dissipate a few beam shots, but wears off with each one.

UC Beam shield: a flat beam saber. can be forcibly cut through with beam sabers, or penetrated with VSBR.

CE Phase shift armor, Trans-phase armor, etc: uses energy to increase the durability of metal dramatically. shrugs off solid impacts, but no protection against energy weapons. also causes all metal coatings to fall off, hence those with PS armor are usually left unpainted, and Akatsuki cannot use this.

CE Reflective anti-beam coating: can reflect or dispel all energy weapons, even "positron" beams, back at arbitrary angles, and does not wear off.

CE Laminated armor: ablative armor with multiple layers. good for warships, too heavy for mobile suits. similar to UC anti-beam coating, except not gold.

CE Lightwave shield: an energy shield, but cannot cause damage like UC beam shields.

CE Mirage Colloid: is a particle with optical effects, not tiny cameras! can be used to cloak (Blitz, Gertie Lu, Genesis) or spread afterimages (Destiny).
justsomeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 15:44   Link #287
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
In all honesty, I think the nations just have no Counter-Gundam plan in place. Either overwhelming force or better technology will probably make up the difference. So far I haven't really seen any indication that this series follows Seed logic where if an entire platoon of 50+ mobile suits came at the Gundams they would get blown to smithereens. It's just that right now the Gundam's are fighting limited numbers of troops, in formation, with better intelligence and experience, with full flight capability that the other units lack AND with the element of surprise thanks to the GN Particles. It pays to be prepared, which is what the HRA, Union and AEU will need to be.

I realize that I keep reiterating this point, but I don't think anybody is really considering or addressing it. I hope somebody will add to it or improve it or at least something.

I'll also lay out the different kinds of armor and shielding we've seen in Gundam so people aren't confused:

Universal Century:

Gundarium: The standard for all mobile suits post OYW. Can hold up to Vulcan and some small projectile fire, but not to beam weaponary or heavy projectiles like Bazooka's and missiles. One well placed beamshot is usually enough to wipe it out.

Anti-Beam Coating: Does nothing like what the name says. Instead makes a unit look shinier. A scam product that seems to only protect against near misses.

I (Ionesco)-Field Barrier: Projects a latice field that dissipates minovsky particles, including those in beam weaponary, up to a certain density. Does not guard against immediate and up close attacks.

Beam Shield: A small compact shield that acts like a miniature I-Field Barrier and can also cut.

After Colony:

Gundanium Alloy: Plot Armor

Cosmic Era:

Phase Shift Armor: I'm not sure of the actual science behind this despite the fact I've seen the whole series and studied the technology, but it somehow seems to shrug off projectile based weapons fire when it's up. I'm guessing it vibrates or something to dull the impact of the blast, but I'm not sure.

Whatever The Akatsuki Thing Has: Invincibility to all beam weaponary and can even reflect it back at the unit attacking.

Mirage Collioid: Small cameras around the whole body of the unit calculate and project the image of what is on the opposite side of a unit to to small monitors on the side of the unit one sees, rendering it all but invisible to far away units.
I understand where your coming from and majority of your statements i agree with. I was just negaitive and positive factors of what i have observed about the series so far. I still think it has great potential (enen though to some people its still not enough)

Honestly one can not prepare for the unknown. There have been numerous Gundams where the enemy was not prepared for the sheer power of facing a Gundam even large military standing forces. Ask you self would you rather 10,000 averge trained soldiers or would you rather 5,000 high skilled ones? At the moment there is no counter for the Gundam's that doesnt mean it will stay that way we have a long way to go.

