AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-10-21, 15:11   Link #21
MarlinBeta

Related Problem

I'm having a similar playback problem with h264. I have the most recent CCCP installed and I'm playing using either Zoomplayer and Media Player Classic interchangeably. My OS is XP and I can play Xvid files on all the players on my computer without problems.

However, h264 works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't work. It seems to be a problem dependent on file size. I'm in a similar situation as Marioshinobi where I have an older computer with an integrated graphics card. It's a Dell Dimension 4600 that I bought back in 2004. I have 1.5 Gig RAM.

However, my playback problem doesn't involve any kind of error message. The video for the mkv files simply lags behind the audio. When I start playing the file, the video and audio are synchronized perfectly, but as the file continues to play, the video slows down and the audio continues at normal speeds. The video and audio never skip or cause any other kind of error aside from the unsynchronized video.

I'm pretty sure it's the graphics card because that's what some of my friends think. Does anyone else have any opinions?
Old 2007-10-21, 15:43   Link #22
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I think your CPU is simply not powerful enough to handle h264 decoding. My machine is an old one and until I installed the CoreAVC codec the video lagged behind the audio with most h264 encoded files, now it does it only with high resolution files. So, the solution is to either buy a new CPU or try CoreAVC which is not freeware, though.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 01:31   Link #23
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinBeta View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the graphics card because that's what some of my friends think. Does anyone else have any opinions?
As of this point in time, no graphics card will have a major impact on your video playback unless you're using an ancient setup and would be migrating to a more modern graphics card ("modern" including a GeForce 3, which isn't very modern at all). Newer graphics cards claim to be able to aid in H.264 decoding, but they won't do anything unless you're using a program that can utilize that. Aside from DVD player software, which is not ideal to play fansubs (if you can get it to do anything at all), I do not believe that any software can utilize it.

As of now, the rough order of importance of computer components is 1) Processor, 2) RAM, 3) graphics card. The processor would by far have the largest impact; the others would likely have little to no impact.
Old 2007-10-22, 01:57   Link #24
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Is this your PC?
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/del...-30529709.html

For 720p H.264 I'd use this as rough guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...hoosingpc.aspx
(note: these requirements are not for MKV files just 720p h.264)

Ok I think you're alright to play that stuff but your PC is at the bottom end of the scale in terms of hardware, for the High Definition h.264 playback (no offense). Try optimising your PC for performance by doing this. It looks as though it's struggling to decode both streams at the same time. Seeing as you can get both Audio and video to work although sluggishly, freeing up some system resources should help

This might help

Click start->Control Panel->System->Advanced-> there should be a menu performance->settings->a pop up will appear, click on "adjust for best performance" and apply changes. What this will do is turn off all the eyecandy, this will free up some system resources and hopefully that will help sync issues.

Or alternatively get releases that don't use 1280x720 resolution. Stick with releases that are around 700x400 for example

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-10-22 at 02:11.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 08:27   Link #25
MarlinBeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Is this your PC?
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/del...-30529709.html

For 720p H.264 I'd use this as rough guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...hoosingpc.aspx
(note: these requirements are not for MKV files just 720p h.264)

Ok I think you're alright to play that stuff but your PC is at the bottom end of the scale in terms of hardware, for the High Definition h.264 playback (no offense). Try optimising your PC for performance by doing this. It looks as though it's struggling to decode both streams at the same time. Seeing as you can get both Audio and video to work although sluggishly, freeing up some system resources should help

This might help

Click start->Control Panel->System->Advanced-> there should be a menu performance->settings->a pop up will appear, click on "adjust for best performance" and apply changes. What this will do is turn off all the eyecandy, this will free up some system resources and hopefully that will help sync issues.

Or alternatively get releases that don't use 1280x720 resolution. Stick with releases that are around 700x400 for example
Yeah, that's my PC. I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. I think it made things go a little more smoothly, but not by enough to really make playback of h264 files possible. All the same, thanks for the tips. My computer is performing a lot better in other areas, now. ^_^
Old 2007-10-22, 10:25   Link #26
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Ok so still struggling? Can you do something for me? Click start -> Run and type dxdiag. A new popup should appear, just ok it. Next to the subject "processor", what does it say? Apparently there were a few different versions of the Dimension 4600 so I'd like to make sure it is up to spec, some came with 2.2ghz P4's going all the way to 3.0ghz P4's .

If you are looking to upgrade do as Ledgem suggested. However due to the age of your PC it may only take socket 478 CPU's from a quick google search unfortunately, and if that's correct that limits your upgrade path and probably doesn't make it worth it. Although some versions were apparently socket 775 which gives you a few more options at a fairly reasonable price but it depends on a couple of other factors as well.

So if you can get us more info we can give you a clearer picture

A Video Card won't really help all that much and you have plenty of RAM to deal with it.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
Old 2007-10-23, 01:00   Link #27
problemedchild
_

I'm starting to think something else besides CPU is the culprit here. I just ran Gundam 00 episode 2 (the high end 350MB) by Conclave-Mendoi on a 2.4 GHZ P4 with 768 MB of RAM without a single skip. Granted, it was on a 1024x768 monitor......
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 03:05   Link #28
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
I'm starting to think something else besides CPU is the culprit here. I just ran Gundam 00 episode 2 (the high end 350MB) by Conclave-Mendoi on a 2.4 GHZ P4 with 768 MB of RAM without a single skip. Granted, it was on a 1024x768 monitor......
Encoder used settings... And monitor resolution has nothing to do with that.
Old 2007-10-23, 03:22   Link #29
problemedchild
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Encoder used settings... And monitor resolution has nothing to do with that.
The point is, that most people here see a P4 and automatically assume it's not enough to decode H.264..... I was able to play both Sola and Gundam 00 with a P4.

I'm not familiar with upscaling, but you're telling me that upscaling doesn't use up any CPU cycles at all?
Old 2007-10-23, 09:11   Link #30
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

High end P4 around the 3.0ghz variants should definitely run 720p h.264. But CPU usage will be high, 80% plus. Lower pentium processors become a gamble. Forget multi tasking, it's just not going to happen. Even simple background tasks such as Bittorrent clients will just max it out on op of h.264 decodes. You have to run a fairly light system in terms of resource use. From what I've seen problemchild is very tech savvy and probably has tweaked his o/s for best performance.
Old 2007-10-24, 03:29   Link #31
problemedchild
_

Quote:
High end P4 around the 3.0ghz variants should definitely run 720p h.264. But CPU usage will be high, 80% plus. Lower pentium processors become a gamble. Forget multi tasking, it's just not going to happen. Even simple background tasks such as Bittorrent clients will just max it out on op of h.264 decodes. You have to run a fairly light system in terms of resource use. From what I've seen problemchild is very tech savvy and probably has tweaked his o/s for best performance.
You would be correct in assuming that the CPU usage is extremely high on a P4. The 2.4 GHZ P4 I ran the Gundam 00 file on was constantly at 100%. As far as tweaking goes, it's just a Dell installed copy of Windows XP Home Edition. Just took out some of the bloatware that came with it.

From what I've seen, a 2.4 GHZ Northwood B can play H.264 files, but only if it's light on bloatware. Forget about multi-tasking on it though, else you'd be lagging to kingdom come.
Old 2007-10-24, 03:46   Link #32
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

yeah hat's what I meant, you and I know what the bloatware is. It's easy for us to squeeze a little bit more performance easily.

I'm running a 1.7 centrino (roughly equivalent to a P4 2.8) I'm averaging 85% with XP SP2 stripped of the bloatware on the Mendoi Gundam 00 1280x720 h.264 release.
Old 2007-10-24, 07:34   Link #33
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
I'm running a 1.7 centrino (roughly equivalent to a P4 2.8) I'm averaging 85% with XP SP2 stripped of the bloatware on the Mendoi Gundam 00 1280x720 h.264 release.
1.4GHz here, running in mplayer and I get an average of around 80%. Not like it's a good measure, but for this purpose it serves fine.

