AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-27, 23:00   Link #141
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I don't think Tomoya and Nagisa are exactly a quality couple. By all means, the storyline advanced in a way that made them getting together a nigh-inevitability, but I still think their chemistry is weak, and I've already explained why many, many times before.

If anything, Tomoyo is more Tomoya's "opposite" than anything. She's strong, determined, and studious, while Tomoya is a lazy slacker with neither motivation nor future aspirations. Tomoya pushes her buttons while Tomoyo challenges him. They complete each other like yin and yang.

Tomoya and Kotomi aren't even opposites, they're just radically different in every way possible, lol.
Old 2010-09-28, 02:46   Link #142
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
I don't think Tomoya and Nagisa are exactly a quality couple. By all means, the storyline advanced in a way that made them getting together a nigh-inevitability, but I still think their chemistry is weak, and I've already explained why many, many times before.

If anything, Tomoyo is more Tomoya's "opposite" than anything. She's strong, determined, and studious, while Tomoya is a lazy slacker with neither motivation nor future aspirations. Tomoya pushes her buttons while Tomoyo challenges him. They complete each other like yin and yang.

Tomoya and Kotomi aren't even opposites, they're just radically different in every way possible, lol.
You can call it what you want "opposites" or "radically different", either way I mean the same thing, I think thats what makes it believable that they became a couple.

and sorry, but I think Nagisa and Tomoya are the couple that makes the most sense in Clannad, and the reason why was stressed many times, he gives her strength that she desperately needs and she gives him happiness and eventually a family. And they are just generally cute.
Old 2010-09-28, 04:17   Link #143
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

No....just being completely different doesn't make you a good couple. It just means your different and have less of a chance to connect on something. I know there's that "opposites attract" mantra, but they aren't opposites, they're just two different people from two different walks of life and hardly share a personal connection at all. You have to share something in order to be a good couple. I guess Kotomi and Tomoya had that childhood friend thing going on? I don't know why he put up with her, honestly, she'd just annoy me.

Quote:
and sorry, but I think Nagisa and Tomoya are the couple that makes the most sense in Clannad
Right, and I said the same thing because that's just how the story advanced. On a personal level, sorry, I just don't feel like they had much of anything to do with each other. Tomoya helped her timid little ass out, she was kinda sorta nice to him, they hooked up, yadda yadda... Nagisa's pretty dull, tbh.

I mean, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if you'd read Tomoyo's arc in the visual novel. It's just uncanny how Tomoyo and Tomoya connect right off bat under such hilarious circumstances...and it's all so believable. Between the Sunohora beatings, she has a few words with him and she's all "for some reason, I feel a lot more comfortable talking to you". Of course she is, Tomoya is lax that way (in stark contrast to his idiot friend). And Tomoya is, of course, not taking shit seriously at all until they hang out some more and she starts to grow on him.

That's how real romances develop. You don't know the person, one initiates, the other accepts, the attraction eventually becomes mutual...none of this "let me go completely out of my way to help you with everything because I have nothing better to do" crap. I mean, Tomoya didn't help Tomoyo win student council in her route at all, he actually hated the idea and bagged on it every chance he got, then told her up front "yo babe fuck the student council, let's make out". Then they just throw caution to the wind lol.

The story just gets better and better from there. I fuckin' love it...going to read it for a third or fourth time tomorrow just because it's that good and I have some time to kill. TomoyoxTomya forever, bitches.
Old 2010-09-28, 08:56   Link #144
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Quote:
No....just being completely different doesn't make you a good couple. It just means your different and have less of a chance to connect on something. I know there's that "opposites attract" mantra, but they aren't opposites, they're just two different people from two different walks of life and hardly share a personal connection at all. You have to share something in order to be a good couple. I guess Kotomi and Tomoya had that childhood friend thing going on? I don't know why he put up with her, honestly, she'd just annoy me.
In my experiance, opposites tend to connect with a lot of things, you ever seen an outgoing girl with a timid best friend?, I do all the time, those kind of friends are always really tight.

It's silly to say that having different personalities would mean no connection, is that what connection is about? Being similar?

Quote:
Right, and I said the same thing because that's just how the story advanced. On a personal level, sorry, I just don't feel like they had much of anything to do with each other. Tomoya helped her timid little ass out, she was kinda sorta nice to him, they hooked up, yadda yadda... Nagisa's pretty dull, tbh.

