AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-02-05, 15:38   Link #1081
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I think that is Orsay, minus the hood.

My guess is the guys with the hoods are the lowest ranked :P

Maybe Orsay got a promotion :P
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Old 2008-02-05, 18:58   Link #1082
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
Just preparing ahead in case Chapter 77 becomes a malestrom for things a bit out of context for the discussion.

Audrey and Rachel - Good? Bad? LOL?

Does losing so painfully to Riful make them the laughing stock of Claymore despite their #3 and #5 ranking? Does the Galatea/Clare/Jean team have them beat?

I say, No and No. The 3-Team didn't even have to fight against Riful, they fought Duff instead. And they were all pwned inside ten seconds (lasted that long only because Riful stopped to explain why she was interferring in the first place) when Riful decided to step in.

And vs Noel and Sophia - I 60-40 in favor of Noel and Sophia.

Sophia vs Rachel - Rachel's technique requires friction to generate its high attack strength while Sophia really just swings the bloody sword. Granted, Rachel's attack speed may be higher than Sophia's but not by much I don't think.

Audrey vs Noel - this might be trouble for Hurricane Noel since it would require a brain to figure out how to get around the 'soft sword' aspect of Audrey's fighting style. In base terms, Audrey used tai chi sword and to beat it requires timing, good sense and trickery. Changing angles of attack quickly is something that Noel is good at so maybe she can raise her attacking speed to beat the 'soft sword's defense, but again, that's a tought call since Audrey did parry out four-prong simultaneous attack from Riful.
__________________
"Focus entirely on me, you ordinary soldier."
Tempest35 is offline  
Old 2008-02-05, 19:19   Link #1083
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I really hate Claymore comparisons. It's really meaningless and depends on subjectivity of perceptions.

Ranking claymores isn't based on some solid facts. Meaning, that #2 of a particular generation isn't equal to #2 of another generation. Or to put it better, it's not that someone possesses a specific attribute, say Agility, she gets to reserve the seat of the best agility rank.

What matters is the outcome, the efficiency of that claymore in battle. Miata possesses great strengths and yoki and it was clearly stated that she is #1 material yet she is #4 because she wasn't stable enough. If Rosemary hadn't been made into meatmince by Teresa, I bet we would have seen Teresa vs. Rosemary debates.

A single factor can make the result of a battle changes. Ophelia was obviously defeated by that single digit AB but she managed to kill her because that AB was stupid enough not to snap Ophelia's head off. Or Clare kicking the ass of that 6-armed AB because she put her yoki flow detection in use and that's what I like about Claymore. It's doesn't have that ideal battle field set in it. One who appears to have the upper hand could be killed due to some circumstances changes or some silly mistake. Audrey can be seen as an invincible foe because she deflected Riful's blades but did you see what happened to Ray? The same thing could have happened to Audrey.

What I mean to say is that a systematic analysis of fighters abilities against each others is nice and everything but I will quote Galatea when she said "In this world, nothing goes as planned".

* Has a hazy mind ATM because it's 3:20 AM and he could barely keep his eyes open.
Anima is offline  
Old 2008-02-05, 21:33   Link #1084
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Audrey and Rachel - Good? Bad? LOL?

Does losing so painfully to Riful make them the laughing stock of Claymore despite their #3 and #5 ranking? Does the Galatea/Clare/Jean team have them beat?

I say, No and No. The 3-Team didn't even have to fight against Riful, they fought Duff instead. And they were all pwned inside ten seconds (lasted that long only because Riful stopped to explain why she was interferring in the first place) when Riful decided to step in.
Personally, I don't think they are that bad, but for me, the bad thing about them is that they didn't realized how powerful Riful really is. They both know who she is, yet they somehow, they think they can actually beat her. Galatea never even think she can do it, Jean/Clare was in awe of Riful's power when they see Riful's true form. It kind of remind me of how Irene grossly mis-judged Teresa's ability, but in the case of Rachel, she certainly doesn't behave like someone who has dealt with high level youma or opponent before, as if she does, she should know that stepping on your component while fighting is ok, but always assume they can attack you with their body, especially for youma. Unless Riful is really good at hiding her youki (which she semi-claim she isn't, as she commented on Clare and Galatea pretty much know how powerful she is once she is in her AB form), it just shows us that their youki sensing ability is not that good.

I give Irene a break on this, if anyone is going to bring her up, because NO ONE was able to tell how powerful Teresa really is. Hell, even the former number one Rosemary cannot...
edf91 is offline  
Old 2008-02-05, 22:31   Link #1085
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Actually Riful said that she was HOPING they would be able to see right through her trick, because she was looking for powerful Yoki-sensors like Galatea/Clare, but neither Rachel nor Audrey are specialists in Yoki sensing.

Clare was not even able to detect Riful until Galatea pointed it out to her, and even then Clare was shocked by Riful's true power. When Riful transformed the first time I seriously doubt she was purposefully hiding her Yoki like she was against the new #3 and #5.

If anything, Riful has been shown as quite adept at hiding her Yoki, to a degree that is frightening to anyone who doesn't know what to look for.

I also disagree about Rachel and Audrey not fighting powerful Yoma, it is obvious they were quite skilled at fighting ABs, and the strike that caught Riful by suprise would have killed most ABs. The only thing that is obvious is that they have never encounter an Abyssal Level opponent before, which is unsuprising.

I would not doubt that their abilities are worthy of their ranks, maybe not as impressive as Galatea (who, judging by her stats, would be at least #2 in most generations.) But Galatea is an impressive Claymore for her rank anyway.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 03:19   Link #1086
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Actually Riful said that she was HOPING they would be able to see right through her trick, because she was looking for powerful Yoki-sensors like Galatea/Clare, but neither Rachel nor Audrey are specialists in Yoki sensing.
I know it's not their specialty, but they should at least realized that having a conversation on an AB's body is not a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Clare was not even able to detect Riful until Galatea pointed it out to her, and even then Clare was shocked by Riful's true power. When Riful transformed the first time I seriously doubt she was purposefully hiding her Yoki like she was against the new #3 and #5.
Clare cannot detect her until Galatea point it out to her, but Riful was in her human form, not to mention she was hiding her youki. When Riful "transform", unless she doesn't care, she shouldn't be showing off her full power because she know Alicia or Beth is nearby (she commented on they are closed by), and letting them know how powerful she really is shouldn't be high on her priority list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
If anything, Riful has been shown as quite adept at hiding her Yoki, to a degree that is frightening to anyone who doesn't know what to look for.
More like that's her strategy - she didn't fool Galatea, as she know Riful is there before she enter the cave, so yes, she is hiding her youki, but it's not that good - people good at sensing youki can still detect her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I also disagree about Rachel and Audrey not fighting powerful Yoma, it is obvious they were quite skilled at fighting ABs, and the strike that caught Riful by suprise would have killed most ABs. The only thing that is obvious is that they have never encounter an Abyssal Level opponent before, which is unsuprising.
Guess the Org don't test for intelligence - they should know that Riful is one of the most powerful AB out there, as if she can control other AB by herself, it should be obvious to how powerful she is. Claymore usually fight AB in groups of 4, and from the looks of it, she is used to fight at least in twos (Rachel with Audrey) - it should be simple math - you can kill off a single or maybe two AB at a time in a group of 4, but what makes them think they can take on a single one, one that can take down several AB at once? I guess it has to do with arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I would not doubt that their abilities are worthy of their ranks, maybe not as impressive as Galatea (who, judging by her stats, would be at least #2 in most generations.) But Galatea is an impressive Claymore for her rank anyway.
I never doubt their power in the current ranks of Claymore, but that has more to do with how badly they were depleted in the current rank. I don't even think they can take on Ophelia one on one personally - Ophelia might be nuts, but at least she can analyze the enemy (She recognize Clare's flash sword the first time she uses it) - Audrey and Rachel are severely lacking in that department...
edf91 is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 09:10   Link #1087
Newhope
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
More like that's her strategy - she didn't fool Galatea, as she know Riful is there before she enter the cave, so yes, she is hiding her youki, but it's not that good - people good at sensing youki can still detect her.
I think its one of the ways Riful measures her oppentents strengths and weakness's basically shes just hides her yoki enough that normal senseing wouldn't detect her true strength but someone who has any skill would see though it, i'am pretty sure Riful could hide her yoki better if she wanted to.

Quote:
Guess the Org don't test for intelligence - they should know that Riful is one of the most powerful AB out there, as if she can control other AB by herself, it should be obvious to how powerful she is. Claymore usually fight AB in groups of 4, and from the looks of it, she is used to fight at least in twos (Rachel with Audrey) - it should be simple math - you can kill off a single or maybe two AB at a time in a group of 4, but what makes them think they can take on a single one, one that can take down several AB at once? I guess it has to do with arrogance.
I don't think they where that dumb Audrey in perticually seemed fairly intelligent,what you seem to be forgeting is Riful is disguiseing herself as a normal level AB only someone of Galatea's level of yoki senseing skill would see though it seeing as neither Rachel or Audrey seem skilled at it it's no surprise they where fooled.Another point is that most claymore's don't seem to even know what an Abyssal is never mind how strong they are.

Quote:
never doubt their power in the current ranks of Claymore, but that has more to do with how badly they were depleted in the current rank. I don't even think they can take on Ophelia one on one personally - Ophelia might be nuts, but at least she can analyze the enemy (She recognize Clare's flash sword the first time she uses it) - Audrey and Rachel are severely lacking in that department...
The only thing I see lacking in the current generation is exprenice and the lack of caution when a AB walks up to A number 3 and 5 you should know she has something up her sleeve but they got cocky and fell right into her trap.I think Ophelia is a bad example if you look at her stats shes number 1 materiel in fact I consider her the number 2 of clares generation with Galatea been the number 1,Ophelia didn't know what the flash sword was but she did know that clare was reading her yoki.Audrey and Rachel didn't have the chace to show this kind of skill because Ruful was just standing there and letting them show there moves.
Newhope is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 13:17   Link #1088
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
I think its one of the ways Riful measures her oppentents strengths and weakness's basically shes just hides her yoki enough that normal senseing wouldn't detect her true strength but someone who has any skill would see though it, i'am pretty sure Riful could hide her yoki better if she wanted to.
Yes, but she did hide it - she was never shown off her true power for the most part, but Galatea see right through that. During the first meeting, Riful doesn't need someone that can sense youki, so there is no reason to "play the game", other than her typical behavior.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
I don't think they where that dumb Audrey in perticually seemed fairly intelligent,what you seem to be forgeting is Riful is disguiseing herself as a normal level AB only someone of Galatea's level of yoki senseing skill would see though it seeing as neither Rachel or Audrey seem skilled at it it's no surprise they where fooled.Another point is that most claymore's don't seem to even know what an Abyssal is never mind how strong they are.
Audrey call her by name, so she know who Riful is. In Clare's generation, she doesn't even know her name before Galatea mentioned it, but since Audrey call her by name, so she should know the history behind her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
The only thing I see lacking in the current generation is exprenice and the lack of caution when a AB walks up to A number 3 and 5 you should know she has something up her sleeve but they got cocky and fell right into her trap.I think Ophelia is a bad example if you look at her stats shes number 1 materiel in fact I consider her the number 2 of clares generation with Galatea been the number 1,Ophelia didn't know what the flash sword was but she did know that clare was reading her yoki.Audrey and Rachel didn't have the chace to show this kind of skill because Ruful was just standing there and letting them show there moves.
I was just using her as an example, as I cannot really use Miria, since she is a semi-special case. Supposedly, if you are in the top 5 of the org, you are supposed to be "heads" above the rest of the Claymore, but I just don't see it in this generation, other than Alicia, Beth and Miata...
edf91 is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 15:58   Link #1089
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I still don't see any indication that Audrey and Rachel aren't perfectly deserving of their ranks, they could well be leaps and bounds above everyone below them, or maybe the people below them are close in strength due to a fluke, who knows?

But the point is, the only person they have fought so far is Riful of the West, and Abyssal One, so we have no accurate way to gauge their power as of yet.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 16:25   Link #1090
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I am not arguing about her powerlevel compare to Clare and company per say, but the way they approach the battle makes you wonder where did those "AB" they were fighting - it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you don't stand on the body of an AB and have a conversation with them when the AB is still very much alive and well, and don't expect to get slaughtered. I am mostly commented on their apparent arrogance - they didn't seem to learn to analyze the fight - they just try to overpower their opponents, which we know unless you are Teresa or Priscilla, you don't have a chance against higher leveled opponents.
edf91 is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 16:46   Link #1091
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
But they did try to fight Riful indirectly, they lulled her into a false sense of security, making her think Rachel's sword couldn't reach her, and that Audrey was not an offensive threat.

Then they closed the distance, Audrey defending Rachel, and Rachel getting off an attack that Riful did not think she could be hit with.

That was very smart thinking, and would have been more then enough to put a stop to most opponents, and nothing they sensed from Riful would have indicates she would be so strong that she could split her own body and fake being injured.

