AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-02, 10:03   Link #21
ImpulseRAven
I <3 Kotomi

i wonder who she thought tomoya was going out with? because she seemed all surprised when
he said he didn't have a girlfriend to Fuko's sister.
Old 2007-11-02, 10:34   Link #22
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
'Make' the lead your favorite ? Somehow i doubt one actually gets to 'decide' which character he ends up liking the most, lead or not
While with some series I do have my doubts. It's pretty much in your face in this series. Unless they go for the unexpected surprise, but that will get someone on the KyoAni team shot.
Old 2007-11-02, 14:25   Link #23
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Awesome Moe-ness from Nagisa. Ryou and Nagisa are fightin it out for runners up after Kotomi-chan according to me.

Beutiful Reactions..its simply getting too hard to like one particular girl more than the others
Old 2007-11-02, 15:40   Link #24
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I think it's quite remarkable how Nagisa is the one taking the initiative to help out Fuuko instead of Tomoya. To me, this was the big indication that Clannad will be very different from Kanon, at least for Fuuko's arc. There are times when I felt that Nagisa has usurped Tomoya as the primary protagonist who's there to help out all the other characters. I also love how even this early on in the show, she and Tomoya are already working closely together to tackle the problems of the other characters, which in the end makes their own relationship seem all the more believable. Nagisa's definitely my favorite main Key heroine (then again, I was never a big fan of Misuzu or Ayu...).

I'm seriously hoping that Nagisa would play just as big of a role in the other stories as well. It makes her character feel all the more important beyond just her own arc, and worthy of the final after story that I hope will rock as well.
Old 2007-11-02, 15:45   Link #25
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
While with some series I do have my doubts. It's pretty much in your face in this series. Unless they go for the unexpected surprise, but that will get someone on the KyoAni team shot.
I am not saying it is hard to predict which charcter is the lead, but the fact it is somewhat impossible to "decide" which girl you will like. It is an emotional process based on the way one takes things presented to him in anime, so not exactly something one can control
Old 2007-11-02, 15:45   Link #26
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
@Mirrinus: I can't agree more with you: Nagisa isn't the helpless damselle in distress. She is a protagonist by herself and she is nowhere near of passive.
Even though she wasn't able to have a self esteem to begin with, Tomoya triggered it, and her strong set of values and care for others kicked in.

It was really impressive how well she can befriend with other (her very feint interactions with the Fujibayashi Twins and Youhei are quite nice already), and her ability to be a big sister to Fuko was heartwarming. (Not only the classroom scene in the end of episode 5, but also how she hugged Fuko twice in the said episode)

The chemistry doesn't end with Tomoya and such, and her character isn't done "for sake of her arc". I'm fairly expecting some interactions with the other girls already.
That said, her development with Tomoya doesn't cease to be impressivve, even if we aren't in her "arc" anymore, and it is an excellent duo, which leads to your observation: this couple is much more solid than Yuuichi and Ayu.
Old 2007-11-02, 16:04   Link #27
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I am not saying it is hard to predict which charcter is the lead, but the fact it is somewhat impossible to "decide" which girl you will like. It is an emotional process based on the way one takes things presented to him in anime, so not exactly something one can control
I dunno isn't there always some adverse feelings for someone who is already "taken". At least that's how it is with celebs they suddenly become less hot when they get married.
Old 2007-11-02, 17:04   Link #28
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Wasn't the fact that Nagisa was the man heroine already a known way before all of this discussion started?
Old 2007-11-03, 01:01   Link #29
eMpTy265
<unranked>

So far Nagisa's proved to be a more interesting 'main lead' than her counterparts in Air and Kanon.

I suppose it helps that she's not this mysterious 'weird' girl, but also by the fact that Nagisa seems to have more character depth.

As seen from ep.5, Nagisa is both willing and capable of helping others, and is surprisingly proactive when she's got her goals set out.

In this area, I feel that the anime fleshes Nagisa's character out more than in the game. The reasons I won't mention due to spoilers, but the classroom scene between Fuko and Nagisa was a really nice touch.
Old 2007-11-04, 22:03   Link #30
cshard

You mean the one when she smiles at Fuuko? I thought her eyes really looked like her mother at that point.

The 2 lead character dynamic is pretty underused really. Most times you get one character dominating the other. It's quite a refreshing change really - I never like to see heroines relying too much on the male lead.
Old 2007-11-10, 00:21   Link #31
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

You know, I think I realize why I like Nagisa and Tomoya so much.

