AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 17 12.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 20.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 35.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 18.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 4.38%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-30, 17:42   Link #221
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geass View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the President not call a meeting of the Union Congress, and the Union representatives voted on military intervention? The President didn't act alone, the rest of the Union supported the decision.
You might be right. I have no clue as I have yet to watch the subs. In which case I rest my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
The reconstruction wars. Where fossil fuels ran out as well I think and the world fell into war and after the deployment of nuclear weapons all sides sat down and drew up a new treaty and new borders.

In that case, Korea, vietnamn, and Japan united with China to form the Republic of East Asia.
Not to mention the whole of Russia, Middle East, Central Asia, and Europe joining up to form the Eurasian Federation...
Old 2007-10-30, 17:51   Link #222
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
To clarify, the President called a special meeting with all representatives in which they all agreed to deploy the Atlantic Fleet to Talibia with the support of the American fleet.

Quote:
Not to mention the whole of Russia, Middle East, Central Asia, and Europe joining up to form the Eurasian Federation...
Well they do break up into civil wars.

Quote:
Even without putting it in the narration, a dialog between intelligent people would have been much nicer than a lesson between a private tutor and her rather slow-witted pupil.
It is awkward having that same narration after the opening. Couldn't they just do it before the opening?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 18:38   Link #223
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
This episode didnt exactly play out the way I thought but still interesting indeed. I was more impressed by the political fallout from each country to show a position of strength (which happens in our world everyday). Also, once again the U.S. is painted as the quote unquote bad guy sigh but i wont touch on that.
I'm not American, but I certainly don't think the US president is portrayed unfairly this episode. Brian had to defend his nation's access to electricity, because it is just as vital to America's existence as something like clean drinking water. All in all, this is one of the more sympathetic portrayal of an American president that I've seen in Anime.
Old 2007-10-30, 19:29   Link #224
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Well they do break up into civil wars.
The "civil war" in Destiny was just the Eurasian military massacring just about everyone and everything, mostly because the people were against joining up with the Atlantic Federation.

Quote:
It is awkward having that same narration after the opening. Couldn't they just do it before the opening?
But that would just make it too similar to Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny, I guess...
Old 2007-10-30, 19:39   Link #225
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I'm not American, but I certainly don't think the US president is portrayed unfairly this episode. Brian had to defend his nation's access to electricity, because it is just as vital to America's existence as something like clean drinking water. All in all, this is one of the more sympathetic portrayal of an American president that I've seen in Anime.
True this is how the U.S have always done their foreign policy, they would do anything to protect their vital interest as shown in Guatemala and Iran.
Old 2007-10-30, 19:40   Link #226
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Not the way the American President is portrayed. Watch the comments stayed about America when the Talibia President is announcing their sucession its clear what the underlining tones are.
Old 2007-10-30, 19:42   Link #227
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
True this is how the U.S have always done their foreign policy, they would do anything to protect their vital interest as shown in Guatemala and Iran.
Any country would do the same, especiall if it's vital to stability or economy. That's why the Union voted to send their fleets to Talibia with an American fleet in support.

Having a country near your lifeline which isn't even part of your federation is simply too much of a risk to have. The elevator supplies energy not just to the US but to all Union members(So they have a major stake in this as well). As I said before, in that world, the Union wouldn't hesitate if they had to wipe Talibia off the face of the Earth.

Quote:
Watch the comments stayed about America its clear what the underlining tones are.
You mean how they intervene in foreign affairs to ensure the safety and security of their people and national interests?

What government DOESN'T look out for it's own people and interests?
Old 2007-10-30, 19:47   Link #228
brightman
Ancient Member

Ratings this week:

5.5%, good for three way tie at 8th place.

Looking much more consistent than Destiny, which is a good thing.
Old 2007-10-30, 19:54   Link #229
Marsala
Delurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Not the way the American President is portrayed. Watch the comments stayed about America when the Talibia President is announcing their sucession its clear what the underlining tones are.
The Talibian president was probably lying or exaggerating in order to boost the popularity of his secession attempt. Also, he may have been faking it in order to achieve closer ties with America, as Marrina's adjutant suggested. That propaganda shouldn't be taken literally.

So far, the Union president and his aide have been the most sympathetic of the 3 faction political leaders. The HRL seem more hard line and are into shady eugenic experiments and the AEU have been breaking treaties and selling arms to everyone, allowing terrorists to obtain them. President Brian and David are cynical about Celestial Being's intentions and about idealism in general, but they don't seem sinister about it, especially compared to Lenin-lookalike Aeolia Schenberg.
Marsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 20:03   Link #230
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Here's a curious question that no one really can't answer, but I'd like to hear everyone's speculations and thoughts on this. Obviously, we see Setsuna and Marina in one scene of the opening sequence. My curiousity is what kind of connection would they have? Love intrested seems to be what's going around the most, but I'm partial to the concept considering that Marina is 24 and Setsuna is 16... Any thoughts on this?
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 20:17   Link #231
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

A grunt unit which can outmaneuver a Gundam (even if it is customized). When was the last time that happened in a Gundam show? The Union Flag Graham Custom is rapidly turning out to be one of my all-time favourite suits.

On other notes, not too bad an episode, and the combat choreography was actually interesting this time round. As expected, this Gundam show continues the trend where it's still better when it's focusing on the MS battles, and not on spouting some questionable lines (although there's still a bit of that in this episode). I have no problems giving this one an 8.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 20:23   Link #232
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
Here's a curious question that no one really can't answer, but I'd like to hear everyone's speculations and thoughts on this. Obviously, we see Setsuna and Marina in one scene of the opening sequence. My curiousity is what kind of connection would they have? Love intrested seems to be what's going around the most, but I'm partial to the concept considering that Marina is 24 and Setsuna is 16... Any thoughts on this?
As one person posted, it's just a number.

Besides, Shakespeare was what? 18 when he married his wife or was 28 at the time?
Old 2007-10-30, 20:45   Link #233
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Probably Setsuna is Marina's long lost brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Ratings this week:

Looking much more consistent than Destiny, which is a good thing.
Good. Back into top 10th again!
Old 2007-10-30, 20:46   Link #234
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
A grunt unit which can outmaneuver a Gundam (even if it is customized). When was the last time that happened in a Gundam show?
Gundam X with the New Earth Federations Valient Series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 20:53   Link #235
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Gundam X with the New Earth Federations Valient Series.
The SUMO came after...

Of course, the BuCUE did a good job outmaneuvering Strike before Kira started applying hax to it. And Rau's GuAIZ also did the same to Mu's Strike.

And I guess you can say Chaos Gundam got outmaneuvered by a bunch of Murasames.

Needless to say, it happened quite recently. The most recent cases were Blu Duel and Verde Buster getting overran and killed by grunts.
Old 2007-10-30, 22:43   Link #236
Kageh
Union Ace

Wow, this series is really political, eh?

I got a kick out of the "Super Soldier" from Uberland. haha.

They are really making Graham out to be some kind of super ace. I like the idea of pushing spec on the existing Flag model to stand up to the Gundams.

You gotta love someone like that who goes balls out against something that's clearly superior. Makes Setsuna look like a punk.
Kageh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 22:59   Link #237
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
A grunt unit which can outmaneuver a Gundam (even if it is customized). When was the last time that happened in a Gundam show? The Union Flag Graham Custom is rapidly turning out to be one of my all-time favourite suits.
Gaia got owned by Gouf Ignited. Will that count?
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 23:01   Link #238
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Indeed. I'm just wondering what the hell that maroon flag is in the president's office.

What happened to the stars and stripes?
Old 2007-10-30, 23:28   Link #239
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geass
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the President not call a meeting of the Union Congress, and the Union representatives voted on military intervention? The President didn't act alone, the rest of the Union supported the decision.
He did. But at this point, the Union Congress looks like little more than a rubber-stamping body. Note how much attention is given to them in the episode and in the analysis of the Taribian defeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness
The reconstruction wars. Where fossil fuels ran out as well I think and the world fell into war and after the deployment of nuclear weapons all sides sat down and drew up a new treaty and new borders.

In that case, Korea, vietnamn, and Japan united with China to form the Republic of East Asia.
To me, these federations don't look significantly different from the blocs in Gundam 00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
There certainly is that. American leaders have been given the sharp end of the characterization stick for the last little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Good. Let's hope that this gives them the creative freedom to see their work through the proper finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsala
The Talibian president was probably lying or exaggerating in order to boost the popularity of his secession attempt. Also, he may have been faking it in order to achieve closer ties with America, as Marrina's adjutant suggested. That propaganda shouldn't be taken literally.
Not necessarily. No one raised any serious objection to the guy's points, so they're likely to be close to the truth.
Old 2007-10-30, 23:45   Link #240
lubczyk

The country of Talibia is referring to Venezuela since. The creators use a modern map without even changing the name to Talibia and its boundaries are exactly the same as Venezuela:

Spoiler for Spoiler of plot points for people who have not seen Episode 4:

This makes me think that Azadistan is the result of the creators romanticizing Iran with the institution of a monarchy similiar to the days under Shah.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote