AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 17 12.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 20.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 35.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 18.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 4.38%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-31, 20:17   Link #301
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
There's quite a bit of stuff to consider when building a giant pole that extends from the Earth all the way into space and such.
Technically its more like a suspension bridge hung from geostationary orbit and counterbalanced by the trailing whip out above geosync. At least the first one has to be.

I think the best current plan for one involves capturing a C type Apollo asteroid [like 1996 FG3] to use as the mid point and using it's mass to grow carbon nanotubes. Manuvering things like that by an orion drive would explain why the major factions are short on fissionables.

IIRC NASA seems to think it might be possible to build an initial strand weighing about 20 tons and thicken it up by sending vehicles up it weaving additional strands to the first one...
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 20:28   Link #302
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Like I said, there's a lot more to building and maintaining space elevators (for whatever it is done) than what people are saying. There are lots of things to consider.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 20:31   Link #303
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
I know they did, but the UK didn't let them go without a fight.
I don't remember a fight to keep Canada in the Empire.

Eire left after a democratic vote as to which bits of Ireland wished to remain in the union [i.e. NI voted to stay. Eire voted to leave.]. That didn't provoke the Home Fleet to sortie to invade. Just the IRA and thier American backers refusing to accept the result.

That leaves the US's revolution for the freedom to continue to own slaves and burn out the locals.

Much of the EU is dependant on the oil and gas being shipped in pipes via the Ukraine. Even when there was trouble recently with Gazprom's price structures and cutting off supplies it didn't lead to calls to invade.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 21:09   Link #304
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Eire seceded from the UK. So did the North American Colonies on two seperate occasions.
The United States and Ireland seceded after violent uprisings, and Canada never seceded at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Much of the EU is dependant on the oil and gas being shipped in pipes via the Ukraine. Even when there was trouble recently with Gazprom's price structures and cutting off supplies it didn't lead to calls to invade.
They'd have to invade Russia, and no sane nation would even propose that.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 23:04   Link #305
withered_joy
虫酸が走るわ!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Her husband would be a Prince Consort (like Prince Philip) under the British monarchy system. Only a ruling monarch would be king.
Thanks for the tip. But prince...Setsuna? That still sounds quite ridiculous. I hope it will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I believe that the AEU is supposed to play a much more muted role in this show (or at least in the early going). They are shown to be the least advanced of the three blocs, and they don't even show up in the OP.
I'm now wondering why AEU is even qualified to be in a powerstruggle with the Union and HRL if they aren't very advanced ="= Perhaps economically they are still up to par with them? Even though their orbital elevator was the last to be completed... Bah. I suck with analyzing. I hope they catch up to complicate things some time.
withered_joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 23:12   Link #306
Itadakimasu!
tsun tsun lover
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Itadakimasu!
I think the AEU functions much as NATO did during the Cold War, as leverage against the HRL. Given that there seems to be a degree of military cooperation between the AEU and Union, it may not be an alliance as such but a tacit agreement that they possess a common and formidable rival in the HRL.

Although it seems unlikely, historically such situations are common place. Prior to WWI, the 'natural' alliance in Europe was thought to be between England and Germany, not England and her traditional adversary France. But when Germany got a little too close to England's pole position for comfort.... well we all know what happens next
Itadakimasu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 00:15   Link #307
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
I'm now wondering why AEU is even qualified to be in a powerstruggle with the Union and HRL if they aren't very advanced ="= Perhaps economically they are still up to par with them? Even though their orbital elevator was the last to be completed... Bah. I suck with analyzing. I hope they catch up to complicate things some time.
The elevator's not even completed. That's why they focused all of their resources on building the Enact which basically is a rip-off of the Flag.

Quote:
They'd have to invade Russia, and no sane nation would even propose that.
Not to mention in the 00 universe the elevators are literally lifelines. Given what happened when fossil fuels ran out, it's predictable that any nation would be driven into a frenzy to defend their lifeline which people seem to keep ignoring to continue critizing the US.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 00:21   Link #308
Jays
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hockey Nation
Good Episode... better than the last.

I like how they introduced several new key plot elements.

As well as how they introduced the Zech' of this Gundam; I'm sorry but it's soo bloody evident. The first thing I thought off when he was blasting off in speed and out manuvering the Exia was, "Looks like the Tallgeese and Zech' have have made their way into this Gundam".