My personal favorite romance novel is Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. What I found so intriguing about the romance presented in that novel was simply that it didn’t feel like the focus at all. Sure, there was a couple that finally got together at the end, but the main focus wasn’t really any sort of tension or attraction between the two. Instead, the vast majority of the story concerned their relationships with other people and their working together professionally. Even though they didn’t really become a couple at all until the very end of the story, such a conclusion was surely but slowly being built up precisely through the comraderie and fellowship that the two enjoyed, not as lovers, but as fellow workers that first got to know and overcome the rough sides of each other’s character. On paper, the conclusion looks like it may have just come out of nowhere, but looking back at the subtle nuiances that each character displayed not only towards each other, but alongside one another toward others, the ending looks quite natural and inevitable.

In Clannad, I see something similar to this going on. Sure, Tomoya and Nagisa aren’t kissing or hugging or doing any other overtly romantic actions, but they are accomplishing something even more important in a relationship: the sense of comraderie, just like that portrayed in Far from the Madding Crowd. This is a type of romance that I much rather prefer over all the other types of “romance” being thrown around in other shows (some of which I wouldn’t even call by such a title). It’s not about each character obviously stating their romantic affections; it’s about building up to that satisfying conclusion through the little day-to-day interactions not just with each other, but other characters as well. I’m personally loving how the Fuuko arc is being used to display just how how well Nagisa and Tomoya work together, interweaving determination and smarts, compassion and commitment. I’m strongly hoping that Nagisa won’t take the back seat in the later arcs either, so that this partnership (that’s the word I wanted!) could continue to develop.
Old 2007-11-17, 03:42   Link #32
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
It's refreshing to see a character like Nagisa, who is relatively with it, in a genre and to some extent series where that is not really the case for most characters. I like very much that Nagisa isn't ridiculously over the top, and that she doesn't just have one trait that defines her whole character. She feels like she could potentially exist without too much trouble as a person in our real life society (or at least is approaching such a possibility), and that's something rare in anime, but that really shouldn't be too hard to do with a little effort. She's even showcases some wit in some of her interactions, and actually reacts as one might expect of a given individual in a real society when confronted with varying situations. Again a shameful rarity in anime, especially this genre.

Yeah, so Nagisa is pretty likeable overall, probably the most so in this series, and currently is the character I feel has the most depth, which is good because she's obviously the lead female.
Old 2007-11-20, 08:43   Link #33
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

Kinda cute character... Her entrance really amazed me also....
Old 2007-11-20, 14:32   Link #34
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
I think it's quite remarkable how Nagisa is the one taking the initiative to help out Fuuko instead of Tomoya. To me, this was the big indication that Clannad will be very different from Kanon, at least for Fuuko's arc. There are times when I felt that Nagisa has usurped Tomoya as the primary protagonist who's there to help out all the other characters. I also love how even this early on in the show, she and Tomoya are already working closely together to tackle the problems of the other characters, which in the end makes their own relationship seem all the more believable. Nagisa's definitely my favorite main Key heroine (then again, I was never a big fan of Misuzu or Ayu...).
QFT!

Although I do like Ayu a lot.

Nagisa is so cute and charming, that I already invested +45 hours of trace work in her.

She is my favorite Clannad girl so far!
Old 2007-11-20, 17:31   Link #35
The Timotei Teller
Hot under these lights...

I know pretty much everyone's said this already, but I'm gonna say it anyway...
Nagisa is so flippin' adorable!

Last edited by The Timotei Teller; 2007-11-20 at 21:12.
Old 2007-11-24, 02:00   Link #36
d.sinclair

I couldn't agree more with what Mirrinus said. People might be discontent with the length of the Fuuko arc, but I think the time taken with the arcs centered around other characters will lead to an even bigger payoff when the final arc rolls around. It will just be that much more satisfying to watch the two, after gradually and subtly warming to each other over a long period of time, to finally get together.

And I agree that it's the sense of partnership, together with the subtlety of their interactions and development, that makes Tomoya and Nagisa's relationship so much more endearing and realistic to me than some of the other romances this season. Not that I don't enjoy the tension in something like ef, but like Mirrinus I am a much bigger fan of romance that is not all melodrama but that contains a simple and heartwarming sense of togetherness, coupled with a nice gradual development that isn't all focused on the main couple and their blatant feelings for one another.

