AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 17 12.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 20.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 35.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 18.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 4.38%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-29, 06:33   Link #141
withered_joy
虫酸が走るわ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Hmm, and CB being shounen-ai harem with setsuna as half-loli emo center of interest for the rest of gundam meisters? All hail 13-15 female fandom!
Well, the correct terminology would be half-shouta

However, I don't think Saji would join CB, because he's supposedly the neutral side and providing a different, "less-biased" out-look of the events going on, as well as being a character most viewers can relate to because we basically still don't know how CB is going to accomplish their goals. Just my POV, anyway.
withered_joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 07:03   Link #142
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
man, I start to like the HRL , they have balls and bold , also I'm from that region (biased,lol ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Exia lost? Wow. That's interesting!
that wasn't even a fight :/, at best he only hits the damn shield :/
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 08:01   Link #143
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyu View Post
hn ... Nyoron and Zeonic Corps joned for this gundam 00?
Apparently.

If Zeonic is in on this it can't be as bad as it was in 3.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 08:58   Link #144
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Saw the sub

1) Is it me or is that four-eyes girl like those shady guys behind the thrones trying to do something really nasty?

2) I was mistaken about Marina. She has no clue WTF is going on whatsoever. She may dress like Lacus, wear Relena's hairstyle, but the girl's completely clueless if she can be manipulated so easily.

3) Is it just me, or was Celestial Being used either way in this episode? Either they grant Talibia its independence and get used by Talibia, or they crush Talibia and get used by the Union. LMAO.

4) I'm surprised that Graham's black Flag unit is so easily detected on radar. What ever happened to stealth technology from today?

5) Super soldier...? So the HRL has extended-wannabes...pfeh.

6) Is it me or is Sumeragi the first captain that actually is pretty damn smart while still being drop-dead sexy? (Seriously, Wank Liu Mei, stand aside.)

7) Why does Sumeragi need to change into a space-suit when she was in her belly-shirt earlier...in space?

8) Where is the angel bath on the Ptolemaios ?:S
Old 2007-10-29, 09:11   Link #145
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I'm quite pleasantly surprised that the country which intends to "use the country which uses the CB" turns out to be Marina's country.

It seems Marina will learn to gradually mature in politics, instead of some super genius politician leader out of nowhere.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 09:12   Link #146
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
is it me or is there a bit of lady une in the female advisor of the "princess" (dont know her name, the one in the op doing some magic with main guy on a glowing orb).

the main guy hidding his gundam under water in a harbor and swimming down almost defeat the "taking a gundam back to space in a civil space freight" in the hall of fame of incredibilty.

still pretty slow. need to see the subs in order to understand a bit what "Lady Une" tells the "princess".
Old 2007-10-29, 09:22   Link #147
4Tran

It looks like Gundam 00 is in no hurry to change its style of combat choreography, so there's no need to beat that dead horse. In other aspects, I like where the creators are trying to move the story, but I find the execution to be sorely lacking. This episode featured possibly the worst direction and dialogue we've seen thus far. They have to get away from all those disembodied talking heads yapping at one another - it's an awful storytelling device that I don't think works here at all. As for the actual writing, two things stand fairly clear: the rank and file of Ptolemaios truly believe that what they're doing will result in the eradication of war, and the writers' sense of how to perform exposition is just awful (sigh). I thought that it was a rather nice touch when the HRL told us outright how many casualties they suffered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Orb was trying to stop A war. CB is trying to erase all wars in the future even though there is no world-war at all currently in 00. The 3 factions are not fighting each other. This is the first time I know of when a Gundam series is in fact, set in peacetime.
I find this to be a very refreshing change. It certainly allows for all sorts of story ideas that aren't possible when an ongoing war predominates all affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga
Tom Clancy Debt of Honour - Executive Order is rather a gd example of how US politcs is like...
Uh... no. And please don't go there. Tom Clancy's works may be useful for all sorts of things, but a primer on American politics, they certainly are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk
I think the Union uniforms are worse than their American Civil War counterparts. They tend to resemble more the uniforms of France and Prussia during the Napoleonic Wars. You know with the big decorative helmets and such worn during the early 1800s and the late 1700s era. If my history is correct, those type of decorative hats were worn by European powers up through World War I when the majority country saw a need in "protective" head gear.
American uniforms did ape European uniforms; and in fact, they did so until World War II - American soldiers wore the Tommy helmet until 1942.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geass
Agreed, the inclusion of (accurate and detailed) politics and economics has made this series the best so far in my eyes, as well as the best anime of the current season.
By "accurate and detailed", do you actually mean accurate and detailed, or are you more speaking along the lines of "seemingly intuitive and natural"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
"War to end all wars" though sounds a wee bit much like Treize & Zech's war though.
Sounds more like the Great War to me, and we all know how that turned out.
Old 2007-10-29, 09:26   Link #148
Geass
~Power of the King~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
By "accurate and detailed", do you actually mean accurate and detailed, or are you more speaking along the lines of "seemingly intuitive and natural"?
Both, in a way. The maps and borders and such are much appreciated, as well as the fact that the political alignments are at least semi-realistic, no sudden Union of Greece and China being sprung on us.