Audrey even attempt to stab the "open" wound when their combined attack failed, but was suddenly met with the realization that Riful was not wounded at all.


Riful is the one responsible for making them look like fools, I know many people were ranting and raving that Audrey and Rachel appeared to powerful until Riful revealed that she was just toying with them.

There team-work was near flawless up till the point Audrey realized how screwed they were, they even impressed Riful.

So in hindsight, they DID analyze their opponent, it was just that their opponent was far more powerful and experienced then they thought even possible. Riful simply lulled them into a false sense of security, only people who could detect the true depths of Riful's power would have been able to realize she was just faking her injury.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 17:08   Link #1092
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
But they did try to fight Riful indirectly, they lulled her into a false sense of security, making her think Rachel's sword couldn't reach her, and that Audrey was not an offensive threat.
If that is their strategy, then all I can say is I am amazed at their "tactics" - we are talking about an AB so powerful that even the Org don't bother with, a fact that Audrey and Rachel SHOULD know, and they think they can take her down with Rachel's move?

I think we are arguing about different thing - to me, they are "bad" is that somehow, in their "tiny little heads", they think they can 1) Do major damage with that move and 2) Think it's safe to have a "conversation" with Riful after the attack on her body basically failed. Almost all fights I saw, even if you land a critical hit on your opponent, unless you plan on adding to it, you get the hell away from range. It's hard with Riful since her range is so high, but staying on top of her is definitely way too close. They are basically using tactics that probably work on the low level AB they are facing, but they just "stick" with that and hope it works - they didn't work out any other alternative. There are times when you have to do that, like when you know you are outclassed, but hoping something would work. Doesn't seem to be the case here - they were confident that it would work.

Another thing I have to complaint about Org's training is that the new recruit's youki sensing ability suck - even Helen, who is not well trained in this area, can tell Riful is powerful, but these #3 and #5 Claymore, who are right next to her, cannot, that just tells me every Claymore need to take a Youki Sensing 101 class
edf91 is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 17:36   Link #1093
Newhope
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
If that is their strategy, then all I can say is I am amazed at their "tactics" - we are talking about an AB so powerful that even the Org don't bother with, a fact that Audrey and Rachel SHOULD know, and they think they can take her down with Rachel's move?

I think we are arguing about different thing - to me, they are "bad" is that somehow, in their "tiny little heads", they think they can 1) Do major damage with that move and 2) Think it's safe to have a "conversation" with Riful after the attack on her body basically failed. Almost all fights I saw, even if you land a critical hit on your opponent, unless you plan on adding to it, you get the hell away from range. It's hard with Riful since her range is so high, but staying on top of her is definitely way too close. They are basically using tactics that probably work on the low level AB they are facing, but they just "stick" with that and hope it works - they didn't work out any other alternative. There are times when you have to do that, like when you know you are outclassed, but hoping something would work. Doesn't seem to be the case here - they were confident that it would work.

Another thing I have to complaint about Org's training is that the new recruit's youki sensing ability suck - even Helen, who is not well trained in this area, can tell Riful is powerful, but these #3 and #5 Claymore, who are right next to her, cannot, that just tells me every Claymore need to take a Youki Sensing 101 class
You seem to think they knew how powerful Riful is from the start, few claymoes know just how danerous Abyssal's are few if any who meet one live to tell the tale.They didn't even know who she was until she introduced herself that in it's self should tell you they couldn't sense her power.

The fab 7 training was more than likey the same or very similar to the current claymores what the current claymores lack is the fab 7's experience who have faced ABs more powerful than any they have likey faced.
Newhope is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 17:40   Link #1094
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Helen, like the rest of the 7 ghosts, has spent years in isolation, training every aspect of herself, so she can't really be used as an example either.

If Riful was giving off an aura that indicated she was above average, but not massively so, high ranking single-digits, who have only heard stories about Riful (and we all know stories get exaggerated over time), then finally met Riful in person only to sense that she is just above average? Of course their going to be confident, especially when Riful's rather convincing acting (for an AB) indicates they are doing well.

The shock of their attack not working obviously affected them, as has been stated before, they probably have never encounter ANYTHING with Riful's body type before, hell, Riful is STILL the only creature in Claymore that has a body like that.

It's no surprise that the shocked Audrey (who had just discovered how much they were screwed) would just stand there and tell Rachel how screwed they were, and Rachel (who is indeed as dumb as a rock) just decided to continue the assault, sensing nothing that indicated a problem.

