AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-10-18, 11:13   Link #1
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

pentium 4 3.0 HT powerful enough

does anybody here have an computer with pentium 4 3.0 HT socket 478, i want to ask if it is powerful enough to play a .mkv file (1280 x 768 like [eclipse] shakugan no shana II )
Old 2007-10-18, 11:46   Link #2
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Acer L310 with that processor and 1/2 gig ram. No problems

Running XP MCE 2005
Old 2007-10-18, 12:01   Link #3
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post

Running XP MCE 2005
thank you so munch may i ask you if you have an ati x1xx or nvidia 7xxx because i have an ati 9550 ( just in case)
Old 2007-10-18, 12:25   Link #4
grey_moon

It has got a built in Intel GMA3000 which is fine as media pc, but not really all that for games.
Old 2007-10-18, 17:53   Link #5
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Quote:

Running XP MCE 2005
could you give me more info about your computer, when i search on google the only "l310" with core duo appear
Old 2007-10-19, 02:37   Link #6
grey_moon

It should be the same model but with the P4 3GHz HT CPU instead of the nicer and cooler dual core. (I kinda think I should have paid a bit more and got that).
Old 2007-10-19, 18:03   Link #7
Caldron
Aria feels good....

Location: In my cube (it looked kinda rectangular though, he says)...
Don't even try to compare your processor to a dual core, lol, it's not just nicer and cooler, it's really a lot more powerful than yours by far. An E2180 will completely own a P4 3.0 HT

Old 2007-10-23, 08:56   Link #8
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

today i got that processor, and the result was horrible, it play video even slower than my previous processor, i wonder why such think is happen, the computer does run faster but the player is ....., i also install the lastest K-lite mega codec which include core...something
Old 2007-10-23, 09:18   Link #9
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Is your operating system and bios recognising your processor? did you do a reinstall of your o/s?
You've essentially replaced the brain of your computer, this would warrant a full reinstall IMO.
PS What was previously in that and what exactly have you replaced it with
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
Old 2007-10-23, 13:25   Link #10
jpwong

This might not have anything to do with it, but is your hard disk highly fragmented? That can result in crappy playback experiances.

I also don't suppose that it might be your K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. Doesn't that like install like 40+ codecs onto your machine? With that many codecs, I have to wonder if maybe the wrong decoder is trying to process the video.
Old 2007-10-24, 02:37   Link #11
grey_moon

*Scratches head*

Hmmmm I can't see why the play back is even worse. Did you try the suggestions by jpwong and hobbs_fan?

On my box I only have 512MB, but I am constantly running:

Supervision Cam
Waste P2P
Nod32
AVG Anti-virus
Outpost FW with all plugins
uTorrent

and I can play the eclipse shana 1280 epi with no problems with MPC, or even resource hogger MCE. I am using the k-lite 225 (I know the k-lite ones are overkill ).
Old 2007-10-24, 03:21   Link #12
problemedchild
_

Did you make sure you mounted the heaksink correctly? It could be overheating which would cause it to throttle. Use CoreTemp or Speedfan to check.

As far as I know, the OS doesn't care about the CPU, so reinstalling might not be warrented.

It might also be voltage related......

Everything else runs without a problem except video play back right? Then it's most likely the decoder's problem, not the processor's.

Last edited by problemedchild; 2007-10-24 at 03:56.
Old 2007-10-24, 06:21   Link #13
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Quote:
Hmmmm I can't see why the play back is even worse. Did you try the suggestions by jpwong and hobbs_fan?

On my box I only have 512MB, but I am constantly running:

Supervision Cam
Waste P2P
Nod32
AVG Anti-virus
Outpost FW with all plugins
uTorrent

and I can play the eclipse shana 1280 epi with no problems with MPC, or even resource hogger MCE. I am using the k-lite 225 (I know the k-lite ones are overkill ).
well, i just check my harddisk, it is ok, and after reinstall my windown and the k-lite (the same i install with my old processor) the result is all the same.

Quote:
Did you make sure you mounted the heaksink correctly? It could be overheating which would cause it to throttle. Use CoreTemp or Speedfan to check.

As far as I know, the OS doesn't care about the CPU, so reinstalling might not be warrented.

It might also be voltage related......
uhm, I will check my hardware for this problem, if everything is ok then, well i will think about buying an new computer
Old 2007-10-24, 07:43   Link #14
jpwong

Open your task manager and find out what your CPU use is when playing a video, if it's hitting 100%, maybe make sure that it isn't a bunch of other programs hogging all the system resources because it looks like you should have a computer that's sufficiently powerful to be running the video with no problems.
Old 2007-10-24, 09:51   Link #15
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

let me check what i have done so far :

re-install my windown
scan my registry with registry machanic
install k-lite full codec (not mega)
I even use Pc wizard to check my hardware
check task manager,even registry machanic graph

and the result is all the same, cannot play it well

the only thing i left is when I check by bios, my CPU was very hot (90 C - is this the reason since i use my old fan or it is too dirty ?) anyway thank for all your help
Old 2007-10-24, 09:58   Link #16
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
let me check what i have done so far :

re-install my windown
scan my registry with registry machanic
install k-lite full codec (not mega)
I even use Pc wizard to check my hardware
check task manager,even registry machanic graph

and the result is all the same, cannot play it well

the only thing i left is when I check by bios, my CPU was 90 ( is this the reason since i use my old fan or it is too dirty ?) anyway thank for all your help
90 degrees! Hmmm mine idles on 57 and stresses on 59.... and the acers l310 are notoriously hot!

When you changed the CPU did u reuse the heat sink? If you did, did you clean it? And use new thermal grease?

To clean it you need to use as pure alcohol as possible with a lint less cloth. Oh thermal grease can be toxic so wash your hands properly afterwards and check what you can wash it with. I normally use luke warm water first, followed up by a bit of washing up liquid and then I use proper hand soap.

I hope it works out as I would hate to think I led you to waste some money
Old 2007-10-24, 10:58   Link #17
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Quote:
90 degrees! Hmmm mine idles on 57 and stresses on 59.... and the acers l310 are notoriously hot!

When you changed the CPU did u reuse the heat sink? If you did, did you clean it? And use new thermal grease?

To clean it you need to use as pure alcohol as possible with a lint less cloth. Oh thermal grease can be toxic so wash your hands properly afterwards and check what you can wash it with. I normally use luke warm water first, followed up by a bit of washing up liquid and then I use proper hand soap.

I hope it works out as I would hate to think I led you to waste some money
thanks you so much but it is ok now, the problem was unexpected, my cooler is so dirty that i need alot of water to clean it, my computer is running smoodly now, the process is not even pass 50%. (need to download lot of HD stuff )

Last edited by hayate-sama; 2007-10-24 at 11:16.
Old 2007-10-24, 11:51   Link #18
problemedchild
_

Just don't wash the thermal grease off =P

Last edited by problemedchild; 2007-10-24 at 12:01.
Old 2007-10-24, 20:18   Link #19
jpwong

holy shit, 90C? I would have thought you'd have tripped the CPU automatic computer shutdown by then.

Well, good to see the problem is fixed. You should blow out all the dust from your computer every once in a while, that way you don't have to worry about any serious buildup.