Quote:
That's what I was trying to refer to, Celestial Being being the trigger for a World War.
Old 2007-10-29, 09:28   Link #149
Geass
~Power of the King~

*double post, computer screwed up*
Old 2007-10-29, 09:31   Link #150
Empire
Independent MS pilot

and still no ep4 in avi... i think I've got to settle with mkv for now, which wasn't the fastest release ever =/
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 10:15   Link #151
Funkatron
Nyow I get it

Send a message via AIM to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
On the Gundam 00 episode 04:

I thought this was an excellent episode. We learn a bit more about how Celestial Being operates, along with a bit little character revelations about Setsuna and Marina, and how they think.

The actions of Celestial Beings impressed me in this episode, in that I thought they would decimate both sides: the Union and the Talibian rebels. Instead, they took out the rebels who were clearly in the wrong.

The Union, whether intentionally to try to coerce Celestial Being to act in destroying the rebels, or in trying to avoid civilian causalities: did not open fire on the rebels or the Gundams.

I support freedom and independence movements for I believe that all nations deserve an independent state like Israel, Palestine, Kurdistan and Taiwan. I will not accept, however; using terrorist actions to achieve such ends:

The Talibian Rebels were hiding in the city and hoping for the Union to turn the city into a battleground, so that they (the Talibian Rebles) may garner local and international support for their secession movement.

I do not approve of using civilians and civilian buildings in cities, towns or villages as shields. The Rebels could have used hit and run tactics and used the jungle or the empty countryside as their bases of operations. Instead, they were willing to use civilians as their shield. For that, I'm glad that Celestial Being doesn't approve of using civilians as shields either.

The end (using civilians in cities as your shield) does not justify the means (secession).

Perfect Episode – a solid 10 out of 10.
I don't think they went for Talabia cause it was in the wrong per se: it was the path of least resistance. If they did what they did in Sri Lanka and merely got in the middle, the Union would have simply come back later and try to re-assimilate Talabia again, causing more battle. By attacking and disabling Talabia and forcing them to crawl back to the Union, they castrated their will to rebel and fight, ending any future conflicts. Quite ingenious
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 11:06   Link #152
4Tran

Other notes:
-The Real IRA ceasefire really is being attributed to Celestial Being's actions.
-Tokyo Bay would seem to be an awful place to hide sensitive military equipment.
-Setsuna flying through the Union fleet looks like a foolhardy stunt.
-How the heck did Ptolemaios find out that Graham was shadowing Exia before Setsuna did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
(incidentally, his Flagg can now pull 12g I think)
Not quite. The custom Flag is capable of handling 12g maneuvers (the g-load). Presumably, this would be both for the machine itself, and the ergonomics for the pilot. This also means that most Flags are incapable of such maneuvers (either for the machine, or pilot, or both).

In real-world aircraft design, most fighters are quite capable of such maneuvers, but the pilots aren't. As a result, most fighters are governed to pull around +9g/-3g. For an older example, the MiG-21 has a maximum g-load of 8g even though its maximum thrust is around 0.8g.

Quote:
Both, in a way. The maps and borders and such are much appreciated, as well as the fact that the political alignments are at least semi-realistic, no sudden Union of Greece and China being sprung on us.
Even that's arguable. First off, in three hundred years' time, a lot can change, and a union of Greece and China are no more impossible than anything else. Having said that, the political alignments in Gundam 00 are still sort of "unique": a power bloc of India, Russia and China is already unusual, but putting them all under a quasi-Communist banner is outright weird. I'm still sort of curious as to how the heck the AEU managed to get European Russia.

The only thing that's any real improvement is that we now have a map for the events. It really does add a lot to the feel of the story, but it's more an indictment of the shows that didn't have one than anything else (08th MS Team is probably the biggest culprit of this, but it was pretty bad in Mobile Suit Gundam as well).