They didn't just "stand there and have a conversation" as you say, the conversation only took place when Audrey became too shocked to move.

Alot of signs point to Riful's ability to hide her Yoki surprisingly well, so it is really a moot point to keep harping on them not detecting Riful's true power. Clare was literally sitting next to Riful before she realized her power, and Clare is one of the top 5 Yoki sensors in the series.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 17:43   Link #1095
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
It's common courtesy amongst fighters of virtually all types and circles to be respectful of opponents. Those that are not are considered dishonorable and treated accordingly, even if they can back up their arrogant talk.

And Riful just likes to play. Oh course she's very nice about it too, considering she's an AB herself. Seriously playful, like a cat that knows every inch of the house that the mice are scampering through.

And if Riful ever got a hold of the 7 (pending 3 more additions ^^ v), she could very well rule the entire continent.
__________________
"Focus entirely on me, you ordinary soldier."
Tempest35 is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 17:45   Link #1096
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
You seem to think they knew how powerful Riful is from the start, few claymoes know just how danerous Abyssal's are few if any who meet one live to tell the tale.They didn't even know who she was until she introduced herself that in it's self should tell you they couldn't sense her power.

The fab 7 training was more than likey the same or very similar to the current claymores what the current claymores lack is the fab 7's experience who have faced ABs more powerful than any they have likey faced.
If you have access to chapter 69 of the manga - go back to it and read up on it - Audrey address Riful by name, before Riful said anything other than banter talk. She even say it as "Riful of the West, one of the abyssal one". Audrey for sure know who they are dealing with, so their only excuse would be that Org didn't say how powerful they are, but it's logical to assume that if they can basically hog up an area of land that even Org didn't try to take back (I would think people are willing to pay for it), it should say something about their power.

I am starting to wonder if I am reading the same translation of the manga as the other people on the forum
edf91 is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 17:55   Link #1097
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
As I pointed out, just because you heard of someone being powerful doesn't always mean they are, stories can be exaggerated.

And when they encounter the said Abyssal One, and her Aura appears not to be as impressive as had been said, of course your going to assume those stories were exaggerations.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 17:57   Link #1098
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Helen, like the rest of the 7 ghosts, has spent years in isolation, training every aspect of herself, so she can't really be used as an example either.
I think I approach this subject before - they were forbidden to use youki while hiding in the north, so wondering how the Fab 7 get to practice youki sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
If Riful was giving off an aura that indicated she was above average, but not massively so, high ranking single-digits, who have only heard stories about Riful (and we all know stories get exaggerated over time), then finally met Riful in person only to sense that she is just above average? Of course their going to be confident, especially when Riful's rather convincing acting (for an AB) indicates they are doing well.
I don't get the impression at all - I see Riful is interested to see whether they truly see how powerful she really is, and what they will try to take her down. She doesn't seem to be spending extra effort to hide her own ability - she truly want to see how Audrey and Rachel approach her, since they know she is one of the abyssal ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
The shock of their attack not working obviously affected them, as has been stated before, they probably have never encounter ANYTHING with Riful's body type before, hell, Riful is STILL the only creature in Claymore that has a body like that.
I am just talking about it general - not just applying it to Riful. The "power" of the attack is pretty weak, relatively speaking, so it probably won't work much on any of the abyssal ones. Hell, I am not 100% sure it will cut through Dauf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
It's no surprise that the shocked Audrey (who had just discovered how much they were screwed) would just stand there and tell Rachel how screwed they were, and Rachel (who is indeed as dumb as a rock) just decided to continue the assault, sensing nothing that indicated a problem.
The "dumb" comment is more toward Rachel, since she just stand there and look stupid for the most part. I do give Audrey more credit on that part, but still, standing there with fear is definitely NOT the correct response. It's fine for the low numbers Claymore to have that reaction, but they are high single digits - that behavior is just not acceptable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Alot of signs point to Riful's ability to hide her Yoki surprisingly well, so it is really a moot point to keep harping on them not detecting Riful's true power. Clare was literally sitting next to Riful before she realized her power, and Clare is one of the top 5 Yoki sensors in the series.
The other part I was having problems with is that they DIDN'T think of an alternative plan - even if you are good, your opponent might have a way to counter your best move, so always have alternative attacks, and, other than Audrey, who is at least smart enough to attack an open area, they just basically "downgrade" to grunt status, just either blindly attack or just stand there looking like a statue. During the fight against Teresa, Irene and company are outclassed, but they certainly don't go blindly attack or stand there in fear (except Priscilla, but she is young and not mentally ready yet anyway), and that is the reaction I expect from high number Claymore.
edf91 is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 18:08   Link #1099
edf91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
As I pointed out, just because you heard of someone being powerful doesn't always mean they are, stories can be exaggerated.

