AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-10-25, 16:09   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Pictures file names

I was not sure what section to post so I decided in this one.

Let's take as an example the batch pics that Cats posted in some of the sub-forums. Inside there were tons of pictures. Most of them were like a bunch of numbers in the file name. Why?
I have been in 4chan forums and downloaded random stuff there and most of pictures also are labeled in bunch of numbers. So does anyone know why do they have those numbers as the file name?
Old 2007-10-25, 16:19   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Give an actual example of these "bunch of numbers" (or at least a link to the posts in question).

And the question should have been asked in the Tech Support forum since it has nothing to do with the actual site as far as I can tell.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 16:19   Link #3
monster

I didn't see the pictures in question. But one possible reason is that sometimes, like if it's a screen capture, they would have random numbers as the file name because the software used would name them like that by default. That's because the software has no idea what that picture means to you other than it being an image file. If you use ffdshow to grab a screen, for example, you would have the word "grab" followed by some numbers as the default filename.

By the way, I think this would be better in the silly question thread rather than here.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 16:29   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I don't think this thread has anything directly to do with AnimeSuki, so I'm moving it to the Tech Support forum.

To answer your question, some image boards (like 4chan or Danbooru) seem to give uploaded images a unique code in order to avoid filename collisions in case somebody uploads images with the same filename.

One commonly used "code" is the unix timestamp of the upload time of the image, which is measured in the number of seconds since Jan 1 1970 (for example "1193347588"). The other common code would be the md5 checksum of the file in hex (for example "497f5953e858bd331e942d811fb731c7"), which uniquely identifies the file.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 16:45   Link #5
Tiberium Wolf

Oh thx for the info GHDpro. I did check some(the ones that had letters in it) for the md5 code and since they didn't match I though I was wrong.
Old 2007-10-25, 17:29   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well that md5 thing is just a guess of mine. Danbooru's filenames do look like they're md5 checksums, but I didn't count the characters, so they could be 40 byte SHA-1 checksum instead (like a torrent infohash). Or perhaps the md5 might be calculated from something else than the file contents, who knows (well the Danbooru source is public, but I'm not inclined to dig up the exact answer).

Last edited by GHDpro; 2007-10-25 at 17:48. Reason: grammar
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote