AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2008-12-21, 14:43   Link #101
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
I'd say if you're just going to play casual use the controller. Some of the command intensive stuff, though, requires a stick (like Viper's Seismo Hammer canceling).

1UP has put up a preview/player matchup (with some familiar faces, too). I was suprised they went to Keystone II, but at about 6:30 they show a Fei Long/Cammy match. I gotta say, they both look pretty fun and Cammy's Gyro Drive Smasher is cool.

EDIT: Someone posted the Fei Long/Cammy portion on YouTube, but the audio is off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STH-_...el_page&fmt=18

Last edited by Tornix; 2008-12-22 at 00:14.
Tornix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 01:15   Link #102
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

From what I see of this game, I am not impressed. It literally looks like Street Fighter 2 on the SNES with better graphics.

Guilty Gear eats this game's lunch.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 02:01   Link #103
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
From what I see of this game, I am not impressed. It literally looks like Street Fighter 2 on the SNES with better graphics.

Sure, if you like bad character designs, MIDI rock music, trannies, and a battle system that emphasizes memorizing long chains of key inputs =X
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 02:06   Link #104
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Sure, if you like bad character designs, MIDI rock music, trannies, and a battle system that emphasizes memorizing long chains of key inputs =X
Sadly when I read that, it gave me shudders of old days. But I'm pretty happy with the previews for SF IV. The previews from TGS were amazing and I can't wait to see more about this game.
Old 2008-12-22, 02:09   Link #105
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Well as Capcom stated SFIV is for nostalgia. They went to a loop to re-crated the old 2D designs and paintings into moving SF 3D sprites. Also it's been in fan demand ever since. Every interview that Capcom had there's always the line, "When will make another SF game."

Also you cannot deny the success of other RE-BORN franchises such as i.e. FF7 came also from nostalgia and fan demand.
Old 2008-12-22, 03:03   Link #106
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
Quote:

I've seen many people that have this view of SF4 change after actually playing it. It's really a fun game. I don't agree with some of the things said earlier, but Guilty Gear has it's fair share of problems, too.
Old 2008-12-22, 05:06   Link #107
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:

Gulity Gear series is now dead anyway... there's a reason why Arc Systems is making Blaz Blue....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 18:15   Link #108
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Yeah, well, the gameplay is totally different than SFII, and that's really where it counts. Besides, it's the first SF game in the main lineup to feature alternate costumes, most of which are pretty cool (<3 Zangief).
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 18:49   Link #109
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:

Screenshots do not in any way, shape or form, do the graphics of this game any justice. It really has to be seen in animated form to notice how good it is and how smooth the animation is. Guilty Gear actually has pretty average animation, but has great looking sprites, so it looks great in screenshots, but the animation itself does not compare to say, even SF3, which had a much higher number of frames per move, resulting in smoother animation.

Guilty Gear appeals to a different crowd than SF4 does. It has a significantly steeper learning curve than pretty much any other 2D fighter, whereas the emphasis of SF4 is to be accessible to the beginner as well as the expert. While that may make Guilty Gear a deeper game, it also drives away a lot of players who are not willing to devote that much time into a fighter.
Old 2008-12-23, 22:21   Link #110
Demongod86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Screenshots do not in any way, shape or form, do the graphics of this game any justice. It really has to be seen in animated form to notice how good it is and how smooth the animation is. Guilty Gear actually has pretty average animation, but has great looking sprites, so it looks great in screenshots, but the animation itself does not compare to say, even SF3, which had a much higher number of frames per move, resulting in smoother animation.

Guilty Gear appeals to a different crowd than SF4 does. It has a significantly steeper learning curve than pretty much any other 2D fighter, whereas the emphasis of SF4 is to be accessible to the beginner as well as the expert. While that may make Guilty Gear a deeper game, it also drives away a lot of players who are not willing to devote that much time into a fighter.
the things that make GG have such a steep learning curve could be done away with if you simply increased the FRC window to the point that anyone that wanted to do it could at any given moment, and allowed custom inputs.
Old 2008-12-24, 19:25   Link #111
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
the things that make GG have such a steep learning curve could be done away with if you simply increased the FRC window to the point that anyone that wanted to do it could at any given moment, and allowed custom inputs.
There are a lot of things that steepen the curve, and just increasing the FRC window won't make it as accessible as Street Fighter. For one, each character's movesets are so unique that you almost have to learn each one from scratch (not to mention which moves can be FRCed and when they can be FRCed), whereas, other games have similar characters so that transitioning isn't as hard. Part of this is because of the button layout of Guilty Gear. Nearly all fighting games use one of three layouts:

1 - Weak, Medium, Strong, Special - used by Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Tatsu vs. Capcom, Fate Unlimited Codes. Probably the simplest and easiest to pick up.

2 - Punch and Kick, with strengths for each - an extension of type 1, although it came first ironically. Used by Street Fighter games, KoF games, Vs games, Darkstalkers, KI, etc. Still not too difficult to pick up, as which buttons execute special moves tend to be intuitive (ie. a hurricane kick is done with any kick button, while a dragon punch uses any punch).

3 - Each button is a unique kind of attack - used by Guilty Gear, MK, Soul Calibur, Tekken, etc. By far the hardest to pick up. Translating which button to use for specials requires more memorization than the other button schemes, as most special moves require one or two specific buttons.

Button schemes can also complicate combo mechanisms. Using schemes 1 or 2 make for easy to remember stronger chains (weak -> medium -> strong), but scheme 3 does not. Melty Blood goes one further where almost any normal can chain into any other normal. Guilty Gear does not do this, and so combos also become very character specific.

Use of meter in Guilty Gear is also more complicated. Meter can be used for:
-supers
-FRC / RC
-Perfect Defense
-Dead Angle Attacks
-Force Break Attacks
-Insta-Kills
-Slash-Back

It creates extra layers of strategy, but also makes the game harder to pick up. I haven't touched on everything, this is just some of the stuff that makes GG so complicated. There's just a lot more to learn to be a great GG player than there is to be a great SF player. Personally, I find that GG is geared much more to the player who likes to find one character and master it, while most other fighters are more accessible to players who like to play multiple characters.
Old 2008-12-24, 19:57   Link #112
Demongod86

Insta-kills: useless. Don't use them, unless your opponent is knocked dizzy.
Slash-back: very few and far between will there be situations that this is useful.
Dead angle: applies for every character.
Perfect defense: ditto
FRC/RC: Everyone has them
Supers: ditto
Force Breaks: Ditto as well

the hardest part is simply the insane input combos required and the ridiculous FRC windows.
Old 2008-12-24, 21:49   Link #113
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Insta-kills: useless. Don't use them, unless your opponent is knocked dizzy.
Slash-back: very few and far between will there be situations that this is useful.
Dead angle: applies for every character.
Perfect defense: ditto
FRC/RC: Everyone has them
Supers: ditto
Force Breaks: Ditto as well

the hardest part is simply the insane input combos required and the ridiculous FRC windows.
My point with the meter is that there is a lot of options with what to do with it, and for each character, it will be different on how you manage meter. In Street Fighter 3 for example, there are only 2 uses for meter, EX moves and supers. Thus, meter management is a lot simpler because there are fewer options. In Guilty Gear, there will be situations you won't want to use a super or a FB because you'll want some left for PD. Or maybe you're the type of player who likes to zone, and so you'll save your meter for PD and dead angles to keep your opponent at a particular range. Or maybe you know of good setups into your super, so you don't bother with PD and take some chip damage to ensure you have the meter for the super (you can replace super with FRC or FB in this situation too). Having to learn the what the optimal options are for your character and play style is more involved than for example, SF3 Chun Li, where the only useful uses of her meter is Houyoukusen or EX-SBK.
Old 2008-12-25, 14:27   Link #114
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Alright, can we stop comparing games? They both have very different mechanics. After all, every game is going to have people that don't like it for whatever reason. But I'll admit, I was a Guilty Gear junkie (and I still like it) before AC came out. And I think it's a good thing that SF4 plays more like old school SF. I mean, have you played ST? It's almost too fun.

Last edited by Tornix; 2008-12-25 at 17:04.
Tornix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 14:31   Link #115
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Because of the bundled Anime in the game Limited or not SFIV is a hot game to buy this coming Valentine's '09

Old 2008-12-27, 03:32   Link #116
Zeta Gundam

Quote:

Comparing Guilty Gear(A dead franchise right now btw) to Street Fighter is like comparing Apples to Oranges.

Besides that if anything, from the previews and from what they over at Shoryuken.com, the game is more like a combination of Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 3, than just outright a better looking version of Street Fighter 2.
Zeta Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 08:09   Link #117
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Pros:

2.D!!! O_O
Hybird system of SFII and SFIII awesome
Recognizable and iconic cast of fighters from SFI to SFII
has an anime bundled
many features and extras on the collectors edition

Cons:

STILL NO SFIII characters!
Old 2008-12-28, 15:38   Link #118
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Haha, I don't mind not having any SF3 characters now. I have a ton of characters I want to use in this one especially with the inclusion of Rose and Cammy.
Old 2009-01-08, 07:41   Link #119
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Sakura has changeable underwear... O_O

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/941/941347p2.html

Quote:
As for Sakura, for all her popularity we still can't quite see the pull of playing as such an underpowered character, though the option in the debug menu to choose the style of underwear she adorns should give you some indication of where her appeal lies for a certain audience. Nevertheless, she certainly has her own grace, her fireball weak but her dragon punch having remarkable length, while the unique arc of her hurricane kick ensures she's more than just a clone.
Old 2009-01-08, 14:38   Link #120
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Shoryuken.com has some gameplay videos for Dan, Cammy, Fei-Long, Rose, and Gen as well as the new 5-minute trailer up on their front page. Overall, I'm liking the English VAs.

"As for Sakura, for all her popularity we still can't quite see the pull of playing as such an underpowered character..."

In what Street Fighter game (minus Marvel vs. series) has Sakura been underpowered? She's top in Alpha 3 and CvS2 when using v-ism/a-groove and is above average in Alpha 2.

Tags
capcom, fighting, ps3, recycling, windows, xbox360