AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 11 7.43%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 17.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 27.70%
7 out of 10 : Good 39 26.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 21 14.19%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-23, 21:39   Link #281
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^Awwwww $hit ...

My new job is killing my anime investigation time...So is Graham not cool now?
At least he's no longer gay. (( yet. ))

But hey, how is an unreasonable, unpredictable, brash and forceful Gundam-infatuated pilot who can still keep his cool and speak decent English (( sentimentalism actually sounded... English )) not cool?
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 21:39   Link #282
Marsala
Delurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Well as they explained it they hid it along with the other containers that are carrying raw materials for space colony development.

So long as Virtue's pod's weight is the same as the others, they security guards won't bother opening it up.
It's pretty ridiculous, though. An apocalyptic terrorist group would have the elevators as primary targets, and they could just as easily sneak in a massive bomb. Not having thorough inspections is as silly as giant flying transforming robots with lightsabers. And we certainly don't want that level of silliness in Gundam, do we?

Seriously, it's a suspension of disbelief issue. Realistically, there would be detailed inspections, but for the sake of the story it's disregarded.
Marsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 21:54   Link #283
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsala View Post
It's pretty ridiculous, though. An apocalyptic terrorist group would have the elevators as primary targets, and they could just as easily sneak in a massive bomb. Not having thorough inspections is as silly as giant flying transforming robots with lightsabers. And we certainly don't want that level of silliness in Gundam, do we?

Seriously, it's a suspension of disbelief issue. Realistically, there would be detailed inspections, but for the sake of the story it's disregarded.
There are such things as bribes and procedural loopholes and no matter how good security of ANYTHING is, there will always be something to circumvent it, depending on one's resources and willingness to do so. Something like Celestial Being, that has been able to keep the Gundams a secret for so long, and possessing considerable financial, technological, and influential resources, perhaps amassed over a period of 200 years, it wouldn't suprise me that they've been able to do so.
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 21:59   Link #284
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Besides, it's ridiculous to assume that EVERY container (( each weighing several tonnes )) gets carefully checked one by one anyway.

I believe we can assume that the containers go through automated scanning devices to filter out and see if there's any forms of explosives and dangerous materials inside. But here's the CATCH. Gundams use a power source unheard of so conventional pan-and-scan would not detect anything dangerous, not to mention they JAM scanners and radars.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 22:07   Link #285
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
There are such things as bribes and procedural loopholes and no matter how good security of ANYTHING is, there will always be something to circumvent it, depending on one's resources and willingness to do so. Something like Celestial Being, that has been able to keep the Gundams a secret for so long, and possessing considerable financial, technological, and influential resources, perhaps amassed over a period of 200 years, it wouldn't suprise me that they've been able to do so.
Except none of that was given as an excuse, but rather, the laxness in security. And that's just something people have to accept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Gundams use a power source unheard of so conventional pan-and-scan would not detect anything dangerous, not to mention they JAM scanners and radars.
Jamming scanner and radar during an inspection (if there is one) would certainly alert security to it, so I doubt they would do that.
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 22:11   Link #286
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In front of my computer
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsala View Post
It's pretty ridiculous, though. An apocalyptic terrorist group would have the elevators as primary targets, and they could just as easily sneak in a massive bomb. Not having thorough inspections is as silly as giant flying transforming robots with lightsabers. And we certainly don't want that level of silliness in Gundam, do we?

Seriously, it's a suspension of disbelief issue. Realistically, there would be detailed inspections, but for the sake of the story it's disregarded.
Just think as there is CB's people inside the security staff. Considering how long the elevator has been there, it's not hard to plant an agent into the security HQ (don't know what to use here, so HQ, instead ).
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 22:17   Link #287
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Besides, it's ridiculous to assume that EVERY container (( each weighing several tonnes )) gets carefully checked one by one anyway.
Thank You! Ladies and Gentleman, a round of applause for a simple and plausable answer. It's the same deal the U.S is faced with in trying to search all import shipments coming into the country.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 22:19   Link #288
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Thank You! Ladies and Gentleman, a round of applause for a simple and plausable answer. It's the same deal the U.S is faced with in trying to search all import shipments coming into the country.
Compound this fact, is if CB have inside-information on how containers get selected for examination, it would be relatively easy to bypass searches without leaving a trace.

It's like that recent incident of some airport baggage handlers being recruited for transporting illicit drugs.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 22:23   Link #289
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Besides, it's ridiculous to assume that EVERY container (( each weighing several tonnes )) gets carefully checked one by one anyway.

I believe we can assume that the containers go through automated scanning devices to filter out and see if there's any forms of explosives and dangerous materials inside. But here's the CATCH. Gundams use a power source unheard of so conventional pan-and-scan would not detect anything dangerous, not to mention they JAM scanners and radars.
True, I guess it's like the smuggling illegal Chinese immigrant through cargo ship to the U.S. There are so many cargoes that it's almost impossible to inspect them and resulting that many illegal Chinese immigrants come to the US.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 22:38   Link #290
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Except none of that was given as an excuse, but rather, the laxness in security. And that's just something people have to accept. Jamming scanner and radar during an inspection (if there is one) would certainly alert security to it, so I doubt they would do that.
If they snuck the container in with the rest of the containers (which would be of equal weight) and changed or manipulated the manuscript, then it's not gonna be checked. Simple as that. Security may do random checks but that's still up to luck.

If there's an abnormality then security would check it.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 22:50   Link #291
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
As for the whole container debate, watch HBO's The WIRE season 2...Hiding in a container is like warming pop-tarts...People forget whether it be this century or the next, the government will always have lackadasical employees who miss stuff based on a bevy of things...

