AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-07-16, 21:37   Link #161
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Wufei had a wife?
Yeah, it was in a prequel manga. She was the original designated pilot for Shenlong Gundam. They didn't get along, until she took the Tallgeese and raised hell on OZ with it, and died. Then he became crazy about her. Late to the party, figuratively speaking. >_>
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 04:01   Link #162
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
To add on to that, she called herself Nataku, "the God of Justice" or something to that sort. Hence why Wufei calls both Shenlong and Altron "Nataku."
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 09:38   Link #163
Paladinoras
Pancakes

That's an interesting fact. So how old is Wufei, exactly?

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 00:35   Link #164
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
15, just like the other pilots.

I have to say, the age of the main characters never made sense to me. Given their maturity, appearance, and their past history, especially Wufei, always gave me the impression that they were at least in their late teens. I always figured their young age was just a quick attempt to make teen viewers relate to them.

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 00:41   Link #165
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
15, just like the other pilots.

I have to say, the age of the main characters never made sense to me. Given their maturity, appearance, and their past history, especially Wufei, always gave me the impression that they were at least in their late teens. I always figured their young age was just a quick attempt to make teen viewers relate to them.
Everyone knows their ages were put at 15 to make yaoi fangirls squeal with delight. >_>

Seriously, though, I don't give much thought to a character's age in an anime. Most of them are teens and it doesn't make sense, so I just ignore it and continue to enjoy watching a show. Granted, even at their young age, their past experiences would give them an unusual amount of maturity.

Duo, however, acts more like a teenager than the rest of them.
Old 2008-07-20, 22:36   Link #166
Blue-Phoenix
Wanna be fiddle star

Send a message via AIM to Blue-Phoenix
Why do I like Wing? That is tough. Well firstly I think that it has a lot of soul to it. Unlike the current Gundams that make mobile-suits and military service a normal thing in modern life you have this show that takes that image and creates a civilian contrast. They really create a world that I could 'see' into.

Also the fact that they don't go hopping around getting new Gundams everytime their own faults cause theirs to be destroyed. Instead of the Gundams changing, the pilots, the human aspect, struggle to become better.

The characters are really well constructed as well. Unlike in Seed, Destiny, or 00 the character dynamic is always changing. While those Gundams do have character development it is no where near at the level of indepth, heart wrenching development we see the five pilots go through. It is more slapped together in a short few episodes than built upon later, unlike in Wing were the development is gradual and on-going.

Personally, the new Gundams look like clowns to me. Big shoes, impractial armor, annoying color schemes that would be ruined in an instante in a battle. They would weigh so much that could NEVER in a million years fly with all the recharable battery power in the world. In Wing they DONT fly, and there are practical mobile suits like Aries and Picese. Not those Zauoks that would in reality drive like slugs, or lion mobile suits.....

I guess that really Wing keeps true to the Gundam spirit. That and the characters kick-butt.
Old 2008-07-20, 22:47   Link #167
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Phoenix View Post
Why do I like Wing? That is tough. Well firstly I think that it has a lot of soul to it. Unlike the current Gundams that make mobile-suits and military service a normal thing in modern life you have this show that takes that image and creates a civilian contrast. They really create a world that I could 'see' into.

Also the fact that they don't go hopping around getting new Gundams everytime their own faults cause theirs to be destroyed. Instead of the Gundams changing, the pilots, the human aspect, struggle to become better.

The characters are really well constructed as well. Unlike in Seed, Destiny, or 00 the character dynamic is always changing. While those Gundams do have character development it is no where near at the level of indepth, heart wrenching development we see the five pilots go through. It is more slapped together in a short few episodes than built upon later, unlike in Wing were the development is gradual and on-going.

Personally, the new Gundams look like clowns to me. Big shoes, impractial armor, annoying color schemes that would be ruined in an instante in a battle. They would weigh so much that could NEVER in a million years fly with all the recharable battery power in the world. In Wing they DONT fly, and there are practical mobile suits like Aries and Picese. Not those Zauoks that would in reality drive like slugs, or lion mobile suits.....

I guess that really Wing keeps true to the Gundam spirit. That and the characters kick-butt.
I think many fans of the original Gundam series and other series based on the same timeline will throw this argument back at you as to why the original was better than Wing.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 01:57   Link #168
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

One of the coolest gundams are in this show and i had the models b4 i watched the show so that made this series that much more interesting.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 04:25   Link #169
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
I think many fans of the original Gundam series and other series based on the same timeline will throw this argument back at you as to why the original was better than Wing.
You are correct, but the counter-argument to that would be that like other alternate universe Gundam series, Gundam Wing is a rehash of sorts of the original, thus using a similar format based on the original. It just wasn't as blatantly obvious like Gundam SEED (and its following series.) So, using the argument that it "stole" ideas from the original is an instant debate killer until someone points out that if Gundam Wing came out first, it would be the other way around.
Old 2008-07-21, 04:29   Link #170
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

And its arguments like those that make me not compare one series of a metaseries with another. I can derive more enjoyment that way. Frankly, while I enjoyed Gundam Wing I couldn't get into the original Gundam series at all.
Old 2008-07-21, 04:40   Link #171
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
And its arguments like those that make me not compare one series of a metaseries with another. I can derive more enjoyment that way. Frankly, while I enjoyed Gundam Wing I couldn't get into the original Gundam series at all.
Yep. I totally agree with you. Being that it was an alternate universe, I judged it upon how it entertained me without comparing it to the original.
Old 2008-07-23, 07:54   Link #172
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Like I mentioned before, the seiyu are the ones that make me mildly interested in the series. It's a bit weird to hear Duo Maxwell and remind yourself that he's Rau in Gundam Seed. Midorikawa Hikaru is creepy as Heero, which is unlike his "oji-sama" roles. As for Orikasa Ai's Quatre, why didn't anyone in the show point out that he sounds exactly like a lady? That same voice was used by Orikasa-san in her Claymore role as Galatea....

Yajima Akikio was superb as as Relena: the "helpless" princess. Oh, and I cannot recall who voices Trowa and Wufei, even if to save my life...

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 14:27   Link #173
minayuri

I pretty much liked Gundam Wing because of the complex characters, with each episode, I learned something new about the kinds of people they are. Treize and Zechs rank as my favorite characters of the series, especally Treize for being elegant and the ever charismatic gentleman.
minayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 14:36   Link #174
velocity7

I liked Endless Waltz, but not the TV series save for a few episodes. That's just my take on it.
Old 2011-02-16, 14:38   Link #175
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
What kind of a silly topic is this again XD?

I liked Endless Waltz a lot but the series is just a bunch of emos with slow and poor pacing.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 15:29   Link #176
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post

I liked Endless Waltz a lot but the series is just a bunch of emos with slow and poor pacing.
I strongly disagree but am not really in the mood to argue.
Old 2011-02-16, 19:48   Link #177
Amuroray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post

this.

Endless waltz was average but wing was one of the worse anime i've seen.

2d characters,awful pacing,crap plot,rubbish animation.
Garbage show.
Amuroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 20:34   Link #178
Washu-Chan