And when they encounter the said Abyssal One, and her Aura appears not to be as impressive as had been said, of course your going to assume those stories were exaggerations.
I went back and read up on Rachel's reaction to Riful, and yes, they were thinking that Riful is just a pushover. I am just amazed at the experience level of their single digit in fighting high powered AB - I don't even think they can take on Rigald or Dauf. To me, it just seems that they are too used to being able to push any AB they faced before, and when they face someone that is more powerful, they just go to pieces.
edf91 is offline  
Old 2008-02-06, 18:15   Link #1100
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf91 View Post
I think I approach this subject before - they were forbidden to use youki while hiding in the north, so wondering how the Fab 7 get to practice youki sense...
The awakened beings living up north? Avoiding Claymore patrols of the area? It is obvious that they have improved in that department, because we had seen no signs of Tabitha's long-range sensing before, and Helen and Deneve weren't very impressive Yoki-sensors back during their first hunt either.


Quote:
I don't get the impression at all - I see Riful is interested to see whether they truly see how powerful she really is, and what they will try to take her down. She doesn't seem to be spending extra effort to hide her own ability - she truly want to see how Audrey and Rachel approach her, since they know she is one of the abyssal ones.
Riful was attempting to find someone who could see through her disguise, thus the reason she hid her true Yoki in the first place, she said so herself.

Quote:
I am just talking about it general - not just applying it to Riful. The "power" of the attack is pretty weak, relatively speaking, so it probably won't work much on any of the abyssal ones. Hell, I am not 100% sure it will cut through Dauf...
It cut through Riful's tentacles easily enough, considering Clare's Windcutter didn't even damage Riful's tentacles earlier, thats a pretty good indication, as only Helen's drill could damage them as well.


Quote:
The "dumb" comment is more toward Rachel, since she just stand there and look stupid for the most part. I do give Audrey more credit on that part, but still, standing there with fear is definitely NOT the correct response. It's fine for the low numbers Claymore to have that reaction, but they are high single digits - that behavior is just not acceptable...
Well i'm not going to argue about Rachel being stupid, because she is. Standing there in fear is a perfectly normal response when faced with an overwhelming opposistion, she had thought they stood a chance until she realized the true scope of Riful's power. Irene herself grew afraid of fighting at all after seeing Priscilla's awakened form, so it would be suprise if a weaker warrior would freeze up in the prescence of an Abyssal One, especially when they realized they were being toyed with.

I think it's rather impressive that Audrey recovered so quickly after being freed from Riful's grasp.

Quote:
The other part I was having problems with is that they DIDN'T think of an alternative plan - even if you are good, your opponent might have a way to counter your best move, so always have alternative attacks, and, other than Audrey, who is at least smart enough to attack an open area, they just basically "downgrade" to grunt status, just either blindly attack or just stand there looking like a statue. During the fight against Teresa, Irene and company are outclassed, but they certainly don't go blindly attack or stand there in fear (except Priscilla, but she is young and not mentally ready yet anyway), and that is the reaction I expect from high number Claymore.
As I said, Rachel is stupid, and an enemy that is completely immune to sword-swings is quite rare. (Dauf level) As you stated, Audrey was quite capable until she realized the deception.

And Sophia and Noel did blindly attack a much more powerful opponent as well, Priscilla, and look where it got them.

Teresa was at least capable of being injured by a standard Claymore attack (however unlikely) but Riful is completely immune to low-level sword-strikes, and even some higher level ones like the Windcutter, that adds alot of intimidation factor in facing Riful.

Edit:

and as much as I'd hate to point this out, no matter how intelligent your planning is, a single super-powered AB can screw over anyone. Rigaldo proved that point by completely demolishing the leaders of the war in the North, despite Miria's plan. Only the Wild-card that was Clare saved them in the end, otherwise Miria's battle-plan would have been a complete flop.

High powered ABs like Dauf and Rigaldo don't just show up everyday either, I doubt Galatea + Miria would have been able to take Rigaldo either, so kind of moot to put Rigaldo up as a comparison for Audrey and Rachel's combat strength.

I think they could kill Dauf with the same basic strat they used againt Riful fyi, not that Riful would allow it.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.