I mean, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if you'd read Tomoyo's arc in the visual novel. It's just uncanny how Tomoyo and Tomoya connect right off bat under such hilarious circumstances...and it's all so believable. Between the Sunohora beatings, she has a few words with him and she's all "for some reason, I feel a lot more comfortable talking to you". Of course she is, Tomoya is lax that way (in stark contrast to his idiot friend). And Tomoya is, of course, not taking shit seriously at all until they hang out some more and she starts to grow on him.

That's how real romances develop. You don't know the person, one initiates, the other accepts, the attraction eventually becomes mutual...none of this "let me go completely out of my way to help you with everything because I have nothing better to do" crap. I mean, Tomoya didn't help Tomoyo win student council in her route at all, he actually hated the idea and bagged on it every chance he got, then told her up front "yo babe fuck the student council, let's make out". Then they just throw caution to the wind lol.

The story just gets better and better from there. I fuckin' love it...going to read it for a third or fourth time tomorrow just because it's that good and I have some time to kill. TomoyoxTomya forever, bitches.
I have read tomoyo's arc in the visual novel, no I didn't skip anything, I played it for about 2 days but didn't fall in love with it or anything (and btw the "YOU ARE DIE!!!" is priceless.)

The story of Nagisa advanced through the romance and her overcoming her fears, which were linked, and fair enough if you don't like her, but that recap was enough to pull the life out of any story.

I'm not even going to comment on what you said about "how real love develops", as if real love cant come by helping somebody achieve something, it can come in a thousand ways, since there are a thousand ways to interact, love can be triggered by anything positive.
Old 2010-09-28, 18:57   Link #145
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
In my experiance, opposites tend to connect with a lot of things, you ever seen an outgoing girl with a timid best friend?, I do all the time, those kind of friends are always really tight.

It's silly to say that having different personalities would mean no connection, is that what connection is about? Being similar?
Like I said though, none of their personalities directly contrast with one another (at least not in any observable way), they're just two entirely different people who don't connect very well at all. Without Kotomi's childhood memories, their story would make absolutely no sense.

Quote:
I'm not even going to comment on what you said about "how real love develops", as if real love cant come by helping somebody achieve something, it can come in a thousand ways, since there are a thousand ways to interact, love can be triggered by anything positive.
My beef is not with the fact that Tomoya helped her, since that's just what he does, it's just that his motivation was weak for all the effort he put into aiding a girl he knew nothing about. Maybe it's just me, but I don't just wake up one day and say "I'm bored and have plenty of time to kill, so I'm going to help you stop being completely and utterly useless." That project would fail after day two.

I know, I know, it's fiction, suspension of disbelief, etc., but that's the way I feel about it. If it doesn't make sense, it just doesn't make sense.
Old 2010-09-30, 17:44   Link #146
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Quote:
Like I said though, none of their personalities directly contrast with one another (at least not in any observable way), they're just two entirely different people who don't connect very well at all. Without Kotomi's childhood memories, their story would make absolutely no sense.
I can only say I don't agree with you at all then, Kotomi's reservedness and fear of bullies seemed to mirror Tomoya's carefree nature, I found it interesting seeing him help her make friends, and it made sense in that way.

Quote:
My beef is not with the fact that Tomoya helped her, since that's just what he does, it's just that his motivation was weak for all the effort he put into aiding a girl he knew nothing about. Maybe it's just me, but I don't just wake up one day and say "I'm bored and have plenty of time to kill, so I'm going to help you stop being completely and utterly useless." That project would fail after day two.

I know, I know, it's fiction, suspension of disbelief, etc., but that's the way I feel about it. If it doesn't make sense, it just doesn't make sense.
Oh, so your problem is with the story telling, not the actual relationship?

Fair enough, but to me I never had any problem with the development of Nagisa's arc, everything seemed to run smoothly and realistically, it was believable at least to me. In the visual novel, you have to opt to keep talking to her and meeting her, which is basically creating a situation in which Tomoya is interested in Nagisa, so it makes sense that there is eventually an option to help her form the club. He didn't have much to do in his school life anyway, and at first he was fooling himself into thinking it would be a small act of kindness that wouldn't take long, that's how I saw it anyway.

Edit: Although your sarcastic "I'm bored and have plenty of time to kill, so I'm going to help you stop being completely and utterly useless" example seems a bit weird, you never met up with someone random and helped them out because you could? That's basically how all my friendship's started, at least in school.
Old 2010-10-01, 02:19   Link #147
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Oh no, I do that all the time, but I don't start campaigns to get people elected into the student council just so I can found an entire club for some chick I don't know and could barely even make it to school without fainting.