Quote:
That's what I was trying to refer to, Celestial Being being the trigger for a World War.
I was actually referring to a different point: that if they planned to start a "war to end all wars", they'd best look at how well the last one suceeded at such a goal. Since World War I only managed to put off another major war for a short period of time (and did precisely nothing to prevent smaller conflicts), it should be readily apparent that the plan is unworkable unless they had something else in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron
I don't think they went for Talabia cause it was in the wrong per se: it was the path of least resistance. If they did what they did in Sri Lanka and merely got in the middle, the Union would have simply come back later and try to re-assimilate Talabia again, causing more battle.
It seems that Celestial Being targeted Taribia because they were the initiators of the conflict. If they were truly interested in the path of least resistance, they'd be helping the larger power bloc win every time.
Old 2007-10-29, 11:24   Link #153
Funkatron
Nyow I get it

Quote:

It seems that Celestial Being targeted Taribia because they were the initiators of the conflict. If they were truly interested in the path of least resistance, they'd be helping the larger power bloc win every time.

All the interventions before this one were old conflicts. There was no real way to end them but to get in between.

This one was nice and fresh. Yes, Taribia did start it, so the easiest way to handle it would be to quell them instead of just getting in the middle like they've done before
Old 2007-10-29, 11:33   Link #154
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

When Exia launches from Tokyo Bay wouldn't any of Tokyo airport's radar or what not pick it up on their screen or does GN-particles have a stealth effect?
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 11:36   Link #155
Funkatron
Nyow I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
When Exia launches from Tokyo Bay wouldn't any of Tokyo airport's radar or what not pick it up on their screen or does GN-particles have a stealth effect?
It's been states several times that the GN particles block Radar and pretty much messes up most electronics
Old 2007-10-29, 11:58   Link #156
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
OEven that's arguable. First off, in three hundred years' time, a lot can change, and a union of Greece and China are no more impossible than anything else. Having said that, the political alignments in Gundam 00 are still sort of "unique": a power bloc of India, Russia and China is already unusual, but putting them all under a quasi-Communist banner is outright weird. I'm still sort of curious as to how the heck the AEU managed to get European Russia.
I am confused... How can something be no more impossible than anything else, yet at the same time be out-right weird?
Old 2007-10-29, 12:00   Link #157
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
It looks like Gundam 00 is in no hurry to change its style of combat choreography, so there's no need to beat that dead horse. In other aspects, I like where the creators are trying to move the story, but I find the execution to be sorely lacking. This episode featured possibly the worst direction and dialogue we've seen thus far. They have to get away from all those disembodied talking heads yapping at one another - it's an awful storytelling device that I don't think works here at all. As for the actual writing, two things stand fairly clear: the rank and file of Ptolemaios truly believe that what they're doing will result in the eradication of war, and the writers' sense of how to perform exposition is just awful (sigh). I thought that it was a rather nice touch when the HRL told us outright how many casualties they suffered.

I find this to be a very refreshing change. It certainly allows for all sorts of story ideas that aren't possible when an ongoing war predominates all affairs.

Uh... no. And please don't go there. Tom Clancy's works may be useful for all sorts of things, but a primer on American politics, they certainly are not.

American uniforms did ape European uniforms; and in fact, they did so until World War II - American soldiers wore the Tommy helmet until 1942.

I just feel they leave it up to the viewer to connect some pieces, which given what they've given us the past few episodes, hasn't been terribly difficult. It may try some viewers patience, but it's fine by me.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 12:10   Link #158
Geass
~Power of the King~

Quote:
Even that's arguable. First off, in three hundred years' time, a lot can change, and a union of Greece and China are no more impossible than anything else. Having said that, the political alignments in Gundam 00 are still sort of "unique": a power bloc of India, Russia and China is already unusual, but putting them all under a quasi-Communist banner is outright weird. I'm still sort of curious as to how the heck the AEU managed to get European Russia.

The only thing that's any real improvement is that we now have a map for the events. It really does add a lot to the feel of the story, but it's more an indictment of the shows that didn't have one than anything else (08th MS Team is probably the biggest culprit of this, but it was pretty bad in Mobile Suit Gundam as well).
Analysis:
Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations: North America + South America + Japan + Australia, this isn't unrealistic even by current standards.

Human Reform League: Russia + China + India, a communist resurgence is not unlikely, something which could herald a return to communist Russia, which joined in an alliance with China, and then at some point could have either conquered or conviced India to join them.

Advanced European Union: European Union + Turkey + chunk of Russia, a war could easily explain the Russian territory, and Turkey could have simply decided that joining the EU was in their best interest.
Old 2007-10-29, 12:13   Link #159
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geass View Post
Turkey could have simply decided that joining the EU was in their best interest.
I thought Turkey's been trying to join the EU for a while now?
Old 2007-10-29, 12:15   Link #160
Geass
~Power of the King~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessi...European_Union

Tada!