AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-14, 22:37   Link #21
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
I personally prefer character development over mecha action. It's a bore when a show becomes slave to the mecha elements and has to have akward character encounters between people in closed off cockpits who can't see each other.

I honestly want something like Geass, with unlikely encounters outside of the battlefield (even if they're only every once and awhile). But the recent AU shows haven't really done that to a level that pleases me, so I suppose I'm not hoping for much other than moderately well written mech battles.
Yay, someone actually cares about character developments and hates doornobs.
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 22:44   Link #22
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
I personally prefer character development over mecha action. It's a bore when a show becomes slave to the mecha elements and has to have akward character encounters between people in closed off cockpits who can't see each other.

I honestly want something like Geass, with unlikely encounters outside of the battlefield (even if they're only every once and awhile). But the recent AU shows haven't really done that to a level that pleases me, so I suppose I'm not hoping for much other than moderately well written mech battles.
Yes, Yes and a triple Yes!!!!

Code Geass was amazing. I'm hoping for more of the same in the second season.

Code Geass restored my faith in the Mecha Genre after Macross Zero, IdolM@ster Xenoglossia and Gundam SEED Destiny had nearly destroyed it.

The director is a total newb to Gundam, at least that's what I've been told. Maybe he could take the franchise into a very unconventional new direction.....

....that hopefully is not in the direction Fuduka took it.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 22:50   Link #23
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Yes, Yes and a triple Yes!!!!

Code Geass was amazing. I'm hoping for more of the same in the second season.

Code Geass restored my faith in the Mecha Genre after Macross Zero, IdolM@ster Xenoglossia and Gundam SEED Destiny had nearly destroyed it.

The director is a total newb to Gundam, at least that's what I've been told. Maybe he could take the franchise into a very unconventional new direction.....

....that hopefully is not in the direction Fuduka took it.
What's so bad about Macross zero?
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 22:58   Link #24
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
The director is a total newb to Gundam, at least that's what I've been told. Maybe he could take the franchise into a very unconventional new direction.....

....that hopefully is not in the direction Fuduka took it.
Seiji Mizushima directed the Full Metal Alchemist anime. more interesting is the writer is Yousuke Kuroda, of Infinite Ryvius fame.

but of course there's no absolutes, so nothing to do and sit a watch what happens.
__________________
Memento mori
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:08   Link #25
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
What's so bad about Macross zero?
It's awful character development. I guess it's because they only had 5 episodes to work with.

At first Sara hated Shin, then after 30 minutes she liked him, then 20 minutes later she was trying to kill him, and finally he and she were in love with each other. It felt awfully rushed by the end and left me unsatisfied.

I watched Macross Zero right after I had finished watching the far superior Macross Plus OVA so that might explain it.

I think that's it. Macross Plus was such a superior product in the character and plot development than Macross Zero.

I found the original SDF Macross boring and just plain outdated.

I like old anime, but that was just too old for my tastes. Yes I did watch the English Harmony Gold dub as a kid and did enjoy watching it during the weekdays. The Japanese dub didn't hold my interest.

I'm hoping that Gundam 00 will be more like Code Geass and 08th MS Team and less like Gundam Wing and SEED Destiny.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:11   Link #26
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cehack View Post
I would honestly rather have the characters come first and the mecha come second. I feel that Turn A Gundam did this, and it's my favourite in the franchise.
Seconded.

Still, please don't turn Gundam00 into a Geass-like train wreck of contrived retarded writing.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:13   Link #27
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
Seiji Mizushima directed the Full Metal Alchemist anime. more interesting is the writer is Yousuke Kuroda, of Infinite Ryvius fame.

but of course there's no absolutes, so nothing to do and sit a watch what happens.
Wow!!!! That sounds awesome!!!

I loved both Full Metal Alchemist and Infinite Ryvius. Both are probably in my top ten anime list.

This anime sure has a lot of talent behind it.

Then again, even great director's like Steven Spielberg have made duds before like Shindler's List and 2005's War of the Worlds.

I'll watch it to the end regardless.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:13   Link #28
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Seconded. But no, please don't turn Gundam00 into a Geass-like train wreck of contrived retarded writing.
to each his own I suppose.

well, anyway, I'm sure we can agree we'd like to see greater focus on the characters than there was in the SEED series.
__________________
Memento mori
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:19   Link #29
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
to each his own I suppose.

well, anyway, I'm sure we can agree we'd like to see greater focus on the characters than there was in the SEED series.
Problem with Code Geass is that it put in so many questions without answering most of them

Anyway, I think Gundam 00 should focus on the characters first (meaning give them reasons to fight, behave a certain way, etc.), and then mecha second - I don't mean they should ignore it, but it will be the character development that make you want to watch the whole series - good mecha would only give you ok model sales
edf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:25   Link #30
hamstar
just passing by
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Exia
i say mecha. Of course relationships are inevitable but I'd really like to less of what I saw in seed/destiny and see more of what i saw in code geass. Thing is though, seeing how serious gundum double O is....I dont see any relationships like the ones in code geass happening at all.
__________________
hamstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:11   Link #31
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Mac Zero's focus is on story telling, character development is obviously not the main focus. In fact I can see the story still work even without the romance between mao, shin and sara. The only part of the story that somewhat requires a romance is the formation of the birdhuman, again it doesn't need it. Sara could trigger the final stage seeing someone she knows killed right infront of her eyes, doesn't need to be her love interest, though love interest makes it all that much dramatic. Plus on the other hand, the whole story revolves around the relationship between guld, isamu and myun. You take relationship out of that story line, the story line no longer works. Guld's desire for myun compells him to do such and such and myun's desire for isamu projects onto sharon, creating our final boss. Take relationship out, there will be no macross plus, just a crazy space cowboy isamu tearing shit up.
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:12   Link #32
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Age: 25
If I can only choose one, I guess I will take mecha. This is an action anime after all, and Exia & the other Gundams are just plain awesome in action. Although every episode of the Gundams flying around and destroying everything won't be too fun
__________________
その再生を破壊する
Destroy This Rebirth
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:21   Link #33
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
Mac Zero's focus is on story telling, character development is obviously not the main focus. In fact I can see the story still work even without the romance between mao, shin and sara. The only part of the story that somewhat requires a romance is the formation of the birdhuman, again it doesn't need it. Sara could trigger the final stage seeing someone she knows killed right infront of her eyes, doesn't need to be her love interest, though love interest makes it all that much dramatic. Plus on the other hand, the whole story revolves around the relationship between guld, isamu and myun. You take relationship out of that story line, the story line no longer works. Guld's desire for myun compells him to do such and such and myun's desire for isamu projects onto sharon, creating our final boss. Take relationship out, there will be no macross plus, just a crazy space cowboy isamu tearing shit up.
If that's the case with Macross Zero, they should have taken the whole romance element out and focused more on the story. The thing about the love story in Zero is that it felt half-assed at all times. I never really cared whether Shin or Sara died or not. Mao made me go teary eyed when I thought that she (Mao) would possibly die and thus trigger Sara's awakening of the Birdman. The relationship between Fokker and that blonde scientist lady wasn't very good either.

To tell you the truth, not every series needs a love story.

If a love story were to hamper the storytelling of Gundam 00 or another show than they should probably leave it out entirely.

Better not to have a romantic love story than try to force a bad one.

Kanon 2006 didn't really have a love story and it did just fine, for example.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:30   Link #34
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
If that's the case with Macross Zero, they should have taken the whole romance element out and focused more on the story. The thing about the love story in Zero is that it felt half-assed at all times. I never really cared whether Shin or Sara died or not. Mao made me go teary eyed when I thought that she (Mao) would possibly die and thus trigger Sara's awakening of the Birdman. The relationship between Fokker and that blonde scientist lady wasn't very good either.

To tell you the truth, not every series needs a love story.

If a love story were to hamper the storytelling of Gundam 00 or another show than they should probably leave it out entirely.

Better not to have a romantic love story than try to force a bad one.

Kanon 2006 didn't really have a love story and it did just fine, for example.
Agree! I can see why you rated it bad now. This won't be the case though in 00 if my predictions indeed do come true.
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:52   Link #35
tyranimo
Sue me, Why don't you?
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On Earth.
Send a message via AIM to tyranimo
tbh i smell the fangirls going crazy over graham x setsuna already. ohgawd.

i don't mind any relationships forming.. but i got really annoyed with the kira-fllay relationship in seed.

fllay really got onto my nerves. :/ The stereotypical anime girl who pulls the main character back. ugh.
tyranimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:56   Link #36
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranimo View Post
tbh i smell the fangirls going crazy over graham x setsuna already. ohgawd.
The first homosexual male lead in a Gundam series ever? Let's hope not.

Has there ever even been a gay male lead in an anime before?
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:58   Link #37
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
The first homosexual male lead in a Gundam series ever? Let's hope not.

Has there ever even been a gay male lead in an anime before?
Kira/Assram came close. Just look at that mini seed crap
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:59   Link #38
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranimo View Post
tbh i smell the fangirls going crazy over graham x setsuna already. ohgawd.

i don't mind any relationships forming.. but i got really annoyed with the kira-fllay relationship in seed.

fllay really got onto my nerves. :/ The stereotypical anime girl who pulls the main character back. ugh.
Kudos to her though, she's the first ever girl to have sex with a main character before the main girl gets to him
__________________
憎しみ合う者達がいた 骸は野に朽ち 御魂は血に染み 絆は 刃に分かたれた 闇についえし真心が泣く 愛する者よ 死に候えと
Kazamachi Shogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 01:04   Link #39
srb
I can see time itself!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kingdom of Sweden
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to srb
She's also not stereotypical at all and actually goes through quite a significant character change during the show. One of the best things in SEED and hands down the best character.

Quote:
Has there ever even been a gay male lead in an anime before?
Haha, oh god yes.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 01:06   Link #40
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
Kudos to her though, she's the first ever girl to have sex with a main character before the main girl gets to him
Bump for Flay alone.

I thought SEED was actually pretty good.

Destiny, on the other hand, has my award for one of the worst endings in anime ever. I've never seen another show with so much reused animation. There's an episode with only a little over 2 minutes of original footage.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.