But hey, apparently Key created a character that helps people undergo personal transformations in his spare time, so who am I to argue?
Old 2010-10-01, 08:26   Link #148
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Am I missing something here? It's just helping an acquaintance form a club, he never went incredibly out of his way
Old 2010-10-01, 21:35   Link #149
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTRXD View Post
Am I missing something here? It's just helping an acquaintance form a club, he never went incredibly out of his way
Well he did randomly stop by, and since he had nothing to do generally... He found some spare time to help her form a club..
Old 2010-10-25, 23:55   Link #150
Silverwyrm

As far as Tomoya and Nagisa, I felt he gave her what she needed. Rather than someone who "did everything for her" he gave her a push and confidence to try do it on her own. Even if she required support, Nagisa needed to accomplish something with her own power.

Spoiler for Tomoyo, anime/vn spoilers:

Spoiler for Kotomi anime/vn spoilers:

Its been awhile since I played though so if I did forget something I'm sorry x.x
Old 2010-10-27, 04:02   Link #151
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Hey Kotomi is damn cute... she my typical quite girl l love....

By the way... is there any chance that they will have a KOTOMI Chapter with Tomoya??

She should have her fair share with Tomoya!!!
Old 2010-10-27, 09:08   Link #152
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Hey Kotomi is damn cute... she my typical quite girl l love....

By the way... is there any chance that they will have a KOTOMI Chapter with Tomoya??

She should have her fair share with Tomoya!!!
Na, no chance of that, her entire story was covered in the anime, in the original (and by that I mean the VN) its exactly the same except kotomi and tomoya get together in the end.

They had to do Tomoyo and Kyou's routes on a different timeline to the anime because their stories were centered around the romantic relationship, whereas the romantic side of Kotomi and Fuuko's arcs were easy to cut out because they came at the very end.

In case you didn't know, the visual novel is played by going through different routes, every story is on a separate timeline and you end up on a certain characters route depending on what you choose to do. Basically you have to replay the game again and again to complete it.
Old 2010-10-27, 20:24   Link #153
NoemiChan
Banned

Still it isn't enough, besides she seems to be the first girl that Tomoya gets close to....

l wanted to see what may likely happen if a almost forgotten friendship returns and sprouts as a romantic lovers relationship
Old 2010-10-28, 10:42   Link #154
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Still it isn't enough, besides she seems to be the first girl that Tomoya gets close to....

l wanted to see what may likely happen if a almost forgotten friendship returns and sprouts as a romantic lovers relationship
It isn't enough? The anime told the entire kotomi story minus the one scene at the end were they hug and become a couple, that OVA would be about twenty seconds long.
Old 2010-10-28, 16:21   Link #155
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Quote:
It isn't enough? The anime told the entire kotomi story minus the one scene at the end were they hug and become a couple, that OVA would be about twenty seconds long.
short OVA indeed... Well they could have just made things up possibly? (Anime Original?)
Old 2010-10-28, 16:35   Link #156
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
short OVA indeed... Well they could have just made things up possibly? (Anime Original?)
KyoAni doing something original?!?

Now your just talking crazy talk hun.
Old 2010-10-28, 16:46   Link #157
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Quote:
KyoAni doing something original?!?

Now your just talking crazy talk hun.
Well... They did make one "original" anime "Munto" a 2 episode OVA (each episode was 52 minutes)

Then came the followups with more episodes Munto 2: Beyond the Walls of Time, Sora o Miageru Shōjo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai, and Tenjō Jin to Akuto Jin Saigo no Tatakai

But thats the only original they seem to have...
Old 2010-10-28, 18:52   Link #158
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well... They did make one "original" anime "Munto" a 2 episode OVA (each episode was 52 minutes)

Then came the followups with more episodes Munto 2: Beyond the Walls of Time, Sora o Miageru Shōjo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai, and Tenjō Jin to Akuto Jin Saigo no Tatakai

But thats the only original they seem to have...
Yeah, never really been motivated to see that though, I'm not into watching anime's I don't know will be good XD

Did you see any of them? Are they good?
Old 2010-10-29, 15:31   Link #159
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, never really been motivated to see that though, I'm not into watching anime's I don't know will be good XD

Did you see any of them? Are they good?
Its somewhat on the "OK" side for me, wished they made more episodes instead of multiple seasons.
Old 2010-10-31, 03:32   Link #160
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Can you find me a links to that??? please
Closed Thread