Negative for the teacher & student combo of the Saudi country.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 02:21   Link #309
DarkMirage
ευαγγελιον
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
Something strange is, why don't they build more of those solar energy elevators?
Actually I'm not sure if I understood it right, but my impression of the solar energy system is that it is a ring of solar panels that goes around the entire circumference of planet over the equator and it is held in place by three supporting pillars (the space elevators).

As such, building more elevators will not generate more energy, as it merely provides more structural support and distribution channels for the ring of solar panels. Three is probably the minimum number needed to support this ring and any more would just be a waste of resources.
__________________
DarkMirage.com
ThePaper @ irc.rizon.net
Translator for Mendoi-Conclave
DarkMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 03:40   Link #310
Morgun
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMirage View Post
Actually I'm not sure if I understood it right, but my impression of the solar energy system is that it is a ring of solar panels that goes around the entire circumference of planet over the equator and it is held in place by three supporting pillars (the space elevators).

As such, building more elevators will not generate more energy, as it merely provides more structural support and distribution channels for the ring of solar panels. Three is probably the minimum number needed to support this ring and any more would just be a waste of resources.

But building more elevators would provide some redundancy for the world's most vital system. God forbid one of the elevators trips a breaker and the entire alliance/federation/whatever goes dark while they try to find the problem.
Morgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 04:11   Link #311
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
There are probably plenty of redundancies built into each elevator, but building another full blown one is just too expensive.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 05:37   Link #312
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Good Episode... better than the last.

I like how they introduced several new key plot elements.

As well as how they introduced the Zech' of this Gundam; I'm sorry but it's soo bloody evident. The first thing I thought off when he was blasting off in speed and out manuvering the Exia was, "Looks like the Tallgeese and Zech' have have made their way into this Gundam".

Negative for the teacher & student combo of the Saudi country.
With all the Wing references, perhaps Marina grows a mind (or loses it) and that one turns into Dorothy vs. Relena... Its already getting there.
__________________
Copyright 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 08:09   Link #313
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Something I've been wanting to ask, but kept slipping from my mind....

If the beam saber is supposedly unheard-of technology in the Gundam 00 world, how the heck did Professor Whatshisname come up with an anti-beam coating to plaster on the Graham Custom?!

Technically, you shouldn't be able to come up with countermeasures to technologies you didn't even know existed. At least, not within a matter of a week.

EDIT: Of course, if it's just a mistake of the subs, then I'm taking this question back.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 08:13   Link #314
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Something I've been wanting to ask, but kept slipping from my mind....

If the beam saber is supposedly unheard-of technology in the Gundam 00 world, how the heck did Professor Whatshisname come up with an anti-beam coating to plaster on the Graham Custom?!

Technically, you shouldn't be able to come up with countermeasures to technologies you didn't even know existed. At least, not within a matter of a week.

EDIT: Of course, if it's just a mistake of the subs, then I'm taking this question back.
Beam saber technology is not unheard-of tech - the HG Union Flag and Exia manuals refer to the fact that each of the three power blocks have actually engaged in beam saber development in the past (the blue plasma blade on the Union Flag's knife is a remnant from such development), however Celestial Being is the first to have successfuly deployed them in battle.

Thus, they do know about beam technologies and such, but CB basically beat them to perfecting them.
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 09:51   Link #315
withered_joy
虫酸が走るわ!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
The elevator's not even completed. That's why they focused all of their resources on building the Enact which basically is a rip-off of the Flag.
Even though the elevator's not completed, I always thought it was half-functioning for solar-energy-gathering or something ="= Ah wells... my mind is not working these days...too little sleep. AEU sucks, even their "ace"...I hope it was just because he was too full of himself. Interesting how they portrayed the AEU to be lagging when Europe was so powerful a few centuries ago...continuing the trend based on observation, perhaps? Even though Europe is recovering, China+India are growing stronger in a much rapid rate, and US...well...they have the most resources in terms of technology/funding/equipments/whatevers despite their huge debt?
Gah...I don't have much time and patience to be uber-informed about current world events/situations/whatnots so don't get too pissed if I'm mistaken.

