AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-27, 14:34   Link #2081
Fantaghiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
I couldn't find a name spelled Rigaldo. IMO it's a bad spelling for Ricardo. One of most know Richard in history was Richard I of England also known as Richard the Lionheart. Rigaldo was a Silver-Eyed Lion King
I also believe Rigaldo/Rigaldes/Rigardo/Ligardes...(and so on) is actually Richard.

As for Dietrich...I think Yagi wasn´t aware of Dietrich being a MALE name...

But I don´t blame him because he is one of the few mangaka who actually does research when it comes to foreign names and designations...Unlike his more famous colleagues like Kouta Hirano (Hellsing) (I had a great time, reading the Millenium arc ) or Tite Kubo (Bleach).

OT end

As for Dietrich´s low rank despite Helen & Deneve being very impressed with her which they weren´t with Audrey and Rachel, I think she´s the same case as Clare whose power abruptly increased after going over her limit.
Old 2009-02-27, 14:51   Link #2082
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
I think she might be like Miria, and her potential increases when fighting in a group.
Old 2009-02-27, 15:46   Link #2083
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevilanimal View Post
I think the french version is actually "Claire" which translates to "clear" in english
google... google... found:
http://www.behindthename.com/name/clarice

It's look Sleepy Speculator is right, I were partially wrong. Clarice was medieval french for "little Clara".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Poor_Ladies - order of nuns, founded by Saint Clare, also known as the Clarisse. I've always known that order by those last name, so I've made such mistake.

Almost all female Claymores names are european female names (Uma, Dietrich and Galatea are exceptions). But in don't apply to males. According to Wikipedia Handlers names are after museums of arts. So maybe Isley, Raki, Dauf etc. are after places not actual names? Just a thought
Isley may be as well Achilles, Raki be Francis or maybe even Loki, and Dauf a Dave (David).

Last edited by Arturro; 2009-02-27 at 15:47. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 2009-02-27, 19:57   Link #2084
theevilanimal
ABducting claymores

hmm I am actually francophone and I really think Claire is the french equivalent of Clare, Clarice, as suggested by the website is a diminutive of clare or claire. Why would clarice, a diminutive of clare, be the french equivalent of clare.

and Claire translating into the english Clear has clearly the same pronounciation.
Clear, CleAre(with a silent e at the end), Clare
Old 2009-02-27, 21:12   Link #2085
Vinak
Procrastinator

Alicia = "noble sort" "Joy" "exalted"
Agatha = "good" "honorable"
Audrey = "noble strength."
Beth = "god is my oath" "house" "god's promise"
Clare (feminine) = "clear, bright"
Clare (masculine) ="illustrious"
Clarice = "fame"
Claudia = "lame" "little lame one"
Cynthia = "woman from Kynthos" (a mountain)
Deneve = ??? beloved?
Diana = "divine" "heavenly"
Dietrich = "first of the people; king of nations" "power"
Elda = "battle"
Elena = "torch"
Eliza = "god is my oath"
Emelia = "work"
Eva = "beauty" "life"
Flora = "flower" "white shoulder"
Galatea = "she who is milk white"
Helen = "Torch" "sun ray, shining light" (women who started the Trojan war)
Irene = "peace" "goddess of peace"
Jean (masculine/feminine) = "God is gracious."
Juliana = "descended from Jupiter" "youthful"
Karla = "man" "free man"
Kate = "pure"
Lily = "Lily flower" symbol of innocence and purity
Lucia (Lucille) = "light" "little light"
Matilda = "mighty in battle"
Mira = "wonderful" "prosperous" "obstinacy, rebelliousness" "peace"
Natalie = "birthday" "Christmas day"
Nina = "great Granddaughter" "fire" "grace" "little girl"
Noel = "day of birth" "Christmas"
Pamela = "all honey" "sweetness"
Priscilla = "ancient"
Ophelia = "help"
Queenie = "Queen
Rachel = "ewe" "battle counsel." "Sheep"
Rafaela = "healed of God" or "whom God has healed."
Ricardo = "powerful ruler"
Rosemary = an herb "dew" "the sea" or "dew of the sea"
Sophia = "wisdom"
Tabetha/Tabitha = female gazelle
Tabby= cranky old woman. (lol)
Teresa = "harvester" "summer"
(Y)Uma
= "nation" "flax" "do not; flax or turmeric"
Undine = "wave"
Veronica = "bringer of victory" "true image"
Wendy = "friend"
Zelda = "gray battle maid" "happiness, joy" "dark battle"

Last edited by Vinak; 2009-02-27 at 21:51.
Old 2009-02-27, 22:00   Link #2086
Newhope

Alot of the main characters names from what i've read are actually pretty close to there role in the manga.
Old 2009-03-04, 18:44   Link #2087
Sleepy Speculator
sleepy

Okay here's a random thought i had, whilst reading the latest chapter. I think the talk of the AE's being originally 11 in number and being able to share experience leads to the implication that genetically two claymores could share experience as well. Basically i'm gonna go back to a wtf is Clarice (name meaning little Clara).