I even stated in my post its one sided at the moment which is why i was not excited about the over all fighting because i knew how it would end. Technology is key in any war and intellgience the Gundam Meisters have both and they are well prepared for the fight. I do think your post was informitive and you back up your statments with facts. So far i have not seen any indications of Seed logic either which is why i am enjoying it a little bit better that i did Seed. I just hope it remains that way.
Old 2007-10-15, 16:22   Link #288
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

IIRC, what Anti-Beam Coating is supposed to do is absorb/slow down the beam enough so that if the MS is moving at an angle, it can get away before the beam goes through the whole armor.
Old 2007-10-15, 16:44   Link #289
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Quote:
Cosmic Era:
Phase Shift Armor
Whatever The Akatsuki Thing Has
Mirage Collioid
There is also the "positron deflector shield" on the Zamza-Zah that can block anything. It makes the unit extra strong in the VS game.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 16:49   Link #290
Not_At

I’m really liking 00, so far…as a Political Science major, just the fact that they’re making it political makes me happy…..but I kind of understand why ZeusIrae is upset. Making Gundam topical and tied into to current events is cool. But they do NOT want to cross some lines here.

For example, if they’re all “LOL LET’S SAVE DARFUR” and go in and stop an African genocide with Gundams, I think I’ll quit watching out of principle. I mean, there are some things you just don’t throw into an anime as a side note. Ethnic conflict is one of thing, but if they try to stop a genocide, it’ll just seem disrespectful. I don’t think they’ll go that far though.

I’m also going to stop watching if that HRL pilot with the grey hair turns out to be a guy. Enough is enough, Japanese Toy Execs must be a bunch of sexist bastards….but I have hope that she’ll be a girl.

But anyway, I thought the battles in this ep were great, especially before the Gundams got there. The Tierens vs Workloader battle was very realistic and well chereographed... It seemed like a battle that could actually happen in real life, 100 years from now – kind of like the Aires vs Leo battles in Wing. (I think 300 years is a little too far in the future, so I just pretend that 00 takes places in the 2100s.)

I actually liked it a little less when the Gundams showed up, but they still managed to pwn everyone without being stupid like in Destiny.

Last edited by Not_At; 2007-10-15 at 17:10.
Not_At is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 17:01   Link #291
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_At View Post
I’m also going to stop watching if that HRL pilot with the grey hair turns out to be a girl. Enough is enough, Japanese Toy Execs must be a bunch of sexist bastards….but I have hope that she’ll be a girl.
Huh? You'll stop watching if it's a girl but you hope it's a girl?
Old 2007-10-15, 17:27   Link #292
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Fail in several categories.

UC Anti-beam coating: what the Hyaku Shiki and V2 Assault have. ablative armor can dissipate a few beam shots, but wears off with each one.

UC Beam shield: a flat beam saber. can be forcibly cut through with beam sabers, or penetrated with VSBR.

CE Phase shift armor, Trans-phase armor, etc: uses energy to increase the durability of metal dramatically. shrugs off solid impacts, but no protection against energy weapons. also causes all metal coatings to fall off, hence those with PS armor are usually left unpainted, and Akatsuki cannot use this.

CE Reflective anti-beam coating: can reflect or dispel all energy weapons, even "positron" beams, back at arbitrary angles, and does not wear off.

CE Laminated armor: ablative armor with multiple layers. good for warships, too heavy for mobile suits. similar to UC anti-beam coating, except not gold.

CE Lightwave shield: an energy shield, but cannot cause damage like UC beam shields.

CE Mirage Colloid: is a particle with optical effects, not tiny cameras! can be used to cloak (Blitz, Gertie Lu, Genesis) or spread afterimages (Destiny).
Wait, how is that much different from what I said.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 17:32   Link #293
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Simple. If you can perform some roles efficiently enough, you can negate others. The end result is still the same--you kill enemy mobile suits.
Well to each his own.

In the end the Enact, Flag, and Teiren are going to be replaced one way or the other. How we'll see.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 18:10   Link #294
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
If they do to the Gelgoog and Dom with a new unit what they did to the Zaku with the Tierien

this show will have too much awesome to exist.

Thus it cannot happen.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 19:34   Link #295
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
That's the Yata-no-Kagami anti-beam system... That's actually a layer of small mirrors coated on the MS.

CE's anti-beam coating is not the Yata-no-Kagami... It exist long before that as the coating that's used on the mobile suit shields ONLY. They can dissipate smaller sized beams and block beam sabers, but larger beams will damage/destroy the shield.

