AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2004-01-23, 19:38   Link #1
TronDD
Team the box!

Battle Royale

I enjoyed the theme of the Battle Royale movie. Very dark and twisted. But I thought more time should have been spent developing the characters. It would have made their murders and deaths more impactful, I think. Is anyone reading the manga, does it develop the characters more than the movie did?

Edit: I just saw this on Amazon.com "This manga adaptation of the popular and controversial Japanese film offers back stories before plunging into brutality and gore."

I guess that answers the question.

Last edited by TronDD; 2004-01-23 at 19:49.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 19:55   Link #2
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I enjoyed the theme of the Battle Royale movie. Very dark and twisted. But I thought more time should have been spent developing the characters. It would have made their murders and deaths more impactful, I think. Is anyone reading the manga, does it develop the characters more than the movie did?

Edit: I just saw this on Amazon.com "This manga adaptation of the popular and controversial Japanese film offers back stories before plunging into brutality and gore."

I guess that answers the question.
I love when answers come before the post is responded to XD.

I'm surprised there's even a manga/movie just called "Battle Royale" I mean.. there's like "Sonic battle royale", "FF battle royale", "Chrono battle royale", "other misc. games/anime battle royale", "Your grandma and grampa battle royale"....etc, but never JUST battle royale .
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 21:03   Link #3
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
i read the first volume of Battle Royale, yes they do give you a good bit of backstory, at least for the characters surrounding the main ones.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 21:09   Link #4
TronDD
Team the box!

What did you think of it? Still interested in reading it or did you get turned off by something?
Old 2004-01-24, 04:29   Link #5
Bedlam
Delphic Babel

it was a little too sexual for my tastes... just skimmed through it though... anyway, loved the movie. heard battle royale 2 wasn't as good... maybe since the director that did the first movie died before finishing the second one... too bad.
Old 2004-01-24, 13:05   Link #6
The dreamer

But it was finish by is son ! you can find it on internet now somewhere ...(i think the end is soooooooo long !)

The manga is good, i have 4 tome and it's really interesting ! a sort of re-writting of the first movie, after be a little annoying (i think), now it's interesting ^^
The dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 09:26   Link #7
Wendy
Boo!

Send a message via MSN to Wendy
I read the first 2, but then actually started to read the original novel which I prefer because it goes into so much more character depth.
Though, when I get some more money, I'll probably end up buying a few more volumes of the manga
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 16:37   Link #8
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
I'm at volume 5 and I have to say that I like it. I didn't saw the movie but the manga is pretty interesting with the storyline and char development.

It gets REALLY bloody, but I guess it can't be helped. The story picked up in the last two volumes, but since there are a lots of chars, the plot is pretty compact.

Interesting.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 16:54   Link #9
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

A lot of the characters have a pre-story when you first meet them. For some it's short for others it can be pretty long. It is very bloody but that isnt as disturbing at times as who it happens to and in what situation or how it happened to them. You will have to read it to understand. There are some hardcore sex scenes in a couple of issues as well. This is just an all around extreme and adult manga. It's good though. I think it's better than the movie. I may get the book later.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 17:05   Link #10
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStar
There are some hardcore sex scenes in a couple of issues as well.
I think they were pretty pointless. :P
Old 2004-01-27, 17:35   Link #11
TronDD
Team the box!

Ok. I read the first 3 volumes this weekend.

Man, I almost threw up. I got what I asked for. The deaths had a much greater impact. The gore isn't even the worst part ( though the deaths are more drawn out). They write the story such that, at a point when something is going to happen between certain characters, they give you the back story. Kinda like "Hey, this person is about to die, here's why you should care" then they die. It's not great story telling but it works well enough. Some major characters have on going back stories and there were a couple "side stories" to give some more depth to a couple characters.

So far the sex is just disturbing by itself. Otherwise not really necessary. That's the worst part. I just can't stomach rape at all, thank you very much

SwiftStar summed it up pretty well.
Old 2004-01-27, 19:36   Link #12
westsideplaya
Anime ga suki desu

I've read up to volume 11 (12 comes out next month) and I am enjoying it immensely. It fleshes out the characters alot better than the movie, but not as good as the novel. I also enjoy the visuals of the manga for the characters and their upcoming deaths. If you threw up after reading the first three volumes, I suggest you stop reading because it gets a lot worse in terms of sex and violence. But that aside, this manga is hot.
westsideplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 09:32   Link #13
TronDD
Team the box!

Great...something to look forward to.

I just want to see the "teacher" get his.
Old 2004-01-28, 12:36   Link #14
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideplaya
I've read up to volume 11 (12 comes out next month)
They aren't ~250 pages volumes right? Since there are only 3 more releases here 'till the manga finishes and we are at the 5th volume..
Old 2004-01-28, 12:53   Link #15
westsideplaya
Anime ga suki desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
They aren't ~250 pages volumes right? Since there are only 3 more releases here 'till the manga finishes and we are at the 5th volume..
They average about 200 pages for each volume. The way its going, it will probably end in like 2 or 3 volumes.
Old 2004-01-28, 15:20   Link #16
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

How does your first volume ends? Just wondering. :P
Old 2004-01-28, 17:01   Link #17
westsideplaya
Anime ga suki desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
How does your first volume ends? Just wondering. :P
It ends with mitsuko "scything" that girl in the neck, then a shot of the teahcer talking, than a shot of mitsuko leaving the building where she killed the girl.
Old 2004-01-28, 17:47   Link #18
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Same, I wonder where I read that the manga will be only 8 volumes and not more..
Old 2004-03-03, 12:56   Link #19
e2-
Genius!

Battle Royale

I have only one question how the hell did they manage to do the manga so long if the movie is so short... The manga got 11 albums :/ i have the first 5 (all u can get from finland)
e2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 13:22   Link #20
TronDD
Team the box!

Because, unlike the movie, the manga actually gives the characters a background. That's what makes it so much better.