Back to your response. Yes, running in fullscreen will probably take more CPU cycles, however this is the job of the renderer and not the decoder (which in this regard takes many more CPU cycles than the former). Furthermore if one has a slow system and barely plays these files, and notices that when playing in fullscreen it goes even slower, he/she will not do that (that is if they mind stuttering).
Old 2007-10-26, 22:11   Link #34
zetsumei

I'm having problem playing [m.3.3.w] Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun h264 720p 1280x720 and can't figure out why. Was wondering what could be the reason for it. My comp play [SS-Eclipse] Shakugan no Shana Second (1280x720 h264), [Ayako]_Minami-ke_-_01_H264, and other h264 just fine but with [m.3.3.w] Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun h264 720p 1280x720 everything is really lagging and the video and audio is really out of sync with each other.
Old 2007-11-17, 10:10   Link #35
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

zetsumei, as far as I know, Ninomiya isn't even airing in HD, so you might as well go for the smaller encode. I also have problems with the 720p encode, even though I have no problems with other 720p encodes.

You could try the following, though:
If you have CCCP - Use MPC. Go to the options, and make sure the video output is set to Overlay Mixer. Then, allow MPC to have higher process priority from the options.
If you also have CoreAVC - If the video isn't still working properly after the previous actions, you could try turning deblocking and deinterlacing off from the CoreAVC configuration.

Oh, and if you are using Firefox, close it before you start to watch.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 14:58   Link #36
B-kun

I have problems running 720P H.264 on my laptop. [Ayu] Zero no Tsukaima - Futasuki no Kishi works fine on my laptop, but all other 720P H.264 files fall way out of sync. The audio moves along just fine, but the video lags and studders behind the audio like nobody's business. I'm running a 2.0GHz P4 with 256MB of RAM (Yes, I know. That's horrible) and an ATI RADEON IGP 340M.
Old 2007-11-17, 16:10   Link #37
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

B-kun, see the post above your.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 16:22   Link #38
B-kun

Heh, sorry about that. I just read a few posts and then replied. The errors of a newbie! Anyway, I read the post, did some work and concluded that I just need a new PC (I have a 3 year old Compaq Evo N1020v).
Old 2007-11-20, 18:32   Link #39
lazyasian224
Woot Eclair is a hottie
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to lazyasian224
Havin trouble playing 1280x720 h264 .mkv files

Okay so im having some trouble playing Shakugan no Shana Second and Gundam 00. Everything will be pretty much fine from the begining but then the video begins to slow down and the audio keeps going. I have a custom made computer. Here's my system properties:

-my video card is a e-GeForce 7600 GT video card
-i usually use Windows Media player >.< (don't kill me), but i tried closing all programs and just running Zoom and MPC and they dont work either
-and if the problem is my processer, where and how do i upgrade it?
Old 2007-11-20, 20:36   Link #40
Ledgem
Love Yourself

It's almost certain that the problem is with your processor. Upgrading it may be a bit of a pain. You're using an Athlon XP, which I believe is a "Socket A" processor. Socket A is no longer in use by AMD. It was replaced by Socket 754 (of which some processors are still around), which was replaced by Socket 939 (more processors are available), which was replaced by AM2 (this is the current standard), which is being replaced by AM2+, which will lead to AM3.

If you didn't care for any of that, know this: you can only use processors that match your motherboard. As I mentioned, you have a Socket A motherboard, or at best, a Socket 754 (my internet is extremely slow at the moment so I can't google to check it for you). So you're limited to processors in that range. If you're a Socket A, don't bother - even the best Socket A chip won't be able to play these back properly.

In order to get a more recent chip you'll need to upgrade your motherboard. This can be a bit of a pain, because it may involve upgrading many more components - your RAM likely won't be compatible, so you'll need to buy new RAM. It's also likely that you're using an AGP-based graphics card - AGP was phased out in favor of PCI-E[xpress], so you'd need to buy a new graphics card, too, unless your motherboard had built-in graphics support and you could get by on that.

Basically, you may end up essentially rebuilding your computer. It's not as bad as it sounds if you're comfortable with working inside of your system, but the expense may be a bit more than you were planning on.