Okay the other weird little thing is i'm wondering if Clarice has been tampered with to prevent yoki release, since the AE's were tampered with to also not be able to use yoki. If she has yoki but can't release it then she would never be able to awaken, which would make her the perfect control mechanism in a link with an awakening claymore. To put it bluntly as Irene showed with the training of Clare in quicksword the beserk part drags the 'spirit' of the claymore in, that is to say the monster part begins to overwhelm the human spirit, and in a soul link the difficulty lies in re-establishing the spirit for the awakening claymore, this is even difficult for Beth, but was perhaps impossible for Rafealla, likely because she was quelling 2 yoki signatures simultaneaously. If however the partner claymore can't awaken due to not having 'energy release' and has a trait previously eradicated by improvements in the hybridisation process(coloured hair marking her as a failure, yet a desirable/undesirable trait) then she can't be 'dragged' into the awakening problem that Rafealla likely had and Beth still has to struggle against. I think if i look back that Clarice has never used yoki, she can heal with it, and sense it but has none of the veins that you see on other claymores/ab's. I got this idea from looking at how the veins spread out from Clare's arm during the quicksword training and after she awoke Ilena's arm. Rafealla's soul link broke which means alignment was lost, and the only thing i can think of which may have caused that is Rafealla actually being at her own limit, not because she was unskilled.

Biki Biki Biki Biki... (raaarrrggghhh!!! i need some coffee!)
Old 2009-03-05, 02:07   Link #2088
Vinak
Procrastinator

hmm. what if Clarice was the experiment to see if sealing Yoki was possible while Miata was the experiment to see if they could do mental conditioning on regular claymores?

While both seem to be failures to some extent. what if the Organization intened to have Miata awaken and have Clarice die with their encounter with Galatea?
they get rid of two failed expirments while gaining more awakened being flesh.
Old 2009-03-05, 06:40   Link #2089
Sleepy Speculator
sleepy

Entirely possible, yet there's something about the number of AB's Miata stumbled upon that she can easily handle that's just suspicious. Clarice and Miata together seem to have all the traits of an AE.

When Clarice did go all out in desperation and actually attacked Agatha she didn't release any yoki at all. It left Galatea rather confused. And Galatea when she did 'sense' Clarice whilst on pills no less, asks if she's a soldier at all, and that is compared to even Clare you'd have to assume.

Old 2009-03-05, 14:59   Link #2090
Stream
Radical Dreamer

The suspicion's good and all, but the simple explanations are still rather effective: Clarice is just a failure warrior that slipped into the ranks because the org is low on manpower with poor youki and Miata's just a wild child warrior looking for a mother figure.

Clarice does get the distinction of being the only warrior so far who has been proven to be a better warrior when taking on a role like a mother figure. (The Clarice jump, for example.) Then again, Clare also seems fueled to a certain extent by a desire to protect more than self-preservation or reckless rage. Her iconic rage against Rigaldo, after all, did come from her own frustration at her inability to protect her comrades. I guess in this sense Clarice really could be seen as a "little Clare" in that they're both much more willing to put their lives on the line when it's for the sake of protecting or rescuing someone.
Old 2009-03-05, 15:32   Link #2091
Sleepy Speculator
sleepy

Well all probabilities are interesting when it comes to discussion and i can't think of all possibilities, and the v.simple ones whilst often right can be abit misleading since occams razor is often believed to be something you shave with, if your an author with a preference for a game of xanatos roulette.

I'm trying to read more into names recently and whilst claymore is an 'anyone can die' type of crapsack world there are some excellent examples. Ophelia/Miria and dare i say it Galatea. Vinak helpfully posted the meaning of many names just a few posts up and we can see that Galatea now has rather distinctive blindness. I'm presuming that those eyes are milky white, and it's not a reference to anything else. Rigaldo? is very similar to Ricardo and he's moniker was 'silver eyed lion king' which certainly fits with 'powerful ruler'. So the introduction of a protaginist with a name that amounts to 'little Clare' is rather interesting IMO.

And yes the org is low on manpower, but they hardly seem concerned considering the suicidal all out attacks on AB's to desperately gather material you'd assume.

Old 2009-03-05, 17:46   Link #2092
Newhope

Anyone else haveing a sneaking suspicion that Clarice may have been hybridized useing Clares flesh?
Old 2009-03-05, 17:55   Link #2093
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
Anyone else haveing a sneaking suspicion that Clarice may have been hybridized useing Clares flesh?
It's possible, Clare did get cut up a lot. But I like to think that they aren't the same just because of their names. I like Clarice and I would be really mad if I find out that Clarice has any of Clare in her.
Old 2009-03-05, 18:02   Link #2094
Newhope

The names and rank sort of suggest theres a link and the use of Clares flesh would make her only around 13% youma which would explain why shes so weak.
Old 2009-03-05, 18:04   Link #2095
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
The names and rank sort of suggest theres a link and the use of Clares flesh would make her only around 13% youma which would explain why shes so weak.
I'm only going to say, lets wait and see because I think I might be mad if it ends up like this.

I can see Rubal showing up and dropping a hint though, saying that he's surprised that those two are together.
Old 2009-03-05, 20:09   Link #2096
Sleepy Speculator
sleepy

Well Clarice is one of my favourite subjects for speculation as we got to see from her pov. I like the idea that they used Clare as a donor, and Clare has lost an arm *but* i don't think it's viable donor material because i think they have to use a specific part of the body. If any body part could be used then why would the org be desperately hunting Ab's for donor material over the last 7 years, since the huge amount of material left on their doorstep would be enough to make several armies. I would hazard a guess that Teresa's head is a complete red herring, and the real donor material is what's held in the stomach, and forms the stigma on their fronts. Clare whilst being made with a claymore's flesh and blood? instead of a yoma's has elicited no different response from other claymores viewing her, and the priest of Labona has not said that her stigma was different from Miatas in any significant way, which makes me think a member of the org simply collected the actual donor material at some later point.

I do think however that it's likely that there was donor material left from Teresa at least enough to make another hybrid (Alicia and Beth share donor material), and/or another claymore sample was used. If Clarice is a study in compatibility with Clare, then it may have been necessary for Ilena to be brought in since she gave Clare an entire arm and some donor compatibility could be guaranteed that way. I don't know what's going on, only Yagi knows but, i'd say Rubul's paper thin excuses are for show and he's really pushing a line of research for the org. The misfortune of course is that the Alicia/Beth soul link part takes precedent and Rubul's test subject went noticeably AWOL.

What i mean is Rubul lets on to Miria that half awakening is known only to him, yet Clare pulls Jean back from awakening and crosses her limit a few times against Riful, with Alicia and Beth in scanning range and actively observing and yet the org apparently still is none the wiser. Ermita brushes off Galatea's concern as if it was nothing yet still orders her to memorise their auras. The org seems to be a bunch of scientists capable of obfuscating stupidity, or at least pretending they aren't observing.

Also though by all accounts Rubul is trying to get the half awakened killed, and this is from Miria's perspective, there is the problem of yoki pills present in Pieta. I've noticed that there is nearly always talk about how yoki pills aren't available. e.g. Renee with regards to the yoma Raki kills, Clarice with regards to Galatea hiding etc. And the pills have always been handed to a claymore from an mib (Rubul to Clare, Rado to Clarice, any of the mib's with the #14 team in Lacoa). I can't see why the org would leave such a medicine in the hands of the claymores when it's designed for covert ops. Giving it to the claymores in Pieta would allow them to sneak past Raphealla in theory. The only way i can see them getting to Pieta is if the pills were carried there by Clare. And Rubul pulled alot of strings to send Clare there. I'm also wondering how Miria *knew* the half a yoki pill trick, of course we know who her informant was on other issues...

Also i don't know how they arrange stuff but look at the arrangement for Clare joining the Slashers Ab hunt. Rubul knows she's itching to fight one, and says he'll add her to the list, yet it's apparent from Helen and Miria that 'the chief' decided to allow #47 on an Ab hunt, and this is the same 'the chief' who would decide whether or not the org would bother trying to attack Priscilla. (Rimuto) The same chief who orders Galatea to find Clare and presumably ok'd the hunt with Ophelia, which led to the whole mess.

P.S. I'm more inclined to believe that Clarice is gonna get dragged along in tow of Miata who Miria would 'borrow' for support as she makes her move. Which of course would throw her straight into the jaws of some stupendous situation where exposition would be necessary. That or Galatea outright asks her something whilst giving her training from hell.

Old 2009-03-06, 10:21   Link #2097
muk

where riful's stats ever posted?
Old 2009-03-06, 12:27   Link #2098
Vinak
Procrastinator

Clare Clarice

Both Ranked 47
both considered very weak by their peers
both put into AB hunting groups
both grouped with the ranked number 4 warrior of their generation.
both display unexpected ability when protecting someone
Old 2009-03-06, 12:34   Link #2099
Newhope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
Clare Clarice

Both Ranked 47
both considered very weak by their peers
both put into AB hunting groups
both grouped with the ranked number 4 warrior of their generation.
both display unexpected ability when protecting someone
And both involved with there generation's N9 in one way or other.
Old 2009-03-06, 13:52   Link #2100
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muk View Post
where riful's stats ever posted?
I think it's 28A-22-30.
Closed Thread