Quote:
They can also be used to bend beams ala Forbidden Gundam, that's known as the Geschmeidig Panzer armor.

BTW, does the ZZ Gundam have anti-beam coating too? It seems to be able to dissipate beam quite well, as seen here (it takes the entire beam from the Hamma Hamma without getting damage at all).
Old 2007-10-15, 19:49   Link #296
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
you can actually see shells bouncing off virtue as it prepares to fire. That to me is alarming.
Dude, Gundams by their very nature are supped up Mobile Suits (Always morso to some degree than mass-produced ones)...Some shells bouncing off it's hardened exterior shouldn't cause alarm...But the day a positron cannon at close range shoots Virtue in the chest to head area and that pilot survives and calls himself Neo in the next series where it all happens AGAIN, then you can worry...
Old 2007-10-15, 19:53   Link #297
Commander 598
Zeonic

Send a message via AIM to Commander 598
Uhh, since when did UC's ABC require the unit in question be "gold"? By CCA or F91 all physical shields had it, and they weren't gold. That aside, just about everything with ABC that was ever "hit" with a beam weapon promptly became violent explosion.

The Tierens are a bit too Btechy, granted something like them is what I would expect if ANY faction in Btech ever got their head out of their *** and actually started producing sensible designs. The thing is probably walking death by Btech standards. 120 tons, heavy autocannons, melee weapons, no exposed cockpits.

Quote:
Dude, Gundams by their very nature are supped up Mobile Suits (Always morso to some degree than mass-produced ones)...Some shells bouncing off it's hardened exterior shouldn't cause alarm...But the day a positron cannon at close range shoots Virtue in the chest to head area and that pilot survives and calls himself Neo in the next series where it all happens AGAIN, then you can worry...
Lets not forget that Virtue is probably the most heavily armored machine in universe at this point as well.
Old 2007-10-15, 20:03   Link #298
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

This was an awesome episode. Even though it didn't show the transforming animation for Kyrios, I still loved all the clips with it.

Anyone here are my thoughts onthe new Haro.
Whats wrong with it? its a little annoying but its not too bad.

And i dont think it's useless. I think since Lockon is a sniper, it serves as his partner or whatever. kind of like how Sniper Wolf from Metal Gear had a wolf to warn her if anyone got to close. If he's looking through that scope, he'll need that Haro to warn him or move the gundam around for him.
Old 2007-10-15, 20:10   Link #299
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Edge View Post
This was an awesome episode. Even though it didn't show the transforming animation for Kyrios, I still loved all the clips with it.

Anyone here are my thoughts onthe new Haro.
Whats wrong with it? its a little annoying but its not too bad.

And i dont think it's useless. I think since Lockon is a sniper, it serves as his partner or whatever. kind of like how Sniper Wolf from Metal Gear had a wolf to warn her if anyone got to close. If he's looking through that scope, he'll need that Haro to warn him or move the gundam around for him.

Yea, what's so bad about the new haro? It's a badass haro. Instead of jumping around spewing nonsense all day, it actually helps piloting the gundam AND spewing nonsense. Lockon even said, "I'll leave the piloting to you Haro"
Old 2007-10-15, 20:12   Link #300
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander 598 View Post
Uhh, since when did UC's ABC require the unit in question be "gold"? By CCA or F91 all physical shields had it, and they weren't gold. That aside, just about everything with ABC that was ever "hit" with a beam weapon promptly became violent explosion.

The Tierens are a bit too Btechy, granted something like them is what I would expect if ANY faction in Btech ever got their head out of their *** and actually started producing sensible designs. The thing is probably walking death by Btech standards. 120 tons, heavy autocannons, melee weapons, no exposed cockpits.

Lets not forget that Virtue is probably the most heavily armored machine in universe at this point as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Exia's physical swords are mentioned in the model kit to somehow make use of GN Particles to enhance them to the point where its actually superior to its beam sabers.
Looking at what Village said, I wonder if the GN particle does anything to the armor? And looking at armor, Exia's shield seems to be tough as Virtue's armor. After it got hit by that shot from Tieren there wasn't any mark or anything.