Yup, the naive romantic within me shows itself

Clannad might be inevitably similar to Air and Kanon in following the formula, but I think it stands above the other Key adaptations because of how they are developing the main couple. I mean, I like the other girls but I really hope that in retrospect the series will at the core be about Tomoya and Nagisa, rather than being a series of disparate stories, which the other adaptations leaned towards. Kyoani is showing positive signs of fixing the mistake they made in Kanon of rushing Yuuichi and Ayu, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one goes.
Old 2007-11-24, 02:49   Link #37
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

The latest episode (episode 8) made me really think that the focus wasn't on Fuuko at all. I mean, sure she's being forgotten by everyone, but other than that she didn't seem like she played that huge of a role. Most of the time, she was just standing there looking quiet and despondent as each person struggled to remember her. But who was it who were reacting the most to the people who forgot her? Tomoya and Nagisa, of course. They were the ones who urged people to remember Fuuko. They were the ones discussing amongst themselves what to do with Fuuko. They spent an awfully large amount of time together in this episode, driving it forward in ways like buying Fuuko a present to take her mind off of her dilemma. Oh, and there was the next episode preview...which was just adorable.

And of course, there was that fountain scene. I'm going to shamelessly steal what cshard said about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshard
Was it just me, or was Fuuko looking at Tomoya and Nagisa when they were at the fountain,and thinking to herself, "these two make a great couple"? A child's approval of her "parents" relationship FTW.
So yeah...Tomoya + Nagisa ftw! I cannot honestly say that these last few episodes devoted to Fuuko's arc were wasted in the slightest.
Old 2007-12-08, 01:33   Link #38
luckyfoshizzle

Nagisa is by far my favorite character. "dango, dango, dango", how adorable is that? I absolutely loved Misuzu and Ayu, but I already feel more connected to Nagisa in only 9 episodes than I did with Misuzu or Ayu throughout their entire series (and Nagisa's arc hasn't even come up yet).

Her obvious future relationship with Tomoya seems more realitsic than Ayu and Yuuichi (I forgot his name, is that right?) because they seem to be together a lot, unlike in Kanon where Ayu and Yuuichi were together like, only once in each episode for 3 minutes.

As long as her arc is as emotional and touching as Ayu's and Misuzu's, Nagisa will be my favorite Key character of all time. And if not in the school story then I know for sure it will be in the after story (been reading up in spoilers:[)
Old 2007-12-12, 10:15   Link #39
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
hey
this is kind of my first post here so sorry for any mistakes i might make
also english is not my native speak so bare with me

first of all one must be aware of how much clannad is like kanon and air in some ways (loved both. no complaints)
and so its natural to see some traits in characters from past shows in this one
for example fukos arc was in many ways alot like makotos and also ayu's
but there is a factor in fukos ark that is clearly lacks in the other ones
like it was said before that factor is nagisa
fukos ark is about tomoya and nagisa helping fuko and it is in no way tomoyas story
if either is the one who helps more it is nagisa
now nagisa is clearly the female lead but she is diffrent from ayu and misuzu in several clear ways

1)no wings
(joking but only half so since both air and kanon have a girl with wings)
2)not clumsy
(both ayu and misuzu cant take two steps without falling but nagisa so far has not really been shown as clumsy)
3)Family
(ayu has none for the story and misuzu disfunchnal relations with her mom is one of the saddest parts of her story while nagisas Family seems like the kind of Family you want to have)
4)age
(nagisa is the only non loly in the group as she is older than the lead male)
5)normalty
this is probbly the biggest diffrence
both ayu and misuzus are not normal at all and their pain and tragedy are the reasolt of a fantastic sorce
nagisa is normal (as far as we know for now) and her pain and feelings of self doubt and incecurety are things that everyone can feel for them selves
and that is what i think is what makes her the one character you can like the most
she seems real. she could be the girl sitting behind you in class who no one notices and in that way she is far more like nayuki then ayu
she is also like nayuki in one more way
she is the girl thats alway there
unlike kanon or air tomoya doesnt live with any of the girls in the same house and so his contact with all the girls is limited and its nagisa who he is always seen with when in kanon this role is taken by nayuki and in air by misuzu
and much like nayuki im sure that in her story the saddness will come from a normal sorce
and so for those resonse i like her more then any other girl in key history
p.s when clannad was first advertised at the end of kanon i was sure tomoyo will be my fave but nagisa won me over
and for some reson im really diggin the antenas
Old 2007-12-13, 11:00   Link #40
Mystearika

i agree with blade of darkness nagisa is a really likeable person, and it is also good to see a normal heroine without a tragic background

i am like a lot others rooting for tomoya anf her to get together