...I like the Union because of Ham and his custom Flag Go ahead and seduce Exia, Ham Guy! J/k...(not really.) He does really well in a Flag, so if they put him in a Gundam he'd be like... invincible. I won't be surprised if the Union's going to be the first one to kidnap capture a Gundam. *Anticipates the interaction between Setsuna and Graham*

Two more days till episode 5 =D Then I can see exactly how messed up Allelujah is or amuse myself with the seemingly endless misleading stuff revolving around Setsuna that they have in store for female audiences. I think I'll just...pretend that I don't know about the absurd fact that he hid Exia in Tokyo Bay and somehow managed to breath in water so long and change or whatever. I noticed that when Exia shot out of the water, the surroundings were kinda pitch black. Power outage because of GN particles, perhaps? The place was a little dark to begin with but I thought there were some lights...
...I'm trying to find excuses for why he went unnoticed because it's still bothering me ="=
withered_joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 10:00   Link #316
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by withered_joy View Post
Two more days till episode 5 =D Then I can see exactly how messed up Allelujah is or amuse myself with the seemingly endless misleading stuff revolving around Setsuna that they have in store for female audiences. I think I'll just...pretend that I don't know about the absurd fact that he hid Exia in Tokyo Bay and somehow managed to breath in water so long and change or whatever. I noticed that when Exia shot out of the water, the surroundings were kinda pitch black. Power outage because of GN particles, perhaps? The place was a little dark to begin with but I thought there were some lights...
...I'm trying to find excuses for why he went unnoticed because it's still bothering me ="=
Hmm I finally got to watch the episode, and I can say it's actually reasonable.

- People have been known to dive at such depths for long periods, given sufficient anaerobic exercise and training.
- Also, as to changing Setsuna did enter one the Ptolemy's support pods, which as we've seen is pretty self-sufficient.
- And am I the only one who saw that he dived from what was essentially a warehouse district? Of course it's going to be dark, and there's not going to be much people around to observe Exia flying out of the water.
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 10:17   Link #317
withered_joy
虫酸が走るわ!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Hmm I finally got to watch the episode, and I can say it's actually reasonable.

- People have been known to dive at such depths for long periods, given sufficient anaerobic exercise and training.
- Also, as to changing Setsuna did enter one the Ptolemy's support pods, which as we've seen is pretty self-sufficient.
- And am I the only one who saw that he dived from what was essentially a warehouse district? Of course it's going to be dark, and there's not going to be much people around to observe Exia flying out of the water.
That was a support pod? I was hesitant to believe it was... I didn't really see the him go in the thing, I only saw him staring at Exia's glow as he sank deeper in the water. Ah wells, I probably missed it. As for his diving thing...hm. I guess it is reasonable. However, I'm not so sure about the flying out of the water thing... -____-
withered_joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 10:23   Link #318
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by withered_joy View Post
That was a support pod? I was hesitant to believe it was... I didn't really see the him go in the thing, I only saw him staring at Exia's glow as he sank deeper in the water. Ah wells, I probably missed it. As for his diving thing...hm. I guess it is reasonable. However, I'm not so sure about the flying out of the water thing... -____-
Not sure of the raw you watched this episode for... but that was clearly a support pod he entered, and Exia is shown exiting the same way as Dynames - raised to standing from the support pod hangar.

And you underestimate how easy it is to hide something under the cloak of night, even more so with light pollution, visual contrasting and the dark ocean making visual identification of most things out to sea in such low-light conditions difficult, if not downright impossible.
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 10:39   Link #319
withered_joy
虫酸が走るわ!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Not sure of the raw you watched this episode for... but that was clearly a support pod he entered, and Exia is shown exiting the same way as Dynames - raised to standing from the support pod hangar.

And you underestimate how easy it is to hide something under the cloak of night, even more so with light pollution, visual contrasting and the dark ocean making visual identification of most things out to sea in such low-light conditions difficult, if not downright impossible.
I watched Saiyaman raws and I watched Mendoi-Conclave subs. Maybe my computer screen was too dark because I didn't see that ocean part clearly.
withered_joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 10:43   Link #320
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by withered_joy View Post
I watched Saiyaman raws and I watched Mendoi-Conclave subs. Maybe my computer screen was too dark because I didn't see that ocean part clearly.
Menclave subs clearly show that part, although with a dark screen I guess it would be difficult.

Here's the scene, shopped for brightness and contrast to reveal the pod:

Spoiler for Pod:
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.