Joe: Hey Mitch you checked all those containers??

Mitch: Yeah man...

Joe and Mitch : Hahahahahaha!!

Joe : Hey bring me back a pack of smokes on your next break man...


Just that would be enuff for Virtue to get upstairs^^...

On another note, Virtue looks like a biga$$ SDGundam doesn't it? xD



Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
He makes more sense now... Though in Gundam, the less sense you make, the cooler you are, apparently...
That cut me deep man, that really cut me deep...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 22:59   Link #292
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Simple as that.
Of course, which is why the security is lax (especially considering they just had a problem with terrorists getting through their defenses two episodes ago). But, like I said, there's nothing to do about it except to accept it.
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 23:03   Link #293
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia.
Age: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohitsuji View Post
Yeah Nyoro~n butchered the translation. I usually download Anon, but got impatient after watching the RAW, so I picked up nyoron. My Japanese isn't even that great (barely in my third year of language course), and I could pick out a lot of errors. I watched Men-Clave afterwards and it was a lot better. A LOT better.
Not to mention the superb quality of M-C's videos
__________________
Zenemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 23:13   Link #294
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Of course, which is why the security is lax (especially considering they just had a problem with terrorists getting through their defenses two episodes ago). But, like I said, there's nothing to do about it except to accept it.
It's' acceptable because it happens in real life too.

FYI - They got through the defenses because no one expected anyone to run through a debris field and get out of it alive. It's a suicidal run.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 23:40   Link #295
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
It's' acceptable because it happens in real life too.
I guess that strengthens my point, so thanks.
Quote:
FYI - They got through the defenses because no one expected anyone to run through a debris field and get out of it alive. It's a suicidal run.
Just a random thought: if the unexpected can happen, that might be all the more reason to improve their security. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world, so that might be difficult to implement.
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 23:56   Link #296
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I guess that strengthens my point, so thanks.
NP, I was adding on anyways.

Quote:
Just a random thought: if the unexpected can happen, that might be all the more reason to improve their security. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world, so that might be difficult to implement.
That's just how people are. Once a hole is found we usually make attempts to cover it up so it doesn't happen again in the future.

So long as no one finds out that the Gundams are being smuggled they'll be okay and security will remain lax
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 00:12   Link #297
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
Two things:

1. Since it's supposed to be a big stash of materials sent by the elevator maintenance company itself and not some private party, the control staff might very well not deem it necessary to check something that comes from within and not from without...unless they have overbearing paranoia or too much time on their hands. It's like having the FBI check its own packages in fear that Al-Qaeda might have swapped a mail-delivered employee pay check with an anthrax-coated envelope. You usually don't bother about stuff you send yourself but rather focus on the swarm of objects civillians and other companies shuffle to space on a daily basis.

2. It's also possible that Celestial Being could have an inside man within the control staff, who ensures that the containers evade inspections by pilfering with the to-do list or directly picking another package instead of the CB-owned good. It would be no wonder if the Gundams are never found...if they aren't even searched in the first place.

3. I'm not sure what exactly the GN particles do but if they are turned on, they could very well dispel or diffuse the scanners' waves rather than reflect them or drown the emitters with white noise - just like a stealth aircraft deflects and absorbs incoming radar waves rather than reflecting them back. As such, nothing might register on the screens. Sure, the phone thingy in ep01 tends to suggest it's a 'white noise' emitter but so far we know so little about the GN particles they might as well be capable of anything.
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2007-10-24 at 00:16. Reason: Syntax, grammar and additional comments
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 00:22   Link #298
Deathwing
what do i know
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
lol... Did you miss the news item of the week?
ok... so the gundams power the spaceship well thats odd but it explains why only 1 gundam went up
and its nice to see that the orginal translation wasnt even close XD
and this new translations make the characters seem if worse
Deathwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 00:30   Link #299
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohitsuji View Post
Edit: I'm reading the thread backwards so bear with this. Someone mentioned how easy it was to transport Virtue through the space elevator. I think it was so easy because it would take way too much man power to effectively "guard" the elevator.
They can control the number of entries relatively easily. I don't see that the elevator would be especially hard to guard, and considering its value, they could requisition as much manpower as they want.


Quote:
Also, it'd be a stupid move on anyone's part to actually try and commit terrorism at the elevator (e.g. blowing it up) since its and the solar rings or whatever are the primary power source for the world now, and also because destroying an elevator would most likely jack up the rest of the earth ala dropping a colony onto the planet.
Offhand, I can think of two reasons to want to blow it up:
1) You have your own elevator and want a competitive advantage
2) You don't have your own elevator and want the rich bastards who do to share your pain.

As for what would happen should it get critically damaged - one part would fall to the ground, the other would fly off into space. The worst that could happen with regards to the colony is that the later would impact one or more of them, but there's no reason they should fall.

The part falling to the earth could do a lot of damage, but since it'd be centered in the territory of its owner, why would the saboteurs care?

Quote:
So I'm betting each faction sort of agrees that they don't need to place too much military guard on them (even in ep. 1, Setsuna is like "so its true they've built hangars on the elevator" at AEU's unfinished elevator).
And that sounds stupid of them.

It would make more sense that the CB have inside people, but that's not the explanation they went with.

And if they scan the container... Either they see a gundam, which is suspect, or they don't see anything, which isn't much better and should at least cause a closer inspection. IIRC, it's implied they scan it, and don't care that they can't see anything.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 00:36   Link #300
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
IIRC, it's implied they scan it, and don't care that they can't see anything.
Where was it implied it was scanned? They specified that they check the weight. If Virtue's weight deviated from the rest of the containers then they would check it or did the subs screw up again?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.